Page 110 of 129 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

winning a ****ing game would be a good initiative imo

I like these initiatives to engage with the fanbase, but interestingly some stadiums are turning of wifi to stop fans spending the a whole game looking at their phone rather than the match. Don't think that'll be an issue here though, wifi got brought in European stadia to combat the demand for mobile signal causing no one to have access to anything.

Good that they've used it to hopefully drag some more cash out of a sponsor.
    Last edited by GazFish35; 05-11-2014 at 06:56 PM.

Just heard on the radio this morning johnny steele has indefinate leave from the club due to personal reasons. Odds on to sign liam miller now......

Quote Originally Posted by matty View Post
    Just heard on the radio this morning johnny steele has indefinate leave from the club due to personal reasons.
    Don't say I didn't warn yall!
    OK

It was written in his tattoos. We should have read the signs.

Grass being laid on Wednesday for game Saturday. Are you kidding me.

http://www.theherald.com.au/story/26...cs=305#slide=1

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

Cmon hawk, must realise now that everything involved with this club is a joke?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post

Cmon hawk, must realise now that everything involved with this club is a joke?
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

yes, the double post was needed. lols.

I do understand that this grass is supposedly lay'n'play but i think there will be bunkers and and holes in ones

Personally, I don't give a shit if its not quite right for a week or two. I would rather the job has been done properly and it takes a little longer than to cut corners to get it done quicker.
    We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been paying for it since the league started.
    It's been done properly, new base and drainage system and the right turf is finally being used so that it will stand up to the rigours of multi use activities.
    Last edited by furns; 06-11-2014 at 08:09 PM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

I've got a feeling that none of my "messages of support" will make the big screen.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Personally, I don't give a shit if its not quite right for a week or two. I would rather the job has been done properly and it takes a little longer than to cut corners to get it done quicker.
    We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been posting for it since the league started.
    It's been done properly, new base and drainage system and the right turf is finally being used so that it will stand up to the rigours of multi use activities.
    Spot on

Nah everything is shit
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I've got a feeling that none of my "messages of support" will make the big screen.
    Hopefully someone in the media team sees no harm in displaying "Muscat is a C. unt"

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    We know the major problem was the base clay layer and drainage system that was done cheaply and quickly fifteen years ago, and we have been paying for it since the league started.
    Even for Nitro Circus on March 21st ?

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socce...06-11hwuq.html

Newcastle Jets could find success with community ownership

Date November 7, 2014 - 8:28AM

Michael Cockerill

Nathan Tinkler is going, if he's not gone already. But out of the ashes of yet another frustrating failure for a town that deserves better might finally come the solution that's been there all along.

The football community won't own the Newcastle Jets, but chances are they'll eventually control the club. It's been a long time coming.

If there was ever a club crying out for people power, here it is. Newcastle has had four dips at professional football since 1978 - KB United, the Rosebuds, the Breakers and the Jets. All have floundered, not because of lack of support, but because of lack of capital.

For various reasons - the closure of the steelworks in the early 1980s severely impacted KB United while the collapse of the property market pushed Con Constantine to the wall - the city hasn't had deep enough pockets to survive the tough times.

At New Lambton, and Birmingham Gardens, there have been many memorable nights and bumper crowds, but the money has always run out. It's been a recurring theme.

We all hoped Tinkler would change that, but as we now know, it was a mirage. Never keen on the Jets in the first place, he wants out. Right now, though, it seems, no one wants to buy. Most likely the club will end up in FFA hands sooner rather than later, possibly before Christmas. What then?

On Saturday, the Jets play their first home game of the season after a month on the road. Based on memberships, which are hovering around 9000, the crowd at Hunter Stadium will pass the five-figure threshold.

Given the uncertainty that has been around since the end of last season, that's a remarkable demonstration of support. Confirmation, if ever it was needed, that Newcastle remains a genuine football town.

It's been that way, of course, since the start. Minmi Rangers, the town's first football club, was formed in 1884. There's a coterie of locals from the business community who call themselves the "Rangers Club of 1884" in recognition of that long and proud history.

And it's partly from the ranks of these football tragics that a new ownership model for the Jets is likely to emerge - a public/private partnership that could finally provide the stability that's been missing at the professional level for 36 emotionally draining years.

Whether the model is based on the Bundesliga's hugely admired 50+1 rule, or whether it mimicks the co-operative arrangement made so successful by the local Newcastle Permanent building society remains to be seen.

Either way, the Jets are on a course to become the first A-League club to be controlled by the football community, with the majority of directors to be drawn from the ranks of business men/women, fans, ex-players, and members, or all of the above.

These people will have a majority vote, without having to be investors. The money instead will come from a consortium, which will fund any shortfalls without being able to control the decisions.

Believe it or not, there seems to be plenty of backers willing to jump in - partly because a well-run Jets operation should go close to breaking even, but also because there's finally a realisation that the Jets will only be sustainable in the long-term if the community is an integral part of the equation.

You can't help but be excited by the possibility of unlocking Newcastle's huge potential.

If Tinkler finds a last-minute buyer, of course, all this is academic. But if the licence does end up in FFA hands, it's unlikely to stay that way for long.

Whitlam Square doesn't want to own clubs, and having backed away from a community-based model when Tinkler first threatened to walk away in 2012, the time has come for the FFA to bite the bullet.

If a decade of the A-League has taught the governors anything, it's that the single-owner model is fraught. In Newcastle, especially so.

Right now, with the team having accumulated just one point from 12, and the Tinkler administration more invisible by the day, it's a tough time to be a Jets fan.

The old-timers, of course, have been here before. Those who haven't should keep the faith. The Jets won't collapse. Far from it. More than likely they'll end up in better shape than ever.

A football club in a football town run by football people for the good of football. Why wouldn't it make sense?
    OK

pull the other one cockerill, could you imagine if you let the lunatics run the asylum?

el presidente MFKS pulling the strings, zdenek zeman as coach...

actually lets do this

Take it from one who happens to have tried.

There is far too much self interest for it to work.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    pull the other one cockerill, could you imagine if you let the lunatics run the asylum?

el presidente MFKS pulling the strings, zdenek zeman as coach...

actually lets do this
    I would like to apply for the role of Kitman, which involves design, approval, etc of all things kit-related.
    OK

Nice to see cockerill admit the FFA were intentionally ignoring those of us trying for the community model in 2012.
    Go jetties