Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 NEW FM League Thread

Well due to late work commitments I never made it to the game at the weekend but what a result 11-0 !!!! Heard the boys played really well and it might actually have been more than eleven.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Well due to late work commitments I never made it to the game at the weekend but what a result 11-0 !!!! Heard the boys played really well and it might actually have been more than eleven.
    Wesy GK had a real good game-score could have been 15 plus except for him-made some great saves including a pen.

Quote Originally Posted by bj23 View Post
    Brilliant news good results. You asked where i was from so I answered. I emailed the coach and called. Maybe I've been given the wrong details...
    Hey bj23
    When does the review go up on the Northern site ?
    Cheers

Give the bloke a break. It's a 2nd division comp in a region dominated by rugby league, the comp doesn't even deserve a write up to be fair.

Good luck with the communications degree bj23. Btw I thought the preview was great

Quote Originally Posted by newi24-2-08 View Post
    Give the bloke a break. It's a 2nd division comp in a region dominated by rugby league, the comp doesn't even deserve a write up to be fair.

Good luck with the communications degree bj23. Btw I thought the preview was great
    where do you get your facts?

how many comps do rugby league have from juniors to seniors? What is the participation rate?

Knights may have a bigger fanbase then jets. But football/soccer is alot bigger then rugby league here now.

at least 4x more registered players ( and im being very very kind with that figure)

Quote Originally Posted by bj23 View Post
    I've written them and sent them away, as to when they'll be put online i'm not sure. I'm assuming tomorrow as i can't imagine them being put on tonight if they're not already.
    Thanks bj just wanted to know when to look out for them.

Keep up the good work.

Thanks bj23 for the preview mate. Looking forward to the review. keep up the good work mate

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Ok… I'm declaring / calling a truce with my new friend Blake. It has been brought to my attention that he has emailed the BelSwans club with an apology of sorts where he declared that he had been given some wrong information.
    Good on you Blake and good luck in your endeavours. I look forward to reading your Round 1 wrap.

Good result for you guys Sancho, how was the game... Completely one sided? Could of been more? Goal scorers.... The only game I managed on the weekend was Valo vs Westy....
    I think Valo have sent a message to the rest of the league...

Hey Sancho,

Heard Shane Paul scored an absolute bomb, great player...

Review | NEWFM 1st Division Round 1
    March 25, 2014
    By Blake Jarrett
    Maitland FC 4 def. 1 Thornton Redbacks FC
    Cook Square Park
    Sunday 23rd March, 2.30pm
    Match of the Round

In the NEWFM 1st Division Match of the Round Maitland defeated Thornton 4 -1 at Cook Square Park.

Ben Martin opened the scoring for the home side, however a quick reply from Thornton’s Tim Gleeson immediately made the score 1-1.

A Roger Dowdell goal put the home side back in front, and shortly after Ben Martin doubled his total to make the score 3-1 going into half time.

Maitland’s Justin Broadley scored the only goal of the second half; the match ending 4-1 to the home side.

Maitland coach Graham Law said he was aware of the rivalry between Maitland and Thornton, and the game was everything he expected.

‘I know both sides value the bragging rights gained as a result of winning the local derby. Thornton tried to stop us from playing, but credit to my boys, we did well’, he said.

Law commended the performance of striker Ben Martin, and was also full of praise for Thornton keeper Drew Olsen who denied Martin his hat trick with a superb penalty save.

Thornton Coach Darrel McAllister was happy with his side’s effort despite a disrupted pre-season.

‘We had a fair few injuries throughout the season’, he said. ‘We have a young side and I was happy with the way they came out and played’.

McAllister went on to suggest Maitland deserved the win, however recognised the chances that his side was left to rue.

‘We hit the crossbar and missed a few one-on-ones. In saying that however I still thought the best team on the day won’.

Jesse Smith, Tallan Martin, first grade debutant Jordan Smallhorne and keeper Drew Olsen were all standouts for the Redbacks.

Next week Maitland host Singleton and Thornton will also be at home against Toronto Awaba.

West Wallsend SFC 0 def. by 11 Valentine FC
    Johnston Park
    Saturday 22nd March, 2.30pm

West Wallsend hosted Valentine in the opening game of the NEWFM 1st Division season.

A win was imperative for both sides: for West Wallsend; to put a horror pre-season behind them, and for Valentine; to establish themselves as a top side in the competition after being demoted from the NBN State League.

It was the visitors that came away with the three points in what was an opening round West Wallsend will want to forget.

Martin Banks and Sean Potter recorded hat tricks, Brett Adcock scored two, and Luke Barnier, Paul McGinley and Scott McGinley all scored one each on their way to a massive 11-0 win.

Valentine coach Alan Hackett was delighted with the win, however insisted that his side were not getting ahead of themselves.

‘It was a great win where we dictated the game’, he said. ‘We had five by halftime then we went on to get six in the second half. But you’re only as good as your next game so we will continue to worry about ourselves and take the season game by game’.

West Wallsend coach Evan Gardiner was able to identify several positives after the massive loss.

‘A positive for me is we now know where we are at. We’ve only had about four weeks together as a squad and today finally gave me a better idea of potential formations’, he said.

He ironically identified keeper Mark Shalimov as a standout during the match, suggesting that although his side conceded 11 goals, it potentially could have been seventeen with Shalimov pulling off five or six quality saves.

Next week Valentine host Cessnock City in the match of the round, and West Wallsend travel to Blacksmiths Oval to take on Belmont Swansea.

Cessnock City FC 2 def. 0 Singleton SC
    Turner Park
    Saturday 22nd March, 2.30pm

Cessnock recorded their first win of the 2014 NEWFM 1st Division season after a 2-0 victory over Singleton at Turner Park on Saturday.

The sides went into the half time break locked at 0-0, however second half goals to Justin Lang and Jeremy Morton saw Cessnock pick up the three points.

Cessnock Coach Stephen Thompson was content that his side was able to push on in the second half in what he described as extremely hot and humid conditions.

‘We played well I thought’, Thompson said. ‘I’ve only just taken over this squad and it will take a while for the boys to start playing the style of football I’d ultimately like, but today was a positive sign. We could’ve had two or three more.’

Thompson identified new signing Kieran Delaney as a standout.

‘Kieran was outstanding today. He was quality both on and off the ball. Another positive was the performance of youngster Sam Ross. It was his first game of first grade and he was extremely strong in the backline.’

Cessnock travel to Valentine to compete in the Match of the Round next week at Cahill Oval, and Singleton will play Maitland at Cook Square Park.

Tornto Awaba FC 0 def. by 4 Belmont Swansea United FC
    Lyall Peacock Field
    Sunday 23rd March, 2.30pm

In the final game of the NEWFM 1st Division first round Toronto Awaba hosted Belmont Swansea at Lyall Peacock Field.

The visitors were without Joel Shearer and Arturo Diaz, however they established their dominance on the game early when Shane Paul netted in the sixth minute.

Tim Shultz then scored in the fifteenth minute followed by a Justin Hall penalty ten minutes later.

Both sides continued to create opportunities but neither could add to the 3-0 score line and it remained that going into the half time break.

BelSwans’ Andrew Simpson scored the only goal of the second half to give the visitors a 4-0 win.

Belmont Swansea coach Brad Paul was happy with the team’s performance and equally as happy about the result.

‘I was happy with the win’, he said. ‘The goal at half time was to keep Toronto scoreless and we achieved that.’

Paul went on to commend the performance of Shane Paul, as well as stating his content with youngsters Jaydon Rolla and Tim Shultz; labeling the trio as three standout players throughout the match.

In Round 2 action Toronto will travel to Thornton and Belmont Swansea host West Wallsend at Blacksmiths Oval.

Nests on the home dugout at Blacksmiths Oval
    Cheers to Blake..... 3 of them!

Yep good reading ... anyone see the Cessnock game at the weekend ?

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Yep good reading ... anyone see the Cessnock game at the weekend ?
    Thought you did your own spying missions lol

It was a good entertaining game with Cessnock really trying to play the ball around. New coach with new ideas so I expect it to keep improving as the year goes on if the boys have the right attitude.

Valo will be a very difficult game as they have some quality players from the previous year (I have watched a few Valo games over the last two years) and they will have a good year and I think they will be a bit too good for Cessnock at this stage.

Only my opinion but If Cessnock continue to play the way they did on the weekend they will have a much improved season and Their supporters will enjoy watching them. They have some good young players in the 19s and they blooded one last week so if they can keep them and their coach improves their clubs style of play then theirs no reason they can't challenge for finals next year. They need these kids to step up to improve their quality of depth.

I must say though it is the first time I have watched them play so must make it clear I don't know their previous style just going on results from last year but I think it's fair to say they certainly played better than what I expected on last years results and reading all the reviews from last season as well.

No shot intended at previous players or coaches so hopefully no offence will be taken.
    Last edited by newie4eva; 26-03-2014 at 06:45 PM.

I'll take a stab at this weekends results.
    Valo 4 Cessnock 1
    Belmont 5 Westy 0
    Maitland 5 Singo 1
    Thornton 3 Stags 0

Quote Originally Posted by Elude View Post
    I'll take a stab at this weekends results.
    Valo 4 Cessnock 1
    Belmont 5 Westy 0
    Maitland 5 Singo 1
    Thornton 3 Stags 0
    Valo 4-0 Cessnock
    Belmont 8-0 Westy
    Maitland 7-0 Singleton
    Thornton 2-1 Stags

Predictions:
    Phoenix 3-1 Cessnock
    Belswans 8-1 Westy
    Maitland 4-0 Singo
    Thornton 0-3 Stags
    OK

Last chance CONTACT ME ASAP if you are looking for a game!

Newcastle University FC

We are currently looking for a GOAL KEEPER to join our ZPL squad after a couple players have pulled the pin last minute. If you are a goal keeper or know of someone who would be interested in having a run this season either contact myself or come along to training. Be quick about it, its getting close to our cut off date.

Contact
    Email: joshua.piotrowski@uon.edu.au
    Ph: 0422284293

Training details
    Tuesday: 7pm, oval no.3 behind the forum at the uni
    Thursday: 7pm, oval no.2 next to the forum at the uni

any other details can be found on our website.
    http://www.newcastleunifc.com

Predictions
    Going for an upset
    Valo 2 cessnock 3
    Belmont 5 westy 1
    Maitland 6 singo 0
    Thornton 2 stags 3
    Last edited by Johnny; 28-03-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Valentine 3 Cessnock 1
    Belmont 6 Wallsend 0
    Maitland 5 Singleton 1
    Thornton 1 Toronto 2