Page 3 of 96 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

As far as musicians go there is Jascha Heifetz and then daylight.

I cannot think of anyone else in the history of music that has been so dominant with respect to technique - regardless of their chosen instrument.

He makes Eddie Van Halen look like barney the Dinosaur.

@q - have you ever dropped the weather report into one of your mixes?
    OK

also @parksey - sorry i no music genius.
    OK

Wow.. There is too much that has been said since I last logged on, and too little time to respond to it all!!! Brilliant innit..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    being the first to take the piss out of bass players i'll defend you here, Bass when played correctly is as integral, if not the most essential instrument within a band. Just look at the alt rock scene of the 90's and any modern alt rock and you'll see plenty of examples that show the bass to be as rockin' as any other instrument. Particularly in funk and ska
    Definitely mate.. Bass is always very overlooked..

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Les Claypool is probably the most amazing musician I've ever seen live.
    Les is a god.. Simple as that. Where did you see him play Plague?? I finally got to see him down at the Enmore last year, the bloke is an absolute freak.. For anyone out there that hasnt listened to Primus before, go and check it out..

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    @q - have you ever dropped the weather report into one of your mixes?
    Thanks, Howard TJ Moon.. Time for a bit of a slap bass odyssey?..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Thanks, Howard TJ Moon.. Time for a bit of a slap bass odyssey?..
    they call me monsoon moon - i'm coming at ya like a beam, like a ray, like a buzzard

OK

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Les is a god.. Simple as that. Where did you see him play Plague?? I finally got to see him down at the Enmore last year, the bloke is an absolute freak.
    Saw Primus at the BDO way back in the day. Think it was the 3rd or 4th one. Had never really heard of them but back in those days going to the BDO was about seeing new bands. Bands like Helmet, Rocket from the Crypt etc were pretty cool 'discoveries' that I had never really heard of before seeing them live. I think Soundgarden was on main stage and Primus were in the Hordern at the same time. Thought id give them a go and man was I blown away. Cant say im a huge follower of their music but that gig was sooooooo rockin.
    Saw them a few years later at some concert at Eastern Creek (alternative nation or something?) and they were great as well but nothing will compare with how amazing that first show was. Im a bit of a music head and appreciate people that are talented regardless of whether Im a fan of their music or not.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Saw Primus at the BDO way back in the day. Think it was the 3rd or 4th one. Had never really heard of them but back in those days going to the BDO was about seeing new bands. Bands like Helmet, Rocket from the Crypt etc were pretty cool 'discoveries' that I had never really heard of before seeing them live. I think Soundgarden was on main stage and Primus were in the Hordern at the same time. Thought id give them a go and man was I blown away. Cant say im a huge follower of their music but that gig was sooooooo rockin.
    Saw them a few years later at some concert at Eastern Creek (alternative nation or something?) and they were great as well but nothing will compare with how amazing that first show was. Im a bit of a music head and appreciate people that are talented regardless of whether Im a fan of their music or not.
    Yeah I am a bit the same.. I can listen to music that I may not actually like BUT I can respect it for how technically hard it is to play..

As for seeing Primus back in the day, I am soooo jealous.. I remember when they played an Over 18s show at Newy Uni, a week before I turned 18. A bunch of my mates scaled the wall and got in, but I'm a little bit harder to hide in a crowd.. Real dirty that I missed it..

I'm starting to get pretty excited about seeing The Tea Party down at the Hordern next weekend.. I've been listening to them since about '95 and missed them every time they have been out..
    Poor form on my part..

Just read that the 90's supergroup Mad Season will be reforming..
    Obviously Layne Staley (my hero) won't be a part of it, he is replaced by Screaming Trees singer Mark Lannegan..
    It won't be the same without Layne, but I couldn't think of a better person to be trying to fill his shoes..

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    What's the point of doing it without Layne?

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    What's the point of doing it without Layne?
    This is true.. Pretty sure they are writing new material, still wont be the same..

Worked for Alice In Chains....... kinda
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Worked for Alice In Chains....... kinda
    I think it's a bit different though, as Cantrell was always the key member of that band. Mad Season was pretty much a bunch of friends making an album on the side.

been listening to municipal waste - the fatal feast

100% of songs about boozing, toxic mutants, nuclear monsters or thrash metal (y)

Just picked up 2 tragically Hip albums from the Salvos whilst looking for secondhand clobber, $4 for the pair. not a bad find if you're into Canadian Alt rock.

Someone should really get a Not Kits thread going again. I've lost touch with what obscure things I should keep an eye out for.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    been listening to municipal waste - the fatal feast

100% of songs about boozing, toxic mutants, nuclear monsters or thrash metal (y)
    Holy shit.. Q... I did NOT expect you to be listening to Municipal Waste.. They are awesome!!!
    Just unreal Turps Thrash..

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    not a bad find if you're into Canadian Alt rock.
    I didn't know this was a genre.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    I didn't know this was a genre.
    i think it was created to accomodate the bare naked ladies in the music world.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    i think it was created to accomodate the bare naked ladies in the music world.
    Them, Real Big Sea, Alanis Morisette and the Cowboy Junkies. Avril Lavigne tried to tag herself as Alt Canadian but she got told to piss of to the mainstream pop genres.

Mad jam

Soundwave >>>>>>>>>>>. Big Day Out