• Yes - stay in bay 60

14 87.50%
  • No - move back to Bay 2

2 12.50%
  • slobs (dont know/dont care/etc)

0 0%
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Squadron Relocation: Your thoughts please

I'm here for the Griff first and foremost...I devout myself to the Griffology faith and Griff uses my body as a vessel for delivering his words.

As such, no one can argue with me. Ever.

Not sure if this is active support feedback thread or squadron relocation thread
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    I'm not saying the way I supported was neccessarily the right way, but I can say I have supported the team since V1 and while countless people have put in much more time and effort than me (I honestly don't know how you do it, Timmy_v, Furns, Garyfish etc etc) the fact of the matter is my situation represents that of many a fan that isn't well known about, let alone discussed.
    Turn up, make noise, (any noise) and you're doing it right I reckon.
    And I've done sweet fa for afew years tbh.

Many of the old regulars have drifted away, myself included, for a whole host of reasons, many of the things you speak of I feel too sanch, ad the that the fact that we were all 18ish to 25ish back when it started, now many have kids and real jobs etc etc making it harder to be so committed to something which as you pointed out never really seemed to give back (it was getting hard to enjoy watch 11 blokes care less about the result than we did)

Hopefully with the change of boss, the return of the great one and a bit of mongrel on the park we might see things change in the stadium.

I think things have been passed (or are being passed) over well behind the scenes, the tifo crew has changed considerably and the open day held last week might help that further, a new capo and someone giving Furns' sticks a break might help those who have drifted away see that things have changed or are at least changing.... A move to 60 might make it clearer. Who knows? Its a gamble for sure.

And you couldn't be more right about one thing we need to get our voice back..... But with GVE sacked and griffo back, what can ark up about?

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    That is the problem. Everyone seems to think chanting and singing no matter what the situation will solve the problem, somehow.
    I'm not going to sit idle, and even worse pretend I support, the ridiculous going-ons at a club. I will voice my support if the club, manager, players etc are doing the right thing, despite the result. But I will also voice my disapproval, again regardless of the result, if the club or people within it are effectively damaging the game as a whole within the region...which I saw as being the case under GVE and with some of the bizarre decisions of the Jets administration over the last 2 years.
    But you are assuming that voicing your displeasure will solve the problem. I don’t believe there is a way to guarantee for the problem to be solved, if we can all agree that it is a problem in the first place.

IMO the 90 minutes is for supporting the team, I always clap the team after a game regardless of the result. If I want to voice my displeasure, I will do say in other channels (email, foz). Personally, I rarely publicly criticise footballing matters as I am not funding the club and there is a salary cap in this league. My criticisms are usually levelled at commercial and managerial matters.

How would one go about getting into bay 60 this weekend with a GA membership?
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    Not sure.....your one of the Newcastle lunatics correct?

Really excited for this change, have sat kind of in that area for a couple football games over the years.
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

you can either call the club or on matchday goto the ticket office and request to change your membership.

they will make you pay the difference though on a reserved ticket thought, so it might be $5.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

hawk and I were talking about this in Gosford.

The advice I can only really offer is this: go where the energy is.

At the Gosford Hotel, you had those Garden Suburb guys chanting up a storm, leading chant after chant, some really quite funny, but they apparently don't join in during the game.

Back when I was administering the Squadron, I would have ran straight up to them and got them to contribute as much as they were willing to. Let them have the megaphone for half a game, or let them start chants and have the capo alert to it and look to join in. I always did this when I saw someone in the area who did something interesting.

Also Sanchez was trying to start a few chants at the ground and the capo wouldn't take it up.

This is where I think things have gone wrong. We have a capo that may not reflect the mood or energy or fun, or the "message" people in the Squadron want to communicate. Even if the leadership group prefers the Euro support, you should give these guys a run because if people in the bay don't like Euro support, then they are just going through the motions, not getting really into it. Mix it up and see what happens.

I suggest you look at the role of capo more as a facilitator than a leader. If things are quiet, then the capo will take a leadership role to get things happening but if there is an energy inside the bay where people are starting stuff up, then the capo should encourage it, because people will have more fun that way. Some of the best times I had in the bay was singing "rockin all over the world" and stuff like that that came from within the bay, not from the capo.

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    hawk and I were talking about this in Gosford.

The advice I can only really offer is this: go where the energy is.

At the Gosford Hotel, you had those Garden Suburb guys chanting up a storm, leading chant after chant, some really quite funny, but they apparently don't join in during the game.

Back when I was administering the Squadron, I would have ran straight up to them and got them to contribute as much as they were willing to. Let them have the megaphone for half a game, or let them start chants and have the capo alert to it and look to join in. I always did this when I saw someone in the area who did something interesting.

Also Sanchez was trying to start a few chants at the ground and the capo wouldn't take it up.

This is where I think things have gone wrong. We have a capo that may not reflect the mood or energy or fun, or the "message" people in the Squadron want to communicate. Even if the leadership group prefers the Euro support, you should give these guys a run because if people in the bay don't like Euro support, then they are just going through the motions, not getting really into it. Mix it up and see what happens.

I suggest you look at the role of capo more as a facilitator than a leader. If things are quiet, then the capo will take a leadership role to get things happening but if there is an energy inside the bay where people are starting stuff up, then the capo should encourage it, because people will have more fun that way. Some of the best times I had in the bay was singing "rockin all over the world" and stuff like that that came from within the bay, not from the capo.
    Most sensible thing I've read on the topic

I agree with what you are saying, also think we have tried pretty hard to reduce the use of the mega at more recent games.

Derby was hard as little noise was reaching the front from the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Not sure.....your one of the Newcastle lunatics correct?

Really excited for this change, have sat kind of in that area for a couple football games over the years.
    Sure am mate I'm going to try to convince the lads to head over to bay 60 for this game. Couple of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and love to criticize from the outside, if anything I can say I at least tried.

However
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyNovo View Post
    you can either call the club or on matchday goto the ticket office and request to change your membership.

they will make you pay the difference though on a reserved ticket thought, so it might be $5.
    getting them to reach into their own pocket for something they may not be interested in doing is going to be hurdle.
    Has there been any discussion with the club about letting GA members in Bay 60 for this trial without the extra charge? Body, Blackmac, Furns???
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Quote Originally Posted by hausmann View Post
    We tried to join in and I think we done the best we could for not knowing all tge songs, couple of things but.
    1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere.
    2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger.
    3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

We tried to join in and I think we done the best we could for not knowing all tge songs, couple of things but.
    1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere.
    2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger.
    3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.
    Awesome Premy. I didn't know you were part of that group. Really well done. I was really impressed and the atmosphere at the pub was so great because of what you guys did.

See, this stuff should never happen. Nobody should turn their noses up at guys who can sing for two straight hours in a pub, getting people to join in. You all produce a great amount of sound and would be a great asset to any supporters group.

In season 1, I spotted Argy throwing a small bit of confetti one game when we were still on the hill and I went straight up to him and asked him to help others do what he does. Then by Season Two we were going to the ground together and set up all those material streamers, hours before anyone else got there. He made such a great contribution to support in the early years and it may not have happened if I wasn't on the lookout for people who could contribute something.

1-As I said in the last comment a few of the lads have tall poppy syndrome and are more happy to point and laugh at the Squadron rather than get involved and help create the atmosphere. Took Notice and appreciated this.
    2-When the boys did try to start a chant they got overruled by the megas which in general helps make point 1 bigger. apologies. As i stated above it was really hard to hear what was coming from the back. Appreciated though. Just keep going louder eventually we will hear
    3-Back at Gosford Hotel we tried to get everyone outside involved in our songs only to have most turn their nose up at us giving the impression their better than us, which only goes to make point 1 bigger.apologies on this however the guys outside were doing their own bit, and I suppose in the same way no-one tried to control the songs at the pub with you guys, we were not trying to control those outside either.
    I can't answer your question about the bay60 tickets. That is one for furns.

Interested to know where all the squadron hate comes from. We have tried pretty hard this season to be open. Anyone can sign up as a member and have their say. The new committee is pretty open to discussion and for people to come and see them. It is no secret who is who most of the time (as there was an article on the front page of this site with all our names and forum names etc.) and we have had open tifo days, put buses on, been transparent as possible, even tried to engage more of the crowd through a call and response chant which has been pretty hit and miss, and yet there still seems to be a fair amount of anti-squadron sentiment around.

I know we have actively tried to discourage some things (Celery chant for example, its rubbish), but on the whole we have been pretty open to different styles of support and working with anyone that is willing to lend a hand and keen to get involved. This is true even as recently as Coast away where a guy who made a standard and put in 90minutes of effort was singled out as someone worth congratulating for their effort by the committee.

I suppose I ask out of personal interest, I just don't get it. How can people hate the group that is creating an atmosphere that I think the majority of the crowd enjoy and appreciate? If the squadron were not there I don't think the atmosphere on game day would be the same? nor do I think as many people would enjoy themselves at the games? or am I thinking too highly of active supporters?

I do have a certain tint of glasses on.
    Last edited by Blackmac79; 29-01-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    I suppose I ask out of personal interest, I just don't get it. How can people hate the group that is creating an atmosphere that I think the majority of the crowd enjoy and appreciate? If the squadron were not there I don't think the atmosphere on game day would be the same? nor do I think as many people would enjoy themselves at the games? or am I thinking too highly of active supporters?
    My observation on this is that the negative opinions come out more when the supporters group is weak in numbers. In season 1 there was similar vitriol directed at it by people saying we were embarrassing. The comments disappeared when the numbers exploded.

I think its a kind of "attack the runt" mentality where something perceived as weak is attacked.

But the numbers are affected by how exciting the team is on the pitch so there is not a lot of control you have in it.

Blackmac, my question is whether or not you actively approach people that you see doing something good and encourage them to do more? Someone who shows some passion is probably going to be in for a bit more involvement. Someone who makes good standards might be willing to make a few more and give them to people to display during the game. I was crap at making standards but i loved holding up Chooky's Southpark designs.

I don't think its good enough to say you are available or approachable. I think you guys are the ones that have to do the approaching as people aren't going to become more involved unless they are approached in a friendly way and asked. A loud group of singers can be encouraged to lead the chanting, and inject their own chants, someone who throws confetti can bring enough for a group of people, someone who makes standards can bring a number of them and hand them out. Not all people want to be involved in a committee or in organising things but they can expand what they do to bring others in without much trouble.
    Last edited by hausmann; 29-01-2014 at 07:56 PM.

The lad I spoke of in my comment at coast away was approached and is becoming more and more involved each day. I agree that approaching people who put in the effort is important to growing the numbers of the core group and getting fresh faces and ideas involved.

Some great points haussmam. I do think abit of fun needs to come back in the bay. I brought 8 red and blue streamers on Saturday for the derby.

Me and my family before I was in the squadron starting bringing streamers and confetti for bay 3. I was even bringing confetti at later parts of season 4. Sure it makes abit of a mess but the vacuums they have are pretty good aren't they?

Agree some people are not willing to be apart of small numbers, maybe it's a mentality thing, personality or trying to not be seen on tv but I've been apart of the squadron/active support when there's only a couple people singing on some away games.

I'm still new, I decided to join/help out when their numbers dwindled. I havent really been approached (I think theyre scared of girls!) I've had to introduce myself to people, often to be dismissed or forgotten the next week. Ive made the effort myself to make friends and its slowly getting there. Slowly.
    FYI my first time I squadron was THAT Wanderers game!
    From the outsode looking in, alot of people just see squadron as a bunch of drunks that start fights within themselves. I still get told to get out if it! Having met most of the comittee I can see that they love thier team and have a passion for telling them so for 90mins.

I Agree with you blackmac and I commend the job you lads do, I would love for my mates to give you guy's a chance.
    I also don't understand where the hatred comes from but I put it down as it's easier to criticize you and make fun of you rather than, trying to help and being laughed at themselves.
    The solution I don't know? I've decided that when ever I hear one of my mates put you lot down in future, I'm going to ask them what they're doing to help the situation. Will this help? Probably not... At the the end of the day one of the big reasons I go to the football is to catch up with my mates so I'm going to be a sheep and follow the heard.
    I'M GULLIBLE!

I Agree with you blackmac and I commend the job you lads do, I would love for my mates to give you guy's a chance.
    I also don't understand where the hatred comes from but I put it down as it's easier to criticize you and make fun of you rather than, trying to help and being laughed at themselves.
    The solution I don't know? I've decided that when ever I hear one of my mates put you lot down in future, I'm going to ask them what they're doing to help the situation. Will this help? Probably not... At the the end of the day one of the big reasons I go to the football is to catch up with my mates so I'm going to be a sheep and follow the heard.
    The Jolly Roger & I will come over to Bay 60.