Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
actually looking back over the last 20 years of winners i can see in most cases why a particular song won.even if i didnt dig it personally, you could always see why people thought it was a good song.
It either had huge hooks like Muse, Franz Ferdinand or QOTA (yes, and even Jet).
or they were classic drunken singalong songs (Zombie, Wonderwall, Amazing, One crowded hour)
or it was during Powderfingers run of writing single after single that were so radio friendly you couldnt not get involved.

id contend that its only really fallen apart in the last few years, like the Rubens, Kendrick Lamar and Chet Faker, These were all pretty lame songs, but (esp in Kendricks case) it was to make up for previous snubs.

Hottest 100 is fast becoming like the Oscars, where as people are more concerned about voting for the 'right' song vs voting for the song they like the most. You only have to see by everyone rushing to post their votes on social media. in the old days no one knew you voted for Offspring, and today even if you thought it was the dopest song ever written, you are now scared of peoples reactions if you vote for it.

im convinced this is how Tame Impala became popular. Because their music is garbage, but man oh man ive never heard from anyone hating on them in public.
You can't be serious about Tame Impala. The blokes [Kevin Parker] a freakin genius Plague. He uses budget guitars and simple over the counter / cheap Boss Fx pedals and comes up with a very professional sounding product most clowns couldn't emulate spending 50 times as much.
Basically, he's a 21st century version of Brian Wilson.

It's not my cup of tea either - but the bloke has a shit load of talent.