Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Euro Style chanting vs British style chanting

Euro Style chanting vs British style chanting

Serious question here , where do most of you guys sit on this issue?

It's obvious that most of the senior members of the squadron aren't keen on the idea of moving towards a British style chanting but I think it deserves some thought.
    I personally think it would create a wider participation from the crowd and would be more beneficial to the players but that's just what I think....

Interested to hear your thoughts

good post

on Friday night we made a concerted effort to do a solid mix between the 2.

old favorites including oh when the jets were brought back in to action and i thought it worked well.

we also scrapped the mega for most chants for the night bar an extended period in the second half when the Melbourne goal was scored.

while my preference is towards to European stuff, i know the British chanting has its place in Newcastle

i think it should be more about getting a good mix of the 2 instead of choosing one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!

First i want to say that i prefer the euro-style chanting.

second -I think rather that your statement that the senior squadron is unwilling or not keen to compromise is unfair. As body has stated we have made an effort to adjust what we do to be inclusive of all people and styles. We are constantly looking for ways to be more inclusive and increase quality of our support. We have recieved many comments about this and have discussed and made adjustments accordingly.

third - you can see the difference between the two styles when the new NCL group, who are mainly using british style chants are spending large portions of the game not actually chanting or singing at all. Where as the squadrons euro style is continuous with lesser breaks. These breaks however were more present on friday night due to the changes that body discussed above.

forth - british style is more reactive to what is occuring in the game, while euro you sing no matter what, was good to see that there was no change in the support even when melbourne scored on friday and the squadron stopped singing.

fifth - nothing I have said is meant as a slight at anyone prefering either style. I would like to see a good mix with in the squadrons song list so as to satisfy everyone.

sixth - I personally will not sing that shit rangers chant that the NCL are trying to get going. I actually find it quite offensive.

Euro style FTW.

like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing. variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.

the Brits may have started it, but the Euros perfected it.

I will not sing oh when the jets; ever! shit chant is shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post

sixth - I personally will not sing that shit rangers chant that the NCL are trying to get going. I actually find it quite offensive.
    how's this one go?

It's a blue order chant. Hullo hullo. Celebrating genocide in Scotland by a ****ing tyrant

sounds good we should sing it more often

i thought you were a proddo anyway

I would prefer songs with 2 verses followed by a chorus whether this fits english or euro do not really care tbh. Songs about who we are, pride etc. Ones with an uplifting beat etc, these chants are alot easier to keep going, these get sung at the top of the lungs. Ones that aren't used by other a-league groups to that style etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32Snks6C0mQ like the rbb's call to arms

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg-5vs0Vk38 or an example of an overseas team Botafogo (Brazilian top league)

Probably the most creative chant we have come up with in recent years has definitely been.....where newcastle, where wonderful, where gonna sing, clap, chant until we score & has been perfected now it has different styles of how its done.
    Last edited by Superdylan; 13-01-2014 at 05:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

I'm not going to stop trying until I see you smile Mitchy's Avatar
    Euro
    Novocastria Youth

Yoorow
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

I think a mix but I'm leaning more to Euro as it makes chants more organised and as Blackmac pointed out keeps going for 90 mins

Adding a poll to this thread would be appropriate

It's all good.

Aussie

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    Euro style FTW.
    like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing. variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.

the Brits may have started it, but the Euros perfected it.

I will not sing oh when the jets; ever! shit chant is shit.
    We've had worse euro chants. Just do some of both. Q made up one ages ago that never got a decent run imo.

Those ncl chants are fine.

up the proddos >>>> continent

I think everyone has to come and do a stint over here
    Amigos Aarau

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmac79 View Post
    third - you can see the difference between the two styles when the new NCL group, who are mainly using british style chants are spending large portions of the game not actually chanting or singing at all. Where as the squadrons euro style is continuous with lesser breaks. These breaks however were more present on friday night due to the changes that body discussed above.

forth - british style is more reactive to what is occuring in the game, while euro you sing no matter what, was good to see that there was no change in the support even when melbourne scored on friday and the squadron stopped singing.
    Personally, I prefer the Euro style.

But what if the constant need for the individual to subjugate themselves to the collective goal of continuous noise is what is driving people away? People are being given the choice of either assimilating into the group or being coerced by the power of the megaphone, drum and large numbers. It is the way you encourage people to join in that matters. People don’t like being given a Hobson’s choice (i.e. Sing or Fvck Off). This is where I believe the Squadron’s reputation for exclusivity stems from.

So what if there is more quiet time for people to start own chants? Let people realise their chant didn’t get up because it was a terrible one and don’t let them stand on the excuse that it didn’t get up because someone overpowered then with a megaphone.

Ideally, the Eurolovers, whom are smaller in number, would sing constantly through the game with the help of the mega and not give a fvck what other people are doing (we sing for the team not for the fox microphones). And in moments when the game is exciting, the Anglolovers will start chants which will galvanise a large amount of the crowd and lift the team. A symbiosis if ever there was one.

All this can be achieved in our current set up, it just requires a bit of tinkering by the people who have influence over others.

like any good orchestra you need someone to lead and it helps stop bell ends from starting up drunken nothing noise that is just embracing.
    An orchestra is extremely hierarchal and a rock band doesn’t have a conductor. Which form of music is more popular? Lol @ you telling anyone they are embarrassing.

variation is good but a constant stream of sound/songs/chanting is better than long periods of quiet because we're all too busy thinking about how much we suck than making a show of support to the lads on the pitch by keeping the songs/chanting/noise going.
    A constant stream of sound being superior to a variation of chants is only your opinion, not a self evident truth.

TLDR; bring back the fun, enough euro cultural appropriation.

PS the reductio ad absurdum of euro chanting is to play a pre-recorded soundtrack of chants over the stadium PA system.

Quote Originally Posted by selassie View Post
    Whateva' he said, then I'm that....breakit down redman..

I agree with your points sla.

I also dislike the idea of sing of **** off. I think actively involving the people not singing by surrounding them with people who are is far more effective. e.g. Commie having his 5 minutes giving it the big ones the other day got everyone around him fired up in the heat.

I believe the mix you mentioned was achieved at the victory game.

I think you're all racist. Should be singing much more North American styled songs.

We should also tear our town upside down and riot when we win.

Newy Jetz Rulz...hoo-ha!