Page 43 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I've got the vinyl being sent out..
    I know you're a muso Bon but I wasn't expecting the vinyl.

On that note I've got a few of Enter Shikari records and I wanna hear what they sound on something more than a $80 player.

Bon, your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Bon, your thoughts?
    I haven't got it yet!! hahaha..
    I just received a text saying I've got a parcel waiting for me when I get home, so I'm assuming that will be it.. Will give my thoughts on it tomorrow hopefully..
    Was literally just watching the "Making Of part 8" just then.. Interesting hearing the insight into the lyrics, story and combining it with the artwork.. So much thought goes in to it all, not just pumped out..

What are you thinking about it, now that you have had the weekend to spin it more?

Quote Originally Posted by NUGUNS View Post
    I know you're a muso Bon but I wasn't expecting the vinyl.

On that note I've got a few of Enter Shikari records and I wanna hear what they sound on something more than a $80 player.
    How did I miss this?

Yeah mate, I've been collecting for a little while, want to get a decent player too..
    Actually, Dunster sent me a link of his sound system but I don't have the $7k+ that I assume he dropped on it.. haha

You didn't even get a digital download copy? That's farked.

And I finally got a chance to belt it out on decent speakers yesterday. It is good. Very good.

You didn't even get a digital download copy? That's farked.

And I finally got a chance to belt it out on decent speakers yesterday. It is good. Very good.
    I believe the code for the digital copy comes on a little slip inside the vinyl.. haha
    In the past, I've gotten an email for it too, but it seems I haven't this time. (Unless its gone straight to junk with all the erectile dysfunction and nigerian lottery emails? )

http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/32985

I wouldn't be spending much on equipment to play Enter Shikari Records if the digital versions are anything to go by. You wouldn't pick the difference between a $80 and $8,000 turntable.
    It's all recorded with budget systems in mind - which is a good thing. Play em how they are supposed to be played LOUD!!!!!!!!

If on the other hand you like Prince then the more you spend the better it gets - The original vinyl and first issue CD's of his catalogue have unbelievable sound quality. I don't think any other artist gets close when it comes to the sound quality of their vinyl or CD's.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 03-04-2017 at 05:53 PM.

^^^

What artist was trying to bring in some lossless audio format recently? I wanna say Tom Petty, but I'm pretty sure that's way off the mark

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    ^^^

What artist was trying to bring in some lossless audio format recently? I wanna say Tom Petty, but I'm pretty sure that's way off the mark
    You are probably thinking of MQA [Master Quality Authenticated] - Which is a subsiduary so to speak of MLP [ Meridan Lossless Packing]. Daft Punk I think have been involved with the format - but I can't recall many others.
    I don't think people really care to be honest as better formats already exist such as DSD128, DSD256, and DSD512 which are awesome but costs for both players and the recordings is not within reach of most people - and pointless as well given how good even RBCD can sound when done correctly.

And that's just it - the reason CD is failing these days is that the Engineers are either crap or they are being forced to compress and brickwall everything to the point where bit rates and resolution simply aren't enough anymore to make them sound good. People simply go to iTunes and so on now because the advantages of CD have been removed and younger folk really have no idea just how good CD can sound - most haven't even seen an actual CD player [ Certainly not many under 35 years old any way.

I have a DSD player at home and it's very nice and all but most people [99.9%] can't differentiate it from a well recorded Redbook CD. Unfortunately, well recorded red book cd's are getting very hard to find now days.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-04-2017 at 12:05 AM.

I read with interest the difference between mp3 which is heavily compressed by cutting out bits that are almost inaudible, and lossless audio, which is like a .zip file on a computer.

Compressed to reduce space taken up, and decompresses on the fly when played, without sacrificing any of the tracks.

Pretty interesting stuff, and something I hadn't given much thought to.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I read with interest the difference between mp3 which is heavily compressed by cutting out bits that are almost inaudible, and lossless audio, which is like a .zip file on a computer.

Compressed to reduce space taken up, and decompresses on the fly when played, without sacrificing any of the tracks.

Pretty interesting stuff, and something I hadn't given much thought to.
    Yes - some very clever algorithms and the more powerful / smarter computers become the better it's going to get.
    I remember when MP3 started in 1993 the fastest processors we had at home were the 486 DX2/66 which only ran on a 33mhz bus. It took forever to encode files and playback was stressful on gear as well. Clicks and pops were pretty much the norm. I have to admit though, I was an early adopter of the technology in beta form using command line based programs in linux and dos - but I never thought it would get as big as it is now.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 04-04-2017 at 12:26 PM.

I believe the code for the digital copy comes on a little slip inside the vinyl.. haha
    In the past, I've gotten an email for it too, but it seems I haven't this time. (Unless its gone straight to junk with all the erectile dysfunction and nigerian lottery emails? )
    Well? Did Australia Post deliver or was it your annual supply of canned gypo tuna?

Well? Did Australia Post deliver or was it your annual supply of canned gypo tuna?
    Nah, I usually just get pv4 to fish the cans of tuna out of skip-bins with his mate Hutcho..

No code for digital download in the vinyl. Blew up.
    Was about to email the record company then, and find out its been sent to my email at 3am this morning.. Downloading now! (Assuming my work computer will allow me)

Ok, just had my first full listen through it..
    My first impression is that its pretty damn awesome! Not ridiculously outstanding (yet), but Mastodon albums are always growers..
    Loving the bass sound on it, very prevalent.. There feels like there are a lot more vocals going on (as in, not as many instrumental parts as in previous albums), which isn't necessarily a bad thing..
    Some of the riffs are tough as, others are a drug-fueled walk in the cosmos, I love how diverse and what a broad range of styles they can cover..

Going to give it some more listens throughout the day, have some decent Sennheiser headphones so will turn it up real loud and try to get every nuance (while scowling, so that people in the office rightfully assume that I'm busy)..

My first impression is that its pretty damn awesome! Not ridiculously outstanding (yet), but Mastodon albums are always growers..
    Loving the bass sound on it, very prevalent.. There feels like there are a lot more vocals going on (as in, not as many instrumental parts as in previous albums), which isn't necessarily a bad thing..
    Some of the riffs are tough as, others are a drug-fueled walk in the cosmos, I love how diverse and what a broad range of styles they can cover..

Going to give it some more listens throughout the day, have some decent Sennheiser headphones so will turn it up real loud and try to get every nuance (while scowling, so that people in the office rightfully assume that I'm busy)..
    Is the album Emperor of the Sand ? From what I can tell from scans it's clock radio quality in digital form. http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/125934

Mastadon albums on vinyl though appear to have a lot more care taken with them and sound a lot better. Not because vinyl is better but because they have purposely crippled the digital versions in an effort to sell more vinyl. In fact the vinyl has around double the headroom / dynamics of the digital versions - which is insane given that CD's main advantage over vinyl is headroom / dynamic range.

Your vinyl version should have a lot more open sound where as the digital will sound flat and lifeless - but very loud. Acceptable on an iPod but not so great when you get it onto the home system.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 05-04-2017 at 02:03 PM.

My bro finally left for work so I've set it up on repeat in the lounge room, filling the house with Mastodony goodness.

Tickets for Grinspoon (playing Guide To Better Living in its entirety) at the Cambo just went on sale..
    August 31. Get on it..

Here you go, Bon... some more metal to have for breakfast.

Here you go, Bon... some more metal to have for breakfast.

Holy shit.. That was awesome! hahaha..

Tickets just went on sale on Ticketek for The Dillinger Escape Plan's final tour of Australia..
    Playing the Metro in Sydney on Oct 21.. Just purchased mine.

Easily the most insane and energetic live show that I've ever seen..