Page 65 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1555636465666775 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,300 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Anyone remember GBH ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    I don't agree that hardcore is punk..
    Agree. Totally different genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    The term Hardcore is actually short for Hardcore Punk. Can't have one without the other. You're a metal kid, you should know all about the trillion different sub genres in each of the schools of music. I prefer Emo punk over skater punk but it's all still punk.
    This is true..
    But hardcore became its own in a way. I mean, now you have metalcore.. That is metal and hardcore.. Not metal hardcore punk..
    Obviously all forms of music have evolved or morphed from other genres, but I just don't think hardcore IS punk.. It's come from there though, yep.
    I mean, there is a big difference between Terror who I just posted and say, Frenzal Rhomb, who I would consider to be punk..

I do see what you are saying though, mate..
    Last edited by Bon; 18-01-2019 at 12:24 PM.

A few things.

Hardcore is punk.

Trophy Eyes were an emo band, now they are a pop punk bad. They've never been hardcore, unless it was on their 1st EP which was 5 years ago.

Dune rats are a surfer/garage rock band, not punk. Plus they are terrible.

Skeggs are doing ok I guess, but they are too bogan for US audiences to really get into.

The only 2 Aussie punk bands who are doing better than Trophy Eyes right now are Luca Brasi and Violent Soho. But I think they've both peaked.

Trophy Eyes already charted on the US billboards on their 2nd album. Amity Affliction are dying down, Parkway drive are too far into the metal side of metalcore. So we really don't have any big bands on the Punk/Hardcore scene anymore. Hence my comments.
    I would argue that Surf Rock is Punk/Grunge, Dune Rats sound isn't far of what Nirvana was doing.

Don't get me wrong Trophy Eyes are killing it and I'm a big fan but I would hardly call them the poster boys.
    News flash we are in Australia, who gives 2 F's what the US ordinance want or think. In Australia at the moment bands like Smith Street Band, The Bennies, Polish Club, DZ Deathrays, Dune Rats and Skegss are all pulling similar crowds to Trophy Eyes. Then you have the up coming bands like The Hard Aches, Tired Lion, Dear Seattle and Hockey Dad all making huge waves, the scene in Australia is making it's own way and it doesn't need the US market.

Oh and big love on Luca Brasi, I've been listening to them for about 5 years now and seen them live on NYE 2017. One of the best live sets I've seen in a long time. FYI I seen Tired Lion about a fortnight ago and they also smashed it if you haven't checked them out I seriously think you should, If Garbage and No Doubt had a baby it would have been Tired Lion.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Dunster, where did you pull GBH from? I've never heard of them.. I used to listen to a bit of The Exploited back in the day, I kinda feel they woulda been influenced by GBH?
    Not too shabby at all..

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Something for Kate was never punk, or grunge.

Just trash.
    They def own that category.

(Oh and to be #wellactually guy, but Bodyjar is prob the 'pop/punk' band from that era).
    Get out of here with your Something for Kate hate.

Don't get me wrong Bodyjar are great but Area 7 are the best Aussie Punk Band from the 90's.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Yeah mate.. I know it is, there are obvious similarities, but to me it shouldn't be labeled the same..

If you want some hardcore, get to the Small Ballroom on 28th of Jan to see Terror play..
    Beeen, you getting to this?

Does Beeen even come on here anymore?
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Does Beeen even come on here anymore?
    He never posts, but hes ALWAYS lurking..

Don't get me wrong Bodyjar are great but Area 7 are the best Aussie Punk Band from the 90's.
    was more just posting from a commercial/critical success point of view.

But yeah Something for Kate is trash. Paul Dempsey is trash.
    Im glad we can all agree on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

I would argue that Surf Rock is Punk/Grunge, Dune Rats sound isn't far of what Nirvana was doing.
    Nirvana weren't punk, they were a rock band. Same as Dune Rats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Hands like Houses another Aussie band going strong atm. Stand Alantic also getting bigger

Nirvana weren't punk, they were a rock band. Same as Dune Rats.
    "Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."

Kurt Cobain
    I'M GULLIBLE!

"No, I don't have a gun"

Kurt Cobain - Come As You Are

"No, I don't have a gun"

Kurt Cobain - Come As You Are
    Dead
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Dunster, where did you pull GBH from? I've never heard of them.. I used to listen to a bit of The Exploited back in the day, I kinda feel they woulda been influenced by GBH?
    Not too shabby at all..
    Someone I knew from attending shows in the late 70's early 80's made some Bootlegs of them in the late 70's [ We called him Bambi ]- He'd seen the Sex Pistols, Stooges, Dead Kennedy's, Velvet Underground, Joy Division, and a host of other iconic bands when they were at their peak - and fortunately he recorded it all.

This is true..
    But hardcore became its own in a way. I mean, now you have metalcore.. That is metal and hardcore.. Not metal hardcore punk..
    Obviously all forms of music have evolved or morphed from other genres, but I just don't think hardcore IS punk.. It's come from there though, yep.
    I mean, there is a big difference between Terror who I just posted and say, Frenzal Rhomb, who I would consider to be punk..

I do see what you are saying though, mate..
    I've typed and deleted about 5 responses to this but I can't put it into words easily. Too many bands are labelled as hardcore these days that aren't really hardcore. If they have a few breakdowns in their music then they are labelled as hardcore.

It's similar to the late 90s early 2000s when everything that wasn't heavy metal, but wasn't soft enough to be played on the radio was labelled as Nu Metal.

So I'll probably have to concede that hardcore and punk are quite different.

To me, hardcore bands should sound like they are playing a punk song, but sped up and cranked up to 11 with terrifying lyrics smashed into your face/chest whilst sweaty dudes swing elbows and fists all around you're head and someone throws a shoe at you. I.e Black Flag. But I might be old fashioned.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

What I like about Extreme Metal / Hardcore is that it's pretty much the only genre around still in development. Everything else has been done before - and usually a lot better.

"Punk is musical freedom. It's saying, doing and playing what you want. In Webster's terms, 'nirvana' means freedom from pain, suffering and the external world, and that's pretty close to my definition of Punk Rock."

Kurt Cobain
    Yeah, but Cobain was a massive wanker with an Ego and probably wished he could be a punk rocker. It's still got to sound like punk music to be punk music. Other wise anyone who is against "The System" is in a punk band. Rage Against the Machine and Public Enemy are punk as hell, but they don't make punk music.

Too many bands are labelled as hardcore these days that aren't really hardcore. If they have a few breakdowns in their music then they are labelled as hardcore.
    Absolutely!!

It's similar to the late 90s early 2000s when everything that wasn't heavy metal, but wasn't soft enough to be played on the radio was labelled as Nu Metal.
    Ahhhh I see Nu Metal as different to that. I'd say it was when you got the cross-pollination of rapping with some metal riffs.. Korn, Linkin Park, Disturbed, Limp Bizkit, etc.. Although, the more I think about that definition, does that make RATM nu-metal? I would say no, even though it would definitely fit that interpretation..

To me, hardcore bands should sound like they are playing a punk song, but sped up and cranked up to 11 with terrifying lyrics smashed into your face/chest whilst sweaty dudes swing elbows and fists all around you're head and someone throws a shoe at you. I.e Black Flag. But I might be old fashioned.
    Totally agree on this.
    I grew up listening to a lot of the New York Hardcore scene.. Which kind of crossed over with metal, nu-metal, screamo, etc.. Bands like Vision Of Disorder, Integrity, Madball, Sick Of It All, Agnostic Front, Gorilla Biscuits, Earth Crisis..
    Later on, that same area also produced bands like Biohazard (never understood their appeal) and Pro-Pain who weren't anything alike but were quite massive..

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    What I like about Extreme Metal / Hardcore is that it's pretty much the only genre around still in development. Everything else has been done before - and usually a lot better.
    Don't be so old Dunster, lol.

Always remember that at some point, no matter how hard you try, your own personal taste will be stuck somewhere in your past and music will continue to grow without you.

Hip hop is nowhere near its peak. Every year now a new Classic is released.

Hardcore, as you said, is still growing.

Lo Fi is relatively new to me and it's awesome.

Plus, probably other stuff that I don't know about.