Page 76 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2666747576777886 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

Standing on the shoulders of giants and all that.....

You could not give away a Gibson Les Paul or a Marshall amp before this recording came out in 1966 - then everyone wanted one.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 31-07-2019 at 05:10 PM.

True story - my son came home one day earlier in the year and announced he had tickets to see John Mayall.

I start falling over myself wanting one, in disbelief the old legend would do a show.

I ask where and he says Qudos, with me thinking surely Lizotte's would host an 85 year old legend.

I ask again and hear...."John Mayer" - my bloody old man hearing!!

John Mayer is a great guitarist - but his music and fan base [no offence] is not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    John Mayer is a great guitarist - but his music and fan base [no offence] is not for me.
    I haven't listened to most of his recent stuff and don't have much inclination to - but if you haven't heard it you should check out the Live in LA recorded show which is up in full on youtube. I came to like a fair few of the songs from that set (although a lot of the album versions I'm not as into)

If John Mayer released a spoken word album of stories about all the hot sorts hes smashed the back end out of it would be the biggest selling album in history and id buy 3 copies.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by goaliepersempre View Post
    yew Open Air Gränichen this weekend.. little festival here in switzerland about 3500 people per day...

with the best bar to work at - Antifaschistisches Pfeffistübli (shot of choice - pepperment schnapps)
    -Enter Shikari
    -Skindred
    -Thy art is Murder
    -Caliban
    -Sick of It All
    -ZSK
    -Less than Jake
    -Ignite
    -After Burial
    -Siberian Meat Grinder
    -Vale Tudo

To name a few.

https://www.openairgraenichen.ch/
    Good stuff mate!
    You working or partying there?

Can't believe how well Thy Art Is Murder are doing these days.. Absolutely crushing it over in Europe and US..

Sick Of It All would be my pick of all the bands to go and see..

My favourite track of his is Comfortable from his debut EP. Just him, a guitar and some well done lyrics, reminiscing about a lost love.

Life of the party
    And she swears that she's artsy
    But you could distinguish Miles from Coltrain
    and
    She thinks I can't see the smile that she's faking
    The poses for pictures that aren't being taken
    I think his lyrics don't get the appreciation they sometimes deserve, lost in the cheesy pop that made him huge. I've very much drifted away from him over the last 10 or so years though. The whole writing battle love and break up ballads after his split with Taylor Swift, the voice box issues and then the country twang in the stuff after that is not my thing.

Meanwhile............

In real music news Tool finally join the present and their back catalogue (the major stuff anyway) will be available on streaming this Saturday.
    New album out Aug 30th and is titled Fear Inoculum. Fingers crossed it's worth the 13 year wait ffs
    Last edited by furns; 02-08-2019 at 01:23 AM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    Meanwhile............

In real music news Tool finally join the present and their back catalogue (the major stuff anyway) will be available on streaming this Saturday.
    New album out Aug 30th and is titled Fear Inoculum. Fingers crossed it's worth the 13 year wait ffs
    Yeah... I'm excited but cautious at the same time.. (I haven't listened to any of the leaked live songs yet, trying to save it for the whole album at once..)
    I wasn't a huge fan of 10000 Days.. While i would still consider it ok, it felt like it was just a bit of a drawn out artsy mess, songs being made unnecessarily long just cause they could be..
    13 years is a long time to wait between new music, and I am afraid that its just not going to live up to the hype.. (I have no doubt it will still be classified as amazing though, as there are enough die-hard Tool/Maynard fans that will take anything that is offered and declare it as gospel - sort of like Mike Patton fans)

In summary, I'm hoping for another Undertow, not another album of 11 minute songs of the same note played artistically....
    Also, I'm pretty excited, I've got Aenema arriving on vinyl this week...

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Good stuff mate!
    You working or partying there?

Can't believe how well Thy Art Is Murder are doing these days.. Absolutely crushing it over in Europe and US..

A bit of both haha... a group of mates are always working at a bar there, part of the committee etc president is a good mate etc Everyone are volunteers, - payment = free beer.

Yeah thy art is murder were the last band to play on Saturday night... pretty big performance.

Sick of it All on friday were real good. German Left wing Punk bad ZSK drew a big crowd, (Smoke and Flares in the crowd haha)

Crazy Weekend... Absolutley dead now...
    Amigos Aarau

Would kill it on a small stage ( or tent stage) at a festy... amazing energy those gents...

Yeah... I'm excited but cautious at the same time.. (I haven't listened to any of the leaked live songs yet, trying to save it for the whole album at once..)
    I wasn't a huge fan of 10000 Days.. While i would still consider it ok, it felt like it was just a bit of a drawn out artsy mess, songs being made unnecessarily long just cause they could be..
    13 years is a long time to wait between new music, and I am afraid that its just not going to live up to the hype.. (I have no doubt it will still be classified as amazing though, as there are enough die-hard Tool/Maynard fans that will take anything that is offered and declare it as gospel - sort of like Mike Patton fans)

In summary, I'm hoping for another Undertow, not another album of 11 minute songs of the same note played artistically....
    Tool for me peaked during the Aenima tour in 96/97. Over flowing bar on the hill show, possibly one of the greatest gigs Ive ever been to. Still got the poster and set list.

All down hill from there as the venues got bigger.

Was on a dive trip on the barrier reef a few weeks later and the sound guy was on the boat with us. He was saying tool were pissed at the venue when they turned up for soundcheck asking who booked them to play a cafeteria. By the end of the show they were set to do an encore which they never do.........the freaking bass amp blew and they didn't come back on.

Title track from Fear Inoculum now available for purchase/streaming. Havent listened yet, Im in a similar boat to Bon - not sure if I want to listen until the whole album is available.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Amigos Aarau

Title track is 11 mins long and definitely feels like it. Would be an amazing 6 min song.

As for you comments about die hard fans, our mate Ham is drilling it down the boys throat as if it's the second coming.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    Title track is 11 mins long and definitely feels like it. Would be an amazing 6 min song.

As for you comments about die hard fans, our mate Ham is drilling it down the boys throat as if it's the second coming.
    Old Hamwise Gamgee.. Hahaha.. I knew he would be frothing up like a blue-swimmer out of water..

I gave 10000 Days another listening in the work truck yesterday (probably been 10 years since I last listened) and was trying to put my finger on what exactly it is about it that I didn't love back in the day..
    Yes, there are long songs, but it actually wasn't as average as I was remembering.. The bass was brilliant, and Danny Carey is insane on the percussion..
    It's not necessarily a bad thing, but a LOT of the songs sounded the same and a lot seemed to start and finish very similarly..
    But that wasn't my issue..

I came to the conclusion that its Maynard's vocals..
    There is a lot of melody in there (once again, not necessarily a bad thing), but it just reminds me of his A Perfect Circle stuff and is totally different than most of the early Tool albums' vocals..
    It didn't feel like there was much feeling or passion in it, like the old stuff..

Yesterday I listened to Ladies of the Canyon - Joni Mitchell. She really pushed the bar with her songs and guitar tunings.

Tool fans probably know this but she was a massive influence on Maynard Keenan and a host of others famous artists as well.

Content aside does the piss poor quality of recordings over the last 30 years or so bother people ?

Iron Maiden re-released their studio albums and they are essentially unlistenable.

No wonder CD is dead when record companies refuse to maximise its potential.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-08-2019 at 02:01 PM.

Iron Maiden re-released their studio albums and they are essentially unlistenable.

wait, there was a time when Iron Maiden was considered 'listenable'?
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    wait, there was a time when Iron Maiden was considered 'listenable'?
    Their recordings were always great - even if you didn't like the content - the mixes and mastering was always top notch.