Page 21 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    i think that the line-up is pretty weak this year.
    My exact thoughts originally.

But the more I look at the lineup, the more I went to see a heap of bands - and while it is 300-400 odd dollars I feel like I'm all but sold on the idea of going now
    OK

Dig are doing something pretty sick until Double J officially begins tomorrow at midday - they're playing "Express Yourself" in its various forms & covers on repeat.

http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/news/loca...-on-repeat.htm
    OK

Hopefully double J is only two-thirds as shit as triple J.

does anybody much follow the local music scene in newcastle?

I know in sydney there is FBI radio that has as part of its license requirements to play something like 90% Sydney based artists, is there anything like this in newcastle? or at the very least there is sure to be someone that follows/reports/blogs on the music in newcastle on a regular basis, local acts etc.

at any rate would be very interested to talk to anyone about this kind of thing if anyone has any information for me.

not looking for self promoters though.
    Go jetties

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    does anybody much follow the local music scene in newcastle?

I know in sydney there is FBI radio that has as part of its license requirements to play something like 90% Sydney based artists, is there anything like this in newcastle? or at the very least there is sure to be someone that follows/reports/blogs on the music in newcastle on a regular basis, local acts etc.

at any rate would be very interested to talk to anyone about this kind of thing if anyone has any information for me.

not looking for self promoters though.
    I spent many a year following, playing in, organizing shows, drinking heavily, with the local heavy scene. however I haven't been to too many local shows of late and now I'm a bit out of the loop..
    My mates used to run a late night show at the uni on 2NUR for metal (which wasn't strictly local, but a lot of Australian and local stuff did get a run). I'm not aware of any strictly local radio shows like the one you mentioned in Sydney..

As I said, my experience was mainly with the heavy scene, not all music in Newy.. I don't know of anyone following, reporting and blogging on all aspects of live music around Newy.. Would be a cool thing to get in to and look at though!

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I spent many a year following, playing in, organizing shows, drinking heavily, with the local heavy scene. however I haven't been to too many local shows of late and now I'm a bit out of the loop..
    My mates used to run a late night show at the uni on 2NUR for metal (which wasn't strictly local, but a lot of Australian and local stuff did get a run). I'm not aware of any strictly local radio shows like the one you mentioned in Sydney..

As I said, my experience was mainly with the heavy scene, not all music in Newy.. I don't know of anyone following, reporting and blogging on all aspects of live music around Newy.. Would be a cool thing to get in to and look at though!
    We played live on that Metal Show a few times in the late 90's. Wish I still had the tapes.

I'm a bit like you Bon. Spent close to 10 years playing in, organising shows, getting smashed and generally loving the live Newcastle scene. Seemed to really back off though in the early 2000's. I remember in the mid 90's there would be multiple pubs packed out with punters watching original bands. Used to even get enough money to cover strings, transport and more piss than I could (should) drink.

Sadly I haven't played in a band for over 10 years so I am really out of touch with the scene.

But if anyone wants to start a band I have a guitar and like to make noise.

The Hunter on Hunter was a good venue to hear alternative bands back in the early 90's. Mix of metal, grunge, and what the **** is this crap.

Most of the people I knew back then haven't played or sang for at least twenty years or so.

I can remember a few bands from the mid 90s.
    Faceplant
    Big men fly
    Vasoline machine gun who changed their name to hound.
    There were a few metal bands but can't remember their names. I mostly went to the cambo back then.

New Kasabian. Very different, I like it!

OK

Quote Originally Posted by the blue manc View Post
    Faceplant
    Big men fly
    There were a few metal bands but can't remember their names. I mostly went to the cambo back then.
    Hound made a demo that wasn't too bad but nothing ever came of it. Good band though.

Little Hornet..........JR

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    Little Hornet..........JR
    Played the JR one time and one time only. Original metal band on a tuesday night. Whoever booked that was ****ing hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by the blue manc View Post
    Faceplant
    Big men fly
    Sandpaper and Angry Earth Mother were my favourites of the mid 90's.

Stole this from my bro:

https://soundcloud.com/hyperdub/fati...adari-szechuan

Best shit you'll hear all week.

Get ready to start droppin' "motherfvcka's".. They are back with a new album!!

New album coming out from Every Time I Die.. Pretty sweet film clip to go along with the first single..
    This film clip is how I imagine life would be like if you got SD and Hamma to live together.. Just rockin' out, turpsing on and lovin' life..

Last edited by Bon; 21-05-2014 at 02:52 PM.

Loving the new album from The Beards. Stroking my Beard is the highlight for me. First heard it as part of the World Beard Day concert and it is quite excellent.

One of my all-time favourite videos.

I know it's so gimmicky but they are actually pretty decent musos as well. And they sound excellent live as well.