Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NEW FM League Thread

Preview by Blake Jarrett

Maitland FC vs. Thornton Redbacks FC
    Cook Square Park
    Sunday 23rd March, 2.30pm
    Match of the Round

In the match of the round last years runners up Maitland FC host Thornton Redbacks FC at Cook Square Park.

Maitland will enter the competition confident after a successful 2013 season where they finished 2nd followed by a Grand Final loss to Adamstown Rosebud. The two teams that have denied them the minor premiership in the previous two years, Lambton Jaffas and Adamstown Rosebud, have both since been promoted to the NBN State League and Maitland will feel as though this is their year to clinch the top spot.

Retaining key players including striker, Ben Martin, goalkeeper, Ben Kelly, and fullback, Corey Fletcher will certainly add to the clubs growing confidence. The off season signings of former Weston Bear, Matthew Toohey, and former Broadmeadow Magic and Adamstown Rosebuds striker, Roger Dowdell, will also play a key role in Maitland’s success.

Martin however is an obvious standout. After the first 11 games last season his tally was a massive 17, scoring in every game except one. He ended the season with an incredible 30, eight more than his closest rival. He seems to have already found similar form to last year, scoring the goal in the sides 1-1 draw against NPL side South Cardiff Gunners in Round 1 of the State Cup that they eventually lost in penalty shootouts, where he also converted a penalty.

Thornton coach Darrel McAllister would feel as though his side should provide a tough contest against Maitland, however, following a some-what successful first season in 2014. McAllister guided the Redbacks to sixth place, missing out on a semi final spot by just four points.

The Redbacks will need to be on their game come Sunday, having lost two games to Maitland during the 2013 season; a side which has strengthened considerably and will be looking to stamp their authority on the 2014 NEWFM First Division early.

West Wallsend SFC vs. Valentine FC
    Johnston Park
    Saturday 22nd March, 2.30pm

The opening match of the 2014 NEWFM First Division sees West Wallsend SFC taking on Valentine FC at Johnston Park.

West Wallsend will be desperate for a first round win following a disastrous off-season that saw the club lose ten first grade players and consequently, nearly folding.

However the determination of the 125-year historic club should be admired as members, players and new coach Evan Gardiner rallied to keep the club alive.

The signings of Anthony Carter, Cody Sopper, Keegan North and Todd Jones are a massive boost for the club who Gardiner said is fielding ‘a young side’, most with first grade experience.

A key player for West Wallsend is the returning shot-stopper Blake Redman, who will fill the void left by Adamstown-bound Nathanael Cavaliere.

West Wallsend have a huge task at hand, however, going up against a Valentine outfit boasting a mixture of youth and experience. Having finished last in the NBN State League last season, Valentine begins the season as a clear favorite alongside Maitland for the 2014 NEWFM First Division.

The McGinley brothers (Paul and Scott) as well as Ben Glachan are three notable players that have showed their loyalty to the club, staying on for the 2014 season.

Similar to West Wallsend, Valentine lost star goalkeeper Nathan Archibald, whose place will be taken by former EAP shot-stopper, Perry Budden, who will begin his third year with the club.

Former youth players Reece Newton and Luke Barnier have also earned their chance to play at the top level after solid 2013 seasons for the club.

This promises to be a match that will showcase some of the best of the youth talent that the NEWFM First Division has to offer and will be a hard-fought contest.

Cessnock City FC vs. Singleton SC
    Turner Park
    Saturday 22nd March, 2.30pm

Cessnock City FC host Singleton SC in a fixture that promises to be so much more then it would have been this time last season.

Both sides enter the 2014 NEWFM First Division competition with significant off-season signings.

Cessnock, who finished second last in the 2013 season, welcome the signing of South Cardiff duo Jordan White and Kieran Delany. White, who signed for the Gunners last season from Cessnock, instantly broke into the first team after a solid pre season with the Under 19s.

He and Delany, a proven goal scorer in the former NBN State League will both be a massive boost for Cessnock and provide serious resources for the side to play finals football in 2014.

Singleton, who finished bottom of the table last season, have also signed a proven goal scorer as they welcome Albanian, Klaudon Ahmataj, as well as Toronto Awaba pair Lloyd Wakewood and Luke Walker.

Combined with 2013 Club Player of the Year, Tom Hume, these three signings will ensure that the club, who managed a competition low 21 goals last season, will be far more competitive in 2014.

Toronto Awaba FC vs. Belmont Swansea United SC
    Lyall Peacock Field

In the final match of round 1, Toronto Awaba host Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

Bel-Swans enter the 2014 season in extremely poor form after pre-season losses to Valentine South Cardiff, Swansea and Lambton Jaffas.

The side will have to draw on its successful 2013 season as inspiration for Sunday’s match.

Key players Nathan Goncalves and Tom Pichaloff will be required to consistently perform for the Bel-Swans if they are to achieve similar success to last season. 19-year-old Jaydon Rolla will provide both height and strength in the heart of defense.

New Toronto Awaba coach Graham Jones believes that despite a large turnover of players from the 2013 season his club can be successful.

Jones’ focus is ‘rebuilding the club and developing young Toronto boys’.

He will also utilize the guidance that his more experienced players have to offer.

‘We have signed some experienced Toronto players, returning to try and reestablish the club as a place where guys want to play’ he said.

Toronto enters the game after a recent 2-0 trial match win over Thornton followed by a penalty shootout loss to Cessnock in the State Cup.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Quote Originally Posted by newie4eva View Post
    Preview by Blake Jarrett

Toronto Awaba FC vs. Belmont Swansea United SC
    Lyall Peacock Field

In the final match of round 1, Toronto Awaba host Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

Bel-Swans enter the 2014 season in extremely poor form after pre-season losses to Valentine South Cardiff, Swansea and Lambton Jaffas.

The side will have to draw on its successful 2013 season as inspiration for Sunday’s match.

Key players Nathan Goncalves and Tom Pichaloff will be required to consistently perform for the Bel-Swans if they are to achieve similar success to last season. 19-year-old Jaydon Rolla will provide both height and strength in the heart of defense.

New Toronto Awaba coach Graham Jones believes that despite a large turnover of players from the 2013 season his club can be successful.

Jones’ focus is ‘rebuilding the club and developing young Toronto boys’.

He will also utilize the guidance that his more experienced players have to offer.

‘We have signed some experienced Toronto players, returning to try and reestablish the club as a place where guys want to play’ he said.

Toronto enters the game after a recent 2-0 trial match win over Thornton followed by a penalty shootout loss to Cessnock in the State Cup.
    Awesome……
    Nathan Gonclaves and Tom Pitchaloff playing on Sunday. Shooter will be pleased seeing how neither has played since about half way through last season or are even registered.
    Fair dinkum…. where do the federation get these writers from and better still where do they get their information. I've heard of "poetic licence" but really a little bit of "research" on things before you put your name to it would go a long way. Another case credibility out the window before a ball is even kicked!!!

Sancho...i've heard both teams have players out already with injuries...could be a test of both clubs depth
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_theswan View Post
    Awesome……
    Nathan Gonclaves and Tom Pitchaloff playing on Sunday. Shooter will be pleased seeing how neither has played since about half way through last season or are even registered.
    Fair dinkum…. where do the federation get these writers from and better still where do they get their information. I've heard of "poetic licence" but really a little bit of "research" on things before you put your name to it would go a long way. Another case credibility out the window before a ball is even kicked!!!
    I assume seeing as though there's no quotes from the belswans coach that he wasn't contactable to confirm or deny which players were and weren't there. How else can the writer get his info for this league?

Good article, decent effort imo
    OK

Looking forward to today.
    Hopefully get off to a good start
    Good luck everybody in NewFM

Westy v Valo

19s 3-2 westy
    22s 5-0 valo
    1sts 11-0 valo

The hard fought contest at West Wallsend resulted in a win for Valentine by 11 goals to Nil-and included a Valentine penalty miss.Westy GK Mark Shalimov had a great game in spite of the score and saved at least another 5 goals including a penalty-had no defence to help him.16 or 17 goals would have been a fair result.
    Under 23 Westy Nil Valentine 5
    Under 19 Westy 3 Valentine 2

It is going to be a very long season out West.

Good day at Cessnock with wins in all 3 grades.
    19s 7-2
    23s 1-0
    1st 2-0

Very entertaining game in first grade with both teams having opportunities. I said in an early post that I hoped Cessnock had someone who can put the ball in the net and that nearly bit Cessnock in the ass with a lot of opportunities and half chances being squandered in first half.

0-0 for three quarters of the game with a penalty finally getting them the lead. A well worked goal with about 5 to go sealed it.

IMO and clearly from a Cessnock supporters eyes they should have won by more. At 0-0 though Singleton could have easily pinched a goal and wasn't a bad effort by them first up. The very hot conditions made it tough for all the players throughout the grades.

Both squads lack depth and this will make it tough when their top players are unavailable.

Very enjoyable day.

Quote Originally Posted by Flint_tropics View Post
    Westy v Valo

19s 3-2 westy
    22s 5-0 valo
    1sts 11-0 valo
    holy sh*t, that wasnt a trial.

****ing hell 11 nil.

Wow.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Anyone know any scores from today ?

Maitland v Thornton

1sts 4-1 Maitland
    23s 2-1 Maitland
    19s 7-0 Maitland

Quote Originally Posted by bj23 View Post
    Hey Sancho i decided to make an account just to let you know where i'm from. Newcastle! Not much research you can do on the NEWFM league and i got my info from Belswans 22s players as coaches didn't reply to my message asking for squad lists. Maybe you can keep me updated from now on?

Welcome Blake

People appreciate the effort you go to so please don't take anything personally as there has been some ordinary reporting of Newfm in the past.

You will get good info on here from Sancho as he has always kept us up-to-date with Belswans info and is a passionate supporter.

If people from every club can share their info and what they see at games on here then it will make your job easier and lead to quality previews and reviews each week as well as good stuff to read here. I for one am looking forward to reading what people post and Blake's write ups.

Hopefully we see post about games and players doing well not the old tired argument of how poor the comp is.
    Last edited by newie4eva; 23-03-2014 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I assume seeing as though there's no quotes from the belswans coach that he wasn't contactable to confirm or deny which players were and weren't there. How else can the writer get his info for this league?

Good article, decent effort imo
    Firstly….. why would you assume???? I "waddled" down to Pelican RSL on Friday night for the BelSwans 2014 Season Launch. Actually asked to the coaches and club officials and guess what… NOONE HAD BE CONTACTED BY THIS BLOKE...BLAKE! They all thought the article was "funny".
    You write what you know… don't make stuff up to "fill space".

other stuff did seem well written however.

Hey Sancho i decided to make an account just to let you know where i'm from. Newcastle! Not much research you can do on the NEWFM league and i got my info from Belswans 22s players as coaches didn't reply to my message asking for squad lists. Maybe you can keep me updated from now on?
    Well hello Blake… Good on you for joining the forum….. Welcome.
    But…

What has where your from have to do with credibility. The way communications are these days you could be operating out of Mumbai.
    You have the ability to do lots of research on the "NEWFM league" if you want too. I find it weird that you would have comments from current BelSwans 22's??? uhmmm 23's??? about players who are not registered with the club , haven't played with the club since July 2013 and are either living interstate or out of the country.
    Don't you get paid to write your previews / game reports…. why would I do your job for you… unless I rise to payrole status… doubt it some how!!!
    Last edited by sancho_theswan; 23-03-2014 at 08:11 PM.

Todays results… from Stagsville….(Blake).

19's.. 2-2. Draw
    23's.. 6-1 BelSwans.
    1st's.. 4-0 BelSwans.

Calm down big mahn

Banned
    Brilliant news good results. You asked where i was from so I answered. I emailed the coach and called. Maybe I've been given the wrong details...
    Welcome the the local forum. Self importance and chest beating seems to be a disease on here sometimes.

Blake, why do you report on NewFM league?

I did some reporting work with the Jets during the W League and they liked my work so they offered me the job. I've played since I was 5 and I'm studying comms at uni so I quit so I could do the job.
    Wanna write for the jetstream ..... under pseudonym

Welcome aboard.

ahh newfm. it seems the cricket scores have commenced. Beautiful