Page 23 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

My favourite DJ troop, Yacht Club DJs, are calling it quits :'(

They're doing a last tour, called "Hooroo", and I've just obtained tickets to see them at the Cambridge in November. So keen but I already miss them.
    OK

Primus have just released a cover album, Primus and the Chocolate Factory..
    It is awesome.. Comical yet very dark..
    Apparently they sell Primus chocolates at shows now, and also released 5 "gold" vinyls around the world, whoever finds them gets free entry to Primus shows for life.. haha

The Rolling Stones tonight :brr:
    OK

I've been smashing Sticky Fingers lately.

After hearing them mentioned both on JJJ and by various people I decided to actually see what they were about. Had no idea they were a nice mix of reggae rock, really really digging their album.

Kiss the Breeze probably my favourite.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    The Rolling Stones tonight :brr:
    Honestly one of the best gigs I've been to. These guys, even considering age, are just so fxxxing good. They don't care if they make a mistake or if someone takes a solo 5 mins too long, they don't care if they're too old and skip a note or forget the words, they just play rock'n'roll.

Great show!

Interesting to see that Keith Richards clearly looks the oldest, and Charlie the drummer looks the youngest, but I think they're respectively the youngest and oldest - shows what 50 years of cocaine has done to Keith
    OK

OK

These guys i have been into for the last couple of years... they just keep getting better and better!
    Pretty wicked clip for this one!

WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Ok, music nerds, DJ nerds and physics nerds. I've been mulling this over, and would like some other opinions, or if i'm just missing something.

Take for instance, a band: A drummer, bass, Lead and vocals. All 4 are making sound at the same time. Just different sounds.

Now, physics wise, these sound waves, should be affected by wave interference, constructive or destructive... correct?

Ok...So lets take a split second of music where all 4 are making sound at once.
    I'm assuming the interference occurs, because you don't exactly hear, a little bit of guitar, bit of vocal then more guitar. It's all at once.
    This is tough without pictures. *Goes to work on paint*. Assume the below picture is 4 instruments making their sounds, and they are affected by interference. And the overall amplitude (essentially) is what we hear (in a very simplified)... Correct?

What if, i then go to my computer, and with the whizz bang computers and they programs, i make an artificial sound that is the same amplitude, frequency and pitch as the resultant wave from above, do i end up with an identical sound?

(I had a long drive tonight)
    Screen Shot 2015-01-07 at 2.40.49 am.jpg
    Last edited by Bremsstrahlung; 07-01-2015 at 03:47 AM.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    what is the actual question you're trying to ask here?

does interference from other sounds affect how we hear a specific instrument? yes but not my any noticeable degree as the vibration isn't one dimensional

can you make a single wave that sounds exactly like an entire band? yes this is what your speakers actually do - whiz bang computers take a digital signal of ones and zeros and make this waveform with a speaker

Bit of both, thanks.
    Was probably more based on the first part.

But the second part intrigues me. Say you strum a guitar once. You get a sound wave. If you then try to replicate this in a computer program where you design a sound wave and you hear the result, can you replicate the sound without "recording" it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Bit of both, thanks.
    Was probably more based on the first part.

But the second part intrigues me. Say you strum a guitar once. You get a sound wave. If you then try to replicate this in a computer program where you design a sound wave and you hear the result, can you replicate the sound without "recording" it.
    I think your question is more to do with sound synthesis.

Can a synthesizer exactly emulate an acoustic instrument - no. Can it sound as good or better to you and me than the real thing because we don't know any better - absolutely.

I've been knocking about with syths since the 1970's Moogs, Midas, Prophets, Emulators and so on. Things have come a long way but not to the point you are asking about.

Excellent, thanks! that clears it up!

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    I've been knocking about with syths since the 1970's Moogs, Midas, Prophets, Emulators and so on. Things have come a long way but not to the point you are asking about.
    I bet you have been LOVING all the mass produced dub-step thats been going on in the last few years then..
    *sarcasm, come on in*..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I bet you have been LOVING all the mass produced dub-step thats been going on in the last few years then..
    *sarcasm, come on in*..
    I'll need to google dubstep first - sign of being old.

Did some research and can confirm not liking that shit at all.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 07-01-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Righto foz members.
    Time to stand up and do whats right. Get behind the Taylor Swift movement to get her #1 on the Hottest 100.
    Every time you vote for her a little snot nosed hipster in a Ned Kelly beard loses his wings.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

I regret nothing by admitting this:

I've had Taylor Swift's new album in my car for the last fortnight and i legit love it. Apart from the first song, every song is pretty decent.
    OK

I regret nothing by admitting this:

I've had Taylor Swift's new album in my car for the last fortnight and i legit love it. Apart from the first song, every song is pretty decent.
    No shame at all in that.
    She writes/sings a mean pop song.

The best bit is that the wankers complaining about her getting votes are the same wankers voting for the Hilltop Hoods anyway.
    They spend more time on you Kyle and Jackie O FM as anyone.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    top tune
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

I'm going to bite..
    Voting for her, to fvck with trendy hipster pricks with flowers in their beards is an acceptable excuse. But actually having her album in your car?
    I can handle you being a dirty gypo. I can look the other way with your sexually charged infatuation with Matt Simon. I can try to pretend that your moustache semi-resembles Ljubos, but any bloke admitting that Taylor Swift should be more than "seen and not heard" is a dead-set gimp.. Even SB wouldn't give that shit a whirl.. She is hot, thats about it..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I can try to pretend that your moustache semi-resembles Ljubos
    Out of all the things ever said to me on the foz, this hurt the most

And P.S. haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    OK