Page 107 of 129 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Banned
    JETS coach Phil Stubbins is not one to apportion blame to individuals.

While external pressures mount due to the uncertainty over the club’s ownership under Nathan Tinkler, Stubbins is trying to foster a competitive unity in the team.

That is why he believes his No.1 goalkeeper, Mark Birighitti, is under no pressure for his spot leading into Sunday’s clash with Wellington at Westpac Stadium, despite conceding late goals in their opening two A-League games, against the Central Coast Mariners and Melbourne City.

Those goals, scored in injury time and the 87th minute, have cost the Jets a draw against the Mariners and two points against City.

‘‘We don’t point fingers at anyone in the team,’’ Stubbins said. ‘‘If you flip that on the other side, we’ve had opportunities to win the games and we haven’t taken them.

‘‘Rather than blame anyone, I’d say it’s a team effort and regardless of the score we’re all in it together.

‘‘From my perspective I certainly won’t be pointing fingers at anyone and just asking every individual to raise the bar themselves.

‘‘That collectively raises the standards of the team.’’

Birighitti is not alone in being beaten at the near post by a David Villa strike.

The Spanish star is his nation’s greatest goalscorer and has beaten the world’s best glovemen.

‘‘I saw it a little late through a crowd of players, but the disappointing thing being a goalkeeper is I saw it late, got a hand onto it, but just wasn’t strong enough,’’ Birighitti said. ‘‘These things happen and I’ve just got to focus on next week.’’

At Wednesday’s training session the competitive fire in the squad was palpable.

Joel Griffiths and Jonny Steele exchanged heated words and bumped shoulders, David Carney was barking and Zenon Caravella joked afterwards the boys would need shin pads for the next session.

Birighitti has plenty of competition for his position from Ben Kennedy.

After starting the opening 23 rounds of last season, Birighitti was usurped for the final four matches by Kennedy.

After the first off-season under Stubbins, Birighitti was reinstalled as No.1 keeper.

‘‘That’s what you want in a training session – lots of people fighting for spots,’’ Birighitti said. ‘‘That’s the beauty of the game. You want to be fighting for your position and have nothing come easy.

‘‘It was there last year, but not as much as this year.

‘‘It’s one thing the gaffer has implemented in the playing group is that hunger to win your individual battle, and it showed out there, and we need to take that into games as well.’’
    Hello Couscous

Banned
    Joel Griffiths and Jonny Steele exchanged heated words and bumped shoulders

Flores raising our media profile...or not:
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/26...moment/?cs=305
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by zorse View Post
    Flores raising our media profile...or not:
    http://www.theherald.com.au/story/26...moment/?cs=305
    LOL
    That really shits me the way its reported, making out in the heading that he said "Don't you know who I am?" when in actual fact, he didn't, its just that he could have..
    Typical..

I remember watching The Project one night and they were interviewing people on the streets about mobile phones, and one of the people they interviewed was Connor Chapman (about a week after announcing his move to Melb City) and he said he wanted his phone to text for him while he's driving
    OK

Lowy flags multi-tier, expanded A-League

Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy says it’s only a matter of time until the A-League expands to a 12-team competition and adopts a system of promotion and relegation.

The 84-year-old flagged the changes in a television interview aired on Wednesday.

In particular, he said the introduction of a multi-tier model was all but inevitable.

“I think we should take that into consideration because eventually we will have to have promotion and relegation,” Lowy told Fox Sports.

“In my estimation, we will be made to do that.”

Lowy said the FFA was being encouraged by the sport’s governing bodies to expand the competition.

But the shopping centre mogul said they understood the process would take time and weren’t pressing too hard.

“They know that we have started, it will take time,” he said.

“Nobody’s pressing us at the moment except ourselves.”

He said Australia and the United States are the only two countries in the world who do not employ a promotion and relegation structure.

Two more teams should also be introduced by the time the current broadcast deal is replaced following the 2016/17 season, Lowy said.

From there he said a 14-team competition could also be on the cards.

“That process is already underway,” Lowy explained.

“Research is being made where and when should a new team be established throughout Australia.”

Wollongong, Canberra, Cairns and south-west Brisbane have all been touted as potential homelands for new A-League clubs.

Lowy has previously predicted the sport’s popularity would double, if not triple, in the next decade.

The chairman – who has seen the Socceroos qualify for three consecutive World Cup finals during his tenure – will step down in November 2015.
    http://www.theroar.com.au/2014/10/29...panded-league/

almost nailed on Brisbane will get another side...... derbies derbies derbies the ffa want more derbies.

maybe Maitland or cessnock should pitch for a team.

Promotion and relegation would be the biggest step the competition has taken since it's inception. What will happen to clubs that are relegated? Will their owners walk away? You'd hope the TV deal is enough to support the clubs in that manner and also have any second tier competition televised.

A long long long way off in my opinion. I'm thinking it'll be a while until the sport is able to sustain relegation/promotion in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Promotion and relegation would be the biggest step the competition has taken since it's inception. What will happen to clubs that are relegated? Will their owners walk away? You'd hope the TV deal is enough to support the clubs in that manner and also have any second tier competition televised.

A long long long way off in my opinion. I'm thinking it'll be a while until the sport is able to sustain relegation/promotion in this country.
    Why worry about that now. We are nailed on certainties to find out first hand.

What price when this relegation stuff comes in we are first one gone???

A couple of years ago I predicted WSW crowd figures would be about 5000 and SFC figures would drop to 10000...Well I was wrong big time. However I don't think Brisbane can support 2 teams..Thoughts anyone? Also 2 questions for you Mr Grim: Do most Adelaide city fans support Adelaide United and do you think Adelaide could have 2 teams in the A-League (Would be interested to see a United - City FFA cup semi final).
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

IMO the next two teams should be Wollongong and South Melbourne.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    South Melbourne..... As well as or instead of City ?
    Dare to Zlatan

Originally Posted by Grimario

He won't make that mistake at Newcastle since our team is full of number 2's.

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    South Melbourne..... As well as or instead of City ?
    Victory, City AND South.

There will be at least a few thousand Victory supporters that will jump to South if they come in, plus there's a tonne of NSL Euro-Snob Tragics that haven't subscribed to the HAL yet - similar to a large amount of WSW fans pre-WSW.

I would not be surprised to see Victory get 20k members, City 10k, and South 10k by 2020 if South are brought in.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    A couple of years ago I predicted WSW crowd figures would be about 5000 and SFC figures would drop to 10000...Well I was wrong big time. However I don't think Brisbane can support 2 teams..Thoughts anyone? Also 2 questions for you Mr Grim: Do most Adelaide city fans support Adelaide United and do you think Adelaide could have 2 teams in the A-League (Would be interested to see a United - City FFA cup semi final).
    Brisbane has a population of about 2 million. could easily sustain 2 teams, one in the Ipswich/Logan area, one in the city (the Roar).

I have long pipe dreamed the idea of a 2 conference 2nd division divided by geography.

A-League
    14 Clubs
    Brisbane Roar
    Western Pride
    Newcastle Jets
    Central Coast Mariners
    Sydney FC
    Western Sydney Wanderers
    South Coast Wolves
    Canberra United
    Melbourne Victory
    Melbourne City
    Adelaide United
    Perth Glory
    Wellington Phoenix
    Auckland City

A-League 2 -Northern Conference
    10 Clubs
    -Far North Queensland Heat (Cairns)
    -Northern Fury (Townsville)
    -Sunshine Coast Fire
    -Brisbane Strikers
    -Palm Beach Sharks (Gold Coast)
    -Hunter Valley (Maitland)
    -Manly United
    -Sydney CBD?
    -Sydney South?
    -Sydney West?

A-League 2 -Southern Conference
    10 Clubs
    -Gippsland Falcons
    -Ballarat Red Devils
    -Mornington Peninsula? (Dandenong)
    -South Melbourne
    -Northern Melbourne? (Epping)
    -Greater Geelong Galaxy
    -Tasmania United
    -Adelaide City
    -West Adelaide
    -Fremantle
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Melbourne Knights would take legal action and take it to the courts of human rights if Hellas got in and not them.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I'M GULLIBLE!

Long way off it IMO.
    I think expanding to a 2nd division promotion/relegation scenario, now, would be silly. I honestly cannot see it happening in the next 20 years.
    The main reason being, I don't see the nation supporting a "second best" league. The same way Australians love the whole finals series. Just don't think joe blow is gonna go spend his hard earned watching "the second best" league.

Eventually, yes, it would be great to have it. But I do not think we are in a secure enough position even in the next 20. I do agree that we should be gradually expanding the league in areas that demand it, not just doing it willy nilly.Part of the strength of the league is the broader areas our teams represent. Expand, when we get to 20 odd teams then consider it.
    I think a reasonable example would be the Super 14 Rugby in Aus. It's basically all the states, and the crowds they draw are decent. They introduced a Rugby Championship this year similar to an NRL kind of and it appears to be struggling. The obvious choices have already been touted, and generally agree with Premy and the teams put forward. Another QLD team, Wollongong, 2nd Adelaide team, another Melbourne team/Canberra.

He didn't say it was going to happen now.

What he said was it will happen as that's what the governing bodies(AFC) want. ATM there is no pressure as the AFC know the situation and know it will take time but... The FFA can't be seen to be sitting on their hands and doing nothing, there will come a day where this will become a requirement.
    I can see us going down the path of the J-League were you can progress so far on results but once you get to a certain height on the pyramid to progress further you will need to start fulfilling criteria and obtain the right on field results to progress.

At the moment in Japan you cannot be promoted from 3rd to 2nd division unless you fit the criteria for 1st division and gain the right on field results(finishing top 2). The criteria is things like Capital, A certain level of professionalism, sufficient stadia, sufficient academy, being majority Japanese owned etc. When the J-League started the JFA had a 100 year plan where they planed to have 100 professional Football clubs, that was in 1992, 20 years on and I think there's something like 60 professional Football clubs in Japan.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I think it's doable now. Have a play off series/round robin tournament amongst the top side of each federation. Winner gets promoted. Bottom placed team in the A-league goes down.

There is nothing wrong with having certain qualification criteria in place like finances, suitable ground, and other facilities. Actually this could be the best way to expand after Canberra and Tasmania get teams.

Lets face it, we have promotion and relegation from the State Leagues all the way down to the lowest All Age.