Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 State Cup

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Would agree with you General that up until half time Southy looked better than last year and they seem to have a good striker in Wallace although not sure how good you can be suspended and he will need to cut that rubbish out.

That said , Maitland for me dominated second half and looked likely to win had the game gone a bit longer.

How ref never gave Southy a penalty was incredible as I was right in line with it and it was a stone wall penalty.

Another bye for Edgy ... will they be first team in history to win a cup without kicking a ball Ha Ha
    Redraw! - pull teams out of the hat again for rd 2!

I think a really good draw for Valo and gives chance for progress into next round for NewFM side.

Quote Originally Posted by NewFM 2014 View Post
    Would agree with you General that up until half time Southy looked better than last year and they seem to have a good striker in Wallace although not sure how good you can be suspended and he will need to cut that rubbish out.

That said , Maitland for me dominated second half and looked likely to win had the game gone a bit longer.

How ref never gave Southy a penalty was incredible as I was right in line with it and it was a stone wall penalty.

Another bye for Edgy ... will they be first team in history to win a cup without kicking a ball Ha Ha
    Agree with the penalty call. It Was pathetic.I actually thought Southy could have scored 4 after they conceded. I wrote them off earlier, but they may suprise me this year. Was anyone surprised with how Maitland played? They seemed to just boot it up the park. I was slightly disappointed.

tips
    edgy
    Olympic
    valo
    Charlestown
    jaffas

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post
    Agree with the penalty call. It Was pathetic.I actually thought Southy could have scored 4 after they conceded. I wrote them off earlier, but they may suprise me this year. Was anyone surprised with how Maitland played? They seemed to just boot it up the park. I was slightly disappointed.
    I actually thought it was a good open game and thought neither team booted the ball up the park , funny how people see a game differently... As for 4 goals , i struggle to remember there even being 4 shots clear shots at goal and that is inclusive of the two goals.

hopefully Valo can keep NewFM flag flying high in state cup as I think they can potentially knock of Weston.

Big fan of the NPL/newfm clubs playing at zone league grounds this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    thanks, a sponsor on the front would make it even better
    go and ask STEGGLES They will jump at it..
    ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by cobra23 View Post
    go and ask STEGGLES They will jump at it..
    ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by namwob99 View Post
    Big fan of the NPL/newfm clubs playing at zone league grounds this weekend.
    What a joke!!! If it was a comp that your Zone League teams competed in on the same level as NPL/NEWFM then I wouldn't have an issue but you want to get a piggy back into the final stages of the comp along with the benifit of hosting the better sides? I've said it before and I'll say it again, this comp is a farce!

I like Westy and hope the survive but the fact that they have a round in this comp is wrong in my opinion.
    They couldn't field a side to compete in the comp so why take an opportunity off a club that are competing and give them the chance to raise some coin? I'll go out on a limb and say that the fed will hand Westy the NEWFM Grand Final also.

Don't mind that they're giving a round to Westy tbh.

I have a lot of sympathy for the situation they're in currently, without knowing too much detail about how they got there. They're still one of the older clubs in Newcastle (and I assume Australia) and I think for the sake of hosting a few cup games to get some canteen revenue etc, I'm happy for the fed to give them that kind of helping hand. Also, the facilities aren't the worst in Newcastle and the field is decent (although the grass is a bit long & heavy this year).
    OK

All clubs were given an opportunity to host games, not many put there hand up due to youth league committments

I must agree with Zico re: the State Cup, not necessarily the criticism of hosting clubs as I think any club could apply to host and why not. They take the NRL to inferior bush grounds so if blokes on $600 000 a year can suck it up then so can the best of Newcastle Park Footballers.

As a club newly promoted to ZL1 I guess the thought of playing one of the big guns can be seen as daunting by some, but I believe most would see it as an opportunity. We at Jesmond would.

I think it was 2010 we drew Weston straight up. We embraced the occasion and after 25-30 mins it was 0-0, we had defended with all we had and even went close to going up 1-0. They ended up putting double figures past us from memory, but we played it in the right spirit and were beaten by a far superior team who I think went on to win a trophy that year. Where's the harm in that? So our place in Newcastle Football was confirmed and we move on!

Maybe the correct mix is to exclude NBN and 2HD teams from round 1 and introduce 2HD round 2 and round 2 or 3 NBN jump in, similar to the FA Cup. At present if a zone league team has a good run against relatively similar opposition we have to look forward to not only playing a team from a superior level, but one of the stronger ones that have beaten their rivals already.

Anyway, it's a bit of fun and a brilliant idea that juts needs tweaking. Good luck all.

As most ZL clubs probably only started training 4 weeks before 1st state cup round, would be more beneficial to start it a few rounds into the regular season to give teams time to get their match fitness up, team strategies etc I like the idea you put up ramsbelong@jesmondpark as the new fm and NBN sides would definitely see better quality opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by JCBT View Post
    I like Westy and hope the survive but the fact that they have a round in this comp is wrong in my opinion.
    They couldn't field a side to compete in the comp so why take an opportunity off a club that are competing and give them the chance to raise some coin? I'll go out on a limb and say that the fed will hand Westy the NEWFM Grand Final also.
    I can tell you that it was an approach to the club to host the games not a request. And after seeing the field today (barring excessive rain tonight) no club will be disappointed with the surface they are being provided.

Any complaints about some wear in the South Western corner should be directed to the NPL coaches who decided to play spend the entire day in one corner of the field rather than move around occasionally. No accounting for some I guess.

I think as with the NPL the venue for NewFM would already be decided. Last year Wembley did host a Zone League GF and will offer to do so again.

The club is being transparent as possible with the club members and isn't hiding they are looking at a number of avenues to increase the grounds profile.

Quote Originally Posted by RANGER09 View Post
    As most ZL clubs probably only started training 4 weeks before 1st state cup round, would be more beneficial to start it a few rounds into the regular season to give teams time to get their match fitness up, team strategies etc I like the idea you put up ramsbelong@jesmondpark as the new fm and NBN sides would definitely see better quality opposition.
    State Cup was heavily dictated by the dates set by FFA as to when Federations have to nominate their side/s for the next round that expands to include A-League clubs. Northern had that date and worked backwards trying not to disrupt the competitions. NewFm round one is next Saturday so I think they have done well only having the one interruption during the competition for State Cup.

NPL/NewFm do not play ZL as one of the considerations that was given to encourage ZL teams to enter when it was opened up to those divisions. The fact that 1 of the 4 semi final spots was guaranteed to ZL sides so the only way to ensure that guarantee is to isolate the teams from competing prior to the semi finals.

Quote Originally Posted by curious_fan View Post
    State Cup was heavily dictated by the dates set by FFA as to when Federations have to nominate their side/s for the next round that expands to include A-League clubs. Northern had that date and worked backwards trying not to disrupt the competitions. NewFm round one is next Saturday so I think they have done well only having the one interruption during the competition for State Cup.

NPL/NewFm do not play ZL as one of the considerations that was given to encourage ZL teams to enter when it was opened up to those divisions. The fact that 1 of the 4 semi final spots was guaranteed to ZL sides so the only way to ensure that guarantee is to isolate the teams from competing prior to the semi finals.
    what an absolute JOKE.how in a knockout comp can you guarantee a certain section a semi final spot. it has and always will be a fixed draw. especially now with it being a nationwide comp,northern need to do away with this shit.

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    what an absolute JOKE.how in a knockout comp can you guarantee a certain section a semi final spot. it has and always will be a fixed draw. especially now with it being a nationwide comp,northern need to do away with this shit.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by wannabe View Post
    How is it different to what the FFA Cup is doing? The FFA Cup guarantees at least one non-professional club a spot in the semis. Tbh, I have no issue with it.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Are they charging admission this year?