View Poll Results: Should The Squadron remain in Bay 60 for next season

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - stay in bay 60

    14 87.50%
  • No - move back to Bay 2

    2 12.50%
  • slobs (dont know/dont care/etc)

    0 0%
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 297

Thread: Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

  1. #141
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    171
    cool thanks

  2. #142
    Senior Member howardyou's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Down at the ground
    Posts
    228
    I'm in Bay 55 and the only two negatives would be the Western Stand not being able to see the Squadron as well and also not being visible to the TV cameras. I realise that others have also noted the camera and TV issue stating that this is not the main purpose, however when the rest of the country watches our home games and they see the squadron which gives it a presence in the conscience of the Australian Football Community.

    I enjoy watching the squadron's chants and dancing around and the sound comes directly across to us. Will this be lost now? Who knows - but the trial will be interesting.

    I feel it could be a good move and keeping out of the sun is a massive plus as previously stated by others. As a former member of the Rowdies as a youngster I understand what it is all about. I think you guys should look at other ways of recruitment and this may help. There is a massive youth football community in Newcastle and there is no reason for the hardcore football 16-25 age group not to be singing with the squadron. How do you open it up to these guys? I'm not sure, but engaging them on Facebook would be the first place I'd start. Enticements might work - everybody loves free stuff! Can the club help out with this?

  3. #143
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    57
    OK .. here's my take.

    I have a family membership in Bay 58 (have had it there for the last few years). I used to buy tickets in Bay 3 because it was near (but not in) the squadron but baking in an oven became unbearable .. hence our move to Bay 58. From my perspective, I think it would be fantastic to have the squadron in Bay 60. Over the years as I've looked across it seems that the squadron numbers are less than they used to be (not sure if that's a fact .. just looks that way). I miss that atmosphere from having active support nearby and would welcome this move.

    And Jeterpool .. I think I've worked out who you are?? I 'm the crusty old die-hard who sits 2 rows behind you.
    Last edited by stormypete; 14-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.

  4. #144
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by stormypete View Post
    OK .. here's my take.

    I have a family membership in Bay 58 (have had it there for the last few years). I used to buy tickets in Bay 3 because it was near (but not in) the squadron but baking in an oven became unbearable .. hence our move to Bay 58. From my perspective, I think it would be fantastic to have the squadron in Bay 60. Over the years as I've looked across it seems that the squadron numbers are less than they used to be (not sure if that's a fact .. just looks that way). I miss that atmosphere from having active support nearby and would welcome this move.

    And Jeterpool .. I think I've worked out who you are?? I 'm the crusty old die-hard who sits 2 rows behind you.
    Your right about it getting smaller. It only fills a quarter or less of bay 2 usually

  5. #145
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Lance Yorke Field
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by howardyou View Post
    I'm in Bay 55 and the only two negatives would be the Western Stand not being able to see the Squadron as well and also not being visible to the TV cameras. I realise that others have also noted the camera and TV issue stating that this is not the main purpose, however when the rest of the country watches our home games and they see the squadron which gives it a presence in the conscience of the Australian Football Community.
    I sit in Bay 55 and made a point of looking across at Bay 60. As its on the corner it sits out a bit further from the western stand, so while you can't see it as well as when the squadron is in the Eastern side, it is still definitely visible from the west.

    How it goes for the upper tier though, I have no idea.

  6. #146
    Senior Member lquiquer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    How it goes for the upper tier though, I have no idea.
    From bay 67 at upper tier we can c all the right part of bay 60 where I assume squadron will occupy to be facing the game

  7. #147
    Hamma's best mate Superdylan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,089
    I hope all of bay 60 will be made general admission for this game no added costs at all. Looking very forward to this move.

    Our home numbers in the squadron against western Sydney at home have been appalling both times. Seriously this is a game where we should be filling up 2 bays chanting all game. This is a game we need all partime guys back in the bay.

    What has to be done is a division between family friendly fans, teenagers & adult fans to get bay 60 rocking for this game.

    I want to see beer showers, flags waving all game etc
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

  8. #148
    Senior Member lquiquer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,229
    Should Squadron relocate there?

    1010408_546672015428483_205725707_n.jpg

  9. #149
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,289
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Should Squadron relocate there?

    1010408_546672015428483_205725707_n.jpg
    we have to score and win first

  10. #150
    Senior Member lquiquer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    3,229
    Quote Originally Posted by joel31 View Post
    we have to score and win first
    Just score in the 79th minute without conceding

  11. #151
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    If griffo scores or theres more than 20 peeps in the bay it was meant to be

  12. #152
    Pope of Griffology sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2025
    Location
    Kent, because it sounds like c*nt
    Posts
    4,294,967,295
    Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    I get your point sanch, but after walking out, they then turn around for obligatory photos etc etc
    "Lack of people" could very well be. A result of the location as much as anything. The new western stand has attracted much of the crowd to get out of the sun. Lots of people I speak to who like me haven't been around much list "the ****ing sun" as one key reason for not being in the bays as often, or for as long.
    The sun, really?? Is that what we've become?? I suppose, it would be un-Australian not to whinge about the weather, but deadset, the sun should be far down the list of concerns. It isn't what has driven support away...hell, when support was it it's peak we were having mostly afternoon games with half a western stand not even offering a sliver of shade.

    The problem is one that has slowly evolved, or should I say not evolved. As the original core group of supporters have aged, etc I still can't figure out whether its a case of the older generation not communicating well with the ones coming through and "passing the reigns on" efficiently, or the fact that there's less numbers in the younger generation altogether who actually give a shit....maybe they were too young to value what we lost (Breakers, New Utd), before we got it back again and supported it tirelessly in the hope we would never lose it again?

    Regardless of how it's become what it has, the simple fact of what I'm saying is it has nothing to do with what Bay we're in...as we've seen some pretty darn good times in Bay 1/2. It all comes down to bridging that ever-widening gap between old and new. How we do that, I don't know...but the first step is identifying the real issue, which as I said - isn't where the squadron fetchin' sits.

  13. #153
    in awe of baz GazFish35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,421
    Fair points.

    Hard to pass on what we had/have when very few of those who were there still come.
    Need to get some of the old regulars back so we have something to pass on to the next gen.

  14. #154
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    The problem is one that has slowly evolved, or should I say not evolved. As the original core group of supporters have aged, etc I still can't figure out whether its a case of the older generation not communicating well with the ones coming through and "passing the reigns on" efficiently, or the fact that there's less numbers in the younger generation altogether who actually give a shit....maybe they were too young to value what we lost (Breakers, New Utd), before we got it back again and supported it tirelessly in the hope we would never lose it again?.
    maybe
    A few pts
    younguns dont seem to be committed in large numbers - yep gone soft
    The days of not having a side is too long ago - maybe
    The initial eurphoria is well and truly finished - yep
    The sun is too hot for us pensioners, dont know about the the undrs 25's but does reduce numbers
    results are pretty sh1t so many peeps get a life doing other stuff - pea hearts

    biggest factor! many of bay 2 peeps resent not being 'allowed' to chant what & when they want, 'cant tell me what to do im a hero' etc or 'why cant i do my hutcho is and fvcking cvnt & his mum roots baby kittens chant? (could just make abanner) so they leave. Up until season 5ish most followed regardless.

    generally, got me fked why people who arent in or rarely go to bay 2 care tbh. i dont really give a toss where i stand, names on chairs? just get together, follow the capo make some noise. i know some chants are lame but just go with it. And if you want to introduce something go to tenz pregame and pitch it.

    apart from that fiik
    Last edited by hawk; 20-01-2014 at 10:49 PM.

  15. #155
    Pope of Griffology sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2025
    Location
    Kent, because it sounds like c*nt
    Posts
    4,294,967,295
    I know this sounds a little like back pedaling, but consider it just giving it more thought...

    I suppose in seasons gone by, Bay 1 and 2 was the only spot to really house us. Hence it was a hoot. Now with the Western Stand syphoning some fans I guess it makes sense to relocate and hopefully win a few back. One question that has to be asked is whether or not those active supporters that won't move will be compensated by the new ones you hope to attract or have re-join? I guess it comes down to one thing...are you gamblers? The poll suggests the majority are.

    In saying all of this, when times were tough (even before Gary's return and before our 08' g/f win) I remember Bay 1 and 2 being as thin as it is now. It's always been up and down, and right now it is in a real down...arguably the lowest. But do we ride it out and keep our traditional home of active support (where we have so many fond memories) or do we bow to the ever-present idea of change and take a punt to build something new, or even better, re-ignite the flame of the past?

    All points to consider. My only fear is a lot of voters have rushed at the idea placing faith in the idea of an exciting new fix, while not maybe using as much perspective as they should.

    Devil's advocate I know...but I just want people to think about as much of what they might be losing as well as what they could gain...as I said, this issue is only a very small one in the scheme of our waivering active support.

    Love Sanch, you c*nts.

  16. #156
    Pope of Griffology sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2025
    Location
    Kent, because it sounds like c*nt
    Posts
    4,294,967,295
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    maybe
    A few pts
    younguns dont seem to be committed in large numbers - yep gone soft
    The days of not having a side is too long ago - maybe
    The initial eurphoria is well and truly finished - yep
    The sun is too hot for us pensioners, dont know about the the undrs 25's but does reduce numbers
    results are pretty sh1t so many peeps get a life doing other stuff - pea hearts

    biggest factor! many of bay 2 peeps resent not being 'allowed' to chant what & when they want, 'cant tell me what to do im a hero' etc or 'why cant i do my hutcho is and fvcking cvnt & his mum roots baby kittens chant? (could just make abanner) so they leave. Up until season 5ish most followed regardless.

    generally, got me fked why people who arent in or rarely go to bay 2 care tbh. i dont really give a toss where i stand, names on chairs? just get together, follow the capo make some noise. i know some chants are lame but just go with it. And if you want to introduce something go to tenz pregame and pitch it.

    apart from that fiik
    All good points. I am definitely one of those people that has just "turned up" for maybe 2 seasons now...my singing has become less and less.

    I won't come up with a host of excuses, but I'll offer some justification - As Butch once said to me in V2 after a humiliating home loss where I said I'm not supporting the c*nts anymore..."through thick and thin mate".

    That season I kept turning up, kept singing and we almost made the g/f...a season later I kept doing it and we won the g/f through a magnificent Griff goal. Ever since I've always reminded myself of that after every loss...it's somewhat been my motto and I also used it through a few Azzurri finals upsets until we finally won the big one.
    Flick forward some years and I suppose it ventured to a point where it got so "thin", I didn't enjoy the football anymore...I didn't enjoy the jets, but still paid my membership and went to games just so I was still somewhat sticking through the "thin" and doing my bit as I saw it.

    You can say that what I did was "only singing when winning". I disagree, I haven't really sung when winning either. I have just found it downright difficult to lend my voice to support what I believe has been a poorly performing club as a whole...players, coaches, administration...I hated them all (most anyway), but I loved my memories of the jets which kept me blindly turning up. If people weren't going to sing "We want Gary out" when I tried to get it going or let the club know their dissatisfaction via banners and songs, I wasn't going to partake in the fairy-tale, politically correct dribble that has resulted in GVE hanging around as long as he has. Yes, I am partially blaming the fans for not letting the club know sooner. We are, afterall "the voice".

    I'm not saying the way I supported was neccessarily the right way, but I can say I have supported the team since V1 and while countless people have put in much more time and effort than me (I honestly don't know how you do it, Timmy_v, Furns, Garyfish etc etc) the fact of the matter is my situation represents that of many a fan that isn't well known about, let alone discussed.

    With the return of Griff and the sacking of GVE you see old faces returning. This speaks for itself, in that there was/is an underlying issue much greater than pretty much all the reasoning thus far has produced for a crumbling support. They/I am a type of people who saw the irony in singing for a club full of players and staff who played and acted like they didn't give a shit, yet we were looked upon as the one not giving a shit when we didn't sing??

    With Griff returning, I see a player who has played with heart for the club and loves the town. I believe he can restore something emotional in the players and club...the only player I can honestly say we have at the moment that actively shows the same sentiment is Reegz. I also see the sacking of GVE as not only key to moving toward getting us back on a professional platform comparable to other clubs, but as almost a radical removal of a fatal cancer from football in the region as a whole.

    While I'm still skeptical about what decisions the club makes from here to steer things in the right direction (i.e. they need to get rid of GVE altogether, tell Bridges to hang up his boots and do their best to keep Griff)...I have seen enough in under 2 weeks to show me we're not neccessarily in the "thick" times, but the "thin" seems to be gaining a little weight and I don't hate football now when it comes to the Jets.

    I know I'm not offering solutions to supporter issues, particularly the value of active support relocation...but I think it's offering an explanation of at least one reason why things have reached this point and it's not relative to our geographical position in the stadium.
    Last edited by sanchez; 21-01-2014 at 12:06 AM.

  17. #157
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    17,380
    If people weren't going to sing "We want Gary out" when I tried to get it going or let the club know their dissatisfaction via banners and songs, I wasn't going to partake in the fairy-tale, politically correct dribble that has resulted in GVE hanging around as long as he has. Yes, I am partially blaming the fans for not letting the club know sooner. We are, afterall "the voice".
    oh no, elephant in the room point.
    i think the contemporary active support is less about the controversial issues and more about general support regardless of situation. This came from the never ending bad raps from other jets supporters, media and Jets hierarchy that bay2 received for language, and anti estsbalishment chants when things were bad. To keep the harmony things tamed a little and bay1 took over this for a while until it basically disappeared.

    can we get back talking bout c**ts & f**ks again
    Last edited by hawk; 21-01-2014 at 12:10 AM.

  18. #158
    Pope of Griffology sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2025
    Location
    Kent, because it sounds like c*nt
    Posts
    4,294,967,295
    Quote Originally Posted by hawk View Post
    oh no, elephant in the room point.
    i think the contemporary active support is less about the controversial issues and more about general support regardless of situation. This came from the never ending bad raps from other jets supporters, media and Jets hierarchy that bay2 received for language, and anti estsbalishment chants when things were bad. To keep the harmony things tamed a little and bay1 took over this for a while until it basically disappeared.

    can we get back talking bout c**ts & f**ks again
    That is the problem. Everyone seems to think chanting and singing no matter what the situation will solve the problem, somehow.

    The same people that look to Euro support themes and songs/chants for inspiration, conveniently ignore the effective messages these same supporters send their clubs in the rough times through protests and active "support" displays. And no, I'm not suggesting violent and/or flare protests...

    I'm not going to sit idle, and even worse pretend I support, the ridiculous going-ons at a club. I will voice my support if the club, manager, players etc are doing the right thing, despite the result. But I will also voice my disapproval, again regardless of the result, if the club or people within it are effectively damaging the game as a whole within the region...which I saw as being the case under GVE and with some of the bizarre decisions of the Jets administration over the last 2 years.

  19. #159
    Pope of Griffology sanchez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2025
    Location
    Kent, because it sounds like c*nt
    Posts
    4,294,967,295
    p.s. c*nt, f*ck, shit

  20. #160
    Senior Member Premy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3,693
    Holly $#it Sanch speaks some sense. I thought you were here just for the piss take and to spread Griffolgy. Anyway that said continue with the relocation talk
    Quote Originally Posted by the_butcher View Post
    I support the NCIP

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •