Page 45 of 96 FirstFirst ... 3543444546475595 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    What about some Fleetwood Mac, Dunster... Rumours?
    Cracker of an album. Over 50 million would say thriller. Probably closed to 100 million but can't be bothered looking up the latest sales figures

Bee Gees are another proper pop group.
    ABBA too.

Actually ABBA has to be right up there yeah?

Yep. Ticks all the boxes of being consistent, accessible, and it's definitely stood the test of time as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-04-2017 at 04:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    ABBA too.

Yes if you include compilations. No if you only include albums - because their albums contain a lot of filler - most of which even their biggest fans skip.

ABBA's best effort is a greatest hits compilation. Best of Abba or Abba Gold
    Bee Gees best effort is a Movie Sound track compilation. Saturday Night Fever Soundtrack
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-04-2017 at 04:42 PM.

Thought of another one. Only question is whether or not is accessible ? I'm too much of a fan to be unbiased.

Elvis Costello - This Years Model.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Good call on Carole King, I grew up on that album.

Also I think you're underestimating the accessibility of an album like Pet Sounds. It may have been a bit weird back then, but it's not now and a lot of the songs play like straight pop tunes.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    pretty hard to say it's not an MJ album though. literally every album has one or two songs someone doesn't like/thinks is filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

ABBA too.

No

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Also I think you're underestimating the accessibility of an album like Pet Sounds. It may have been a bit weird back then, but it's not now and a lot of the songs play like straight pop tunes.
    Yes I think you are right. It was a bit too much for people when it came out - but the multilayered sound of it is pretty much the norm now.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Thought of another one. Only question is whether or not is accessible ? I'm too much of a fan to be unbiased.

Elvis Costello - This Years Model.
    Yeah look I'll never knock anyone's talents but this dude doesn't deserve to be anywhere near the others that have been mentioned.

Also, is Elvis now considered 'pop' music?

Because at the time it wasn't it considered a bit weird?

I have no idea what or who Elvis was back then, but obviously now he's as mainstream as it comes.

Also, is Elvis now considered 'pop' music?

Because at the time it wasn't it considered a bit weird?

I have no idea what or who Elvis was back then, but obviously now he's as mainstream as it comes.
    Elvis is Rock n Roll - and Rock and Roll was dead and buried before 1960.

He never really made an album in the form we are talking about here either - his so called albums were pretty much all compilations or covers based.

it's not until 1964 that a band or artist actually released an album of all original material that had mass appeal [The Beatles - A Hard Day's Night]

The Joshua Tree

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    The Joshua Tree
    The quality of the songs diminishes rapidly after track 3. Which is why a lot of people consider it the most front loaded album of all time.

It sold a shit load of copies though - more than 25 million so maybe I'm just biased against it. I'd rate Achtung Baby as a massive upgrade.

I'd def never put U2 as 'pop' music. But that's my definition.

Very hard defining "pop" - I now realise most of my collection "isn't"!

The new Sgt Pepper mixes later this month will be interesting. The greatest pop music was during the 60's but it was a singles market and albums were just singles collections plus filler.

In the 70's the biggest bands in pop music - Slade, Sweet, T-Rex, Skyhooks, Sherbet et al don't really sound like "pop" now, though they were considered that at the time.

I'd give a guernsey to Abba's "Arrival" - very classy LP that one and I still have it.

80's/90's is pop heaven due to the onset of video - not much since 2000 strikes me as pop though in terms of albums, seems to be singles driven again.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    I saw them quite a few years back in London (2004 I think). At the time I wasn't a massive fan but my bro got me tickets. It was easily the most mesmerising live show I have ever seen, I stood awestruck for 2 hours and didn't move. It was a sweet show, they played with Arch Enemy and Ephel Duath (interesting Italian metal).Oh ,and the Haunted.

Same trip I saw the In Flames show at Hammersmith that they ended up chucking out on DVD.

and Madball at the basement of some pub.

They were good times.
    Mate, some massive shows there!!! Especially seeing them in London!
    Dillinger just go batshit on stage, admittedly at the expense of their sound, but if you want to hear it perfect then stay home and listen to the album.. haha
    To see them playing with Arch Enemy, Ephel Duath AND the Haunted.. Fvck!!! What a lineup! I've seen the Haunted a couple of times (I still think Dolving was their best singer, crazysnake bloke, but great vocalist) and my old band got to play at an Arch Enemy after party show in Sydney for the band members (however Angela the saucy minx didn't show up! haha)
    I've seen In Flames lives once, but it was at a festival and I'd like to have seen them at a smaller more intimate show..

As for Madball in a basement style pub, that would have been insane! I saw them in Sydney with two of my fave NYHC bands, Vision Of Disorder and Sick Of It All..

I'd def never put U2 as 'pop' music. But that's my definition.
    Agreed.

As for the whole pop conversation, its probably the genre I know least about or have minimal to do with, but I'd have to say my mind would automatically go towards MJ..
    Pretty sure you have all summed it up quite well and I've got nothing to add..