Page 1 of 129 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Daily Australian News Thread 2014

New year, new thread.

What will be the big news issue of the year?

We get out of the group in Brazil?
    Jets win gf?
    Lucas Neil retires and is annoyed he doesn't get a ticker tape parade?
    WSW get bought by Vincent tan and made to were red and red hoops.

Banned
    THE Newcastle Jets are set to revamp their strike force for Saturday's clash with Perth at Hunter Stadium, but marquee man Emile Heskey is unlikely to be rushed back into the starting side.

Newcastle assistant coach Craig Deans admitted yesterday fresh legs were needed to provide spark up front after Sunday's 1-0 loss in Adelaide.

But Heskey, who has made only six appearances in an injury-disrupted season, and just one in the run-on XI, is expected to again be used as an impact player off the bench.

Newcastle will take no chances with the former English Premier League star, who turns 36 in 10 days, and plan to gradually increase his game time so that he is in peak condition for the business end of their campaign.

"That was his first game back from his little niggle that he picked up a few weeks ago," Deans said of Heskey yesterday.

"He got 25 minutes on the weekend. He's back to where we were about three or four weeks ago, so it might have to be another game or two of 25 or 30 minutes - hopefully a little bit more.

"It's quite a few games in a short period of time, so we just need to be careful that we don't push him too quickly."

Deans said head coach Gary van Egmond was pondering "bringing in a couple of fresher players" after Sunday's loss, the third time in Newcastle's past five games that they have been kept scoreless.

"We probably weren't at our best in the front third on the weekend and it's getting to the stage of the season where there are quite a few games coming pretty quickly, so it might be a good opportunity to try and freshen up a little bit in the front third," Deans said.

The chief candidates for promotion are former Western Sydney striker Joey Gibbs, whose only eight minutes in Newcastle's colours have produced a goal, and off-contract winger Craig Goodwin.

"Obviously Joey Gibbs had a game a couple of weeks ago up in Brisbane and scored a goal," Deans said.

"He was only on for a short period of time, but he did quite well.

"People like Joey and Craig Goodwin . . . there are a couple of options there."

Jets skipper Ruben Zadkovich said the next month would test Newcastle's depth.

They play five games in 31 days and will be without Young Socceroos Andrew Hoole, Connor Chapman and Josh Brillante for three of those fixtures.

They could also lose Nathan Burns if he returns to Korea when his loan deal with Newcastle expires on January 11.

"It's going to take a whole squad if we're going to be successful this year," Zadkovich said. "There are some boys that aren't playing that will get their chance in the next month or two and they've got to step up.
    See your ad here

"We're a very together squad. There's good team harmony here and we just want to make sure we're fighting hard and pushing each other.

"It's going to be a tough period, this next month, but we're confident we can get some good points."

● Wellington star Carlos Hernandez is to have surgery for a fractured wrist, ruling him out of action for at least five weeks, jeopardising his team's revival and his World Cup hopes with Costa Rica
    What did Carlos drop the KFC bucket on his wrist ???

Big news issue of the year.

HSG to offer GVE a contract to see him through to 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by 380 View Post
    Big news issue of the year.

HSG to offer GVE a contract to see him through to 2020.
    followed up by a media release correcting this and confirming GVE is actually signed through to 2200.

Football Federation Australia is on the verge of selling the Western Sydney Wanderers after a sale price was agreed with a private consortium headed by Primo Smallgoods boss Paul Lederer.

Lederer has long-been mooted as the likely candidate to buy the Wanderers' and has been in discussions about a financial stake in an A-League club for several years. He has submitted a joint offer alongside Pirtek founder Peter Duncan and a mystery Chinese businessman to take over the club.

Despite appointing equity firm UBS to find a potential buyer, the FFA has been in no rush to complete the proposed $15 million sale after the seeing the club's surging popularity continue this year. The FFA has not disclosed if their valuation, which was formulated several months ago, has been met or exceeded.

There is a chance the deal could be completed as early as March but if the FFA is not satisfied with the arrangement, a sale may be held off until the end of the season.

That was only the positive news for the club to emerge from Parramatta Stadium on New Years' Day as they slumped to a 3-1 defeat to Wellington Phoenix.

Wanderers coach Tony Popovic was at a loss to explain their capitulation in the final 25 minutes, where they conceded three times.

“It wasn't our best [performance]. We scored first but they got a good equaliser and then we got punished for our mistakes,” Popovic said. “It's the first time we've played at home this season and have lost. We've got to learn from it, which we will, and we'll move on quickly.”

Popovic said his side was so keen to find a winning goal that they let their defence slip.

“At 1-1, I was still comfortable but I think we tried too hard and tried to force the issue,” he said. “They took advantage and that's a credit to them. It's a first for us and the players are disappointed. We're not going to look too deep into it.”

Phoenix coach Ernie Merrick said such a performance from his side was certainly due.

“The boys tell me they can't remember being a goal behind and coming back to win but I think that's to do with the mental approach they've got now. We've been working on that day since one of pre-season,” he said. “All round we've been playing good football [this season], I think there's only two games we haven't been played well but the law of averages says it's got to come good and it did tonight.”

Merrick said 19-year-old substitute Tyler Boyd, who scored one and set up another after coming on, would take his game to the next level after that performance.

“He played a fair bit last year but didn't seem to have a sense of purpose about him but now he understands more about the job and he has a sense of purpose on the field,” Merrick said. “He did a very good job tonight. I couldn't ask anything else of him.”

THE Newcastle Jets will lose leading scorer Adam Taggart for up to three games this month after his belated call-up to the Australian under-22 side.

Taggart will join three of his Jets teammates at the Asian Football Conference Under-22 Championships in Oman.

Taggart was initially left out of Aurelio Vidmar’s 23-man squad, which includes fellow Jets Josh Brillante, Andrew Hoole and Connor Chapman, but was surprised to learn this week that he would be required at the 15-day tournament, which kicks off on January 11, after an injury to Perth’s Jamie Maclaren.

The four Novocastrians will be available for tomorrow’s clash with Perth Glory at Hunter Stadium but will miss the following matches against Melbourne Victory (home) and Melbourne Heart (away) – and possibly the January 25 derby with Central Coast (away) if Australia qualify for the finals.

Taggart’s selection will place more strain on Newcastle’s depth.

The Jets could soon be without winger Nathan Burns if the club cannot extend his loan deal from Korean outfit Incheon United.

The deal is set to expire on Saturday, January 11.

Jets officials were not complaining publicly yesterday about Taggart’s selection, but behind the scenes it is understood they have voiced concerns with Football Federation Australia.

Newcastle and Melbourne Victory are the most heavily represented A-League clubs, providing four players apiece to the national side at a crucial stage of the season.

Adding to Newcastle’s frustration, Taggart was originally omitted because Vidmar said he was well aware of his ability and preferred to use this tournament to assess other players in the countdown to the Rio Olympics.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond nonetheless denied that he was disappointed to lose Taggart, who has scored six goals this season, four more than any teammate.

‘‘You’re always happy when a player gets picked for the national team,’’ van Egmond said yesterday. ‘‘There’s no greater honour.’’

Brisbane’s coach, Mike Mulvey, queried publicly last month why Taggart had been left out of the original squad, saying: ‘‘I don’t know what the direction is that’s given to Aurelio, whether it’s to pick the strongest players, or blood some players.

‘‘The only surprise for me when I was looking at the squad was if we’re picking the best players that Adam Taggart was overlooked.’’

Van Egmond admitted the three games after tomorrow’s would be ‘‘an interesting little spell’’ but was confident his side had the resources to cope.

‘‘We’ll lose four players, and there’s still a little bit of doubt about Nathan,’’ he said.

‘‘But we’ve always been about being a squad, and when players get the opportunity, they have to be ready.

‘‘If players are out for whatever reason, it creates a chance for someone else.’’

Marquee striker Emile Heskey would be the ideal man to replace Taggart, but he is still battling for full fitness after an injury-interrupted season.

The former England international will again be used as an impact player off the bench tomorrow night. A strong showing could earn him a starting berth for the Victory game six days later.

‘‘He’s had a torrid time with the injuries,’’ van Egmond said of Heskey. ‘‘His knee is probably giving him a bit more grief than what we first thought.’’
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/20...ervice/?cs=306

damn, hope he goes well though.

RYAN Griffiths is poised to accept an invitation to train with the Newcastle Jets and admits rejoining the club could be an ‘‘option’’ if in-form winger Nathan Burns returned to Korea.

Burns, on loan from Incheon United, will be available for only two more A-League games if Newcastle cannot extend his current deal, which expires on January 11.

Jets coach Gary van Egmond said yesterday that Burns’s situation remained unresolved and the club had begun discussing alternatives.

‘‘There’s a few contingency plans,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘Obviously the one we’d like is for Nathan to stay here, but that might not be possible.

‘‘It might be out of our control. We’ll wait and see.’’

Perhaps the most obvious contingency is Griffiths, who is off contract, living in Newcastle and trying to find a new club after parting company with Chinese outfit Beijing Baxy two months ago.

Griffiths had been expecting to join Sarawak FA in the Malaysian Super League, but red tape curtailed the move.

The 32-year-old, who scored 19 goals in 55 games for the Jets between 2011 and last year, remains on good terms with van Egmond and his former teammates.

‘‘We’ve asked Ryan to come down and have a run with us, but up until now that hasn’t happened,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘He’s more than welcome if he wants to come and keep himself ticking over, but I’m not too sure what he wants to do.

‘‘I’ve got a fairly decent relationship with Ryan ... I think his priority is to head back to Asia, and we’d need a commitment that he would stay here for the rest of the season.’’

Griffiths said he was ready to take up van Egmond’s offer to ‘‘go and have a kick’’ with the Jets at training next week, but he was unsure if it would lead to anything concrete.

‘‘My ambition is still to go back over and play in Asia,’’ Griffiths told the Newcastle Herald yesterday.

‘‘But I guess at this stage I have to consider everything, and if something pops up at the Jets, that could be an option.

‘‘I suppose it all depends what happens with Nathan Burns and whether there is a position [available].

‘‘I think Nathan’s been doing well – he’s scored some good goals – and I expect the club will be trying as hard as they can to keep him.’’

Griffiths said that, despite a two-month lay-off, he would not take long to regain peak condition.

‘‘I’ve had a bit of a break, which I needed because I had basically played two full seasons back to back,’’ he said.

‘‘But I’ve still been exercising enough to keep myself fit. I’ve got my own gym set up at home and I’ve been doing my yoga and stretching.

‘‘I’m not a player who lets myself go. I know how important it is to keep ticking over. I’d say a couple of weeks back at training would be all I’d need and I’d be ready to play.’’
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/20...d-club/?cs=306

Have the tissues ready MFKS Kale might be in for a start.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Looking at you Mr Bridges time to retire so Ryu can come back home.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

From Australian Football facebook page -

Melbourne Victory and the Western Sydney Wanderers have been charged by the FFA for bringing the game into disrepute.

There is the real possibility that both clubs could be deducted 3 points each.
    On the right track, hopefully it curbs further violence/unsocial behaviour

No, it's not the right track. It's a strong reaction but the completely wrong one. What's to stop us all buying up some CCM and SFC gear next time they play, beating the shit out of each other to get them 3 points lost?

Bags not wearing CCM gear. I reckon pv4 already has some, so he can be one of the coasties.

abc reporting that wanderers and victory have been docked 3 points each, with the docking suspended for the rest of the season.

Grim, you don't think that maybe both clubs will now do something about the shit-head element in their fanbase? that maybe all the things people have been asking for (tickets being checked as you enter the bays, better security screening etc) might actually happen now?

lastly, you don't make an omelette without cracking eggs. i'm with wolfman.

Football Federation Australia has announced it will strip the Western Sydney Wanderers and Melbourne Victory of three competition points should their fans misbehave again this season.

The two clubs have been charged with bringing the game into disrepute regarding the clashes between their fans, which occurred prior to their 1-1 draw at AAMI Park last week.

It is an unprecedented step by the Whitlam Square, for never before has an Australian A-League or National Soccer League team had points deducted for crowd trouble.

The governing body was also upset at the way the two clubs then engaged in a slanging match via their respective press releases, which the governing body decried as “as inappropriate and damaging to the interests of the A-League.”

FFA chief executive David Gallop acknowledged the potential penalties were severe but said it would act as a deterrent.

“Loss of points that have been won fairly on the pitch is a harsh penalty, but it’s in equal measure to the enormous damage caused by the type anti-social behaviour seen in Melbourne last Saturday,” Gallop said.

“The troublemakers are hurting the club they claim to support. They need to understand that the consequences of their reckless conduct will be felt on the A-League competition table if trouble persists.”

In a statement released on Friday morning, the FFA confirmed the two clubs had previously received warnings about fan behaviour.

“I have great sympathy for the overwhelming majority of fans who are sickened by the misconduct of a few, but it’s time to make the consequences clear to everyone,” he said. “We want a safe, enjoyable and family-friendly environment in the A-League and we won’t tolerate bad behaviour.”

FFA said they made the decision based on “extensive briefing and detailed reports on the 28 December incidents compiled by Victoria Police, stadium managers and FFA’s security advisers”.

The clubs have until 5pm next Monday to appeal against the sanctions laid down by the FFA.
    seb hassett article.

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    abc reporting that wanderers and victory have been docked 3 points each, with the docking suspended for the rest of the season.

Grim, you don't think that maybe both clubs will now do something about the shit-head element in their fanbase? that maybe all the things people have been asking for (tickets being checked as you enter the bays, better security screening etc) might actually happen now?

lastly, you don't make an omelette without cracking eggs. i'm with wolfman.
    Oh, definitely. But how do either club have any impact on a brawl that happens 5km away from the stadium? How exactly does better security at the ground, scanning tickets etc have any impact whatsoever?

And why have SFC not had similar sanctions after one of their fans STABBED SOMEONE?

fair points, and i'm not going to say it's a perfect solution, but i still support the move.

http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/ne...-charged/82204

FFA statement says suspended until end of season. Weak as piss on WSW IMHO. Victory about right.

dangerous road these blokes are going down

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    fair points, and i'm not going to say it's a perfect solution, but i still support the move.
    I support a move but not this one.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    dangerous road these blokes are going down
    Agreed. What's to stop me going to my private carpark at mariners hq, grabbing a bunch of ccm jerseys, causing a mess at their game & getting ccm docked points?

Also as its been pointed out - how dafuq is wsw & mv in trouble, yet sfc arent for their fan stabbing someone?

The only fix I can see working is to have a crowd lockout. Fabs won't travel, TV numbers to go up, the ffa wins
    OK