• No - move back to Bay 2

2 12.50%
  • slobs (dont know/dont care/etc)

0 0%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

Question Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

GDay all,

As part of a debrief with stakeholders after the WSW game, we have been asked that The Squadron consider relocating for the high risk games to the Western Stand. Current security arrangements for these games are difficult with the design of the Eastern Stand preventing an effective management plan to exit large numbers of away supporters, and keeping them separate from the home support.
    Squadron committee members who attended this meeting stated we wouldnt make a decision on a issue like this on behalf of everyone, we would at least canvass opinion before giving them an answer.

It appears they want us to discuss this swiftly and provide them a response as to whether we are in favour of a move or not so they can liase with the stadium for the next WSW match in early Feb.

As far as we see it we have the following options:

1. Stay where we are in bay 2. Push for away supporters to be relocated to western stand, ideally bay 49/50 and overflow can go into the upper Western (ie for WSW games).
    2. Permanently move to bay 60 in the Western

There is pros and cons for both of these options, but we need everyones opinions over the next few days to be able to see what the general consensus is. Vote on the poll, and post your thoughts and pros/cons below. You might suggest something we havent considered yet. This is for ANYONE to respond to, we are not just after opinions of people who are bay 2 regulars. We would like opinions from as broad a base of Jets supporters as possible.

We are waiting on Jets to get back to us about whether this is even possible, but if we can say that an overwhelming majority of respondents are in favour, and the fact that it doesnt look like memberships are available currently in bay 60 anyway it could be a positive response.

There has also been discussion amongst senior active supporters that moving to the Southern Hill should be an option. While it would definately be everyones preferred option, unfortunately its not possible with the design of the Hill currently and wont be until its completed in the final phase of Hunter Stadium's redevelopment. Which wont happen anytime this decade.
    FFA's guidelines mandate that active support areas must be fully seated bays with dedicated entry/exit points.

If people are in favour of moving, plans would then be to request to trial a switch to bay 60 for the WSW & Phoenix games in Feb and then make a decision whether its a permanent move or not.

ok - gogogogogogogogogo
    Last edited by furns; 06-01-2014 at 06:31 PM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Bay 60 is more of a curve style stand. Will look good if full with active. Plus can see the away support which is always good . We are close to where our players enter leave ground etc so good to. The Stadium plan above doesn't do the bay justice
    Amigos Aarau

Negative no longer on football coverage
    Amigos Aarau

I would have bought squadron memberships all these years if you had been in bay 60, especially with the afternoon games.

Based on that, I voted for bay 60... but feel free to consider my opinion null and void since I won't be a member anymore :'(

no reason you can't still be a member of the squadron grim, $10 goes towards tifo plus you'll get a tenzo membership too should you make the journey up for a game.

Todd - Grim is moving to Adelaide.......

I don't sit in active support, but a question on the move form the outside.

Which stand Western or Eastern is generally the more full of the two. One of the considerations should be which Bay would be better for engaging the rest of the crowd. Bay 60 may fit that bill as all of the Eastern Stand will see you and much of the Western should (at least the lower portion).

Don't really have an opinion as it doesn't affect me, but maybe that is something to think about.

As far as the weather goes though, Bay 60 gets you out of the sun, but you may be singing straight into a NE wind at a lot of the games which could hurt the sound.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I don't sit in active support, but a question on the move form the outside.

Which stand Western or Eastern is generally the more full of the two.
    Western I think cause that's where most members are seated

I'd want to trial it. Its potentially further away from the action so it might be a worse view. But positives is we'd be out of the sun and close to gold members (who is the largest chunk)

I went and checked it v Perth. View is better IMO.
    Out of the sun is without a doubt a massive benefit.

I'm keen to trial it, would be great.

club need to canvas members in bay59/58 as they might not be keen on what they might think could bring trouble.... An unfair, unrealistic and inaccurate opinion that some might have.

Bay60 would be easier for us to self police eediots too.

Snip snip....

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post

There has also been discussion amongst senior active supporters that moving to the Southern Hill should be an option. While it would definately be everyones preferred option, unfortunately its not possible with the design of the Hill currently and wont be until its completed in the final phase of Hunter Stadium's redevelopment. Which wont happen anytime this decade.
    FFA's guidelines mandate that active support areas must be fully seated bays with dedicated entry/exit points.
    Your picture clearly shows the southern concourse as having bays 40-43, which when in NRL configuration is ticketed. These bays clearly have entry/exit points that are just as secure as bay2! Given the popularity with those in the squadron, previously in the squadron and potentially in the squadron, this is an option which MUST be pushed with HSG. Given a crew have now relocated to the corner terrace and the squadron debunked to said terrace in the wet, what's stopping you? IMHO, if you don't move from bay 2 to southern concourse, there will be more in the corner terrace than bay 2 by seasons end.

Anyway, to give you some constructive feedback, stay in bay 2, tarp the ends of bay 2 and 1 to stop people moving down the seats or over the edge of the stand and have the seccos do their job. No ticket, no entry. Sell the $5 upgrade at the entry points if need be. Do the same for the RBB and hold them for 15 mins after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post
    Snip snip....

Your picture clearly shows the southern concourse as having bays 40-43, which when in NRL configuration is ticketed. These bays clearly have entry/exit points that are just as secure as bay2! Given the popularity with those in the squadron, previously in the squadron and potentially in the squadron, this is an option which MUST be pushed with HSG. Given a crew have now relocated to the corner terrace and the squadron debunked to said terrace in the wet, what's stopping you? IMHO, if you don't move from bay 2 to southern concourse, there will be more in the corner terrace than bay 2 by seasons end.

Anyway, to give you some constructive feedback, stay in bay 2, tarp the ends of bay 2 and 1 to stop people moving down the seats or over the edge of the stand and have the seccos do their job. No ticket, no entry. Sell the $5 upgrade at the entry points if need be. Do the same for the RBB and hold them for 15 mins after the game.
    I like this idea. especially the $5 upgrade at entry point for members if remain in bay 2 and holding in RBB

Bay 60 hooligans allez

cards on the table first: i don't sit with the squadron on the few occasions i actually make it to the game. (i am thinking about a membership though as i appreciate the effort/atmosphere/tifo you guys create)

pros:
    1. eastern stand is a complete bitch in summer. that sun - god, got to drink like a fish (not the gary type though) just to stay hydrated. western stand gives better sun protection and probably helps with energy levels.
    2. closer to the better beer service areas

cons:
    1. visibility - if OUR fans move to the western side, you will have effectively zero visibility. ever since the western stand opened, the eastern stand looks just about empty and on TV it looks shit (compounded by the permanent opening of the upper levels of eastern stand). no offence, but the squadron numbers seems to have dropped off recently and moving will just make everybody think we are the mariners mark 2. if you aren't visible on the broadcast 90% of the time, you don't exist.
    2. screwing your own fans - sorry, why is the club considering bending over to assist away fans? if there is a problem with away fans, make the away fans move to fix it! away fans are there at most 1/13 regular season games per season.
    3. precedent - if they move you once to satisfy a slightly sticky situation, how many times will they do it?
    4. confusion - some games you're in bay 2, some you're in bay 60. anybody looking at it will be going: "wtf?"

my general feeling is that moving the squadron is an easy solution for hatamoto/police/club. only reading what furns has said, it looks like complete bull that they can't manage an effective security solution if you are both in the eastern stand. send them out via the northern end 15 minutes after full time, takes an extra 5 minutes to get to wherever, and 20 minutes later most of our crowd has dispersed. simplistic i know, but problem solved.

definitely voting for the squadron to stay in bay 1/2.

cheers for asking for others opinions furns.

By my comment I mean that as someone inside the squadron. That the move excites me. It is a refresh. A new start to engAge a new audience in the western stand. I really think that bay 60 is the best option.

- it will be out of the sun resulting in higher energy levels
    - it is more condensed resulting in better atmosphere.
    - there is better room for colour and banners etc.
    - kick start tifo ideas for a new area resulting in better displays.
    - ability tto include new audiences in the western stand.

all good comments so far. Keep them coming

Quote Originally Posted by northern_swan View Post

Bear in mind I don't sit with the squadron, and I would prefer they were at the end of the stadium, but would the seats at the end of the ground (BAYS 40-43) result in the active support being too spread out laterally to really be effective?

While I agree, they are seated with defined entry/exit points, I am not sure they really lend themselves to the active support due to limited depth.

When I've sat in the eastern stand; usually up towards bay 9-10 I've never heard the squadron.

Moving to the western stand may not be the way to engage the fans in that stand.

And why should the squadron move for some games ? Move the away fans, it's our home ground !

Just to clarify, it would be a permanent move. The stakeholders suggested it for high risk games, but we dont see the benefit in continually swapping.
    The trial run would be to make sure its a positive move before confirming to stay there. Worst case scenario, we try it for the WSW and Phoenix games, if it sucks we swap back and tell them we tried it and it didnt work.

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    When I've sat in the eastern stand; usually up towards bay 9-10 I've never heard the squadron.

Moving to the western stand may not be the way to engage the fans in that stand.

And why should the squadron move for some games ? Move the away fans, it's our home ground !
    Away fans have been moved around before

Its more that we are being given the option first, as nobody had thought to ask us if we WANTED to stay in bay 2 or if we would prefer to move instead.