Page 86 of 96 FirstFirst ... 36768485868788 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

serious though just as an aside, please watch that video of Kanye and Mike Meyers. Watch Mikes face as Kanye goes off the script. When he delivers the immortal line, the look on Mikes face and the speed at which they cut away was brilliant.
    No one was ready for that. it was fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    look at Kanye West.

no one was protesting his music, or calling for boycotts, or petitioning Adidas, or getting on change.org to kick him out of where ever the hell he was before he wore that damn red hat.

his music didnt change, but geez, peoples opinion of him did. they pulled hammys backpeddling on the bloke.
    also, the red hat brigade that all of a sudden found him to be a spokes person for black america didnt have the same opinion of him when he said very similar thoughts on that telethon with Austin Powers that time. whoo buy, has his demo changed.

so you tell me why people changed on him. was it his art, or not? and thats my point.
    But his music did change. He went from being at the forefront of a new era of Hip Hop (up to Graduation in 2007) and then he tried something new on 808s and Heartbreak which some older fans didn't like but still had some success. Once he released "My Dark Twisted Fantasy" in 2010 he had basically given up on making Hip Hop. He just wanted to make commercial songs to peddle to kids and money spenders.

That was 2 yrs before he got with Kim and many years before the red hat thing.

His music sucks now yet he and his fans claim that he is still a big name in Hip Hop. Nowadays he's hated by everyone and deservedly gets called out when he does something purely to stay relevant like the red hat thing or claiming to be the new saviour like he has just started to do. I mean, he's an evangelist now and even goes onto the televangelist shows and preaches to white people. The Kanye who wrote College Dropout wouldn't be doing that shit.

The petition to get him off the headliner spot at Glastonbury was because it is a rock concert and they demanded a rock band have headlining spot. That was 3 years before the red hat and "slavery wasn't real" scandals.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

serious though just as an aside, please watch that video of Kanye and Mike Meyers. Watch Mikes face as Kanye goes off the script. When he delivers the immortal line, the look on Mikes face and the speed at which they cut away was brilliant.
    No one was ready for that. it was fantastic.
    I remember it at the time. Kanye wasn't what he is now so people weren't prepared for stupidity to spray out of his mouth at any moment.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

If you haven't had your daily dose of internet AIDS, please take the time to watch this banger..
    Apparently Kim was so distraught with peoples reactions to her part in this "art" and couldn't work out why everyone was laughing at her..
    My personal favorite is how the second-coming genius rhymes reputation with reputation 4 times in a row.. Beyond fathomable to our simple minds..
    (Oh yeah, even though there is no nudity, probably best not to watch at work)

And yes, the Seth Rogan/James Franco version is great..

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    hahaha.. Great movie..

ok im not going to tell you what is and isnt funny, but just so you know, the dude saying "ok boomer" is the mirror image to the dude saying "ok snowflake".

if you think one is funny, then your spiderman twin likes the other.
    I feel like you don't find it funny as you haven't really gotten the joke. Ok Boomer isn't telling meant to be an insult (yes, it's insulting in an overall context but not a straight insult).

Ok Boomer basically means that the person you are speaking to isn't going to listen reasoning as they have already formed an opinion based on no facts.

Ok Boomer actually stands for "Whatever".

My point earlier was when I thought you were complaining about JJJ without listening to it. Based on the notion that they didn't play commerical music solely based on who wrote it. Which I think is incorrect.

For examples Rhianna, Beyonce, INXS, MJ, Queen, Jay Z, Puff Daddy, Prince, Tupac, etc have all been aired on JJJ. They just made songs that the listeners liked. Bruno Mars has also featured on plenty of tracks that JJJ have played (but only as a feature rather than his own work). Taylor Swift may have never made the cut.

Also also (in case anyone missed it) Taylor Swift wasn't allowed to enter into the Hottest 100 because she was using paid advertising from KFC to get votes from people, they used a voting bot which let people bypass all the registration stuff and only had a click once to submit a vote (you could also vote as many times as you want) and also because the record company had been throwing it's weight around on other stations promoting it.

If you want to learn about music study Rachmaninoff.
    If you want to learn about marketing study Taylor Swift.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    If you haven't had your daily dose of internet AIDS, please take the time to watch this banger..
    Apparently Kim was so distraught with peoples reactions to her part in this "art" and couldn't work out why everyone was laughing at her..
    My personal favorite is how the second-coming genius rhymes reputation with reputation 4 times in a row.. Beyond fathomable to our simple minds..
    (Oh yeah, even though there is no nudity, probably best not to watch at work)

And yes, the Seth Rogan/James Franco version is great..
    I know hip hop isn't everyone's cup of tea. But this is what Kanye used to sound like when he was just blowing up for comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    I feel like you don't find it funny as you haven't really gotten the joke. Ok Boomer isn't telling meant to be an insult (yes, it's insulting in an overall context but not a straight insult).

Ok Boomer basically means that the person you are speaking to isn't going to listen reasoning as they have already formed an opinion based on no facts.

Ok Boomer actually stands for "Whatever".

My point earlier was when I thought you were complaining about JJJ without listening to it. Based on the notion that they didn't play commerical music solely based on who wrote it. Which I think is incorrect.

For examples Rhianna, Beyonce, INXS, MJ, Queen, Jay Z, Puff Daddy, Prince, Tupac, etc have all been aired on JJJ. They just made songs that the listeners liked. Bruno Mars has also featured on plenty of tracks that JJJ have played (but only as a feature rather than his own work). Taylor Swift may have never made the cut.

Also also (in case anyone missed it) Taylor Swift wasn't allowed to enter into the Hottest 100 because she was using paid advertising from KFC to get votes from people, they used a voting bot which let people bypass all the registration stuff and only had a click once to submit a vote (you could also vote as many times as you want) and also because the record company had been throwing it's weight around on other stations promoting it.

oh i get the OK boomer stuff. i just dont find it funny. maybe because im neither a boomer, nor someone who cares about someone calling them names. when politicians start using it, you know its super lame and time to move on.
    i dont care what JJJ plays, i just prefer them to play their music rather then needing to rationalise it.

The revisionist reasons for booting Swift off the Hottest 100 were laughable. They were better off just saying, "we think she sucks" and owning it. the relentless back peddling made them look like the biggest pack of softcocks. it was lawyer speak and all done after the fact. if they were honest and just said they dont like her music and they are changing the rules because its their comp id have admired it more.

mind you, this is the same organisation thats biggest and most successful promotion ever was the original 'bang the drum' campaign. These guys pulled off one of the most successful and original guerilla marketing campaigns we've seen. it was amazing how they did it. but when they 'got got' themselves, the sneering belittling bullshit that they came out with was so lame it made them all forget where they came from.
    it was just a sad chapter and could have been handled better. the move there was just to put it straight in the hands of the Chaser guys and dont let management open their mouths. it would have been good content. it all ended up pretty sad.

also, on this:
    lets be real here, the definition is that the person isnt going to listen to 'your' reasoning as they have already formed an opinion based on facts different to what 'you believe' to be facts. its meant as an insult, in the same way getting called a 'social justice warrior' or a 'snowflake' is supposed to be an insult. none of them are particularly funny or clever imho.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

From 2015, the paper of record for all important people and issues, the Guardian:
    In fact, on the eve of his appearance at Glastonbury, he’s arguably the most critically beloved pop artist of the 21st century so far. From the release of his debut, The College Dropout, in 2004 (which Rolling Stone called one of the 10 best albums of the decade, in any genre) to his most recent work, Yeezus (which the Guardian and many others called the best album of 2013), practically no one has been as beloved, by critics and fans alike, for so long.

y'all sure his music sucked long long before the Trump thing?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    thats Almost Famous right?

ive never seen that, and for someone that watches a lot of movies, ive never, for one second thought "geez i should watch that".

pretty sure Jerry Maguire scared me off any future time spent watching Cameron Crowe efforts.
    Seems like I am WRONG

although i saw Vanilla Sky once, was that good? cant remember if it was any good or not. it was weird though yeah?
    Seems like I am WRONG

From 2015, the paper of record for all important people and issues, the Guardian:

y'all sure his music sucked long long before the Trump thing?

Lol, an organisation that gets paid to promote things said he was great and you think that's a worthwhile way to argue that he wasn't disliked by one community (i.e the hip hop community)? You aren't even trying these days.

He still sold plenty of records since he changed direction and still has a huge following. But that doesn't distract from those people from within the hip hop community hating on him. Those are the people you said only did so because of his acts rather than his music. Becky and Chad buying his records doesn't mean much long term. You're mistaking sales for respect. And yeah, I know which one most people care about but it doesn't change my point.

Look at post Newstead Metallica. As if anything since Trujillo joined is going to compare to their old stuff. Yet they still sell out shows that they don't show up for.

The revisionist reasons for booting Swift off the Hottest 100 were laughable. They were better off just saying, "we think she sucks" and owning it. the relentless back peddling made them look like the biggest pack of softcocks. it was lawyer speak and all done after the fact. if they were honest and just said they dont like her music and they are changing the rules because its their comp id have admired it more.
    You mean the one time they spoke about it, an hour before the countdown kicked off, linking a website that explained it all? All the back peddling.... Like... So much back peddling. And lawyer speak..... Wow!!

They didn't change the rules, they added rules because up to that point no idiot had tried to ruin it. And luckily, since then no other idiots have tried.

She had polled at #76 even if she was allowed. So even with dodgy voting and a promotion campaign she couldn't break the top 50, so the entire thing was completely pointless.

thats Almost Famous right?

ive never seen that, and for someone that watches a lot of movies, ive never, for one second thought "geez i should watch that".

pretty sure Jerry Maguire scared me off any future time spent watching Cameron Crowe efforts.
    Jerry Maguire is horrible. It has a few good lines but overall pretty poor compared to his other films.

Almost Famous is about Cameron Crowe working with Rolling Stone Magazine when he was a 16 year old kid still at high school - he got to go on tour with the Allman Brothers and the movie is pretty much about what happened to him on the tour. It's a great movie and insight into a band going on tour and the perks and cons of life on the road.

His best film though is Fast Times at Ridgemont High [Wrote not directed] - if you haven't seen that get it immediately - it's probably launched more careers than any movie in history.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-11-2019 at 05:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    She had polled at #76 even if she was allowed. So even with dodgy voting and a promotion campaign she couldn't break the top 50, so the entire thing was completely pointless.
    i thought it was confirmed she would have got #12? ima go check that.
    Seems like I am WRONG

although i saw Vanilla Sky once, was that good? cant remember if it was any good or not. it was weird though yeah?
    I'd already seen Abre los Ojos several times before Vanilla Sky so it was always going to be a let down for me. But it wasn't the bomb the media made it out to be either.