Page 26 of 61 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NEW FM League Thread

Quote Originally Posted by newie4eva View Post
    What was the actual game like ?
    Hard to really tell with the sub standard match official performance that was on display, from all 3 really in main game (I missed earlier matches).

I thought game was prob more even than scoreline appeared , official intervening and sending off two WW players meant game ended in 9v11 so scoreline was not going to be true indication of game. Highlight was prob two very frustrated coaches in second half taking time to calm each other down by chatting for a few mins and venting frustrations quietly rather than vocally backed up by the Cessnock coach going out of his way to shake the hand of the first WW player sent off and both coaches shaking hands with players from both teams but none of the match officials post game.

Both sides created chances, was a very physical game and made much worse by inconsistent and poor decisions by a supposed NBN grade match official left players and coaches from both sides really unsure of what was going on. First half was prob fair indication of game in that is was a draw, WW wasted a few opportunities and paid for not following players on at least 2 of the goals.

Shal really does need to stop constantly berating a young back line, especially when your the one responsible for such a soft first goal as he conceded.

Cessnocks backline we good I thought, both teams prob woke up worse for wear on Sunday thou.

Overall, a possibly good game of football, ruined by poor officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_fan View Post
    Hard to really tell with the sub standard match official performance that was on display, from all 3 really in main game (I missed earlier matches).

I thought game was prob more even than scoreline appeared , official intervening and sending off two WW players meant game ended in 9v11 so scoreline was not going to be true indication of game. Highlight was prob two very frustrated coaches in second half taking time to calm each other down by chatting for a few mins and venting frustrations quietly rather than vocally backed up by the Cessnock coach going out of his way to shake the hand of the first WW player sent off and both coaches shaking hands with players from both teams but none of the match officials post game.

Both sides created chances, was a very physical game and made much worse by inconsistent and poor decisions by a supposed NBN grade match official left players and coaches from both sides really unsure of what was going on. First half was prob fair indication of game in that is was a draw, WW wasted a few opportunities and paid for not following players on at least 2 of the goals.

Shal really does need to stop constantly berating a young back line, especially when your the one responsible for such a soft first goal as he conceded.

Cessnocks backline we good I thought, both teams prob woke up worse for wear on Sunday thou.

cheers.
    Sounded like a very frustrating day for all but feel for Westy because when your struggling you don't need days like that.

Any of the goals worth mentioning or were they as ordinary as the day ?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by curious_fan View Post

That's just shal he's done that everywhere

Quote Originally Posted by newie4eva View Post
    cheers.
    Sounded like a very frustrating day for all but feel for Westy because when your struggling you don't need days like that.

Any of the goals worth mentioning or were they as ordinary as the day ?

cheers
    I wont say they weren't as my judgement was probably too one sided by that stage to be impartial. But I dont remember anything particularly significant, one was a bad keepers error no matter what he says after the event defenders should be protecting him. One was a simple cross where the fullback and back tracking midfielder just didnt move with the attackers and they got a close range header and the others I actually can't remember details of.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunken ranger View Post
    That's just shal he's done that everywhere
    I thought the low point from shal was when he got up a ball boy thought was very poor and numerous tim the kids on field for westy were incredialbly frustrated and angry at him, feel for westy young kids are giving it there all will be a good side in few years

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub View Post
    I thought the low point from shal was when he got up a ball boy thought was very poor and numerous tim the kids on field for westy were incredialbly frustrated and angry at him, feel for westy young kids are giving it there all will be a good side in few years
    I missed that with the ball boy but I will pass it on to the coaches because that is certainly not acceptable, by any player. Actually does anyone know what the rule is on second red cards? I had assumed a second red in the same season meant you'd get more than the standard one week but was told that's only if it is a straight red, as both players were sent for double yellows they will till only receive one week.

tips anyone?
    Belswans 3 cessnock 1
    valo 4 trono 1
    maitland anything - westy 0
    thornton 4 singo 2

Tough day at the office for west wallsend. Went down a combined 23-2 against maitland

1st 9-1
    23s 10-0
    19s 4-1

any other results today

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    any other results today
    Thornton v singo
    19s 3-2
    23s 0-0
    1st 2-1 (abandoned with 20 to go)

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    any other results today
    Toronto v Valo

U19- 1-0
    U23 2-2
    1st 0-3 called off with about 5 to go due to lightning

Anyone know goalscorers for maitland 1st grade?

got down to watch Maitland vs west wallsend today and although the scoreline was 9-1 there was abit more in it then that with West wallsend hitting the cross bar 3 times and a few lucky goals from Maitland. westy dont have that bad of a team a few quality players but they all look really young and inexperienced but do go hard out there and the lad who came on early in the second half was quality. Never seen him before though and I do get around to a few of the games the last few seasons

Quote Originally Posted by zenno12 View Post
    got down to watch Maitland vs west wallsend today and although the scoreline was 9-1 there was abit more in it then that with West wallsend hitting the cross bar 3 times and a few lucky goals from Maitland. westy dont have that bad of a team a few quality players but they all look really young and inexperienced but do go hard out there and the lad who came on early in the second half was quality. Never seen him before though and I do get around to a few of the games the last few seasons
    One of the starting side and two of the subs got their first 1st Grade run with Westy, they were the first two subs made. Both had joined more recently , I'm sure the player you mentioned was a very new player from Mayfield Danny (and I apologise I honestly dont know his surname).

They were unlucky a little, Westy, 3 off the cross bar, one good chance with a header. They actually competed all three grades with only 32 players, the surprising thing is they have a head coach who is willing to give some of the younger guys chances in higher grades (even 1st grade) and is getting knocked back. At 18 guys my age would have been jumping at the chance to pull on a 1st grade strip even for 5 mins.

The squad are young, if we exclude Shal for obvious reasons, that side against Maitland are all under 23 except one who is 26. And the lack of long term experience shows, but a few are really taking advantage of it. And for the results, I have to give credit to the coach, the words are 99% encouraging and I have yet to see him lose him temper at a player.

Having seen both games, it was noticeable Maitland saw the need to try and claw back some of the goal difference Valentine have, not many strikers at 7-0 up are running into the net to try retrieve the ball and get the game restarted as quickly as possible. And that should be a concern for both sides now that it really could come down to goals at season end.

On another note, having seen a bit over half the West Wallsend games so far, it is good to see the respect and friendships between the coaches this season. Obviously I only see the Westy V ? games but I assume opposition coaches personalities don't change, doing more than just the pre game hand shake and seeing coaches actually going to find each other and talk and have a laugh is far more enjoyable than some of the pathetic banter that goes on between some coaches at times in past seasons.
    Last edited by curious_fan; 02-06-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Redbacks 2 Singo 1, cancelled with 16 minutes remaining. The game has been rescheduled, what's people's opinions of this?

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Quote Originally Posted by Elude View Post
    Redbacks 2 Singo 1, cancelled with 16 minutes remaining. The game has been rescheduled, what's people's opinions of this?
    Seems the only option to me..... unless both teams are willing to declare the match a draw. Which I very much doubt.
    Rescheduling matches is not new.. I have seen games replayed when the game can't continue due to external circumstances eg weather, injury to player etc. Not sure if the time remaining becomes a factor, I recall a game being replayed when stopped with about 15 minutes to go.

Surprising, unless there was imminent lightening you would think the first course of action should be a delay to game and then a decision to postpone.
    I do not know if the rule still exists but in the years of the dinosaurs of the 80's if a set period of time was played the game could be called and a result given based on that scoreline. Likewise, is play was delayed for more than a given amount of time a game could be cancelled and replayed regardless of score. But they were situations which were very rarely called upon to be used.

It is a hard call for a mid week game ,especially with the Singo boys having to again travel. Then again, if they win their bonus will certainly take care of petrol bill.

There is some chat about this issue over on the League 1 forum. Apparently the result can stand once half time is reached. The rules might be slightly different in ZFL as opposed to State League though.

Im guessing ref would put in a report, half time thornton 2-0 then singo back to 2-1 with 18 to go. Its a no brainer (rematch)

Maitland 4 Cessnock 0 h/t. 3 soft goals, their 4th goal decent by ben martin