Page 87 of 96 FirstFirst ... 37778586878889 ... LastLast
Results 1,721 to 1,740 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    You're mistaking sales for respect. And yeah, I know which one most people care about but it doesn't change my point.
    well of course respect cant be measured. but respect for ones music can absolutely be changed by factors other than the songs themselves.
    Also, my point more was that as his 'respect' dissolved in one section of the community it all of a sudden rose in another, and i still maintain it wasnt all about the music.

look at Michael Jackson, universally respected, but now his legacy is absolutely trashed (amid non-proven allegations btw).
    look at damn Elvis, everyone was fine with him until people started pointing out that he stole his act from black folk.
    we'll disagree on Kanye and thats cool. i still respect you and will def buy your new Emery dis-track that no doubt is in the works.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i thought it was confirmed she would have got #12? ima go check that.
    SMH and News limited were reporting it would have finished 12th. they dont back it up with anything so take that however we wish i guess.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

well of course respect cant be measured. but respect for ones music can absolutely be changed by factors other than the songs themselves.
    Also, my point more was that as his 'respect' dissolved in one section of the community it all of a sudden rose in another, and i still maintain it wasnt all about the music.

look at Michael Jackson, universally respected, but now his legacy is absolutely trashed (amid non-proven allegations btw).
    look at damn Elvis, everyone was fine with him until people started pointing out that he stole his act from black folk.
    we'll disagree on Kanye and thats cool. i still respect you and will def buy your new Emery dis-track that no doubt is in the works.
    Michael Jackson released five piss poor solo albums before Off the Wall - without Quincy Jones and some of the best musicians on the planet he was little more than a dancer who could sing a bit.
    The respect was with his brothers who were / are highly accomplished musicians [Jermaine Jackson is one of the best bass players on the planet].

Pretty true about Elvis - Elvis was pretty much a joke once he left Sun Records. The respect musically was really for people like Chet and Scotty who's musicianship put him on the map. Once the Beatles arrived he was finished - if not before. Great showman - but still no Sammy Davis Jr.

Cool

SMH and News limited were reporting it would have finished 12th. they dont back it up with anything so take that however we wish i guess.
    My reference was one of the "leaked list" ones. So it's not a respectable reference either. But I think that even at 12, I don't think it did well enough given the money spent on getting it in there in the first place. That said, I'm happy to stop arguing/being a dick about the whole thing.

I also don't love JJJ anymore. But that's on me and not them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

This used to be mainstream in the late 50's early 60's before The Beatles arrived. In 1959 Rock and Roll was pretty much dead or drawing its last breath aside from the odd few tracks - by 1960 Rock and Roll was well and truly gone.

To think the 50's was all Chuck Berry, Elvis, Bill Haley, Eddie Cochran, and Buddy Holly is simply wrong.

My reference was one of the "leaked list" ones. So it's not a respectable reference either. But I think that even at 12, I don't think it did well enough given the money spent on getting it in there in the first place. That said, I'm happy to stop arguing/being a dick about the whole thing.

I also don't love JJJ anymore. But that's on me and not them.
    oh i dont think anyones being a dick here. i love these types of conversations as it generally makes me reflect with a little more accuracy and end up in rabbit holes of stupidity: speaking of which.

I was looking through the history of the American Music Awards. it seemed to be a bit more 'representative' of most factors of the music industry. It took in sales, airplay, industry opinion and fan votes (in different structures across its history).

Anyway they were on today (yesterday?) and they gave out the 'Artist of the decade'. It went to Taylor Swift. So i went back and looked at who the other 'artist of the decade' winner were. (some were done at the time the others retrospectively). Check out this list.

50's - Elvis.
    60's - The Beatles.
    70's - Stevie Wonder.
    80's - Michael Jackson.
    90's - Garth Brooks.
    (for some reason it wasnt awarded in the 00's.
    10's - Taylor Swift.

So Garth Brooks looked like a bit of an anomaly. Until i read a bit further.
    All time, 5 of the top 10 AMA winners are country artists. Kenny Rodgers and Reba McEntire have both won more than Beyonce. would never have picked that.

It prob shows just how big Country is (and always has been) in America, its such a minor category here but its massive over there. It also shows that stereotypical 'red neck' impression people have of middle america is a ****ing huge base to ignore.
    It also puts artists in our generation into perspective.
    Alabama are 3rd all time for wins, can you even begin to imagine how that would go with Twitter around?
    Seems like I am WRONG

oh i dont think anyones being a dick here. i love these types of conversations as it generally makes me reflect with a little more accuracy and end up in rabbit holes of stupidity: speaking of which.

I was looking through the history of the American Music Awards. it seemed to be a bit more 'representative' of most factors of the music industry. It took in sales, airplay, industry opinion and fan votes (in different structures across its history).

Anyway they were on today (yesterday?) and they gave out the 'Artist of the decade'. It went to Taylor Swift. So i went back and looked at who the other 'artist of the decade' winner were. (some were done at the time the others retrospectively). Check out this list.

50's - Elvis.
    60's - The Beatles.
    70's - Stevie Wonder.
    80's - Michael Jackson.
    90's - Garth Brooks.
    (for some reason it wasnt awarded in the 00's.
    10's - Taylor Swift.

So Garth Brooks looked like a bit of an anomaly. Until i read a bit further.
    All time, 5 of the top 10 AMA winners are country artists. Kenny Rodgers and Reba McEntire have both won more than Beyonce. would never have picked that.

It prob shows just how big Country is (and always has been) in America, its such a minor category here but its massive over there. It also shows that stereotypical 'red neck' impression people have of middle america is a ****ing huge base to ignore.
    It also puts artists in our generation into perspective.
    Alabama are 3rd all time for wins, can you even begin to imagine how that would go with Twitter around?
    Record sales and industry awards tell us about the business and the marketing side of the industry. It tells us very little about the artistic side of music which to many of us is all that matters.

The Beatles and Stevie Wonder are really the only musical giants on that list - the rest had commercial success but weren't really innovators in the sense that they formed genres of music and supplied a blueprint for others to follow.

With respect to Alabama - listen to an album Plague then try and get the tunes out of your head - it's very catchy / addictive/with brilliant harmonies and musicianship. Wonderful band and deserving of their commercial success.

I'm a big fan of country music - but mainly the traditional and bluegrass is more my thing than the Nashville sound that's commercially successful.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-11-2019 at 11:06 PM.

Brad Paisley is very good.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-11-2019 at 11:14 PM.

Best Chicken picker in the business Johnny Hiland.

Ted Greene.

Louis, Ella, and Oscar.

Dennis Brain - the benchmark of horn players - and the only reason anyone even plays one today.

Good things should be a good thing today

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Good things should be a good thing today
    If the music is half as good as the website graphics / cartoons it should be well worth the price of entry Stanny.

https://www.goodthingsfestival.com.au/

Last edited by The Dunster; 07-12-2019 at 10:58 AM.

It was indeed a good thing

New Trophy Eyes was interesting
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Anyone see Mac DeMarco last Friday down in Sydney? No, me neither. Had never heard of him till someone left work early to go down to the show. All I know is that he did a shoey, is Canadian, sounds like Jack Johnson on guitar and John Lennon on vocals.

Still down in Victoria after Unify Gathering 2020. Had a ball and can't wait for next year.

Rocked up on Friday at about 11am and went through the checks at the gate for glass bottles, etc, and found my way to my campsite, as soon as I arrive everyone is informed of a huge storm with 50km/he winds on its way. Told to remove gazebos, pull down tents if possible, stay in your car if needed and not setup camp until after 4pm. Decided to bring down a small caravan this year instead of the tent and thank **** that I did. At about 3pm, with the band's/show on hold, the wind and rain hit. There were tents flying round like kites, gazebos smashed, and plenty of miserable punk kids hiding under tiny little tarps trying to keep as dry as they could.

They finally got some bands on at about 6pm, on a smaller quickly assembled (but covered) stage. Once the rain stopped everyone began drinking themselves warm/dry and went to see about half the bands that were scheduled to go on.

Best part was that they managed to clear the main stage of rain in about 2hrs so the mighty Architects could play at 11pm on the main stage (the only band who played main stage that day). Sound was a little iffy if you were too far away but once you were up close they absolutely tore the place part apart. There's a reason they win so many "live band of the year" awards. Great set.

After a few hours sleep we wake up to the news that the rain has gone and they will be ensuring that every band on the bill will be squeezed into today's schedule. So gates open earlier than normal, band play later and the small stage will host a few bands through the day too.

Awesome efforts by the organisers to get everyone on.

The Ghost Inside were awesome considering their 4 year break and recovery from their bus crash. Sounded superb and went harder than their bodies probably wanted them to.

Northlane were absolutely garbage, over half their set is them dancing around with and electronic overlay taking care of the music. One of the worst bands I've ever witnessed.

Void of Vision went of, Polaris went off, the Beautiful Monuments went off, Between You and Me did a a proper pop-punk show with crowd surfing and sing alongs in equal measure. Young kids in Weighbridge, one of the earliest bands on, absolutely tore it up too. They could be the next Thornhill.

You rock up, bring whatever alcohol you want in can form, set up you're own site and have as much fun as you can over 3/4 days listening to all sorts of punk and hardcore music. There's nothing I don't like about this place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Anyone see Mac DeMarco last Friday down in Sydney? No, me neither. Had never heard of him till someone left work early to go down to the show. All I know is that he did a shoey, is Canadian, sounds like Jack Johnson on guitar and John Lennon on vocals.
    He has a lot of quite chilled out songs I think, I don't mind listening to him.

I was quite into this song a few years ago when it came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeRIAew8eXc

Still down in Victoria after Unify Gathering 2020. Had a ball and can't wait for next year.

Rocked up on Friday at about 11am and went through the checks at the gate for glass bottles, etc, and found my way to my campsite, as soon as I arrive everyone is informed of a huge storm with 50km/he winds on its way. Told to remove gazebos, pull down tents if possible, stay in your car if needed and not setup camp until after 4pm. Decided to bring down a small caravan this year instead of the tent and thank **** that I did. At about 3pm, with the band's/show on hold, the wind and rain hit. There were tents flying round like kites, gazebos smashed, and plenty of miserable punk kids hiding under tiny little tarps trying to keep as dry as they could.

They finally got some bands on at about 6pm, on a smaller quickly assembled (but covered) stage. Once the rain stopped everyone began drinking themselves warm/dry and went to see about half the bands that were scheduled to go on.

Best part was that they managed to clear the main stage of rain in about 2hrs so the mighty Architects could play at 11pm on the main stage (the only band who played main stage that day). Sound was a little iffy if you were too far away but once you were up close they absolutely tore the place part apart. There's a reason they win so many "live band of the year" awards. Great set.

After a few hours sleep we wake up to the news that the rain has gone and they will be ensuring that every band on the bill will be squeezed into today's schedule. So gates open earlier than normal, band play later and the small stage will host a few bands through the day too.

Awesome efforts by the organisers to get everyone on.

The Ghost Inside were awesome considering their 4 year break and recovery from their bus crash. Sounded superb and went harder than their bodies probably wanted them to.

Northlane were absolutely garbage, over half their set is them dancing around with and electronic overlay taking care of the music. One of the worst bands I've ever witnessed.

Void of Vision went of, Polaris went off, the Beautiful Monuments went off, Between You and Me did a a proper pop-punk show with crowd surfing and sing alongs in equal measure. Young kids in Weighbridge, one of the earliest bands on, absolutely tore it up too. They could be the next Thornhill.

You rock up, bring whatever alcohol you want in can form, set up you're own site and have as much fun as you can over 3/4 days listening to all sorts of punk and hardcore music. There's nothing I don't like about this place.
    **** that's insane. I wanted to go so badly but didn't have a group keen to come. Sounds like you saw some awesome bands. The Beautiful Monument are awesome and great everytime live and Polaris has me super hyped for their new album.