Page 71 of 87 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 1735

Thread: The Music Thread

  1. #1401
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    actually looking back over the last 20 years of winners i can see in most cases why a particular song won.even if i didnt dig it personally, you could always see why people thought it was a good song.
    It either had huge hooks like Muse, Franz Ferdinand or QOTA (yes, and even Jet).
    or they were classic drunken singalong songs (Zombie, Wonderwall, Amazing, One crowded hour)
    or it was during Powderfingers run of writing single after single that were so radio friendly you couldnt not get involved.


    id contend that its only really fallen apart in the last few years, like the Rubens, Kendrick Lamar and Chet Faker, These were all pretty lame songs, but (esp in Kendricks case) it was to make up for previous snubs.

    Hottest 100 is fast becoming like the Oscars, where as people are more concerned about voting for the 'right' song vs voting for the song they like the most. You only have to see by everyone rushing to post their votes on social media. in the old days no one knew you voted for Offspring, and today even if you thought it was the dopest song ever written, you are now scared of peoples reactions if you vote for it.


    im convinced this is how Tame Impala became popular. Because their music is garbage, but man oh man ive never heard from anyone hating on them in public.
    You can't be serious about Tame Impala. The blokes [Kevin Parker] a freakin genius Plague. He uses budget guitars and simple over the counter / cheap Boss Fx pedals and comes up with a very professional sounding product most clowns couldn't emulate spending 50 times as much.
    Basically, he's a 21st century version of Brian Wilson.

    It's not my cup of tea either - but the bloke has a shit load of talent.

  2. #1402
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,765
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    They are very good musicians with a great vocalist. Try this one Plague.

    Oh I dont doubt they are good musos.
    And yes this cover version is fine.

    I maintain that the winning song isnt very good and in 20 years time you put that, wonderwall and amazing on at the pub and let me know which ones getting sung the loudest.

  3. #1403
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,765
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    It's not my cup of tea either - but the bloke has a shit load of talent.
    Oh I can easily seperate the art from the artist.

    The songs are lame.

    A long time ago my guitar teacher sat me down and put on all those guitar heros like Vai/Malmsteen/Satriani etc and it bored me to death.

    Once we had a good discussion about the type of music I wanted to play he was able to teach me in a way that made it enjoyable.

    I can 'appreciate' Steve Vai.
    I think his music stinks.

  4. #1404
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Oh I dont doubt they are good musos.
    And yes this cover version is fine.

    I maintain that the winning song isnt very good and in 20 years time you put that, wonderwall and amazing on at the pub and let me know which ones getting sung the loudest.
    As long as they aren't singing that shit Daryl Braithwaite cover of Horses I'm happy.

  5. #1405
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Oh I can easily seperate the art from the artist.

    The songs are lame.

    A long time ago my guitar teacher sat me down and put on all those guitar heros like Vai/Malmsteen/Satriani etc and it bored me to death.

    Once we had a good discussion about the type of music I wanted to play he was able to teach me in a way that made it enjoyable.

    I can 'appreciate' Steve Vai.
    I think his music stinks.
    Was it Izzy ?

  6. #1406
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Or it's just a music poll? Actually, yes. It is just a music poll.
    I was all with this comment up until Triple J took themselves way to seriously with the whole Taylor Swift thing.

    Not to mention moving the whole thing away from Australia day.
    I dont think even Triple J thinks its 'just' a music poll.

  7. #1407
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    I was all with this comment up until Triple J took themselves way to seriously with the whole Taylor Swift thing.

    Not to mention moving the whole thing away from Australia day.
    I dont think even Triple J thinks its 'just' a music poll.
    Listening to the radio has always been the domain of [I'm not even allowed to say it anymore].

    It doesn't matter if it's JJJ or any other music orientated station - it's still effectively for people that really don't give a shit about music but like to pretend that they do.

    Triple JJJ has become or at least pretends to be bigger than the music it plays - and that's an entirely new level of ridiculous.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 29-01-2019 at 12:03 AM.

  8. #1408
    Senior Member Premy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,693
    I love when NON TRIPLE J listener's get on the interweb and complain that a song they have never heard won THE TRIPLE J HOTTEST 100.

    It's in the bloody name for christ sake, there is no claim that this was the greatest song of 2018. It is nothing more than a popularity contest for the favorite song amongst Triple J listener's voted by Triple J listener's.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    I support the NCIP

  9. #1409
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,765
    Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    I love when NON TRIPLE J listener's get on the interweb and complain that a song they have never heard won THE TRIPLE J HOTTEST 100.

    It's in the bloody name for christ sake, there is no claim that this was the greatest song of 2018. It is nothing more than a popularity contest for the favorite song amongst Triple J listener's voted by Triple J listener's.
    I guess this is the same as the cranky Member getting all upset when the Jets get 20k crowds as opposed to the 7k true believers out there.

    Also, you forgot to put an asterix next to 'popularity contest'


    And whilst i def dont listen to as much JJJ as i used to, its amazing how streaming services can steer you towards and away from ceetain music.

    I spend on average 2 hours a day in the car and have music playing at work all day. Yet i still never came across that song or artist until yesterday.

    And id def be shocked if the people voting in the hottest 100 are anywhere near regular or heavy listeners of JJJ.

    its become a trendy thing to be involved in, and even trendier to let everyone know what you voted for. (Its always been cool oneway ortheother though).

    The last time real JJJ listeners got their say they used to vote Joy Division as the winner every year thats when they changed the rules.

  10. #1410
    infant member plague's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    13,765
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Triple JJJ has become or at least pretends to be bigger than the music it plays - and that's an entirely new level of ridiculous.
    Alan Jones and Ray Hadley would like a word...............

  11. #1411
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,301
    Plague we had the same phenomenon in the 70's with Led Zeppelin. Yet most so called fans barely knew half a dozen songs - and even more doubtful they actually owned an album. They did have the tshirts though.

    Same with Nirvana... and so on.

    Its the bandwagon

  12. #1412
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    734
    If you listened to much Triple J this year you definitely would have heard them. Their album came out early in the year somewhat, I wanna say around March. Obviously wouldn't have had much airplay in the second half of the year except for maybe December when JJJ tend to do their "yearly summary" rotation.

    I loved their song and was super happy it took out the countdown. Its super groovy and catchy, and a bit of something different to most of what is going around recently.

    Dunster - another JJJ band you might like to check out is Parcels, if you haven't already stumbled across them. I have no doubt they're probably not doing anything groundbreaking, but in terms of the last 10-20 years, they are doing something different. Pretty slick musicians. "Overnight" was the track that first caught my attention a year or two ago, and they put out an album earlier this year. Were on like a version last Friday.

  13. #1413
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    2,533
    There’s fuss about any “vote” all the time. Ballon D’or etc. everyone has their own opinions.

    Bigger problem would be if they rigged the results.

    Tbh I thought Childish Gambino’s This is America was going to win easily when it was first released for the same reason Black Panther has won a heap of awards. Everyone wants to stake their claim to making the world a more inclusive and woke place.

    In hindsight, it feels more “triple j” that a upcoming band not many people outside triple j have heard of have taken out the award than bands that have excessive “mainstream pop station” air time.

    Each to their own. If you’re not a fan, dust off a few vinyls and go nuts. If you are a fan, enjoy.

  14. #1414
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    Each to their own. If you’re not a fan, dust off a few vinyls and go nuts. If you are a fan, enjoy.
    Absolutely..
    My g/f is all about the hottest 100, so are former roommates.. I've had to put up with it being played for years..
    BUT, in that time I've learnt that there is no point going mental criticizing it or bagging it out for whatever reason..
    If they are in to it and enjoy it, then have at it.. I've realised long ago that a lot of the things that I listen to aren't for everyone..

  15. #1415
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,096
    Anyone else get post gig depression and then immediately looks for the next gig they can attend

  16. #1416
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    Anyone else get post gig depression and then immediately looks for the next gig they can attend
    hahaha.. Its a good feeling, mate..
    Embrace it..

  17. #1417
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    hahaha.. Its a good feeling, mate..
    Embrace it..
    I love it until I then see the band I saw playing live on YouTube and wish I could go back in time

  18. #1418
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,242
    Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    I love it until I then see the band I saw playing live on YouTube and wish I could go back in time
    Just don't be one of those "tourists-of-life" that goes to a concert and spends the entire show filming it, watching it through their camera..
    You've missed the entire show AND noone wants to see your sh!tty sounding, poorly filmed, shaky camera work.. Enjoy the moment!

  19. #1419
    Senior Member StannyCFCJET's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Newy
    Posts
    4,096
    Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Just don't be one of those "tourists-of-life" that goes to a concert and spends the entire show filming it, watching it through their camera..
    You've missed the entire show AND noone wants to see your sh!tty sounding, poorly filmed, shaky camera work.. Enjoy the moment!
    Nah I get way into. Dont even take pictures any more. Just mosh and sing till I lose my voice haha

  20. #1420
    Senior Member Bon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    3,242
    These guys. In Sydney. In April..
    Yep..


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •