Page 69 of 96 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179 ... LastLast
Results 1,361 to 1,380 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    2. Where's the ****ing Bridge ? Seriously, is this how far music's regressed.
    Ive heard you make this criticism a few times about certain artists.

but earlier on you asked for innovation, yet seem to enjoy songs sticking to a formula.

shouldnt songs just....be? why do they 'need' certain elements?
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    how did you hear about her?
    Not sure if troll. But her song with Mark Hoppus

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    This isn't hate, I actually see it as a compliment. Amy Shark isn't my sort of thing but I get the appeal.

To me, she sounds like she's writing music for Taylor Swift that Taylor doesn't actually want to perform. Like what Sia does. It's catchy, not offensive and easy on the ears and everytime I hear her new stuff I picture Taylor singing it.
    I normally hate that stuff but her stuff is different to the rest for me

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Not sure if troll. But her song with Mark Hoppus
    no not a troll. Just wondering if you discovered her through 'new' channels like spotify/youtube.
    i dont know much of her music (apart from friends telling me they are voting hottest 100). I know the 'i said hi' song.

but, you just told me about a song with mark Hoppus, so i jumped online and listened to it.

there you go, new media spreading the gospel of music.

(i didnt dig the song - not my thang).
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

I don't get exposed to anything new so I go with what I already know [which is pathetic]
    Just thought I would fix this part for you so you understand why you are turning into a fossil.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Ive heard you make this criticism a few times about certain artists.

but earlier on you asked for innovation, yet seem to enjoy songs sticking to a formula.

shouldnt songs just....be? why do they 'need' certain elements?
    It actually has one Plague - I retyped my response after I played it on guitar.

Not all songs need a bridge - but these days it's something that tends to not exist at all - it can work but it's not exactly innovative to avoid them either.

Songs tend to be very flat without them.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    I normally hate that stuff but her stuff is different to the rest for me
    It is different Stanny - it actually shows a level of musicianship seriously lacking in a lot of mainstream efforts.

Her voice is also unusual because it appears she may not be auto tuned - but I can't see that lasting too long - eventually everyone uses the auto tune.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Just thought I would fix this part for you so you understand why you are turning into a fossil.
    I'm still waiting for you to list all the licenced Newcastle venues which accept up and coming bands playing original material Premy.

no not a troll. Just wondering if you discovered her through 'new' channels like spotify/youtube.
    i dont know much of her music (apart from friends telling me they are voting hottest 100). I know the 'i said hi' song.

but, you just told me about a song with mark Hoppus, so i jumped online and listened to it.

there you go, new media spreading the gospel of music.

(i didnt dig the song - not my thang).
    As soon as I read your question Plague I laughed - because I was on the you tube looking her up .

I'm still waiting for you to list all the licenced Newcastle venues which accept up and coming bands playing original material Premy.
    The Orana
    The Small Ballroom
    The Lass O'Gowrie
    The Cambridge
    Bar on the Hill
    Greenroof
    The Mark
    Hamilton Station
    Street Feast Markets
    Honeysuckle
    The Wicko
    Croatian Sports Club

Edit: that's for bands.

King Street
    Finnigans
    Argle
    Greenroof
    Sydney Junction

They have new DJs coming through all the time.
    Last edited by Premy; 18-01-2019 at 11:52 PM.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

The Orana
    The Small Ballroom
    The Lass O'Gowrie
    The Cambridge
    Bar on the Hill
    Greenroof
    The Mark
    Hamilton Station
    Street Feast Markets
    Honeysuckle
    The Wicko
    Croatian Sports Club

King Street
    Finnigans
    Argle
    Greenroof
    Sydney Junction

Thanks Premy. That is good to know.

It's more comprehensive than I thought it would be - I might check some out.

Not the Orana though, it's only been 30 years since I was last there - might leave it for another ten or so - or has it been cleaned up ?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 18-01-2019 at 11:59 PM.

The live music scene is alive and well.
    Tonight if you get yourself to the Station Hotel you can go see a US band called Harms Way play supported by a band from Tamworth.
    Go check it out.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Holy Shit. That is pretty full on.

The Orana
    The Small Ballroom
    The Lass O'Gowrie
    The Cambridge
    Bar on the Hill
    Greenroof
    The Mark
    Hamilton Station
    Street Feast Markets
    Honeysuckle
    The Wicko
    Croatian Sports Club

King Street
    Finnigans
    Argle
    Greenroof
    Sydney Junction

When we talk about up and coming acts, are people talking about new local original music scene being newcastle bands, or new(wish) national talent that has gotten to the level to tour small venues nationally?

Id still argue that the scene is a shadow of its former self. Many of those venues listed don't play local music to the extent that venues used todo. Venues used to have live original acts up to 5 nights a week, if you were a local band you could easily play every week (more if really keen).

You got paid for it. Punters came out to watch and pubs were packed.

Just in the city centre we have lost to local bands (and this is off the top of my head from the 90's). these venues used to cater mainly for live music and I haven't included a lot of other venues that were primarily cover bands. By 2000 a lot of this list had disappeared or the writing was on the wall. Others went through a change to attract different clients.

The Ambassador
    The Family
    Hunter On Hunter
    Bellevue
    Morrow Park Bowlo
    Empire
    JR (mix of original and live bands, original stuff was generally mid week)
    The Star (Still miss the room downstairs)
    National Park Bowling Club
    Newcastle Workers (small auditorium)
    Lucky Country (used to be a shocker lugging gear upstairs, as was the JR)
    Newcastle Leagues
    The Basement (cant remember the pub across from the police station, always had great Jazz, Blues and Funk)
    Newcastle Airforce Club (was where the Porkers got their start)
    Tattersalls Club
    SJ's (like the JR, original stuff was welcome during the week)

Similarly to the above venues, you could go to Maitland and there was a heap of venues close to each other.

While my memories of the 90's music scene were awesome, many older muso's tell me that in the late 70's and into the 80's there was even more venue choice to play at so I guess the venue availability and perception of the health of the scene depends on when you came into it.
    Last edited by sammydog; 19-01-2019 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    When we talk about up and coming acts, are people talking about new local original music scene being newcastle bands, or new(wish) national talent that has gotten to the level to tour small venues nationally?

Id still argue that the scene is a shadow of its former self. Many of those venues listed don't play local music to the extent that venues used todo. Venues used to have live original acts up to 5 nights a week, if you were a local band you could easily play every week (more if really keen).

You got paid for it. Punters came out to watch and pubs were packed.

Just in the city centre we have lost to local bands (and this is off the top of my head from the 90's). these venues used to cater mainly for live music and I haven't included a lot of other venues that were primarily cover bands. By 2000 a lot of this list had disappeared or the writing was on the wall. Others went through a change to attract different clients.

The Ambassador
    The Family
    Hunter On Hunter
    Bellevue
    Morrow Park Bowlo
    Empire
    JR (mix of original and live bands, original stuff was generally mid week)
    The Star (Still miss the room downstairs)
    National Park Bowling Club
    Newcastle Workers (small auditorium)
    Lucky Country (used to be a shocker lugging gear upstairs, as was the JR)
    Newcastle Leagues
    The Basement (cant remember the pub across from the police station, always had great Jazz, Blues and Funk)
    Newcastle Airforce Club (was where the Porkers got their start)
    Tattersalls Club
    SJ's (like the JR, original stuff was welcome during the week)

Similarly to the above venues, you could go to Maitland and there was a heap of venues close to each other.

While my memories of the 90's music scene were awesome, many older muso's tell me that in the late 70's and into the 80's there was even more venue choice to play at so I guess the venue availability and perception of the health of the scene depends on when you came into it.
    We are talking about new local / up and coming local / Newy Bands.

Everyone else is talking about national or international talent that has gotten to the level to tour small venues nationally.

We are talking about new local / up and coming local / Newy Bands.

Everyone else is talking about national or international talent that has gotten to the level to tour small venues nationally.
    Thats what I thought.

Newcastle has always been good (and hopefully remains) for national and international talent touring small(ish) venues.

Emerging local music, while not dead, is on life support. Once the Lass goes I don't know where will pick up the slack.

The Orana - I thought it closed? haha
    The Small Ballroom - True, but only if you are established.
    The Lass O'Gowrie - True, for now. New owners coming in, rumours of making it another generic "Lucky" style pub.
    The Cambridge - True, but not unless you are already established. The days of having heaps of original live bands (usually heavier) are well over there.
    Bar on the Hill - Once again, is it still even open? My uni days are well behind me.
    Greenroof - Covers.
    The Mark - Covers.
    Hamilton Station - True
    Street Feast Markets - Originals? Very rarely, but it can happen..
    Honeysuckle - Never originals. Only covers.
    The Wicko - True, but still hard for up-and-coming bands to play.
    Croatian Sports Club - Once again, if its open. Or you book it and organise for yourself.
    Whilst your list is correct that it does have live music Premy, most of those venues are for big name bands, established original bands, or covers bands.. Not necessarily what Dunster was talking about. Just around me in Newy East, you can see live music at a heap of places, but none of it is original really..
    Brewery - covers or djs
    Customs - acoustic covers or djs
    Bar Petit - acoustic covers
    Great Northern - covers and djs
    Grain Store - covers on a Sunday
    Diggers Club - pokie music
    Cranchor - I don't know if they still have music at all? I'm sure some of the Azzurri fanboys can fill me in there..

The Grand has jazz on Tuesday nights I believe? I haven't been up yet, but I'm pretty sure its a mix of covers and originals..
    The Lass and Hammo Staysh are probably the only two places on that list that will genuinely give local, unknown, original talent a go.. (Without them being selected to open for a bigger well-known band)

Most music in venues in Newcastle these days are run by the two major cover-band agencies in town. They do the bookings months in advance, and generally they decide who plays and what gets played.

I've played in a lot of those venues you listed (with an original band, and with covers..) The "scene" always changes over time, of course it does, but that doesn't mean its changed for the better.
    Without overthinking I would say the metal scene in town is non existent now compared to the early 2000's when I was playing in it - Which isn't true - But the only reason I think that is cause back then I was immersed in it. Playing or going to shows 3 nights a week hanging out and getting pissed, whereas now, I haven't been to a local show in years.. It can all come down to perspective and awareness..
    A lot of the sort of venues that used to give bands a start aren't around anymore (Palais, Hunter on Hunter, The Loft, Apache, etc) or have changed their stance on it (Cambo, the Lucky).

I guess what I'm trying to sum up (and doing it poorly) is that live music in town is well available, however live original "getting a start" is not. You are both correct.

p.s. Don't even need to mention DJ's.. We've opened up and been through that mess argument before..
    Last edited by Bon; 21-01-2019 at 12:46 PM.

Not exactly the Hunter on Hunter or National Park Bowling CLub in the 90's but Orana as Premy mentioned seems to be doing ok.

https://oranahotel.com.au/blogs/live...-entertainment

The live music scene is alive and well.
    Tonight if you get yourself to the Station Hotel you can go see a US band called Harms Way play supported by a band from Tamworth.
    Go check it out.
    The Hamo Staysh is great for alternative (lot of punk stuff mainly)..
    Pretty sure i saw Strike Anywhere are playing there in 2019 too (if you like melodic punk its a sure fire winner)

A coffee/shop tattoo joint in Maitland (The Cabin Collective) has a show on soon as well, might offer another alternate option.
    punk fest.jpg

Oh and the Grand Junction Hotel in ol Maitland town does live music by the bucketful...
    Owners are selling up though, so that could all change.

Quote Originally Posted by idontwannaplaywithhowey View Post
    The Hamo Staysh is great for alternative (lot of punk stuff mainly)..
    Pretty sure i saw Strike Anywhere are playing there in 2019 too (if you like melodic punk its a sure fire winner)

A coffee/shop tattoo joint in Maitland (The Cabin Collective) has a show on soon as well, might offer another alternate option.
    punk fest.jpg

Oh and the Grand Junction Hotel in ol Maitland town does live music by the bucketful...
    Owners are selling up though, so that could all change.
    Cheers. Might get down to the Grand Junction Hotel - I checked out some videos,and saw some familiar faces.

Strike Anywhere are from the USA, have been around for almost 20 years, the members of the band are over 40 years old.

This is the problem - where are the new local up and coming acts getting an opportunity to ply their trade ?
    Last edited by The Dunster; 22-01-2019 at 11:40 AM.