Page 37 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Musically, I think they are amazing.. So tight and technical.. Absolutely loved their first album, Kezia..
    It took me a while to get used to the vocals.. The bloke can sing, but it can reach the borderline of whiney/emo at times..
    They are a band that I have had on my list of "must see at least once" but never had the opportunity..

This is an oldie (2005) but I kinda feel this song gives a good example of their musical versatility and technical abilities, its got a bit of everything going on (and an interesting clip too)..
    In all honesty, I haven't listened to much of their new stuff..

Also, I've got a rager for the Spector bass that is being used..
    Reminds me a little bit of Coheed and Cambria on vocals at times.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Not having a crack at your individually, but this is a common theme I see from the generation that thinks triple j has "gone to shit".

Triple J plays a lot of rock and guitar music, especially from young Australian bands. They are still huge on new and independent music. But the reality is rock is not the dominant force it used to be in youth culture right now.

Electronic music and hip hop are getting more popular every day and quite frankly the quality of music coming from those genres is consistently higher than the rock scene at the moment. I can't think of many rock bands that have come out in the last decade that have captured the world the way a Radiohead or U2 have in yesteryear.

The j's first priority is to stay relevant musically and cater for what young people want.
    Yeah I don't disagree with anything you've said. And like I said I don't mind the mix that's there currently. Tash Sultana, D.D. Dumbo, Harts are just a few guitar based artists that have come up in the last year through the station.

But yeah rock is definitely not as big as it used to be. Read an article a couple days ago analysing the claims that Triple J is more "mainstream" than it used to be

https://www.theguardian.com/music/da...ore-mainstream

which pretty much proved its not. What it did show is that the more mainstream music it was playing 10-15 years ago was a lot of rock stuff, your Powderfinger, RHCP, Green Day etc where now its as you said, the "Urban" music, electronic etc

It's funny being 50 plus now - many friends move onto "middle of the road" stuff and for some reason think Bon Jovi is the greatest heavy metal band of all time or love things like Michael Buble - ffs. The ballsiness of watching Thorpe, Slade, Purple, Sabbath, Quo, Hush et al is forgotten as people chuck out their LPs.

Like Dunster, I don't think anything matches the thrill of loud, guitar/bass/drums rock. Not just your ultra heavy, but any of the great hard rock bands live, at full volume, is a thrilling experience.

I was thinking the other day, the problem I have with electronic music is its "moderness".....the sound from "You Really Got Me" and "Satisfaction", for example, was achieved by slicing speakers with razor blades - inventive thinking. Then the complexities of tape loops for "Strawberry Fields" or "I'm Not In Love". These are things that can be done electronically in a home studio now. I used to have to drive down to Sydney to use equipment to cut and splice tape!

Of course my thoughts are clouded by life experience - modern music is for now and the youth have different tastes.

Hope I die before I get old.......

All music 'trends' are just a cycle anyway.

Late 90's was when erryone was like "BHUH TOO MUCH DANCE MUSIC DANCE MUSIC IS NOT REAL MUSIC BHUH".

So the pushback in the early 2000's became Limp Bizkit and Coldplay.

Be careful what you wish for.

how is it that you can find 3 million people that say they were at the guns and roses concert at eastern creek in 1993, but you can't find one person that was at the big day out when limp bizkit played and there was clearly 100,000 blokes there

i was

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    how is it that you can find 3 million people that say they were at the guns and roses concert at eastern creek in 1993, but you can't find one person that was at the big day out when limp bizkit played and there was clearly 100,000 blokes there

i was
    Me too.

Actually 2 things I remember apart from Limp Bizkit (because LSD) were Killing Heidi having backup dancers on stage which was the wackest thing I'd ever seen, then Coldplay being really good.

What the **** was going on in my life back then?
    Last edited by plague; 02-02-2017 at 03:08 PM.

It's just as simple as they are catering to the needs of their target demographic (15-30).
    My old man tunes into 2HD because they play music he grew up with. Other "middle aged" stations like NEWFM ("Old and new hits!") and Triple M ("for the blokes") cater specifically for their audiences.
    2Day FM etc all contribute funding to the Justin Bieber, One Direction, Adelle concerts and headlining acts that come to our shores and accommodate the screaming girls.

Triple J focusses on the 15-30 age bracket and provides a myriad of different genres of music (especially if you listen after 9pm). The 15-30 bracket has a large expendable income (no mortgage, no kids, new to employment etc) and provides festivals to take advantage of this. Big Day Out was the first "festival" i went to and it's focus was rock on the main stages, dance in the "boiler room" and indie/triple j bands on the smaller stages. That's what the people wanted. Now, the musical tastes have somewhat shifted. Every 2nd person is a DJ, or hipster/indie. And this is what the station caters for. If it remains the same and aims to serve the 15-30 target audience now, and continue to please them as they grow older (by playing the same music) they will gradually lose the younger listeners as a new musical focus/phase is introduced.
    The rock category is still reasonably well represented, though slightly different to what most are used to. Now Violent Soho, Modern Baseball, Amity Affliction, Parkway Drive, Catfish and the Bottlemen are the modern day rock'n'roll.

Given the increasing popularity of the station, amongst the 15-30 year olds, "mainstream" radio media 2day FM, Nova, NXFM etc see what is most popular on triple J and give it a play on their own. Triple J still uncovers bands and music that is different. It's listeners respond so positively, it makes other stations take notice and play what is popular. Thus "pop" music.

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    I was at the BDO on that day but I was in the boiler room

Carl Cox was doing the set that continued after the main stage ended and the hoards of bog shitcunce flooded in

religious people might be able to help with the analogy but it felt like that bit of the bible where the mongols smash their way into the garden of eden and wreck up the place

2JJ opened up in 1975 playing Skyhooks. That's essential a mainstream band who's main following was teenage girls between 13 and 16.

The rest of us in 1975 were listening to the greatest album Led Zeppelin would ever make, and dropping microdots while we ****ed about with the pop up album cover.

Hence, I think playing Australian more so than offring alternative music was and still is what JJJ is all about

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    2JJ opened up in 1975 playing Skyhooks. That's essential a mainstream band who's main following was teenage girls between 13 and 16.

The rest of us in 1975 were listening to the greatest album Led Zeppelin would ever make, and dropping microdots while we ****ed about with the pop up album cover.

Hence, I think playing Australian more so than offring alternative music was and still is what JJJ is all about
    Remember the first song played was "banned" from commercial radio "You Just Like Me Cos I'm Good In Bed"....2JJ was about being controversial and different to commercial. They also played Skyhooks tracks "Smut" which was about jerking off into a bag of Twisties, and "Why Doncha All Get F****d - as the man says, "far out!". The bands then all had naughty songs that couldn't be played on good old 2NX and 2KO - Hush had "Get Rocked" which the kids changed of course and Ted Mulry Gang had "Dinah" which was about a girl spreading her legs. These are songs that were banned at the time!

Last edited by Jetmaster; 02-02-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    Remember the first song played was "banned" from commercial radio "You Just Like Me Cos I'm Good In Bed"....2JJ was about being controversial and different to commercial. They also played Skyhooks tracks "Smut" which was about jerking off into a bag of Twisties, and "Why Doncha All Get F****d - as the man says, "far out!". The bands then all had naughty songs that couldn't be played on good old 2NX and 2KO - Hush had "Get Rocked" which the kids changed of course and Ted Mulry Gang had "Dinah" which was about a girl spreading her legs. These are songs that were banned at the time!
    i mean you old guys are talking a complete different language at the moment.

(oh and don't get me wrong im loving the history lesson but man oh man, you guys are old)
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

They still do promote Australian music. Way way more than any other station and have implemented a lot of initiatives to help further develop Aus music.
    And they still do play a lot of music that is otherwise censored/not played on mainstream stations.
    Idk that they have changed, but the music has.

Then there was Oils on the Water for their 10th anniversary

I used to go see the Oils at War and Peace in Parramatta in the late 70's - they were brilliant back then - It was more surf music than it was a political at that stage - but it kicked arse.

The first Album is still great even 39 years later. Can't believe it was so long ago now.

The first Oils song I ever heard and still my favourite.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 03-02-2017 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    i mean you old guys are talking a complete different language at the moment.

(oh and don't get me wrong im loving the history lesson but man oh man, you guys are old)
    As long as Mick and Keef are alive I can never feel old - they were gigging before I was born.

George Harrison once said that the music you listen to between 13-25 years old shapes your life and I agree - once you get to my age you have such a huge collection you don't need to listen to new stuff!

As long as Mick and Keef are alive I can never feel old - they were gigging before I was born.

George Harrison once said that the music you listen to between 13-25 years old shapes your life and I agree - once you get to my age you have such a huge collection you don't need to listen to new stuff!
    Smashing Pumpkins is about the newest band I'm into and they started nearly 30 years ago [I only got on board when Parksey recommended them to me a few years back].
    Apart from that I'm probably too old and out of touch to listen to the new stuff out today, or I simply don't have enough time for what I already own to look for something new to listen to.
    I like a few songs from the past 20 years or so - but usually it's because they remind me of something I listened to 40 years ago or more.
    There's probably more great music out there today than in any other time in history. It was just easier to find it when I was a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post

i was
    I was at the one with the Ramones, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden....it was ****ing awesome. Also saw Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden back to back nights at Selinas....ah the good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Smashing Pumpkins is about the newest band I'm into and they started nearly 30 years ago [I only got on board when Parksey recommended them to me a few years back].
    Apart from that I'm probably too old and out of touch to listen to the new stuff out today, or I simply don't have enough time for what I already own to look for something new to listen to.
    I like a few songs from the past 20 years or so - but usually it's because they remind me of something I listened to 40 years ago or more.
    There's probably more great music out there today than in any other time in history. It was just easier to find it when I was a teenager.
    Very true mate....I like Green Day, but they do Who and Kinks covers. And they are in ths over 40 bracket now.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    mon the pumpkins
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    I was at the one with the Ramones, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden....it was ****ing awesome. Also saw Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden back to back nights at Selinas....ah the good old days.
    Ah Selinas. Battle of the bands where screaming Jatz won. rof. $10 schooners in the 80's