Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Bridges Time to Go

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    If I had a Michael Bridges for every time I have heard this line... I'd have too many Bridges then bench spots.

Why are we constantly needing to turn things around, shouldn't our game breaking, creative mid who's apparently bashing the door down for more minutes / a starting spot already be contributing to turning things around. Maybe just maybe it's because this club has not only reached new lows as far a player recruitment and output but they have gladly accepted this depressing level of mediocrity.

FFS our ambition is measured by our desire to finish in the lowest 45% of our league...really is that it.

Why have we not recruited better visa players, why have we not got adequate cover for our right & left backs why have we not even got an actual left back on our books, why does this club insist on playing players out of position, why is a 35 yr old retiree seen as our only "impact" player ( & when exactly is he going to start producing this impact on games), why don't consistent youth performances warrant rewards, why are we so incompetent when it comes to transfers, why is it still a case of jobs for the boys, why are essentially rookie coaches being thrown to the wolves, where is the overall strategy, where is the structures' professional club we were told we were going to get.... but hey lets not ask questions, people might take offence at one of them. Let's not strive for anything greater then watching under performing players demand they want extra minutes, cause they are nice blokes or can do an occasional back heel or can camp around the corner flag on command.

Bridges is not the sole problem, but he is ticking a hell of a lot of my boxes of grievances with how the club is being run at the moment and I'm not just going to sit in the corner and pretend its not happening.
    +1
    What he said.
    IAWTC
    Vote 1 Pico

Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    This to me is the biggest problem our club and the league has. A successful season is possibly finishing in the bottom half of the league that is ruled by a salary cap.
    Top 6 in a 10 team comp is a complete joke and to then have clubs aim for the season to purely be in that 6 is even worse.
    Every single team should come out year after year thinking they are a shot at the top 2.

I just cannot see why people sit here and blame the players and plan to boo the players. The fact is the club has put a squad together which is just not of a good enough overall standard.
    In saying that, i think majority of our players are certainly a-league level, the problem is we lack of those couple of players with extra quality that other teams seems to have (broich, milligan, berisha, spiranovic, hernandez, miller, carusca etc)
    One of the reasons why reaching the top 6, or 6th place is viewed as an achievement, is because of the importance placed on the grand final. You can win the grand final, which is a bigger achievement is Australia than winning the league, by finishing in 6th spot. ( I do not know if that has been achieved in the A League) In that regard why come 1st or second, when 6th us just as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Pico View Post
    Why have we not recruited better visa players, why have we not got adequate cover for our right & left backs why have we not even got an actual left back on our books, why does this club insist on playing players out of position
    because cash. we don't have enough people handing over money for what the club is selling. everyone should take some personal responsibility for this.

Banned
    Absolutely great to see some serious passionate debate about our club.

Whilst we are shit and mediocre it is glad to see so many C Bombs F Bombing Care

Shame this passion isn't reflected in our players and admin.

Taylor Regan Hooley and Griffo excused

Wrt the visa spots, Baartzy and Middleby themselves said its not just the coach who signs the players. IMO, while baartz and Middleby in particular are in charge of our club we will NEVER be successful.

Lets just face it, the lunatics are running the asylum, and it shows.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Wrt the visa spots, Baartzy and Middleby themselves said its not just the coach who signs the players. IMO, while baartz and Middleby in particular are in charge of our club we will NEVER be successful.

Dead right even though criticism of Baartz may draw the evil eye from some quarters. I don't know if he is hired help or free help but nonetheless it still needs to be good help. He also has been a party to some monumental cock up decisions.

The Football Operations Manager Nick DeLuca has some input into signing players. He does a lot of the negotiations with players.

This conversation is so good I haven't checked the sheep quiz or gone through the tennis thread all arvo!
    WE DON'T DO WALKING AWAY !

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by leftrightout View Post
    This conversation is so good I haven't checked the sheep quiz or gone through the tennis thread all arvo!
    It is exactly how the Foz should be

Quality passionate debate on subjects.

Whether we agree or not is irrelevant. Life isn't one great circle jerk. Nor should opinions on our club be

Banned

Reading David Lowe's blog yesterday on the Herald Website someone brought up recruitment at the Jets. Lowey admitted that although he was employed as a Recruitment Manager he had **** all to do with the recruitment for the first team.

Seems rather alarming that a bloke being paid to do recruiting for the club had little input on first team recruiting. I would assume GVE had a big say but who were the others involved in these decisions??

Doesn't seem to me like a job at all for RM or TP.

They should be doing the contracts and negotiations with players and organising the little things properly like F Bombing Clearances for players (Hello Griffo)

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    It is exactly how the Foz should be

Quality passionate debate on subjects.

Whether we agree or not is irrelevant. Life isn't one great circle jerk. Nor should opinions on our club be
    Good post member

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Reading David Lowe's blog yesterday on the Herald Website someone brought up recruitment at the Jets. Lowey admitted that although he was employed as a Recruitment Manager he had **** all to do with the recruitment for the first team.

Seems rather alarming that a bloke being paid to do recruiting for the club had little input on first team recruiting. I would assume GVE had a big say but who were the others involved in these decisions??

Doesn't seem to me like a job at all for RM or TP.

They should be doing the contracts and negotiations with players and organising the little things properly like F Bombing Clearances for players (Hello Griffo)
    Middleby said in that video from last week that signing a player requires approval from the coach, RM, RB, TP (what the **** he has to do with it is beyond me) etc. The fact that the coach can't say I want Berisha, get him CEO, without everyone having their two bobs worth will explain why it TAKES ****ING FOREVER for any of our contract and transfer business.

This returns to my original point, it starts at the top, and Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

The chants should be Middleby Out.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Banned
    Middleby said in that video from last week that signing a player requires approval from the coach, RM, RB, TP (what the **** he has to do with it is beyond me) etc. The fact that the coach can't say I want Berisha, get him CEO, without everyone having their two bobs worth will explain why it TAKES ****ING FOREVER for any of our contract and transfer business.

This returns to my original point, it starts at the top, and Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

The only thing that TP or RM should be contributing to the cause is this
    How much money is available in the salary cap
    How long do you want to sign him ideally for
    How much do you think he is worth.

Neither of these blokes should have any say at all on discussing the merits of said players skills or how they fit into the tactics/formation/club

F Bomb ING SIMPLE REALLY

After they get feedback from the coach then they go off and do the negotiations, arrange a F BOMBING Clearance and a proper F Bomb ING Medical and then pick the C Bomb up from the airport and drop him at Ray Watt

I know the years under Con were a rollercoaster road riddled with instability but 4 out of those 5 years we made the finals, with 3 of those 5 years finishing amongst the top four.
    I think at the time we underestimated the knowledge of guys like Remo had in putting together a football team and the passion Con had for the game and his team. Yes, they stuffed up a lot of the time (the debacle after the GF win) but at least on the field for the majority of those years we had a team to be proud of.
    In our fourth season now under HSG we have just stagnated as a club

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    I know the years under Con were a rollercoaster road riddled with instability but 4 out of those 5 years we made the finals, with 3 of those 5 years finishing amongst the top four.
    I think at the time we underestimated the knowledge of guys like Remo had in putting together a football team and the passion Con had for the game and his team. Yes, they stuffed up a lot of the time (the debacle after the GF win) but at least on the field for the majority of those years we had a team to be proud of.
    In our fourth season now under HSG we have just stagnated as a club
    Stagnated or Regressed???

I feel we are actually going backwards more than anything.

Decisions being made are just bizarre

CON IN!!!

At least when he screwed us over we knew he thought it was best for the club, not just due to pure incompetence.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Middleby is the bigger issue the club is facing, as opposed to Bridges.

I love you Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by premy View Post
    imo bridges will always get my respect (much like lucas neill with the national team) the bloke needs to realize his time is up (the send off he got in sydney last season should of been a big hint for him). If his going to be a good manager he needs to learn how to make decisions that are for the benefit of the club not himself.
    ^^this
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Quote Originally Posted by De-Champ View Post
    One of the reasons why reaching the top 6, or 6th place is viewed as an achievement, is because of the importance placed on the grand final. You can win the grand final, which is a bigger achievement is Australia than winning the league, by finishing in 6th spot. ( I do not know if that has been achieved in the A League) In that regard why come 1st or second, when 6th us just as good.
    No, 6th hasn't. As far as I can remember, only once has a team who didn't finish 1st or 2nd go on to win. I think Sydney came 3rd the year they went down to Melbourne and won the GF in a shootout. So the finals series still has value, and the best teams are usually left to compete at the end. Imagine what these seasons would become if it was first past the post?? Everyone outside of Brisbane and West Sydney would have deserted the comp 2 months ago.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    No, 6th hasn't. As far as I can remember, only once has a team who didn't finish 1st or 2nd go on to win. I think Sydney came 3rd the year they went down to Melbourne and won the GF in a shootout. So the finals series still has value, and the best teams are usually left to compete at the end. Imagine what these seasons would become if it was first past the post?? Everyone outside of Brisbane and West Sydney would have deserted the comp 2 months ago.
    GF Winner has always been the team that finished 1st or 2nd.

A couple of teams have made GF from 3rd but haven't won it