Page 89 of 96 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 1,761 to 1,780 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    HAHAH No way, i didn't even realise all of those were in the lineup..
    Does Darude just play Sandstorm for 40 minutes straight?
    I can only assume so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Kelis has plenty of good songs, but that crowd will just want to hear Milkshakes and then leave as well.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Kelis has plenty of good songs, but that crowd will just want to hear Milkshakes and then leave as well.
    I was going to ask if that is all she would play, but didn't want to appear ignorant or to be bagging out on the festival.. haha.. (Well, no more than usual)

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I was going to ask if that is all she would play, but didn't want to appear ignorant or to be bagging out on the festival.. haha.. (Well, no more than usual)
    Kelis had a great run when she was working with The Neptune's (Pharrell and Chad from N.E.R.D.) but I assume those kids will only know her as the Milkshake Girl.

Not bad to look at either.

Slight tangent, This is a great film clip. Dolomite super cut with ODB.

I've got a lot of respect for Sugar Hill Gang but I really can't see that being an enjoyable experience for a few thousand teenagers to try and connect with 2 of the 3 original members, both of which would be 60+ years old at a guess, of a band that blew up and then fell away very quickly during the formative years of Hip Hop.
    Big Bank Hank Jackson passed away in 2014 and yes the remaining two are in their 60's. One of my friends in the 70's to early 80's was right into rap / hip hop when it all started - I can't remember the other bands names at the time but the Sugar Hill Gang were sort of viewed as being too commercial and far from innovators in a genre that wasn't expected to last any longer than the Punk Movement [2 years or so]

I guess they got that wrong.

I liked the Sugar Hill Gang at the time but was more into Talking Heads, B-52's, and Joy Division at the time.

I agree 60 year olds at Groovin the Moo would be a bit disconnected from the crowd or teens - but the fans rarely have anything in common with bands other than being a pill away from an overdose.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.

The Veronicas still go off live and they make alot more of their songs more rocky

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Big Bank Hank Jackson passed away in 2014 and yes the remaining two are in their 60's. One of my friends in the 70's to early 80's was right into rap / hip hop when it all started - I can't remember the other bands names at the time but the Sugar Hill Gang were sort of viewed as being too commercial and far from innovators in a genre that wasn't expected to last any longer than the Punk Movement [2 years or so]

I guess they got that wrong.

I liked the Sugar Hill Gang at the time but was more into Talking Heads, B-52's, and Joy Division at the time.

I agree 60 year olds at Groovin the Moo would be a bit disconnected from the crowd or teens - but the fans rarely have anything in common with bands other than being a pill away from an overdose.
    There was a scene trying to break on to the radio with little success, then the Sugar Hill Gang came out with a really radio friendly version of Hip Hop that went big. So the scene didn't like that the first one to take off wasn't really representative of what was happening at the time.

That said, it was still what was needed to get Hip Hop on to the radio and help it become a viable career, so it still deserves all of its praise.

Hip Hop is actually fascinating in its formative years, it kind of latched on to other music styles (because of sampling) and then had multiple scenes running separately for a while and it took decades to finally form one giant scene, which is the juggernaut that is currently on top of the music chain.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    The Veronicas still go off live and they make alot more of their songs more rocky
    So they make music for 12 yr old girls normally but make it for angry 12 yr old girls live?

So they make music for 12 yr old girls normally but make it for angry 12 yr old girls live?
    Their first two albums have heaps of bangers for people of all ages and genres
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

I just realised that Download Festival tickets are $200 for general admission. That is absolutely ridiculous for a single day festival.

I just realised that Download Festival tickets are $200 for general admission. That is absolutely ridiculous for a single day festival.
    Most festivals are around 180

Most festivals are around 180
    Unify is $260 for 2 days of festival and camping. $200 for a single day festival is just robbery.

No young kid could afford that. Probably explains why the lineup is full of old bands.

Unify is $260 for 2 days of festival and camping. $200 for a single day festival is just robbery.

No young kid could afford that. Probably explains why the lineup is full of old bands.
    Bands only do Festivals if they are on their way out or got conned by their management / label to do them possibly in support of a new act they are trying to break / promote.

These types of events have been a shit show since before Woodstock 69 and I doubt that much has changed.

As for prices they are out of control but it's probably due to insurance / security and every other prick putting their fingers into the ever shrinking pie.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-02-2020 at 08:08 PM.

Bands only do Festivals if they are on their way out or got conned by their management / label to do them possibly in support of a new act they are trying to break / promote.

These types of events have been a shit show since before Woodstock 69 and I doubt that much has changed.
    Flipside of that coin is smaller bands getting a chance on early slots on bigger stages.

Have you been to any festivals lately

Have you been to any festivals lately
    No. But I avoided them as a young bloke as well Stanny - not my thing - would much prefer a more intimate setting like a pub / small theatre.
    The bands hate these events and when people don't enjoy what they are doing - their performances usually suffer because of it.

Flipside of that coin is smaller bands getting a chance on early slots on bigger stages.
    Absolutely - that's the only reason to go to this sort of event - you might get to see a Silverchair / Nirvana / U2 before they blow up.