Page 61 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Don't get me started about Pro Tools and how it's ruining music Stanny
    Nah John Feldman production is ruining music.

Bloody hell, these boys can play..
    Love the sweeps he puts in too!!

When I saw the title as "breakdown", I was definitely expecting something different.. Very cool stuff.

Great song and the video is gold for showing how diverse peoples musical tastes are.

Polishing turds with Pro Tools is not music Stanny. It limits musicians in that everyone sounds the same.
    So this....watched a Keith Moon isolated drum track the other night. One twit commented that Moon isn't as good as modern drummers who use technology because he's "all over the place".....ffs.

If they can play it live it's progression not polishing.

If they can't play it live then I have a problem with it.

There's a big difference between selling out and overproducing your music.

The Offspring sold out, Muse overproduced and Metallica did both.
    Last edited by Frodo; 16-09-2018 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Me no spell good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    If they can play it live it's progression not polishing.

If they can't play it live then I have a problem with it.

There's a big difference between selling out and O we producing your music.

The Offspring sold out, Muse overproduced and Metallica did both.
    How did the offspring sell out? Legit curious?
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    How did the offspring sell out? Legit curious?
    It presents that they were persuaded to change their sound as soon as they signed to a major label (after 2 great albums- and then Smash,). It can be framed as 'progression' i guess, but when you are punk band, sign for a major label and then release 'pretty fly for a white guy'.....That's selling out.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    It presents that they were persuaded to change their sound as soon as they signed to a major label (after 2 great albums- and then Smash,). It can be framed as 'progression' i guess, but when you are punk band, sign for a major label and then release 'pretty fly for a white guy'.....That's selling out.
    Pretty Fly is ****ing solid though? To each their own

It's trashy made to make money pop music.

They weren't going to write that song until they signed that contract. There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

They weren't going to write that song until they signed that contract. There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).
    Good Charlotte were never really punk more poppy and Green Day never sold out. They always wrote the music they wanted some just became more popular then others

Good Charlotte were never really punk more poppy and Green Day never sold out. They always wrote the music they wanted some just became more popular then others
    Sorry mate.. They did..
    Offspring definitely did.

Maybe Stanny doesn't consider it selling out if they suddenly started making music he liked instead of their original work?

Here is something for any of the drummers out there.. Well, and guitarists just for the audio playing..
    Alex Rudinger (from The Faceless, The HAARP Machine, Conquering Dystopia, etc) playing a cover of Stabwound by German tech-death band Necrophagist.
    The album that this song is off, Epitaph, is probably one of the best tech-death metal albums ever.. (in my opinion, haha)

There was a massive trend of punk rock bands getting to a size and then either signing up and becoming one of the sell out bands (Green Day/Good Charlotte) or struggling for the next decade even though they had a huge amount of die hard fans. (Bad Religion/Strung Out).
    maybe those bands that 'sold out' just had more songs that were more popular then those other bands you quoted.

and look, pretty much by the time a band hits your ears, they have 'sold out' in one form or another.
    Bad Religion sure sold plenty of tee shirts for a band that was all about the music.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Maybe Stanny doesn't consider it selling out if they suddenly started making music he liked instead of their original work?
    I love all of Green Day's work, Ive just followed them long enough to not believe they sold out. They wouldn't of wrote the trilogy album if they sold out
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

love at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    maybe those bands that 'sold out' just had more songs that were more popular then those other bands you quoted.

and look, pretty much by the time a band hits your ears, they have 'sold out' in one form or another.
    Bad Religion sure sold plenty of tee shirts for a band that was all about the music.
    Depends on your definition of 'sold out' i guess. Which is a subjective viewpoint, as with just about everything with music.
    In the 90's/early 2000's when i was an idealist and actively involved with hardcore, any hardcore band that signed with a major label was a 'sell out' to me.
    I would now define a 'sellout' as someone that doesn't stay true to their musical style to make the $$. Offspring are an example. (and im not talking about progression, but radical shifts spawned by the corporate dollar.).

Happy to use BR as a reference point. They have sold heaps of shirts id say you are right, and they also even signed to a major label at one stage and have made some decent coin out of being a band. But they have remained true to their sound and ethos (except New America, that was a piece of poo, but Brett Geurwitz was off coking it up and they struggled in his absence).

Bad Religion was probably a bad example given the fact that Brett owns Epitaph Records. But they worked pretty hard to get to where they ended up.

I loved watching bands in a certain genre all start of making a similar sound and then slowly move into different directions within the same umbrella. (Bands like Thrice, Rise Against, AFI, Taking Back Sunday and The Used all started off making similar albums and then went in totally different direction within the Punk Rock Genre.)

Greenday starting making punk albums and then starting making rock albums because it's much harder to be a juggernaut band if you don't play rock. That's why I say they sold out. Selling out doesn't mean your a bad band, me saying a band sold out just means I don't like where they took their music too. I'm sure they can sleep at night even though some people wished they'd keep making Dookie rather than American Idiot and be poor and out of work by now.

This nails it. Any band that has put out an album has bent to the labels wishes. Only way to avoid it is to fund the production yourself on your own label/distribution.

Its interesting with the bands listed in here so far.

Offspring for me were shit before they sold out. There was never any substance to their music or lyrics, but it was pretty clear cut when they changed and the success really rolled in.

Green Day though, I don't see them as having sold out, unless you take the Dookie album as selling out. I can hear an evolution in their songwriting though and the success probably enabled a little more excess in the production of the albums. We can probably argue all day about whether they "sold out" though. I think they just matured as a band rather than being pushed to change. Its a fine line, do you put out the same album for 30 years (AC/DC) or evolve and cop the sell out tag.

Just as I wouldn't call Metallica's "Black", or Megadeth's "Countdown to Extinction" selling out. Different, yes, but more an evolution of a band and thats not always going to take the hardcore fans along for the ride.