Page 15 of 129 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I actually really hope he can do a job for us. He definitely has the communication skills from what I can see
    Yeah I'm growing to him, I like what he is saying about simplifying roles and getting heskey more involved. Sounds like gve forced the team into total confusion

Banned
    Man City taking over Melburn Heart???

All I will say is Northern Spirit >> Glasgow Rangers

Not necessarily a match made in heaven as it may appear

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Man City taking over Melburn Heart???

All I will say is Northern Spirit >> Glasgow Rangers

Not necessarily a match made in heaven as it may appear
    Aye they're both dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    First time in a while I've heard a coach speak more than five minutes without resorting to cliches, deflecting questions or mindless bs. Didn't give too much away either. Hope he does as well on the side of the pitch as he does in front the cameras. Very refreshing. Would be ****ing sick to have a local in charge.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 23-01-2014 at 08:22 PM.

Any news on GC? (Griff clearance)
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Mate I've actually had big issues with plastic pool toys they can get wrecked quite easily. Best to get ones that are solid, like the beanbag seat for pools.

Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    Abu Dhabi taking control of the sporting cities of the world

Manchester
    New York
    Melbourne.

Qatar next
    With the new Asean Super League to start in 2015 one would think a Singapore City or Jakarta City is on the cards too.

I'm sure they would love a CSL, J-League & K-League Brand too.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Bosnar training with FC
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

So....whatever happened to Nathan Burns ?

Hit the bong, gave up football

Banned
    HIGH OCTANE winger Andrew Hoole is set to be rewarded for a spectacular second-half cameo with a return to the Jets starting side for the vital visit of Western Sydney Wanderers.

Hoole was one of the few positives to emerge from the 3-0 loss to fierce rivals Central Coast Mariners at Bluetongue Stadium on Saturday.

See your ad here

The home-grown 20-year-old was injected at half-time and put the Mariners on the back foot with his explosive bursts down the flank and into the penalty box.

Such was the impact, Hoole was awarded one vote in the broadcaster Fox Sports’s Alex Tobin Medal voting for a non-stop 45-minute shift.

The local derby doubled as the first game in charge for caretaker coach Clayton Zane, who replaced the sacked Gary van Egmond a week ago.

Wary of fielding tired bodies in a fierce grudge match, Zane opted to bring in only two of the four Australian under-22 players who arrived back from Oman late Wednesday night. Adam Taggart and Josh Brillante started in a new-look 4-4-2 formation.

Hoole was left on the bench. Connor Chapman was not involved.

It is a scenario unlikely to happen again any time soon after a commanding performance by the Broadmeadow Magic product.

‘‘Hooley was fantastic and makes it pretty difficult to leave him out now,’’ assistant coach Craig Deans said.

‘‘We need to make sure we reward people for good performances, and he certainly had one".

‘‘He is a good kid. He is very positive, and pretty aggressive, which sometimes we need to put a check on.

‘‘He is a very much an off-the-cuff player and was given the task of trying to make it difficult for the Mariners.

‘‘His ability to beat people, dribble with the ball and create some opportunities was really good. If he can add some goal-scoring to that as well, it would be handy.’’

A two-time winner of the Jets youth team player of the year, Hoole made his A-League debut last season at right back and has started in 10 of his 12 games this campaign.

His introduction for Brillante at half-time against the Mariners forced a reshuffle and allowed skipper Ruben Zadkovich to shift from right midfield to his preferred role in the centre of midfield.

Zadkovich's likely return to a central role, combined with the availability of Ben Kantarovski, who missed the Mariners game due to suspension and a minor knee injury, will pose a selection dilemma.

The defeat to the Mariners, the fourth in the past five A-League games, dropped the Jets to eighth and in desperate need of a win at Hunter Stadium on Saturday to stay in touch with the top six.

Although yet to fully analyse the performance, Deans said they would most likely continue with the new formation.

"It is not a great difference to previously," he said.

"It was just asking Tags to stay a little closer to Emile.

"It is about getting the balance right. How much time he spends near Emile and how much time he spends in the midfield being apart of the build-up.

"It is the little things we need to get right.

"They scored two pretty good goals.

"We could have applied a little more pressure on the ball to prevent the two shots but defensively we didn't do too bad."

Deans admitted the sacking of Gary van Egmond had been difficult but said everyone was focused on the job ahead.

"It's always difficult when you have a change in coach," he said.

"It effects people in different ways.

"Every coach that comes in has their own spin on things.

"Clayton had a few things he would like to see changed.

"That doesn't always happen overnight.

"The quicker that happens the better. There are no excuses from here on in. Whatever the tactics are and whoever is chosen to play, needs to do a job."

Deans is also adjusting to the new coaching structure but was confident of a successful working partnership.

"It is not nice to see people lose their job, whether that is at your club or another club," he said. "The club have explained the reasoning behind everything, and how it is all working.

"I'm happy with the role I have. It has been explained to me why I am in that role.

"I'm comfortable with that, and want to makes sure I support Clayton as much as I can, as I have Gary and Branko [Culina] previously to him. For me, it is about the team and making sure we are successful."
    So by this statement Deans if you really mean that I take it we will be finally seeing Kale get his chance after his hat trick and Crotch Level performance last weekend???

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    So by this statement Deans if you really mean that I take it we will be finally seeing Kale get his chance after his hat trick and Crotch Level performance last weekend???
    On the converse does that mean players will be punished for crap performances

Derby disaster against Central Coast Mariners may impact Newcastle Jets' hip pocket

Barry Toohey
    The Daily Telegraph
    January 28, 2014 11:00PM

NEWCASTLE Jets' 3-0 drubbing at the hands of arch-rival Central Coast may prove more costly than just their tumble down the premiership ladder - it could also indirectly hit the club hard in the hip pocket.

Heading into their biggest home game of the season against the Western Sydney Wanderers on Saturday night, Jets officials described ticket sales as "sluggish" with supporters left reeling from the F3 derby disaster.

"Yeah, it's been a bit slow and the last thing we want is to be outnumbered by Wanderers supporters on our home ground," Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said.

"But we have great support and I'm confident our fans will respond and come out in force for the game because it's such a crucial clash for Clayton (coach Zane) and the boys from a finals perspective."

If the buzz is missing among Newcastle supporters right now, one player who could have reignited things is striker Joel Griffiths.

But the former A-League Golden Boot winner remains at long odds to play because of an ongoing dispute with his former Chinese club Qingdao Jonoon.

Griffiths signed with the Jets for the rest of the season more than a fortnight ago but is yet to lace on a boot with Qingdao refusing to grant him a release because of a dispute over the financial terms of his termination.

Jets management have been working around the clock with Griffiths, the Players Association and the FFA in a bid to reach a settlement but were not confident on Tuesday it will be done in time for the Wanderers clash.

"We've had a lot of inquiries from our members and the media today about where Joel stands but at this stage, all I can say is it's an ongoing process and we are doing everything we can to expedite things,"Middleby said.

"But it appears unlikely we'll have him available for the Wanderers."

Security, meanwhile, will be beefed up considerably at Hunter Stadium with a significant police presence anticipated to combat potential anti-social behaviour.
    I have a dream, a dream for the jets to one day have competent management... actually I think I'd just be happy to have con's crew back at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Most of the people that buy tickets / attend games are members so it won't make a massive difference financially

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    I have a dream, a dream for the jets to one day have competent management... actually I think I'd just be happy to have con's crew back at this point.
    Why on earth would Middleby make these comments?

"Yeah, it's been a bit slow and the last thing we want is to be outnumbered by Wanderers supporters on our home ground," Jets CEO Robbie Middleby said.
    Given that we have over 10,000 members and last time the Wanderers only brought up 2,000 - 3,000 fans, there's absolutely no chance of being outnumbered regardless of ticket sales. Why would you embarrass the club by saying this?
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Why on earth would Middleby make these comments?
    Given that we have over 10,000 members and last time the Wanderers only brought up 2,000 - 3,000 fans, there's absolutely no chance of being outnumbered regardless of ticket sales. Why would you embarrass the club by saying this?
    We'll be out sung cause 9/10 of newcastle are too cool/lame to make a noise. If it wasnt for a thining bay 2 it might as well be a knights crowd. unk unk unk

if the people staying away don't care enough to go, they obviously won't care if we get outnumbered.

Honestly, after seeing that shambolic performance last week, I'm questioning if I'm going to go.

I don't see the point of attending just to watch 11 guys act as though they don't give a shit.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Got a wedding to attend so kinda happy to have that excuse

Sticking by them no matter what.