Page 104 of 129 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

From The Herald

Jets clear for take-off in defining year of change
    By JAMES GARDINER Oct. 8, 2014, 10:30 p.m.

LAST SEASON

Position: 7th, 10 wins, six draws, 11 losses, 36 points, 34 goals for, 34 against

NEW SIGNINGS

Marcos Flores (Central Coast): Won the Johnny Warren Medal in 2010-11 when at Adelaide. Coming back from a knee reconstruction and out to prove a point after being let go by the Mariners. The Jets have not had a genuine playmaker since Nick Carle left after season two. The strikers should be the beneficiary of his vision, skilful passing and creativity. Will get better as the season progresses.

Billy Celeski (Liaoning Whowin): A late addition whose start to the season has been delayed by minor groin surgery. Won a title and featured in four finals series at Melbourne Victory. Direct replacement for Ruben Zadkovich. Quality defensive midfielder when fit and firing.

Jonny Steele (New York Red Bulls): Dynamic left winger who gets up and down the touchline. Essentially replaces Craig Goodwin. Is more aggressive and appears a bigger threat on goal. His combination with former Red Bulls teammate Dave Carney could be crucial.

Adrian Madaschi (Jeju United): Veteran left stopper. Tall and experienced, but has been hampered by a calf issue in the latter stages of the pre-season. Not the quickest but is a good organiser and alongside skipper Kew Jaliens should provide leadership from the back.

Sam Gallagher (Hanoi T&T): Can play left stopper or left fullback. The Jets are his fourth A-League club. Has been one of the positives of the pre-season and will challenge Madaschi and Taylor Regan hard for a regular starting berth.

Jeronimo Neumann (Adelaide United): Was deemed surplus to requirements by Adelaide coach Josep Gombau despite netting nine goals. Replaces Adam Taggart, but don’t expect the same yield. Can play on the right but is more suited at the nine spot. Will compete with Joel Griffiths and Edson Montano for game time.

Edson Montano (Barcelona Sporting Club): Promising Ecuadorean striker. All power. Played at an under-20 World Cup and has four senior caps. Speaks little English. Might take time to adjust to Australian game and culture but should score goals. His girlfriend arrived this month from Ecuador.

Allan Welsh (Croydon Kings): Promising central defender who can also play as a defensive midfielder. Tall but with good feet. More a project player but will undoubtedly get a chance.

Josh Barresi (Western Sydney): Ruptured his ACL in a friendly against Juventus and is out for the season.

DEPARTURES

Michael Bridges (retired), Josh Brillante (Fiorentina), James Brown (Melbourne City), Connor Chapman (Melbourne City), Nathan Burns (loan expired), Joey Gibbs (released), Emile Heskey (released), Josh Mitchell (Liaoning Whowin), Adam Taggart (Fulham), Nick Ward (injury replacement expired), Ruben Zadkovich (Perth Glory)

THE WASH-UP

On the surface, the departures outweigh the arrivals. The biggest loss in terms of name is Heskey. The former England and Liverpool star scored 11 goals in two seasons, and of those only two came last campaign. His loss will be felt more in the dressing room where he was a magnet for players and a great professional. The biggest shoes to fill are those of Taggart. He won the Golden Boot with 16 goals and supplied nearly half of the 34 scored.

Skipper Ruben Zadkovich and midfielder Josh Brillante head the list of other notable departures. Zadkovich set the tone with his defensive bite, energy and enthusiasm but was prone to the odd brain snap. Brillante split his time between right back and midfield and was just starting to dominate games.

2014-2015 full strength team

4-2-3-1 Birighitti; Scott Neville, Kew Jaliens, Adrian Madaschi, David Carney; Billy Celeski, Zenon Caravella; Jeronimo, Marcos Flores, Jonny Steele; Joel Griffiths.

4-4-2 Ben Kennedy; Josh Brillante, Kew Jaliens, Josh Mitchell, Sam Gallaway; Joel Griffiths, Ben Kantarovski, Ruben Zadkovich, David Carney; Adam Taggart, Emile Heskey

2014-2015 full strength team comments

GK: Mark Birighitti – Had a strong start last season but ended up sitting on the bench for the final four games. Lost his way after a trial with Bayer Leverkusen but was selected in Socceroos extended squad for World Cup. Missed a place in Brazil but gained a ton of confidence from the experience in camp.

RD: Scott Neville – Returns after missing most of last season with a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament. A bit rusty early but has improved in each of the past three friendlies. Was in career-best form before the injury. Very much a confidence player. Has pace and is a threat overlapping. Comes in for Josh Brillante, who was outstanding despite considering himself a central midfielder.

CD: Kew Jaliens – Has been given the captaincy after the departure of Zadkovich. Made a great start last season but faded. Good organiser and sets high standards. Is dangerous from set pieces.

CD: Adrian Madaschi – Replaces Josh Mitchell who was let go despite a strong finish to the season. Left stopper has been a trouble spot for the Jets. He has height and experience but lacks mobility. Sam Gallagher, Taylor Regan and Allan Welsh will keep him honest.

LD: David Carney – A class act. Struggled with a lower back problem early in the pre-season which impacted on his training. Has improved his fitness, has a beautiful left foot and great vision. Makes up for lack of pace with smarts.

CM: Billy Celeski – An area of strength last season is almost threadbare. Celeski is a proven performer. Can play as a six or eight and the Jets need him to be fit and firing. A totally different player to Zadkovich.

CM: Zenon Caravella – Back after a three-month stint in Cairns helping run the family backpackers hostel. Was in career best form when he called it quits. His composure on the ball and ability to pull the strings from midfield will be crucial. He has been playing in the Queensland state league and should only take a few weeks to get up to speed. Pushing both will be Ben Kantarovski. It shapes an important season for the home-grown player, whose knee continues to hive him grief.

RM: Jeronimo – Prefers to play at the point. Has tons of pace, is lethal from distance and reliable crosser of the ball. Joel Griffiths finished last season on the right wing, but at 35 is better suited centrally. Andrew Hoole could be the wildcard. Quick and dynamic with great engines. Now all he has to do is score goals.

No.10: Marcos Flores – The Jets have not had a No.10 of his ilk – any for that matter – since Nicky Carle won the Johnny Warren medal in 2007. Much of the Jets hopes will rest on the Argentinian and his creative spark. If he can get on a roll and open the way for his front men, the team and town will jump on his coat tails. Is coming back from a knee reconstruction, which is a big question mark, but is extremely driven.

LM: Jonny Steele – Taggart and Goodwin both played there last season. Steele is an out and out left winger. He is all action, has pace and a lethal left foot. Won’t die wondering. FW: Joel Griffiths – In the latter stages of his career but still quick across the ground. Runs great lines and is a proven finisher. Should benefit from having Flores in behind. You are almost guaranteed 10 goals a season from him. Will have Edson Montano and Jeronimo pushing for game time.

THIS WILL BE A BIG YEAR FOR

You could list half the squad here. Marcos Flores, Dave Carney, Jeronimo, Edson Montano, Scott Neville and Billy Celeski all have reasons to be motivated. But in terms of career and the next move, Mark Birighitti has the most at stake. The ambitious keeper was on the verge of a move to the Bundesliga until a deal with Bayer Leverkusen broke down at the death. A European move remains the goal, and he also has his sights set on Socceroos selection for the Asia Cup.

THE BOTTOM LINE

The Jets are desperate to end a four-year absence from the finals but will need to tick a lot of boxes to achieve that goal. There has been a major turnover in playing personnel and staff. What was a young squad is now one of the more experienced in the league. Phil Stubbins finally gets a chance in charge of an A-League side. He has some big personalities to manage, and a priority will be keeping them motivated and on the same page. Marcos Flores has to stay sound and reproduce the magic that earned a Johnny Warren Medal in Adelaide four years ago. David Carney, Kew Jaliens, Jonny Steele, Jeronimo, Billy Celeski and Joel Griffiths are proven performers. Throw in the potential of Edson Montano and Andrew Hoole and there is a lot to like. Four games away from home to start the season will test their resolve and the uncertainty over the club’s ownership will be bubbling away in the background. Stubbins has a glass half-full approach and if the players jump on board, the month of May could be spent playing finals rather than on an end-of-season trip.

FULL SQUAD

KEEPERS: Mark Birighitti, Ben Kennedy, John Solari

DEFENDERS: Kew Jaliens, Adrian Madaschi, Taylor Regan, Allan Welsh, Sam Gallagher, Sam Gallaway, Scott Neville, Dave Carney, Jacob Pepper

MIDFIELDERS: Ben Kantarovski, Billy Celeski, Zenon Caravella, Mitch Cooper, Marcos Flores, Jonny Steele, James Virgili, Andrew Hoole, Josh Barresi

FORWARDS: Jeronimo Neumann, Joel Griffiths, Edson Montano.
    OK

From The Herald

Jets veteran David Carney says don't write us off
    By ROBERT DILLON Oct. 8, 2014, 10 p.m.

FORMER Socceroo David Carney admits the Newcastle Jets are playing for respect this season and the only way to earn it is to reach the A-League play-offs.

Finals spectators in their past four campaigns, the Jets have been widely dismissed after an off-season in which they changed coaches and experienced a wholesale turnover of players, including the departure of key players Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante and Ruben Zadkovich.

In the countdown to their round-one clash with Central Coast at Gosford on Saturday, Newcastle are ahead of only Wellington Phoenix on the premiership betting market.

After training on Wednesday, Carney said senior players such as himself ‘‘don’t really buy into it’’ but gave an insight into the mindset of his teammates.

‘‘It’s good to be the underdogs but it is a little bit disrespectful now,’’ he said.

‘‘I remember reading something about when Western Sydney first started they were written off as wooden spooners and they ended up winning [the minor premiership]. Anyone can beat anyone in this league. It’s about making sure you’re fully prepared ... that’s what it comes down to.’’

A veteran of 48 games for Australia and two World Cups, Carney said a top-six position was a realistic goal for the Jets, who finished seventh last year, two points behind the finalists.

‘‘Our aim is to get into the play-offs,’’ he said.

‘‘I think Newcastle won it five or six years ago and they weren’t favourites to win it, so it can be done ... we’ve spoken about it a lot. It keeps getting mentioned – four years for Newcastle.

‘‘They love their football here in Newcastle, so it’s unfortunate for the fans.’’

The 30-year-old, who played seven games for the Jets last season after joining them in February, said Newcastle’s four-game block of away games to open their campaign would be crucial to their hopes at the business end of the year.

After the Mariners, Newcastle are on the road against Melbourne City, Wellington and Perth as they wait for the newly relaid Hunter Stadium pitch to become available for the round-five clash with Melbourne Victory.

‘‘Hopefully we can get off to a good start,’’ he said. ‘‘We don’t really want to leave it to the last five or six games to go on a winning streak this year. So hopefully we can get in the play-offs early and stay in there.’’

Jets skipper Kew Jaliens echoed Carney’s sentiments.

‘‘We know we have four hard away games, and if you get through it well it only benefits us for the rest of the comp,’’ he said. ‘‘So for us, it’s essential to get a good start ... you can’t afford a slow start. If you want to have success, you’ve got to be there from minute one.’’

Jaliens said Newcastle’s disappointing record at Gosford, where they have not won since January, 2008, was of no concern.

‘‘I never look at the past,’’ he said. ‘‘I look to the future and it’s a chance for us to get three points away.

‘‘Not only for us but also for the club and the supporters. It’s a big game.’’

Carney predicted both teams would stick to a no-frills game plan in the season-opener.

‘‘I’ve played in a few leagues and the first game, most teams sit back and don’t want to concede,’’ he said. ‘‘It’s a bit naive, but it normally happens. After the second or third game, it normally starts to open up a bit. I think the first game’s very important not to get beaten.’’
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    You mean back when we were winning?

I think you've just solved your own dilemma.
    Yes, partially. Winning is a major component. But there was a number of things behind the scenes that made.the club attractive at that time and there were things that we're not being done properly that people grumbled about and should be fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    Yes, partially. Winning is a major component. But there was a number of things behind the scenes that made.the club attractive at that time and there were things that we're not being done properly that people grumbled about and should be fixed.
    I'm with you Hauss, the Geordies never win anything but have massive support.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    I'm with you Hauss, the Geordies never win anything but have massive support.
    They won promotion a few times.
    Prob get the chance to do that again real soon.

My favourite part about that first article is that Biraz is GK in the 4-2-3-1 but BK is preferred in the 4-4-2...

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    My favourite part about that first article is that Biraz is GK in the 4-2-3-1 but BK is preferred in the 4-4-2...
    I think something has gone wrong by whoever wrote that article because the 442 lineup (or if I'm GVE, the 1-4-4-2 lineup) features last years players.
    OK

The 4-4-2 is what were were playing at back end of last year. Look at the line up it contains Brillante, Taggart, Zads, Heskey
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    The 4-4-2 is what were were playing at back end of last year. Look at the line up it contains Brillante, Taggart, Zads, Heskey
    So, what you are saying is the article is poorly written?

Yeah, I took it as the writer was comparing last years formation/players to this years?
    Or was I giving too much credit?

So, what you are saying is the article is poorly written?
    Im assuming a headding "2013-2014 Full Strength Line Up" has been missed?
    But yes, its a f*ck up somewhere
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Im assuming a headding "2013-2014 Full Strength Line Up" has been missed?
    But yes, its a f*ck up somewhere
    I checked The Herald site again and it definitely wasn't a copy/paste issue - they've missed an extra heading or note to say in comparison to.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I checked The Herald site again and it definitely wasn't a copy/paste issue - they've missed an extra heading or note to say in comparison to.
    ****ing herald. And that's why I don't go to their site, ****ing amateurs.

from 442

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/g...-says-stubbins

Gutted by loss but don't write off Jets, says Stubbins
    Newcastle coach Phil Stubbins revealed his disappointment after the Jets lost their A-League opener in the final minutes of the match, vowing his side will prove plenty of people wrong this season.

The Jets dominated large parts of the F3 Derby on Saturday and seemed set for a point against the Central Coast Mariners, before Mitchell Duke struck from a free-kick in injury time.

Newcastle had a goal disallowed for offside, racked up a host of chances, enjoyed 53% possession and notched up a 7-0 corner count over the home side at Central Coast Stadium but still went home empty-handed.

“That was tough to take,” Stubbins admitted to FourFourTwo.

“Cruel, but reality - I'm gutted for the boys and our supporters that travelled down.

“I’ve spoken all along about winning but most importantly what it costs to win. That scenario unfolded in the 93rd minute unfortunately.

“We also had chances to score but overall I’m happy with the performance albeit disappointed for the loss.

“Look, it will take some time to get everything up to speed with the fluency and effectiveness of our play but I’m proud of how the boys performed.

“We want to create a strong identity at the Jets with a strong culture attached to our play. We will continue to keep demanding of the group and pushing them on and searching for constant improvement in our play.

“We’re rebuilding at the moment, which won’t happen overnight, but we can definitely take lots of positives out of that first game as a team moving forward.”

The Jets were missing a number of midfielders with injury and their season won’t get any easier with an away trip to face Melbourne City this Sunday.

Many pundits has already written off the Novocastrians before the season started and have tipped them for the wooden spoon.

Stubbins said this is proving extra motivation.

“It certainly doesn’t sit well with me personally and I know the group is of the same thought,” he said.

“We have a fantastic supporter base here in Newcastle and a ground that needs 20,000 plus in it every time we play at home.

“We want that to be a reality but we know that won’t happen unless results and progress of the club take effect for the better.

“However, that’s going to take time to find that winning formula on a consistent basis but the signs from my viewpoint are very positive. They can keep writing us off but this group will prove them wrong.”

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/g...8osUa3tKQWc.99

Didnt publicly tear strips of any players?
    who doe sthis bloke think he is?
    bring back GVE.

please note: sarcasm may or may not have been used in this post.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 13-10-2014 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    from 442

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/g...-says-stubbins

Didnt publicly tear strips of any players?
    who doe sthis bloke think he is?
    bring back GVE.

please note: sarcasm may or may not have been used in this post.
    ha ha ha

It's a pleasant change
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Provides a point of difference in the Managerial-third

Stubbins today:

“We want to create a strong identity at the Jets with a strong culture attached to our play. We will continue to keep demanding of the group and pushing them on and searching for constant improvement in our play.

“We have a fantastic supporter base here in Newcastle and a ground that needs 20,000 plus in it every time we play at home.

Robbie Middleby in the Herald the other day:

but the product that we’ve got is some exciting talent and new coach [Phil Stubbins] with new ideas,’’ he said. ‘‘He brings in a new philosophy, although I hate using that word,

Now I can only guess why Robbie hates using the word "philosophy", but I think its just great that Phil doesn't seem to mind talking about it. He seems pretty clear on implementing his philosophy. I would much rather hear Phil talk about "fantastic supporter base" than hear Middleby use his usual marketing/management speak: "members and supporters", "product", or "kpis".

Another breath of fresh air from Phil.
    Last edited by hausmann; 13-10-2014 at 12:03 PM.

hey, it isn't just us who thought GVE sent players backwards!

Jets’ graveyard resurrected
    While Adam Taggart and Josh Brillante were two undoubted success stories from the Newcastle Jets last season, the number of emerging stars that failed to push on far outnumbered them.

Craig Goodwin, touted as a future talent since his Melbourne Heart days, almost went backwards after a breathtaking start to life in Newy. Now he’s looking reinvigorated with his role as a left wingback with Adelaide, and his performance against Brisbane was impressive.

Although the final ball is still missing from his game at times, neat combinations with his new teammates will give the man a massive confidence boost.

Meanwhile, former teammate James Brown produced more in 10 minutes for his new club Melbourne City than he did during his entire time with the Jets. The 24-year-old with a penchant for hipster glasses cracked a controlled shot off the crossbar and released Aaron Mooy with an exquisitely lofted ball.

Granted, he had a multitude of injury troubles at the Jets, but this was an assured and confident performance.

And the Jets’ other maligned winger, James Virgili, also put in a solid shift against the Central Coast Mariners. The highlight was a precise first-time ball for Jonny Steele, whose cheeky lob had just a little too much curry.

What the hell did Gary van Egmond do to these poor boys?
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/13...s-musky-magic/

mckay "offered" two weeks on the side line.

http://www.footballaustralia.com.au/...7ezmol5dx0iwaq

If he was sent off for abuse, then he should get a minimum 3 weeks (1+2). I think that's what the minimum is in newcastle football.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out