Page 68 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078 ... LastLast
Results 1,341 to 1,360 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    whilst its true that the traditional live music scene isnt what it once was, id argue its 'easier' for artists to get their music out there these days.

Streaming services, social media platforms have put a lot of power back into the artists hands vs being up against suits in charge of radio stations/record labels/venues. This prob started with JJJ Unearthed back in the day and has powered since then.

also, a lot of artists who have received enough exposure are now taking on their own live gigs.
    Mrs Plague was recently involved with a band booking a Newcastle venue, they fronted the cash, negotiated ticket sales and bar sales. The band took all the risk, but backed themselves to sell the joint out (which they did) and it was an extremely lucrative nights work for them.

I went and saw Chvrches the other night at the Opera House. again, someone thought outside the box and put them in a venue that not only was iconic, but showcased their sound amazingly. No support band, and there was a buzzer that went off outside to let everyone know the gig was starting. It was very different to anything id been to regarding live music.
    Not sure who was more blown away by that gig ever happening, the crowd or the band. But it worked.

Look at the bands playing the freaking Vineyards these days. Just bizarre.

The landscape has changed, but what industry hasnt in the last 20 years? Bands are dealing with what pretty much all of us do now, adapt or perish.
    it's easier to get it out for sure - it's not so easy making a living from it.

One band out of how many ? What you described used to be common place - now it's the exception to the rule.

There's a bit left as far as publishing rights go but even then the artists don't own the streaming services - and the likes of them are slowly but surely taking a bigger slice of the action as well.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 05:24 PM.

whilst its true that the traditional live music scene isnt what it once was, id argue its 'easier' for artists to get their music out there these days.

Streaming services, social media platforms have put a lot of power back into the artists hands vs being up against suits in charge of radio stations/record labels/venues. This prob started with JJJ Unearthed back in the day and has powered since then.

also, a lot of artists who have received enough exposure are now taking on their own live gigs.
    Mrs Plague was recently involved with a band booking a Newcastle venue, they fronted the cash, negotiated ticket sales and bar sales. The band took all the risk, but backed themselves to sell the joint out (which they did) and it was an extremely lucrative nights work for them.

I went and saw Chvrches the other night at the Opera House. again, someone thought outside the box and put them in a venue that not only was iconic, but showcased their sound amazingly. No support band, and there was a buzzer that went off outside to let everyone know the gig was starting. It was very different to anything id been to regarding live music.
    Not sure who was more blown away by that gig ever happening, the crowd or the band. But it worked.

Look at the bands playing the freaking Vineyards these days. Just bizarre.

The landscape has changed, but what industry hasnt in the last 20 years? Bands are dealing with what pretty much all of us do now, adapt or perish.
    Got to be heard live as well, thats why bands form. Not to put stuff on spotify in the hope it gets found.

yes its easier to get the music out, but a lot harder for a new band to get gigs and hone their stage craft and band chemistry.

The example you cite wouldn't be your usual new band trying to get a start. You are talking bands who have climbed a few rungs up the ladder. The fact remains, its pretty grim for new bands to get out and just play.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Name a licenced venue in Newcastle where new bands regularly get a chance to play original material in front of an audience for money.

It used to be a case that if you wanted to play somewhere you could - now it's near impossible to get a gig anywhere decent - to be able to actually run a 100w Plexi or a 59 Bassman and so on - forget it - venues just don't allow that type of thing anymore.
    The key in there is NEW. I know of a few friends original bands that command good $$$$ both in and out of newcastle, but that is not the norm. They have sizeable followings and have been around a long time.

I have to attenuate the crap out of all my amps to play in most venues. Was never an issue when I bought my gear and if anything, I've downsized.

This weekend we have Icehouse, The Sunny Boys, The Church, Do Re Mi, and Mental as Anything playing By the C in Newcastle.

Would have been a good line up if it was still 1981. Today it's just a reminder of how completely farked the live scene is for up and coming bands in this town.

Plague should go and have a chat to these guys and tell them how much better things are now than they were back in 1981 - Hopefully he doesn't get Jeremy Oxley on a bad day.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 06:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    The example you cite wouldn't be your usual new band trying to get a start. You are talking bands who have climbed a few rungs up the ladder. The fact remains, its pretty grim for new bands to get out and just play.
    oh for sure that was my point. But the band im talking about were not so long ago playing pubs on open mic nights and living out of their car.
    all i was saying is that the pathway has changed, but there is still a pathway.

i just read that Amy Shark is playing Margaret Court arena soon, didnt she start out on youtube or something?
    I had no idea they played music gigs there, but here we are in 2019, things have changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

This weekend we have Icehouse, The Sunny Boys, The Church, Do Re Mi, and Mental as Anything playing By the C in Newcastle.

Would have been a good line up if it was still 1981. Today it's just a reminder of how completely farked the live scene is for up and coming bands in this town.

Plague should go and have a chat to these guys and tell them how much better things are now than they were back in 1981 - Hopefully he doesn't get Jeremy Oxley on a bad day.
    yep, and they've just announced The Drop festival to coincide with Surfest, and Up Down festival is coming in March (from the same people that put on This/That).

There are plenty of chances to see 'new' live music in Newcastle.
    But i'd imagine theres still a few people out there searching for the Jolly Roger and Bel Air hotels on their GPS because 'thats how we did it in the old days'.

Ive no idea if "things are much better now".

but i aint the one living in the past either.
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    Seems like I am WRONG

yep, and they've just announced The Drop festival to coincide with Surfest, and Up Down festival is coming in March (from the same people that put on This/That).

There are plenty of chances to see 'new' live music in Newcastle.
    But i'd imagine theres still a few people out there searching for the Jolly Roger and Bel Air hotels on their GPS because 'thats how we did it in the old days'.

Ive no idea if "things are much better now".

but i aint the one living in the past either.
    I'm not living in the past. Far from it - I want these bands to **** off and let the kids have a go.

I'm not living in the past. Far from it - I want these bands to **** off and let the kids have a go.
    not saying 'you' are specifically.

but

Here are all the bands/musicians you talked about today:

The Saints
    Radio Birdman.
    GBH.
    Sex Pistols.
    Stooges.
    Dead Kennedys.
    Velvet Underground.
    Joy Division.
    Eddie Van Halen.
    Hendrix.
    Link Wray.
    Nirvana.
    The Spice Girls.
    King Crimson.
    Mudhoney.
    Neil Young.
    Nirvana.
    Rolling Stones.
    Beatles.
    Frank Zappa.
    Kanye (negatively...i think).
    Maroon 5 (negatively...i think).
    Sum 41 (def negatively).
    Icehouse.
    Sunnyboys.
    The Church.
    Do Re Mi.
    Mental as Anything.

The two 'newest' ones were Kanye and Sum 41 and it didnt sound like you liked either.

You're a Black Sabbath reference away from the 'old man yells at clouds' meme from automatically popping up.
    Seems like I am WRONG

not saying 'you' are specifically.

but

Here are all the bands/musicians you talked about today:

The Saints
    Radio Birdman.
    GBH.
    Sex Pistols.
    Stooges.
    Dead Kennedys.
    Velvet Underground.
    Joy Division.
    Eddie Van Halen.
    Hendrix.
    Link Wray.
    Nirvana.
    The Spice Girls.
    King Crimson.
    Mudhoney.
    Neil Young.
    Nirvana.
    Rolling Stones.
    Beatles.
    Frank Zappa.
    Kanye (negatively...i think).
    Maroon 5 (negatively...i think).
    Sum 41 (def negatively).
    Icehouse.
    Sunnyboys.
    The Church.
    Do Re Mi.
    Mental as Anything.

The two 'newest' ones were Kanye and Sum 41 and it didnt sound like you liked either.

You're a Black Sabbath reference away from the 'old man yells at clouds' meme from automatically popping up.
    I wish I could name someone mainstream these days that was innovative - but I don't think they even exist - and if they did the Harvard MBAs would soon put them into line.

If music [As an opportunity for new bands / performers] today is so great then how can you explain so many bands from many years past still being commercially relevant ?

The answer is simple - it's very tough to break into this business now days - tougher than it has ever been.

People don't get exposed to anything new so they go with what they already know [which is pathetic]

The people controlling the industry don't take risks - and that's killing innovation.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 08:04 PM.

Name a licenced venue in Newcastle where new bands regularly get a chance to play original material in front of an audience for money.

It used to be a case that if you wanted to play somewhere you could - now it's near impossible to get a gig anywhere decent - to be able to actually run a 100w Plexi or a 59 Bassman and so on - forget it - venues just don't allow that type of thing anymore.
    The entire conversation was that Premy and I thought the scene was thriving and you thought it was dying. Newcastle having no night life hasn't affected the ability for new bands to come through. They have found different ways to build a following and are playing gigs in Melbourne or Sydney. So I'll admit that Newcastle has a terrible live scene, but the band's are still coming through ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

If music [As an opportunity for new bands / performers] today is so great then how can you explain so many bands from many years past still being commercially relevant ?

The answer is simple - it's very tough to break into this business now days - tougher than it has ever been.

People don't get exposed to anything new so they go with what they already know [which is pathetic]

The people controlling the industry don't take risks - and that's killing innovation.
    That's completely wrong. The reason why old bands are so popular and bankable for promoters is because the people with the most expendable income are the ones still pinning for the good ol days.

Young people can't afford to go to gigs anymore. They've been priced out by 30-40 yr olds paying overs for big names to fly over from the US.

Add in the fact that those bands would also charge less to play because they are well past their peak and promotors would be stupid to bring out any smaller bands. Why risk it when you don't need to.

You're blaming the wrong people for this. It's people who have stood still and can't find any new music to enjoy that are killing the scene more than music execs making sound financial decisions.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

I know a local Newcastle band doing alright for themselves. Plenty of gigs happening, they are doing well on JJJ Unearthed. As far as I can tell they are living the dream.

I'm sure they are plenty of bands struggling, but I'm.also sure it's not 100% down to the decisions made by people in suits.

firstly im not sure where you are getting that im saying the industry is 'great'. Im saying the scene is different, and there are success stories. Are there more as a % of bands out there trying? I dont know, and i dont know if theres any way to answer that.

People as creatures of habits? thats human nature mate. i dont know if peoples taste in music changes any more or less than their taste in partners, movies, politics, cars, colours, media outlets and sports. id argue thats its never been easier to discover new music. 20 years ago you needed an alternative radio station, record store and maybe the Big Day Out to see new things. If you wanted to try anything new you needed to pay for a ticket or buy the CD. These days you can legally stream for free and have access to literally billions of songs. They will even suggest songs and artists that you may like based on your tastes. You can listen to it 24/7 via any media device. You can lead a bloke to spotify but you cant make him isten etc etc etc. Theres no way in the world it was that easy back in the day. No way at all.

and who are the people 'controlling the industry' you speak of?
    because the artist themselves have never had more power than before. they decide when to drop new music, they can put out one song at a time whenever they feel like it. i saw a protest song from a popular band pop up the other day just because they felt like having their say. You see rappers and their 'diss tracks' all the time. Most artists dont have old school record contracts anymore like the old days. Sure there are manufactured bands like One Direction who are as corporate as it gets, but werent the Monkees the exact same thing?

A bunch of artists didnt like the Spotify and Apple music deal so they started their own damn streaming platform.
    Taylor Swift didnt like the Spotify deal so she went exclusive with Apple until Spotify ponied up.
    Artists are making more business decisions than ever. again, sure there will be hangers on who make money off it, but again, back in the day Sony stopped George Michael putting out music. You think that goes down like that these days? (and sorry not sorry about the George Michael/going down remark).

As for no innovation. again, thats entirely personal, but Bruno Mars fans probably werent alive when Michael Jackson was popular (or alive). They dont give a rats if old folk wanna tell them its been done before.
    Seems like I am WRONG

oh for sure that was my point. But the band im talking about were not so long ago playing pubs on open mic nights and living out of their car.
    all i was saying is that the pathway has changed, but there is still a pathway.

i just read that Amy Shark is playing Margaret Court arena soon, didnt she start out on youtube or something?
    I had no idea they played music gigs there, but here we are in 2019, things have changed.
    Amy Shark is awesome

firstly im not sure where you are getting that im saying the industry is 'great'. Im saying the scene is different, and there are success stories. Are there more as a % of bands out there trying? I dont know, and i dont know if theres any way to answer that.

People as creatures of habits? thats human nature mate. i dont know if peoples taste in music changes any more or less than their taste in partners, movies, politics, cars, colours, media outlets and sports. id argue thats its never been easier to discover new music. 20 years ago you needed an alternative radio station, record store and maybe the Big Day Out to see new things. If you wanted to try anything new you needed to pay for a ticket or buy the CD. These days you can legally stream for free and have access to literally billions of songs. They will even suggest songs and artists that you may like based on your tastes. You can listen to it 24/7 via any media device. You can lead a bloke to spotify but you cant make him isten etc etc etc. Theres no way in the world it was that easy back in the day. No way at all.

and who are the people 'controlling the industry' you speak of?
    because the artist themselves have never had more power than before. they decide when to drop new music, they can put out one song at a time whenever they feel like it. i saw a protest song from a popular band pop up the other day just because they felt like having their say. You see rappers and their 'diss tracks' all the time. Most artists dont have old school record contracts anymore like the old days. Sure there are manufactured bands like One Direction who are as corporate as it gets, but werent the Monkees the exact same thing?

A bunch of artists didnt like the Spotify and Apple music deal so they started their own damn streaming platform.
    Taylor Swift didnt like the Spotify deal so she went exclusive with Apple until Spotify ponied up.
    Artists are making more business decisions than ever. again, sure there will be hangers on who make money off it, but again, back in the day Sony stopped George Michael putting out music. You think that goes down like that these days? (and sorry not sorry about the George Michael/going down remark).

As for no innovation. again, thats entirely personal, but Bruno Mars fans probably werent alive when Michael Jackson was popular (or alive). They dont give a rats if old folk wanna tell them its been done before.
    What was the George Michael situation ? I can't recall it.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Amy Shark is awesome
    This isn't hate, I actually see it as a compliment. Amy Shark isn't my sort of thing but I get the appeal.

To me, she sounds like she's writing music for Taylor Swift that Taylor doesn't actually want to perform. Like what Sia does. It's catchy, not offensive and easy on the ears and everytime I hear her new stuff I picture Taylor singing it.

Was this around the Toilet incident?

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    That's completely wrong. The reason why old bands are so popular and bankable for promoters is because the people with the most expendable income are the ones still pinning for the good ol days.

Young people can't afford to go to gigs anymore. They've been priced out by 30-40 yr olds paying overs for big names to fly over from the US.

Add in the fact that those bands would also charge less to play because they are well past their peak and promotors would be stupid to bring out any smaller bands. Why risk it when you don't need to.

You're blaming the wrong people for this. It's people who have stood still and can't find any new music to enjoy that are killing the scene more than music execs making sound financial decisions.
    We agree. It's because the old artists are lower risk. The reason they are low risk is because nobody has brought in an alternative.

Google "Mere Exposure Effect". That will explain how risk is avoided by the execs.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Amy Shark is awesome
    how did you hear about her?
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    This isn't hate, I actually see it as a compliment. Amy Shark isn't my sort of thing but I get the appeal.

To me, she sounds like she's writing music for Taylor Swift that Taylor doesn't actually want to perform. Like what Sia does. It's catchy, not offensive and easy on the ears and everytime I hear her new stuff I picture Taylor singing it.
    Amy Shark is a good example. I just listened to one songon youtube - no idea who she was

Song : I said Hi -

It's in E Flat Minor so Taylor Swift's completely no chance to play it with her lack of musicianship. [Unless the capo comes out]

Also, it even has a bridge which is very unusual these days.

However, Amy Shark is 32 years old - why did it take so long - musically most people are finished by the time they hit 30.

She's a pretty looking girl as well which doesn't hurt in this day and age. [or any other I guess].
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 10:03 PM.

he wanted out of his contract because Sony was rejecting too much of his music. Even though he felt he was busting his ass* writing songs he had to give Sony 8 records worth of content that Sony liked, not what the artist wanted to release.

He literally 'went on strike' and Sony wouldnt let him release any new music.

he lost millions on the court case trying to get out of the deal, then signed a buyout through Virgin records to get music out.

then, oddly enough, ended up signing a new deal with Sony years later but this one was massively in his favour including royalties on his back catalog, which he never got before.

stuff just doesnt go on like that anymore.

*again, sorry not sorry.
    Seems like I am WRONG