Page 9 of 129 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Daily Australian News Thread 2014

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    Seems to be the way on the forum, doesn't it
    I'd love for you to spend a day in the life of a neutral and read through your own posts
    OK

It's like a spark for the anal retentive to fire up

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Having read it again, it's a bunch of ridiculous BS. She gives ****ing Zad's Lad's a handjob, ffs. A bunch of ****ing mongs wearing bald caps aren't going to get Rebecca Wilson into the spirit of football. She raves about Heart fans... again, not exactly inspiring.

I think it was more to do with Zelic being inclusive of all 10 clubs and their support. Unbiased to a fault

Not sure where to put this.

http://www.foxsportspulse.com/assoc_...cleID=27649163

Malaysian U23 to play in the QNPL.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    it's over-emotional clap-trap

get over it zelic, wilson doesn't care, and she isn't particularly wrong in that last article she wrote, except about the hillsborough stuff

stop being such an ostrich and get around the fact that your precious RBB is run by blokes who love the biff and they've finally been called up on it

soccer fans and journos in this country are such a bunch of cry babies
    Precisely right. Rebecca Wilson may be a ****ing cow but she is bang on the money about the Wanderers. Other issue is she is a ****ing troll and dumb ****s fall for her shit time and time again. She don't like our sport and loves bagging it. **** her she is missing out whilst she adores a bunch of rapists/beastialty practitioners/woman bashers/druggos and just general **** wits play her favoured game

Banned
    Football Federation Australia's attempts to launch the FFA Cup are being hampered by delays from the state federations in confirming their own qualification paths.

The governing body was hoping to launch the tournament last month but has been forced to wait as the states and territories determine the dates and pre-tournaments they will use as a qualification base for the event proper.

Fairfax Media understands each state and territory needs to supply their qualifying teams by the end of June, with a start to the 32-team tournament proposed for July, at some point after the World Cup final.

The expected format comprises nine Australian A-League teams (leaving out Wellington Phoenix), eight NSW teams, four Victorian teams, four Queensland teams, two Western Australian teams, two northern NSW teams, one South Australian team, a Tasmanian team and a team from the ACT.
    Advertisement

The rationale for the allotment has been based on participation numbers, which explains the strong presence from northern NSW, where participation numbers greatly exceed the national average. The finalists of the 2014 Northern NSW State Cup, to be held in Coffs Harbour, will gain entry into the FFA Cup.

The resources of state associations are already being consumed in adjusting to the FFA-mandated National Premier Leagues model, which will be rolled out nationwide this year after Victorian clubs accepted a compromise model last month.

However, it will not be the state leagues that determine qualification for the FFA Cup, with the knockout tournaments in each state and territory the key to a place on the national stage.

The teams coming from NSW will have to qualify via the Waratah Cup, while Victoria's State Knockout Cup will provide their entrants.

The timing of South Australia's Federation Cup has been moved from August to May and Tasmania's event will end in June, as is expected to happen in Western Australia.

Football Queensland – which has no knockout cup – have invented a knockout qualification tournament from scratch, one which will encompass the zones of Brisbane, Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast and North Queensland.

The knockout format means teams from the bottom of the football pyramid can hope to take their place against the relative giants from the A-League in the final tournament.

One of the hold-ups is coming from the Australian Capital Territory, where Tuggeranong United believed they had qualified for the event after winning the Federation Cup.

However, as the tournament was not originally sanctioned as the qualifier for the main tournament, Capital Football has decided on another qualification tournament, one held in March and April, before the ACT Premier League kicks off. Tuggeranong – who boasted Socceroos star Tom Rogic on their books just over two years ago – have filed an appeal to Capital Football, claiming they should be the territory's representative.

It is understood that the Federation Cup will serve as the FFA Cup qualifier from 2015 onwards.

The FFA is hoping to finalise the arrangements with all the states and territories in the coming month before making a full launch. They are also in the process of finalising a major sponsor and broadcast agreements.

The final of the tournament from 2016 onwards will be on Australia Day but has been brought forward for the inaugural season to December 2014 to avoid clashing with the Asian Cup.

The first of the two Asian Cup semi-finals at ANZ Stadium has already been scheduled for that day.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/d...#ixzz2qQF3hpw5
    Shitful event facing further delays

Banned
    BRETT Emerton has decided to pull the curtain down on one of Australian football's most distinguished careers.

Sydney FC's marquee, troubled by worsening back problems all season, has told the club he intends to retire, it's believed with immediate effect.

Emerton earned the last of his 94 caps for Australia in December 2012 at the East Asian Cup, but has abandoned hopes of completing a century of appearances.

The move is likely to open the way for Sydney to make a concerted effort to land Tom Rogic as their Australian marquee, although Melbourne Victory are believed to be in pole position to land Rogic's signature.

For Emerton, it completes a remarkable career that saw him play at two World Cups and score 20 times for his country, including several vital goals in World Cup qualifiers.

But he has struggled for form and influence in games, thanks in part to Sydney's own struggles on the pitch, and cut a dejected figure when he was substituted during Saturday's derby.

The epilogue of his career in no way reflected the preceding 18 years, after he starred at the 2000 Olympics in Sydney and earned a move to Dutch side Feyenoord.

Playing alongside Shinji Ono and Robin van Persie, Emerton was a central figure in Feyenoord's run to the 2002 UEFA Cup final, though he missed the final through suspension.

In demand from various English clubs, Emerton elected to join Blackburn Rovers in July 2003, eventually making almost 250 appearances for the Premier League side.
    Another value for money signing by Smurfs FC

Does everyone remember it when I called it way back that he would turn out to be the shittest marquee?

I believe I compared him to Sterjovski at the time, but I think Sterjovski has actually done better if anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Does everyone remember it when I called it way back that he would turn out to be the shittest marquee?

I believe I compared him to Sterjovski at the time, but I think Sterjovski has actually done better if anything.
    Yep. Think you said would be a flop because he had average technical ability and his game was based on being an amazing athlete first and foremost.

Yep. Think you said would be a flop because he had average technical ability and his game was based on being an amazing athlete first and foremost.
    So emerton was the proto-Hoffman?

Oh gee, I didn't actually expect anyway to remember. Grim
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Caught the last few seconds of a segment on NBN news tonight, seemed like GVE was talking about James Brown getting booed? Anyone see it/care to elaborate? It isn't on their website that I can find

Quote Originally Posted by My2BobsWorth View Post
    I like Zads Lads, bunch of blokes havin a larf. Rebecca Wilson isn't very important, so who gives a shit about what she thinks
    that

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Caught the last few seconds of a segment on NBN news tonight, seemed like GVE was talking about James Brown getting booed? Anyone see it/care to elaborate? It isn't on their website that I can find
    gve said it was a bit rough. I thought he enjoyed having the boos deflected for a while.

Gary gives Brown the hook about ten seconds after he misses a shot at goal and then has the audacity to criticise the crowd for booing Brown.

Poor form all round really.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Gary gives Brown the hook about ten seconds after he misses a shot at goal and then has the audacity to criticise the crowd for booing Brown.

Poor form all round really.
    FFS, Virgilli was about to come on anyway. Would you have liked GvE to wait 10 minutes, potentially costing us the game, just so 'ittle James' feelings weren't hurt? He's a professional football FFS.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    FFS, Virgilli was about to come on anyway. Would you have liked GvE to wait 10 minutes, potentially costing us the game, just so 'ittle James' feelings weren't hurt? He's a professional football FFS.
    +1

Fair enough if Virgilli was already set to come on. I wasn't at the game anyway. As soon as I saw Brown and Bridges were listed to play I decided to stay at home.

Banned
    GIVE James Brown a break.

That was the message yesterday from Jets coach Gary van Egmond as he pondered using Brown to replace the departed Nathan Burns in tomorrow night’s clash with Melbourne Heart at AAMI Park.
    See your ad here

Burns returned to Korean club Incheon United last weekend after his loan deal with Newcastle expired, leaving the Jets short of attacking options in the absence of Australian under-22 representatives Adam Taggart, Josh Brillante and Andrew Hoole, and with new signing Joel Griffiths unlikely to be available for at least a week.

Van Egmond admitted Brown had struggled to put his best foot forward since joining Newcastle from the now-defunct Gold Coast at the start of last season.

Injuries have hindered the attacking midfielder, but his coach said confidence was also an issue and the reception Brown received from Newcastle fans during last week’s 1-all draw with Melbourne Victory did not help his cause.

It was the 23-year-old’s third appearance in the starting line-up this season and he was the first player replaced, in the 51st minute.

‘‘I think what we’ve got to try and do is support him,’’ van Egmond said yesterday.

‘‘It’s a tough one, especially at home, where he doesn’t feel he has real support. You’ve got to demand that, I suppose, with your performances. But he’s a confidence kid ... you don’t want to hear the home crowd booing, or clapping when a player gets taken off.

‘‘That doesn’t derive any support for the kid. I was pretty disappointed with that, to be honest.’’

Van Egmond said Brown, who is yet to score a goal in his 27 games for Newcastle, had ‘‘been through the mill’’ with injuries, which had prevented him from showing his true colours.

Off contract at the end of the season, Brown would appear to be vying with James Virgili and Joey Gibbs, who has been training with a bandaged head this week concealing a 10-stitch gash he suffered in youth league on Sunday, for a starting berth tomorrow.

Van Egmond said skipper Ruben Zadkovich, playing further forward than usual, and 18-year-old Mitchell Oxborrow were the other options.

Veteran Michael Bridges is again likely to be used as a second-half substitute.

‘‘As an impact player, I think he [Bridges] does a real good job,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘When he comes on he gives us a little bit of something different.’’

The Jets have started searching for a replacement for Burns.

Van Egmond said it was unclear if the former Socceroo would be able to negotiate a release from Incheon and he may need ‘‘clean-up ’’ surgery to his knee anyway.

‘‘There’s a couple of boys overseas who we’ve had a look at,’’ he said.

‘‘Locally, there’s not much opportunity. Obviously with the salary cap and what have you, there’s not too much room for movement there. But there are a couple of players overseas which we’re investigating.’’

Griffiths, who linked with the Jets on Monday, has yet to start training with his new teammates and has been working intensively on his conditioning.

The 34-year-old might be available for the derby clash with Central Coast in Gosford on Saturday week.

‘‘He hasn’t done a great deal from the end of November ... he’s a pretty naturally fit bloke, but this week is too much of a rush,’’ van Egmond said.

‘‘The last thing we want is an injury. We won’t be risking him this week.’’

Complete and Utter lies and Bullshit from GVE.

Bridges offers nothing and is loved by some just for being utter shit

I do agree that he gives us a little bit of something different.

Whether that something different is useful to us or not..
    OK