Page 51 of 129 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2578

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    KUTGW Middleby.
    You're kidding surely?

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...-1226912526998

ANGE Postecoglou’s true No. 10 Tom Rogic headlined a secret FIFA World Cup mini Socceroos camp at Coopers Stadium on Friday.

The Celtic attacking midfielder, on loan to Melbourne Victory for this recent A-League season, was part of Socceroos assistant coach Aurelio Vidmar’s pre-World Cup preparatory squad.

Vidmar, a Socceroos and Adelaide City legend and former Adelaide United coach, greeted The Advertiser outside the Hindmarsh stadium with a chirpy “good morning” after FFA officials declined requests for interviews.

Rogic, 21, Adelaide United’s goalkeeper of the year and 2010 World Cup squad member Eugene Galekovic, 32, Reds utility Osama Malik, 23, Newcastle Jets trio, golden boot Adam Taggart, 20, Josh Brillante, 21, and former Reds No. 2 gloveman Mark Birighitti, 23, were all present in camp.

Vidmar had his mini squad working up a sweat first in the Coopers Stadium gym. The A-Leaguers then ventured on to a sodden Coopers Stadium pitch for a training session.

Vidmar’s Socceroos staff included lauded physio Les Gelis, goalkeeper coach Tony Franken and new national teams football analyst Peter Cklamovski.

But Adelaide-based Andrew Young, a former Fulham United five-star physio who was named as the Socceroos’ sports scientist and football conditioning coach in February, wasn’t spotted at the session yesterday.

The Socceroos’ mini World Cup preparation camp has been based in Adelaide since the start of the week with the small group training in the mornings.

They will continue to train on the pristine Coopers Stadium turf until Tuesday before Postecoglou names a preliminary squad of 30 players on Wednesday.

Rogic and Galekovic are certainties for Brazil while the other four A-League young guns present at the secret session will make the preliminary squad of 30 named next week.

Although they the may not survive the next Socceroos World Cup cut, they are in line for Asian Cup duty on home soil in January.

The final squad of 30 will then gather in Gosford after the announcement for the final World Cup countdown before the squad is later reduced to 27 players.

The Socceroos will train at Central Coast Stadium from May 18 after former Mariners coach Lawrie McKinna, current mayor of the city of Gosford, brokered a deal to host the entire national team.

The 27 players will all board flights for Brazil after the Socceroos face South Africa in the farewell clash at ANZ Stadium on May 26.

Brisbane Roar’s double winning coach Mike Mulvey and assistant Luciano Trani have also been charged with coaching World Cup certainties Matt McKay and Ivan Franjic.

It’s believed Victory boss Kevin Muscat has been training Socceroos-in-waiting, Adelaide-born James Troisi and Mark Milligan in Melbourne.

Homebound Flores won't say adios

9 May 2014-SBS: Philip Micallef

Argentine playmaker Marcos Flores said he was determined to come back to Australia as a new player after he completes his rehabilitation from a season-ending knee injury in his homeland.

Flores suffered a serious injury to his right knee during training in January and he since has been informed by his club Central Coast Mariners that his services will not be required next season.

"I am going back to Argentina to complete the recovery of my knee with good and professional treatment," Flores said.

"Only God knows what the future holds for me.

"But I definitely would not like to say goodbye to Australia ... I would prefer to say 'see you soon'.

"I want to be fit again so I can pay back with football and effort whoever might invest faith in me.

"I can't believe that only one person at the Mariners believes I am not good enough.

"It broke my heart. It is not about money, not about injury. It is about showing faith that I can overcome my first injury in 28 years.

"If everything turns up the way I am wishing, well, the Mariners might see my football and commitment in a different jersey."

Flores leaves for Argentina on Sunday to complete his rehabilitation.

"My recovery is going great, I am at a changing of direction stage and getting in contact with the ball," he explained.

"I couldn't touch the love of my life for three months but today I came close to it so I'm happy.

"I'm feeling good and positive about it. Andrew Nealon (Mariners physio) has been more than happy with the evolution but obviously now I will be finalising my rehab with an intense and consistent treatment over in Argentina."

Flores said he expected to be fit to play again just in time for the A-League's pre-season.

"It has been difficult. I did my knee on 2 January during the last kick of the day at training," he recalled.

"The accident changed my life a bit and it definitely taught me a lot as a person.

"On 15 July it will be six months of rehab and if everything keeps going this way and God protects me ... I guess I will be able to respond to any medical test and begin pre-season.

"So my target is to work really hard these coming weeks to be ready for any opportunities.

"I really believe that if you work hard when no one is watching you that makes the universe conspire to give you another opportunity."

Although Flores is resentful of the Mariners' decision to cut him when he was at the lowest point of his career, he does understand their decision.

"They made their decision to let me go in my condition for a football reason, I might not agree with it but I do respect that," he said.

"I was pushing a lot by dreaming to be back.

"Sometimes in football you have to take it as it comes ... they broke my heart of course but it made me stronger and more determined to overcome my situation."

Flores came to Australia in 2010 and his displays for his first club Adelaide United earned him the Johnny Warren Medal in 2011.

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/centr...on-t-say-adios
    I think he will end up with Arnie at SFC, but he might be worth the gamble if he's cheap enough, already has a dislike for the mariners so that's a positive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    I think he will end up with Arnie at SFC, but he might be worth the gamble if he's cheap enough, already has a dislike for the mariners so that's a positive.
    no way in fk are we gonna gamble on another knee comeback

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    That is exactly the sort of thing we would do...

That is exactly the sort of thing we would do...
    dont know what i was thinking carry on Pics

Am i the only one who never really rated Chapman? Future Socceroo my arse

So now tha newspapers are saying Jurman isn't signing with us.
    Big Phil put the kibosh on it.
    Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Is this true?
    Pffft, what say does Big Phil have in signing players? It's all Middleby/Baartz/Palmer/Tinks.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Is this true?
    If true, big Phil is a hero.

Marcos Flores ‏@MarcosFlores85
    the future looks bright!!! Dont worry for me!!!! Is a rumour in the air that a new Aleague coach will sing me soon!! New club, new Culture..
    New... car smell?

New coach..... Phil, Arnie....???
    New club...... City? Or a new club for him?
    New culture. .?? Rees no kulcha in Australia.

I hope it's us, "new aleague coach" points to us more than Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    New coach..... Phil, Arnie....???
    New club...... City? Or a new club for him?
    New culture. .?? Rees no kulcha in Australia.

I hope it's us, "new aleague coach" points to us more than Sydney.
    It was purely the repetition of NEW that I thought pointed at us.

Few others are saying Flores to Sydney is on though.

Arnie signed Flores the first time and he wasn't the one to let him go. Surely that match is back on at Sydney.

Stubbins was at adelaide when flores was there

a minute after that he posted something on twitter about B-League FC or something like that

you guys need your eyes checked. flores clearly says "sing" not "sign".

NEW laws restricting where soccer fans can sit during **A-League matches are being pursued by authorities nationwide as they clamp down further on troublemakers.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law...Top+Stories%29
    better seat the hill then

better seat the hill then
    Fairly sure the **** have indicated that they are opposed to such measures.

*censored for privacy.
    Go jetties

A-League champions Brisbane Roar leave Ballymore training ground for spiritual home Perry Park

Marco Monteverde
    The Courier-Mail
    May 10, 2014 9:10PM

BRISBANE’S home of football is finally becoming the home of the city’s premier team.

A-League champions Brisbane Roar are leaving their Ballymore training and administration base to move into Perry Park, the Bowen Hills facility that belongs to football.

“It’s going to be an important step for us as a club,” Roar managing director Sean Dobson said.

“It’s going to give us those long-term roots that we’ve all been craving for the past six or seven years since the move from Richlands.’’

The Roar moved in 2008 from their initial base at Rich-lands, the home of their founding club Queensland Lions, to Ballymore, where they became tenants of the Queensland Rugby Union.

While they will forever be indebted to the QRU, the Roar knew the time had come to move from a venue associated with a rival code.

“The Reds have been really excellent hosts and landlords, but as a game and as a club it’s really a great opportunity to move to move to a football-specific venue, and also give back and take Perry Park back to the original intent,” Dobson said.

Dobson said the move was in collaboration with the club that has called Perry Park home for 20 years, former National Soccer League outfit Brisbane Strikers.

The Strikers, now in the second-tier National Premier Leagues competition, will still play home games at Perry Park but will relocate their administration base to Logan venue Meakin Park.

“They’ve been really good to work with,” Dobson said of the Strikers. “It’s not about pushing them out.

“The venue is there for all of football, ideally.’’

Dobson said Perry Park was likely to be renamed something akin to “The Clem Jones Sporting Complex” in honour of the late Jones, who was the Strikers’ benefactor.

“We recognise how long they (the Strikers) have been there and what they’ve done for that site, and what Clem did for Brisbane and Queensland football,” Dobson said.

Perry Park’s second field will become a community football area.

“We want to make it a really positive green space,” Dobson said.

The first field will be upgraded with the aid of the Asian Football Confederation, with the venue to be used as a training facility for next year’s Australia-hosted Asian Cup.

While the playing surface is being improved, the Roar are likely to continue at Ballymore when they return for pre-season training late next month.

“We’re trying to minimise the impact of the first team and keep them on the best training field we can get them on,” Dobson said.

He also mentioned Brisbane Grammar School’s fields and the University of Queensland as potential alternative training venues.

Perry Park’s YMCA gymnasium is already used by many Roar players.

Dobson said the Roar were likely to play most of their pre-season games at their new training base, which hosts the Roar youth team in the NPL Queensland competition.
    So let me get this right, the AFC (I assume that's the AFC Asian Cup local organising committee) is going to help with funding a training pitch for Brisbane but apparently Newcastle's tournament pitch is just fine the way it is now.

What a joke, if these numpties let this opportunity pass to get in to Hunter Stadium and get a first class hybrid pitch that can actually leave a real world legacy for football, the HAL & Newcastle sport in general, what am I saying of course they will its the NSW government and FFA.

I'd like to know what exactly the FFA and jets are doing about this pitch too, are they even getting off their arse and bribing sorry lobbying the government.

You'd think the NSW government could see the sense in throwing a spare couple of mill from the ports deal to fix and future proof their Newcastle stadium asset and have it looking pristine for a show piece event at the same time but something tells me that's not going to happen.
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.