Page 46 of 96 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Very hard defining "pop" - I now realise most of my collection "isn't"!

The new Sgt Pepper mixes later this month will be interesting. The greatest pop music was during the 60's but it was a singles market and albums were just singles collections plus filler.

In the 70's the biggest bands in pop music - Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, Skyhooks, Sherbet et al don't really sound like "pop" now, though they were considered that at the time.

I'd give a guernsey to Abba's "Arrival" - very classy LP that one and I still have it.

80's/90's is pop heaven due to the onset of video - not much since 2000 strikes me as pop though in terms of albums, seems to be singles driven again.
    Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, and to a lesser extent Skyhooks - I'd say would sit alongside hair metal type bands like Poison, Whitesnake, Bon Jovi - that sort of thing. Not Metal / not rock / not really pop either. But with mass appeal among teens at the time.

But if I had to define what Pop was in the early to mid 70's it would be these guys.

Oh how we hated them so much. And yet over 40 years later I kind think they weren't so bad. Maybe even good.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 26-04-2017 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    But if I had to define what Pop was in the early to mid 70's it would be these guys.

Oh how we hated them so much. And yet over 40 years later I kind think they weren't so bad. Maybe even good.
    Who or what the hell is that?

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    The Bay City Rollers. I posted a video above - have a listen.
    They were the early 1970's version of One Direction only these guys could actually play a little.
    Every teenage girl loved them every teenage dude wanted to punch them out.

ok, so im stuck in yet another hole room so what better time than to share some examples of why i love Prince.

first up:
    Super Bowl performance.
    Its was belting down, his dancers (and him) had ridiculous heels on.
    He used live guitars, something that doesnt happen anymore and most importantly (as explained in a documentary that i cant find right now) he was just up there jamming, playing covers, not caring or even trying to promote himself, or his latest work. he was just rocking out in front of a couple hundred million people.

and he killed it.

i love this, hope you enjoy.

*edit, ok i found the part of the official NFL doc that explains it better.
    Last edited by plague; 28-04-2017 at 06:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

next:

Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction (for someone).
    The names up there are pretty legendary, then in rocks Prince.
    Absolutely smashes it. The amount of ego on that stage would have been phenomenal. Yet the solo is just insane and no one dares step on his moment.

also, this is absolutely worth watching just to see the most Prince of Prince moments after hes done. Where the hell did that guitar go?

enjoy:

And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

last one:

Bruno Mars Super Bowl performance.

by god this bloke is great.

that voice, as evidenced when Anthony Keidis tries to jam with him.

i love Bruno Mars.

Seems like I am WRONG

Great posts Plague. I've been a Prince fan since the late 1970's - have all the albums and never tire listening to them.

Bruno Mars is brilliant. Very unique voice and can pretty much puts his stamp on anything he sings.

Happy birthday, Bon. In honour of this day, I have asked Arjen to release an album and he has done so. What a bloke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_(Ayreon_album)

Listening to your present now

Anyone go to Protest The Hero the other night? Still pretty great even though they had to play as a 4 piece

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Happy birthday, Bon. In honour of this day, I have asked Arjen to release an album and he has done so. What a bloke.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Source_(Ayreon_album)

Listening to your present now
    Cheers mate, I might have to go find it and give it a burl now..

Quote Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
    Anyone go to Protest The Hero the other night? Still pretty great even though they had to play as a 4 piece
    I had all intentions of going, however ended up having a "meet the parents" evening with the new Mrs.. haha..
    How was it? I heard they had to do it 4 piece as one of the guitarists had to fly back to Canada for personal reasons..
    I was a huge fan of their original bassist, Arif, but only realised he left the band semi-recently..

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Ah the Rollers, yes. Hated at the time but much more appreciated down the track for their musicianship.

"We hate the Rollers, oh yes we do, and when we hear them sing, they make us spew".

Much like another that just came to mind whose TV series I am now binging on...

Some mighty classy pop songs came from them and an amazing stable of songwriters.

Used to collect Monkees bubblegum cards and wear a Mike Nesmith woolly hat when I was 7 years old - what a twat!
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 28-04-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Cheers mate, I might have to go find it and give it a burl now..

I had all intentions of going, however ended up having a "meet the parents" evening with the new Mrs.. haha..
    How was it? I heard they had to do it 4 piece as one of the guitarists had to fly back to Canada for personal reasons..
    I was a huge fan of their original bassist, Arif, but only realised he left the band semi-recently..
    That was the first time I've seen them. Was a bit hesitant with the sunday night show plus guitarist heading back to Canada, but they ended up running some of his parts through the PA and it sounded good, plus he is the less "shreddier' of the two. Setlist was good - one off Kezia, 2 each off Scurrilous and the new ep and the rest of the set was from Fortress and Volition. New bass player was on his first tour with them I think and seemed to be loving it - guy can definitely play

Judge away but Im loving their new music
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Judge away but Im loving their new music
    You can like what you want, Stanny... no judgement from me. I love Michelle Branch and John Denver, so I can't judge anyone

You can like what you want, Stanny... no judgement from me. I love Michelle Branch and John Denver, so I can't judge anyone
    I loved that everywhere song by Michelle Branch and the song she did with Santana
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    I loved that everywhere song by Michelle Branch and the song she did with Santana
    Breathe is my Michelle Branch favourite.

Breathe is my Michelle Branch favourite.
    Did you end up picking up a guitar ? If so, it's a very easy song to learn if you were looking for ideas of things to play.

Did you end up picking up a guitar ? If so, it's a very easy song to learn if you were looking for ideas of things to play.
    I got my brothers acoustic restrung a few weeks back but have had a hectic schedule and haven't had a chance to pick it up yet.

Well that Groovin the Moo shit is on again - can hear the bass notes travelling up the valley towards my place already.
    Same as last year they seem to have put a ban on anyone that can actually play an instrument being allowed on stage.
    I know I'm old and out of touch - but holy shit this crap is terrible. In my day we would have thrown bottles at khunts that played that poorly.

Well that Groovin the Moo shit is on again - can hear the bass notes travelling up the valley towards my place already.
    Same as last year they seem to have put a ban on anyone that can actually play an instrument being allowed on stage.
    I know I'm old and out of touch - but holy shit this crap is terrible. In my day we would have thrown bottles at khunts that played that poorly.