Page 78 of 96 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088 ... LastLast
Results 1,541 to 1,560 of 1903

Thread: The Music Thread

I would have thought Ian Anderson talking about it would be a pretty decent comment on it, but I guess not.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeth...el-california/

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    I would have thought Ian Anderson talking about it would be a pretty decent comment on it, but I guess not.

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeth...el-california/
    Anderson has been making that speech for 40 years. It can be either taken as him not thinking Felder copied them or that he thinks they did but doesn't want to go down that road - so just has a poke at it being a "tribute".

The only issue really is that Felder was not with the Eagles when they toured with Tull - but he could have been in the audience.
    Felder has also said he's never listened to Jethro Tull - and only knows of them as a band with a guy on flute.

I don't believe him.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 23-08-2019 at 12:24 PM.

You can never pin down who is telling the truth in these plagiarism rumours. I'm sure some do a blatant ripoff, but there would be some where the sound comes from the subconscious and they think they came up with the tune. McCartney thought for days he had heard "Yesterday" somewhere before and was worried about copyright.

It is the ridiculous ones that make the news - "My Sweet Lord" , "Down Under". "Last Christmas". But there are some truly obvious ripoffs where nothing gets done.
    Last edited by Jetmaster; 24-08-2019 at 11:56 AM.

Ok, so now that the new Tool album is officially out..
    What's peoples thoughts?

I still haven't listened to ANY of it yet.. Trying to find the time to sit down and listen properly..
    I have read/heard a LOT of mixed reviews though..

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Ok, so now that the new Tool album is officially out..
    What's peoples thoughts?

I still haven't listened to ANY of it yet.. Trying to find the time to sit down and listen properly..
    I have read/heard a LOT of mixed reviews though..
    I love Tool, but after my first listen it not hearing the hype.

It's a really well produced album, but its not really anything thats massively different to what they have already put out. Long story short, its a Tool album and they haven't changed.

I reserve the right to change my mind on this review once I have listened with headphones and given it a few more spins. Could be the album is a slow burner.......which is normally for me are the albums I keep going back to.

It sounds like Tool. It's completely undifferent to everything else they have done, is unmistakably them and if it hadn't taken 13 years to come out and been behind this massive wave of hype, the overwhelming response would be "this is like all your other shit".

One of the ambient sounding tracks legit sounds like the noise strips on the side of the freeway. We were driving up to Muswellbrook on the weekend and I didn't realise that was the music... thought my mate had fallen asleep at the wheel and was veering off the road.

The more I listen the more I like it, personally. Its definately more Lateralus/10,000 than Aenima/Undertow though so if you're looking for the latter experience you'll be disappointed.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Apart from hearing a snippet of a 20min instrumental in my past, I've never listened to Tool before.

But I just listened to their new album and enjoyed it.

One of my favourite musicians is Ian Kenny, and I was surprised how similar Tool's singer sounded to him at times. I can def vibe when Kenny has his way in Birds of Tokyo or moreso Karnivool where his inspiration comes from.

I'm sure Tool fans will despise me saying this but I got a lot of good vibes from this new album from other albums I like such as a lot of Karnivool, I vibed a fair bit of the more raw Muse stuff, and I even picked up a massive Frogstomp vibe which is still one of my favourite albums of all time not just musically but also contextually.

tl;dr after never listening to Tool before I was surprised how much I enjoyed the new album. One part of one track can only be described as they were euthanizing pigeons but I did love how much fun they seemed to have at times experimenting with sounds.
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I'm sure Tool fans will despise me saying this but I got a lot of good vibes from this new album from other albums I like such as a lot of Karnivool, I vibed a fair bit of the more raw Muse stuff, and I even picked up a massive Frogstomp vibe which is still one of my favourite albums of all time not just musically but also contextually.
    MFKS is at home fuming he didnt come up with a paragraph so ****ingly brilliant.
    well played.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Tool are excellent musicians and that hasn't changed. But once the cheques start rolling in it's very hard to write the same type and quality of songs that made you famous in the first place.
    Rolling Stones as an example really have nothing of note written after 1972 - but on stage they can still hold their own even now.
    Tool are no different, their best work will always be live in front of an audience now rather than in a studio.

But as a business who knows. Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin somehow managed to still sell albums after 1975 - so anything is possible I guess.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 10-09-2019 at 12:10 PM.

I have no issue admitting I think this is brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post

Someone should let Dunster know his account has been hacked

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Someone should let Dunster know his account has been hacked
    Was it you. You have this on permanent repeat in your office....well at least there’s a noise that equally annoying

DEVY in two days. Some reports/reviews/blogs from other shows around the country suggest I am in for a 3.5 hour treat.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    DEVY in two days. Some reports/reviews/blogs from other shows around the country suggest I am in for a 3.5 hour treat.
    Wow... That is impressive!!
    Which venue?
    (I know he has the new album out, but does he only play songs from that particular band or does he do songs from some of his other ones too?)

Enmore Theatre would be my guess.

Edit: York Theatre University of Sydney.

Grim will have a blast. Should be a great show.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 11-09-2019 at 04:27 PM.

Enmore Theatre would be my guess.
    You guessed wrong. He was there last time when it was the full Devin Townsend Project tour for Transcendence but this time it's at the Seymour Centre.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Wow... That is impressive!!
    Which venue?
    (I know he has the new album out, but does he only play songs from that particular band or does he do songs from some of his other ones too?)
    He's on his An Evening With... tour at the moment. It's just him and a guitar, apparently. He did a mini-acoustic set at the Enmore show in 2017 and that was ace. 3 and a bit hours of that sounds excellent.

He is planning an album tour for Empath kicking off with European league in November and December. Not 100% sure on the details but I am pretty sure he is doing a full band entire discography tour... basically headlining and supporting his own mini music festival with solo, DTP, DTB and SYL stuff.

Could probably go in the celeb death thread but Daniel Johnston being dead is probably more musically relevant than Roger Moore dying for the 007th time.

This is probably the song that first got me into Devy. And even then, it wasn't till years later that I really GOT him.

I hope he plays it tonight.

I have multiple issues.

1. Why would multi-millionaires, one of whom is shacked up with Beckham be living in council flats?
    2. They didn't really have each other did they?
    3. Why would such a successful band that makes millions selling to kids be singing to a crowd of ten at the local pensioner meeting?

Seriously this is like music videos of supposed hard rockers jamming hard............But they forget to have the guitars and amps hooked to power..............