Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any qualified engineers in here?

Any qualified engineers in here?

I need a retaining wall design engineered and certified in order to submit a DA to council.

PM if you're able to help out.

Cheers guyz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdylan View Post
    Mate I've actually had big issues with plastic pool toys they can get wrecked quite easily. Best to get ones that are solid, like the beanbag seat for pools.

How big is the retaining wall, which Council?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    pay for it you ****

also, gis a call

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    How big is the retaining wall, which Council?
    Newcastle Council. Feckin prics.

Highest wall would be 1100mm which I more than understand needs to be engineered, but they'e requested we supply engineering detail for all walls even those under 800mm in order to issue to cover the walls in the CC accompanying the DA??

Just seems like they're constantly moving he goal postswith what can go through as complying development.
    Mate I've actually had big issues with plastic pool toys they can get wrecked quite easily. Best to get ones that are solid, like the beanbag seat for pools.

I might com round to yours on Sat befoe staysh Boz, bring you a copy of the plans and we can ?

Just build it yourself. 1.1m is **** all and **** the council.

600mm is the cut off height for retaining walls under complying development.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    always love that philosophy. good luck getting an insurance payout.

Just myself built a steel post/timber sleeper retaining wall that at points is a little above 1.4m above the ground (with no engineering/da/etc)

I'm under the impression you're building new, yeah snachez? In which case I'm led to believe building it yourself is not an option, and possibly/probably is holding up building of the house. My cousin just went through all this - best bet, particularly because people buying/building new get fxxxing reamed price-wise, is to get someone to engineer AND build it. Will save you a fair bit of honey.

What material are you using sanch?
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    always love that philosophy. good luck getting an insurance payout.
    but, but, it was already there when i moved in!
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    600mm is the cut off height for retaining walls under complying development.
    Depends if it is Earthworks and Drainage (subdivision 6 of SEPP Exempt and Complying) or Ancillary Development (subdivision 7).

Unprotected fill can be 600mm. Filling will need to be no deeper than 1m controlled by a retaining wall, otherwise it falls under ancillary development and is subject to the requirements for Ancillary Development;

600mm if it is within 500mm of a boundary, 1000mm if its further than 500mm from the boundary.

Either way, at 1.1m its not complying development.

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    Unfortunately that line doesn't work.
    Last edited by sammydog; 24-01-2014 at 08:02 AM.

planning nerds

engineering ops:
    we will loose

Quote Originally Posted by sh10 View Post
    planning nerds
    Worst career choice ever.

I am very glad I don't work in DA, fmd

near maps and property records say otherwise

near maps and property records say otherwise 😜
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Skirt Boy View Post
    That would be an option if it wasn't a new build. Council need to inspect the footings as well as do another inspection of the completed wall prior to issuing an occupation certificate.

Just myself built a steel post/timber sleeper retaining wall that at points is a little above 1.4m above the ground (with no engineering/da/etc)

I'm under the impression you're building new, yeah snachez? In which case I'm led to believe building it yourself is not an option, and possibly/probably is holding up building of the house. My cousin just went through all this - best bet, particularly because people buying/building new get fxxxing reamed price-wise, is to get someone to engineer AND build it. Will save you a fair bit of honey.

What material are you using sanch?
    That's it PV4, its a new build so all needs to be above board.

I'm going to go with a contemporary masonry design. Charcoal blocks etc, which seems to be becoming the norm these days.

I was intending to use a wall design allowed to go 800mm high, but have it engineered to go to approx 1100mm with suitable footings, drainage, backfill etc. I find as soon as you move to a masonry wall intended for 1000mm plus without needing engineering the prices seem to jump up a bit on the blocks.

Brings me to another point, anyone recommend somewhere cheap for masonry?? Adbri?? Hunterstone?? Lemme know cheers pals.

Quote Originally Posted by sanchez View Post
    That's it PV4, its a new build so all needs to be above board.

I'm going to go with a contemporary masonry design. Charcoal blocks etc, which seems to be becoming the norm these days.

I was intending to use a wall design allowed to go 800mm high, but have it engineered to go to approx 1100mm with suitable footings, drainage, backfill etc. I find as soon as you move to a masonry wall intended for 1000mm plus without needing engineering the prices seem to jump up a bit on the blocks.

Brings me to another point, anyone recommend somewhere cheap for masonry?? Adbri?? Hunterstone?? Lemme know cheers pals.
    Masonry is the go if you want a long term option that won't need replacing in 10 years.

Sammydog, can you answer a question for me.

We've found a block of land we want to buy. Subdivision happened a few years ago "only a few blocks left" we are interested in lot21, 22 and 17 are also still for sale.

We asked for a contract, our conveyancer tells us the land isn't registered, and that currently lot21,22 and 17 are actually considered one title. the real estate agent tells us that registration and further subdivision will happen prior to settlement.
    is this normal? Our conveyancer reckons it's the dodgiest shit they've heard of for years.... We aren't signing a contract until we've seen proof that lot21 is the land we want, is registered and is not attached to 22 or 17.

Is this in your field or should I call the cops!