Page 50 of 96 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Finally got around to setting up my old 5.1 speakers after PC build arrived. **** I forgot how good music was on something other than a TV or set of headphones.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Finally got around to setting up my old 5.1 speakers after PC build arrived. **** I forgot how good music was on something other than a TV or set of headphones.
    Is it one of the old Logitech 5.1 systems ? The old ones were pretty awesome for music and not all that expensive either.

Just finished refurbishing an old set of floor speakers. Bought a Kenwood system off Brian Bambach in Hunter Street for $600 back in 1981 (a tidy sum back then).

Turntable and amp still going strong.

Dragged the speakers in from the garage a couple of months ago - a reconing kit, new cloth and some classy contact paper to have them match the current decor and have put them next to my second TV. Played an LP through them and the sound was so gobsmackingly good compared to the compressed gunk I have been hearing through the soundbar in the main room.

Brought a tear to the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    I actually quite like listening to music through my headphones. Audiophiles would probably pick them apart but they go alright for me - set of Audio Technica AD700s

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Is it one of the old Logitech 5.1 systems ? The old ones were pretty awesome for music and not all that expensive either.
    Sure are. Would have set me back about $80 at an EB Games sale 10 years ago when I bought my first PC.

And Macca, I rate my headphones as well for listening but the neighbours get a bit perturbed when I am wailing out some vocals and there's no music to cover it up.

How did you go at Dillinger Escape Plan on Wednesday, Monkey???
    I kept an eye out for you, but didn't see you getting about..
    You going down tomorrow too?

Starting to think The Killers have overtaken Oasis as the band that has the most ‘white dude drunken singalong songs’.

Don’t mind the new stuff.
    Bit different.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Starting to think The Killers have overtaken Oasis as the band that has the most ‘white dude drunken singalong songs’.

Don’t mind the new stuff.
    Bit different.
    New album not as good as Sams Town but still better than the last couple they've put out. Haven't seen them live since 2007 so looking forward to catching them again in April.

Not easy for a band to put out good material once their ships come in so to speak. The money, fame, and chicks pretty much make them forget where they came from in the first place. There are exceptions but it's rare.

Rolling Stones are probably the only band I can think of that had between eight and ten top quality full album releases back to back - Seven of those would easily make any top 200 albums of all time list. But by 1973 it was pretty much all downhill for them quality wise.

Led Zeppelin had probably six top notch full albums in a row - But after Physical Graffiti they pretty much went to shit. . Apart from those two difficult to find anyone else - maybe the beatles - but their stuff is patchy in terms of full albums.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    New album not as good as Sams Town but still better than the last couple they've put out. Haven't seen them live since 2007 so looking forward to catching them again in April.
    Hot Fuss had (in a row mind) Mr Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me and All These Things That I’ve Done.

I mean most bands would kill to have the success of one of those songs yet here they all were and (like a lot of people) it’s still not considered their best album.

Hot Fuss had (in a row mind) Mr Brightside, Smile Like You Mean It, Somebody Told Me and All These Things That I’ve Done.

I mean most bands would kill to have the success of one of those songs yet here they all were and (like a lot of people) it’s still not considered their best album.
    They sound like a less depressed version of The Smiths - only nowhere near as talented.

Album wise there albums are ok but too much filler to be taken seriously - much better off buying the singles on itunes than forking out for a full album.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-10-2017 at 04:24 PM.

Apart from those two difficult to find anyone else - maybe the beatles - but their stuff is patchy in terms of full albums.
    I'm biased... but I'll put Queen out there.

Between Sheer Heart Attack being released in 1974 and The Works in 1984 they put out 7 fantastic albums. Only Hot Space where they tried to go disco was average during that time frame. (Flash Gordon was a soundtrack so wouldn't count that).

@1:06 I get a shot away listening to that $2million guitar cut loose. Guitar now belongs to Kirk Hammet of Metalica fame - but he can't make it sing like Green could.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 25-10-2017 at 04:36 PM.

I'd take Hot Fuss over Sam's Town any day. Off the second, I only really know of When You Were Young and Read My Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by evolution View Post
    I'm biased... but I'll put Queen out there.

Between Sheer Heart Attack being released in 1974 and The Works in 1984 they put out 7 fantastic albums. Only Hot Space where they tried to go disco was average during that time frame. (Flash Gordon was a soundtrack so wouldn't count that).
    I've seen Queen live with Freddie Mercury at their best and they were fabulous. But the records have a lot of filler on them, and are very tough going for a lot of people.

If I had to pick a Queen Album - A Day at the Races - just for the opening track. My favourite queen song and the bands as well - Tie Your Mother Down.

Last edited by The Dunster; 25-10-2017 at 05:41 PM.

They sound like a less depressed version of The Smiths - only nowhere near as talented.
    This is the hottest of hot hot takes and I award you many old people points.
    May the teenagers get off your lawn and keep the noise down for eternity.

Now you guys are debating opinions, which is futile.

I’m talking something else you can actually measure, like the number of drunk white people singing along to a particular band.

For sheer volume of songs I may still have Queen in front (thx for reminding me) then prob Oasis at #2 just in front of the Killers.

Expand.

This is the hottest of hot hot takes and I award you many old people points.
    May the teenagers get off your lawn and keep the noise down for eternity.

Now you guys are debating opinions, which is futile.

I’m talking something else you can actually measure, like the number of drunk white people singing along to a particular band.

For sheer volume of songs I may still have Queen in front (thx for reminding me) then prob Oasis at #2 just in front of the Killers.

Expand.
    There's no debate.

Most of these songs don't have a bridge - and when they do it's pretty dire. It's all just five seconds of verse then the singer shoots his load - and it's over.

Then you have the Phil Spector influence / wall of sound which makes pretty much all these bands sound the same.

Basically, it's all too safe.

There is probably more great music today than at anytime in history - it's just not promoted as well by the Harvard MBA scum selling this stuff.

A lot of that left of field stuff Bon puts up for example is brilliant.

Just as an aside, bands have all their combined years of life experiences to draw from culminating in their first mainstream success in album form.

Then, the labels sign them to deals which for the most part reward quantity over substance.

Sophomore slump is a real thing for most acts, and it can take some time to get out of that funk.

Band of Horses is one of my faves, but Mirage Rock was putrid (4th release)

There's no debate.

Most of these songs don't have a bridge - and when they do it's pretty dire. It's all just five seconds of verse then the singer shoots his load - and it's over.

Then you have the Phil Spector influence / wall of sound which makes pretty much all these bands sound the same.

Basically, it's all too safe.

There is probably more great music today than at anytime in history - it's just not promoted as well by the Harvard MBA scum selling this stuff.

A lot of that left of field stuff Bon puts up for example is brilliant.
    you said 'its no debate' then went on to state a case.

you been hanging out with the Member too long.

there is only one absolute in life and that is that Griff.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

you said 'its no debate' then went on to state a case.

you been hanging out with the Member too long.

there is only one absolute in life and that is that Griff.
    You think I'm stating a preference - but I'm not.

I can't come to grips with a lot of the Scando heavy metal stuff - but totally recognise it as innovative and progressive.

The shit I'm ripping into is derivative.