• Yes - stay in bay 60

14 87.50%
  • No - move back to Bay 2

2 12.50%
  • slobs (dont know/dont care/etc)

0 0%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

I reckon it could work. Ive read pros and cons, maybe trial it first, but I reckon it could just be the shake up the squadron need. Hopefully it'll bring more people/bring people back to the active support.

Firstly, I don't sit with the squadron, but I am a supporter.

As others have said why should we have to bend over for away fans. If security can't find a safe way for active support in those "high risk" games, then there shouldn't be any away active support allowed. In my opinion if we are just talking about three particular away fan groups then we should be in discussions with them about the restrictions we will be placing on them when they visit us. We shouldn't be giving them free range over our home ground. If they want to watch their team up here they will have to comply with our restrictions. None of this Wanderers fans buying tickets for every part of the stadium. They should be forced to sit in the away fan bay/s or risk getting kicked out. Just like what they do in England.

As for security not being able to safely contained them I find that hard to believe. Surely all they have to do is tarp one half of say bay seven, then put up one of of those temporary fences you see near construction sites inside the eastern standard. Obviously this needs to include beer and food stores but that should be easy enough to police. If the away area total seating is reduced, that's not the clubs fault.

If that proves to hard for jets admin, then the away fans should be moved and similar precautions taken in the western standard to ensure the away fans are segregated, at least for the high risk games. I don't know how that will go on with the season ticket holders but the club should support their own fans over bending over for away fans.

I am not a fan of the squadron moving arbitrarily, I believe you should stay in Bay 2. We can't let eight seasons of work in bay 2 suddenly disappear. Everyone knows bay 2 is the squadrons bay, and all I can see is the moving causing confusing.

Plus, how dodgy will it look when we have the RBB taking over the eastern stand on TV with no Jets fans in sight.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

I think the positives are, as stated multiple times, the shade Western Stand will provide, and the new audience to engage with,

Negatives, Fox Sports actually want to capture what the Squadron do and yell/chant/sing. The audio wouldn't be an issue, but the visual element could be lost. Unless they set up those remote cameras all the time, as they do for some larger matches (think there was one in front of Bay 2 for the WSW match).
    And the disengaging with the Eastern stand, who have been pretty good in getting behind the Squadron, especially with the easier "Come on Newcastle" and "Jets" chants.

My vote is for a trial at least and see how it fits everybody.

Would it be disengaging? Could you argue that they now know the call and response and would carry it on. the move may then engage the west?

Just a thought.

some good points. Youll notice on any hot arvo bay2 is depleted. bay 60 would help to fix this. Not sure about the view although bay is pretty sh1te anyway.

Northern Swan mentioned the other option of the southern hill behind goals. This is my preferred however as furns has stated elsewhere that it isn't seen as a secured seated area which is needed for active support and is slightly harder to achieve tifo displays.

But... how would the existing southern hillites feel about this?

It's still not going to do anything.

Most people enter through the Western stand or the Southern entry into the Eastern stand.

Now when the match is finished both groups will generally walk in the same direction to get to either the Tenzo or the station so you will still have problems just not at the game itself.

I guess then it becomes a problem for "somebody" else to fix.

SB has brought up a good point, let me explain what the possible plans are.
    The away supporters on the Eastern side would be marched straight out the stadium via the Southern gates, across the Styx and direct to the station.
    The home supporters would be exited via the SouthWestern exits, then down Turton Rd avoiding the away supporters completely.

We have asked numerous times for the away supporters to be exited via the Northern gates at fulltime & blocked from coming further down the Eastern stand concourse on gameday. We have been told that they are not allowed to block off or restrict access on the concourse, and we have been told that there is no way to get the away supporters from the Northern exit to the station. We suggested via the harness racing track, however there is apparently no direct route and the track want to charge the Jets to be able to use it as a thoroughfare.

We have suggested a lot of these options before, we dont just blindly go into every game with no prior planning, however we can only suggest ideas to the stakeholders who provide us with responses as to why they cant or can happen. The general feedback is that the Eastern Stand and the general design around the stadium leaves a lot to be desired with regards to effective crowd flow management.

I hope this provides people with more info.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    SB has brought up a good point, let me explain what the possible plans are.
    The away supporters on the Eastern side would be marched straight out the stadium via the Southern gates, across the Styx and direct to the station.
    The home supporters would be exited via the SouthWestern exits, then down Turton Rd avoiding the away supporters completely.

We have asked numerous times for the away supporters to be exited via the Northern gates at fulltime & blocked from coming further down the Eastern stand concourse on gameday. We have been told that they are not allowed to block off or restrict access on the concourse, and we have been told that there is no way to get the away supporters from the Northern exit to the station. We suggested via the harness racing track, however there is apparently no direct route and the track want to charge the Jets to be able to use it as a thoroughfare.

We have suggested a lot of these options before, we dont just blindly go into every game with no prior planning, however we can only suggest ideas to the stakeholders who provide us with responses as to why they cant or can happen. The general feedback is that the Eastern Stand and the general design around the stadium leaves a lot to be desired with regards to effective crowd flow management.

I hope this provides people with more info.
    To be honest it doesn't matter what they do. It will be impossible to separate the fans. Who's going to walk to the Tenzo the long way when they can take a shortcut through district park?

So it doesn't really matter where the groups are. The most practical and easiest solution would be to hold the away fans at the stadium for 30 minutes until most of the home crowd has gone and have police watching the route from the stadium to the Tenzo. But then could **** with peoples travel arrangements if they rely on the trains to get to the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    To be honest it doesn't matter what they do. It will be impossible to separate the fans. Who's going to walk to the Tenzo the long way when they can take a shortcut through district park?

So it doesn't really matter where the groups are. The most practical and easiest solution would be to hold the away fans at the stadium for 30 minutes until most of the home crowd has gone and have police watching the route from the stadium to the Tenzo. But then could **** with peoples travel arrangements if they rely on the trains to get to the game.
    Problem with that is NSW teams at least a lot will catch the train back and could be forced to miss most suited one if held in 30 mins.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMan View Post
    I think the positives are, as stated multiple times, the shade Western Stand will provide, and the new audience to engage with,

Negatives, Fox Sports actually want to capture what the Squadron do and yell/chant/sing. The audio wouldn't be an issue, but the visual element could be lost. Unless they set up those remote cameras all the time, as they do for some larger matches (think there was one in front of Bay 2 for the WSW match).
    And the disengaging with the Eastern stand, who have been pretty good in getting behind the Squadron, especially with the easier "Come on Newcastle" and "Jets" chants.

My vote is for a trial at least and see how it fits everybody.
    On your fox point.
    I think we need to regain our focus on making noise for the team, not the cameras.
    Part of the issue in bay2 (I feel anyway) is that many are there to be seen in bay2 and not necessarily heard.
    Being "on camera" seems to have attracted the quite types.

What fox want should never take priority over making noise for the team, if we can get bigger number and bigger noise being out of the sun then we've gotta try it.

I also think its worth pointing out the move isn't just 'to accommodate away fans' but to make a positive move from a situation that has arisen.

I'm a member in Bay 58 and while I don't sit with the Squadron I like to chant where I can.

When I read this, I actually spoke to my wife about it. Her response was "I don't care. It'd be good with a bit more noise and improve the atmosphere". I asked if it would put her off coming to which she replied No. I asked about the noiuse and she said it wouldn't bother her because I make enought now as it is anyway

I guess I can make some suggestions and thoughts:

* How often do Fox REALLY zoom in on the Squadron? Sure they use their fised western side cameras but they also have the roving guy who could take that shot if needed. The only shot I would miss is us giving it to the guy in the corner when they take the set piece/corner. The sound can be fixed with a microphone. This is really a negligible issue. We can still abuse the opposition when they come to a corner. The cameraman will have to work harder!

* Positioned out of the sun I honestly think you'll get more people.

* There are more people in the Western Stand. Despite not being called into the "WHO ARE WE" chant there actually ARE people who are chanting it at the time. We're just waiting to be included! This will start to include a whole new group of people who aren't really engaged. They chant every now and then but I think they are an un-tapped area.

* The corner bay will appear more imposing to the eye, in my opinion.

* In saying that, some members will need to be relocated as will the dancing kids who sit there during the game.

Having thought about it I see this only as a positive move. I was originally against it but the more i think about it, the more sense it makes. Plus I won't be the only idiot in Bay 58 singing Never Tear Us Apart - I'll have some help!

Will try come along Sunday to meet a few of you and would be good to discuss more.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I'm a member in Bay 58 and while I don't sit with the Squadron I like to chant where I can.

When I read this, I actually spoke to my wife about it. Her response was "I don't care. It'd be good with a bit more noise and improve the atmosphere". I asked if it would put her off coming to which she replied No. I asked about the noiuse and she said it wouldn't bother her because I make enought now as it is anyway

I guess I can make some suggestions and thoughts:

* How often do Fox REALLY zoom in on the Squadron? Sure they use their fised western side cameras but they also have the roving guy who could take that shot if needed. The only shot I would miss is us giving it to the guy in the corner when they take the set piece/corner. The sound can be fixed with a microphone. This is really a negligible issue. We can still abuse the opposition when they come to a corner. The cameraman will have to work harder!

* Positioned out of the sun I honestly think you'll get more people.

* There are more people in the Western Stand. Despite not being called into the "WHO ARE WE" chant there actually ARE people who are chanting it at the time. We're just waiting to be included! This will start to include a whole new group of people who aren't really engaged. They chant every now and then but I think they are an un-tapped area.

* The corner bay will appear more imposing to the eye, in my opinion.

* In saying that, some members will need to be relocated as will the dancing kids who sit there during the game.

Having thought about it I see this only as a positive move. I was originally against it but the more i think about it, the more sense it makes. Plus I won't be the only idiot in Bay 58 singing Never Tear Us Apart - I'll have some help!

Will try come along Sunday to meet a few of you and would be good to discuss more.
    pretty much a replica of my thoughts.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

I'd just like to add, **** fox.

Football isn't about getting your mug on the telly, we're not the RBB. you should be either supporting the team, watching the game or both.

Bay 60 is the winner

To clarify, I wasn't saying I care about the squadron getting on tv, I just raised the point as Fox might see it (or not as the case may be)

Anyway, it seems as though a vast majority (myself included) are all for a move to the West Side

They need to keep the prices down in Bay 60 to get the kids along.

I was thinking this over.. The corner like being behind the goal allows for people to continue to watch the game but still be in the eyesite of the direction of chants.

It would also be better when we have a critical situation attack or defense and you don't get the whole bay looking right and forgetting to chant now you basically look straight forward. So most people might hopefully continue to chant.

The kurva design like is cool
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    They need to keep the prices down in Bay 60 to get the kids along.
    agreed. price needs to be the same either way

Banned
    Umm as for the issue of where Squadron are located to me this is a separate issue.

My Issue with this matter is different to recent posts

One thing I find quite ironic is that many a time in recent weeks many posters on the Foz have been highly critical of HSG/Jets and RIGHTLY FUC K ING SO for ****ing over their PAYING members to accommodate these ****ing RBB SCUM

Now the club comes to you and asks you to move to accommodate the ****ing RBB SCUM so the club Security/Police can avoid their responsibilities with dealing with them and you ****ers are standing for this and think it is a good idea??

Sure move to the Western Stand if that's what you want to do but I am pretty irritated the Club is asking Jets fans once again to bend over backwards and accommodate these ****ing House Upstarts.

Also you move and what happens to the other couple of thousand in the Eastern Stand. They are still able to be harassed/attacked etc by this RBB SCUM

^ This was why I opposed it initially MFKS, I had the exact same reaction as you, and I was making those same arguments on Saturday.

My advice is to ignore the whole RBB/security issue. That was what initially promted us to think about the move, but it's become much bigger than that now. Now it's about moving to a superior position in the interests of increasing the level of active support. The key part about this is that it's permanent, so ultimately it has nothing to do with security.

We would not be in favour of moving only for the games against Western Sydney. If that's what the police/security/club propose, then I would strongly oppose it for the reasons you have given.

PS I must say, it's been pretty good to see the level of interest in this issue, especially from those outside The Squadron. Good to know that people still give a damn about what goes on.
    Last edited by militiamon; 07-01-2014 at 07:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

I think I speak for 99% of the western stand when i say no, too much noise, beer line too long