Page 52 of 96 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    ah the whingeyards. Overpriced everything
    to be fair theres a couple decent golf courses up there though
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    gimme a sweaty throbbing hunter on hunter anyday.
    That takes me back, seen and played in some cracking gigs in that place.

Shihad at 48 Watt Street has me a bit excited.

Download Festival Line up looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Download Festival Line up looks good
    Not a bad first announcement.. They would want to add a few more decent bands though..
    So far I'd only be there for Mastodon, Gojira, Suicidal (Beeeeen is already chubbing up over them coming out), Arch Enemy and Croppers..
    Oh, and I'd be keen to see Korn again, if only to just hope that they play something/anything from their first two (and the only good) albums..

the money used on a band like limp bizkit could've been used so much more smartly i'd imagine on someone of equal size and of much higher musical quality

I think the line-up is really missing that one big band, korn don't really have that feeling to em, like download in the u.k got ozzy as their headliner, that feels big and worth something, even a soad woulda worked as that bigger band

Of course Good Charlotte and Fred Durst deserve to be on the same bill.

Geez Louise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Not a bad first announcement.. They would want to add a few more decent bands though..
    So far I'd only be there for Mastodon, Gojira, Suicidal (Beeeeen is already chubbing up over them coming out), Arch Enemy and Croppers..
    Oh, and I'd be keen to see Korn again, if only to just hope that they play something/anything from their first two (and the only good) albums..

Pretty sure this is the only band announcement and their not gonna go all out on a test run. If Aussie music lovers keep being whining ****s and saying the line up is crap and im not going then it will crash and burn and its bye bye festivals down under
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Pretty sure this is the only band announcement and their not gonna go all out on a test run. If Aussie music lovers keep being whining ****s and saying the line up is crap and im not going then it will crash and burn and its bye bye festivals down under
    issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat.

Whereas metal doesn't have that, no one in metal is tryin to be cool so there's not that pressure to go. Also, even though there are people who are fans of particular DJ's, there doesn't need to be that same attachment to the artist to enjoy a DJ as there is to enjoy a band. Fans of the genres represented at download are always gonna have a whinge cause there's more requirements put on these festivals then your typical festival aimed at fresh 18 year old.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark325 View Post
    issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat..
    probs 50/50 with festivals being victim from teenage culture as its easy and devastating to lose a peer group at school if you dont join in. man i would have gone to any concert to fit in.

not long after uni sorted all that rubbish out. ive gone to melb pubs to watch a band just to avoid the vineyards

issue is metal/rock/punk fans are way more fickle then your average punter, people will go to a festival like this that because it's the thing to do. It's the same with groovin the moo, yea it's a decent festival that pulls a few good acts, good enough to sell out in half hour and have people re-selling them for triple their value, and people actually buyin them, definitely no. But, kids still do it cause ya don't wanna be the boring ass kid stuck at home durin groovin while all ya mates chuck up photos on the gram and spam snapchat.

Whereas metal doesn't have that, no one in metal is tryin to be cool so there's not that pressure to go. Also, even though there are people who are fans of particular DJ's, there doesn't need to be that same attachment to the artist to enjoy a DJ as there is to enjoy a band. Fans of the genres represented at download are always gonna have a whinge cause there's more requirements put on these festivals then your typical festival aimed at fresh 18 year old.
    Yeah, well said man..
    Although, there are plenty of people in metal trying to be cool.. A lot of elitists "this band is better than your band", "i saw them years before you even heard of them" etc.. More for the metal cred I guess, than for an insta selfie or fomo..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Yeah, well said man..
    Although, there are plenty of people in metal trying to be cool.. A lot of elitists "this band is better than your band", "i saw them years before you even heard of them" etc.. More for the metal cred I guess, than for an insta selfie or fomo..
    yea its a different level of cool, it's more i listen to deafhaven and you listen to slipknot type elitism, not in the way that kids need to be cool and go to the festival and also buy a festival outfit that they'll wear that one time

I think a lot less people would be whinging if you replaced durst and good charlotte with a bigger and more respectable headliner. Like lets say instead of them two they grabbed ozzy or ax7, woulda been an instantly bigger hit. I'd argue you coulda got rid of prophets of rage as well for a judas priest or a perfect circle and it woulda been wayyy better recieved

yea its a different level of cool, it's more i listen to deafhaven and you listen to slipknot type elitism, not in the way that kids need to be cool and go to the festival and also buy a festival outfit that they'll wear that one time

I think a lot less people would be whinging if you replaced durst and good charlotte with a bigger and more respectable headliner. Like lets say instead of them two they grabbed ozzy or ax7, woulda been an instantly bigger hit. I'd argue you coulda got rid of prophets of rage as well for a judas priest or a perfect circle and it woulda been wayyy better recieved
    Good Charlotte are big and are good live but because their not "Metal" They dont belong on this festival. Green day and Blink 182 are from a similar genre and headlined Soundwave and got a bigger crowd and reception then most of the metal bands to ever play the festival. So don't write them off as less respectable.

love at first sight

It's unfortunate that the youngsters these days don't really get to see live music like we did in the 70's to 80's - unless they fork out a shit load of dollars. Even then they often have to contend with big crowds, poor acoustics, meat head security, not too mention product bundling whereby you pay for a package rather than just the band you actually want to see.

To put things in perspective. Dire Straits in the mid 80's cost about $30, Queen was $25, Iron Maiden Powerslave tour was $20, Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers Tour was $25, Springsteen Born in the USA was $27... and so on.

Prior to that, I was seeing Midnight Oil [when they played Surf music type shit] for $5 at War and Peace, Sunny Boys, Angels, Dragon [If Hunter wasn't on the smack they were unbeatable live], Cold Chisel, Keven Borich, Australian Crawl, U2 for I think $20 ... and a heap of others for no more than $10 but usually for nothing. For the record U2 were shit and not musicians arseholes in 1984.

Obviously wages have grown... but the shit these days is simply wayyy too expensive in comparison.

Edit: I forgot to mention The Saints -

Last edited by The Dunster; 13-11-2017 at 09:25 PM.

Good Charlotte are big and are good live but because their not "Metal" They dont belong on this festival. Green day and Blink 182 are from a similar genre and headlined Soundwave and got a bigger crowd and reception then most of the metal bands to ever play the festival. So don't write them off as less respectable.
    Greenday are a Stiff Little Fingers tribute band ffs.

Last edited by The Dunster; 13-11-2017 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It's unfortunate that the youngsters these days don't really get to see live music like we did in the 70's to 80's - unless they fork out a shit load of dollars. Even then they often have to contend with big crowds, poor acoustics, meat head security, not too mention product bundling whereby you pay for a package rather than just the band you actually want to see.

To put things in perspective. Dire Straits in the mid 80's cost about $30, Queen was $25, Iron Maiden Powerslave tour was $20, Deep Purple - Perfect Strangers Tour was $25, Springsteen Born in the USA was $27... and so on.

Prior to that, I was seeing Midnight Oil [when they played Surf music type shit] for $5 at War and Peace, Sunny Boys, Angels, Dragon [If Hunter wasn't on the smack they were unbeatable live], Cold Chisel, Keven Borich, Australian Crawl, U2 for I think $20 ... and a heap of others for no more than $10 but usually for nothing. For the record U2 were shit and not musicians arseholes in 1984.

Obviously wages have grown... but the shit these days is simply wayyy too expensive in comparison.

Edit: I forgot to mention The Saints -

Even the 90's were cheap, the number of international acts that came through the Uni in that time period (with dirt cheap ticket prices) was unbelievable.

I still believe, people should get off their arse and support local original music. Lots of good stuff out there, very cheap to get into and who knows, you may find a band you really like.

as far as costs are concerned, live music has spiked for a few legit reasons.

Insurance policies are through the roof the second you wanna get more than 2 human beings in the one public space. Even back in the old days you had to cover yourself for any pelican short hopping the landing on a stage dive, but nowadays you need insurance to cover any lawsuits from some poor petals feelings getting hurt from some nasty lyrics or gyrating backup dancers.

also, not much coin being made from record sales anymore. even the well off established artists are crying poor with spotify etc ruling the roost.
    live gigs are where the bands make their real coin, so pay up or go see Perry Como down the local bowlo and jag yourself a meat tray if you're lucky.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

I don't necessarily write them off as less respectable, I just feel that they have way more pop appeal, and are on a line up that features no other real pop punk acts outside of neck deep. They just stick out on the line up, the people who will wanna see them will go to their tour and not this festival

I don't necessarily write them off as less respectable, I just feel that they have way more pop appeal, and are on a line up that features no other real pop punk acts outside of neck deep. They just stick out on the line up, the people who will wanna see them will go to their tour and not this festival
    Trophy Eyes and Story so far are kinda in that genre as well. And Plenty of People like metal and pop punk so they get bands they like in both genres

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    as far as costs are concerned, live music has spiked for a few legit reasons.

Insurance policies are through the roof the second you wanna get more than 2 human beings in the one public space. Even back in the old days you had to cover yourself for any pelican short hopping the landing on a stage dive, but nowadays you need insurance to cover any lawsuits from some poor petals feelings getting hurt from some nasty lyrics or gyrating backup dancers.

also, not much coin being made from record sales anymore. even the well off established artists are crying poor with spotify etc ruling the roost.
    live gigs are where the bands make their real coin, so pay up or go see Perry Como down the local bowlo and jag yourself a meat tray if you're lucky.
    There wasn't much coin from record sales in the 60's, 70's and 80's for the artists either - management and the Harvard MBA's robbed most of them blind. Bands like The Who, Kinks, and Rolling Stones didn't see any decent money until the mid 70's.

Too many non-musical **** wits wanting a slice of the pie is the problem.

Hey Grim (and probably Dunster too, I know he likes giving things a crack), you given the new Mastodon EP "Cold Dark Place" a listen yet??
    4 songs.. Its bloody amazing.. Heaps more like the Crack The Skye style..

Last edited by Bon; 20-12-2017 at 11:36 AM.