Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tablets/Laptops etc for University.

Tablets/Laptops etc for University.

Who could recommend a quality tablet or laptop which you find perfect for university. List some pros and cons e.g. battery life etc

tablet - i have a google nexus 10

pros - google, android, drag & drop, thin, light, no DRM, HD screen
    cons - android, battery charges slowly, struggles with some apps + super HD video - is a tablet so is kind of always one step behind a good laptop

i am still running a 3 year old ACER Core i3 laptop running windows 7 and i really can't fault it for performance, handles pretty much everything i throw at it and it was only 500 bucks. bought an HP core i5 thing for my old man at the same time and it's total shite, overheats, slow, absolute donkey. so yeah i'd back ACER at the lower end of the market

stay away from AMD chips if you can, i don't know if they've improved but everything i've ever used with them gets hot, one swallow doesn't make a summer though

i'd also advise against a macbook air for the same reason, i find they get hot and slow - stick with a macbook pro if you want to go this route, get an SSD drive in it if you can, will be a good machine, lots of students in my lab run them and we don't have that much trouble with them considering they're in use for most of the day, every day

look at some of the detachable tablet/laptop crossover things if you want - windows 8 is a dog though.

this wouldn't be my preference, separate tablets/laptops is the way to go - then it's down to price and what you can afford

what's your budget in total?

Thanks so much for the input Q, my personal preference would be a laptop as long as it is well sized for carrying around, reliable and has good battery life. Id probably say id like to keep the $ under $600, so might have to have a good look around- however listening to salespeople who pretty much know nothing and couldnt give a sh** does my head in.

Mac.

everything else is balls.

Banned
    Me I use an Acer Aspire V3 571G

Can't find too many issues with it. Was a little over sensitive with keys being touched lightly ****ing shit up but installed a program to stop that.

As for portability. The weight issue doesn't bother me once you pack it into a bag and sling it over your shoulder. No issues really transporting it about going on flights other than having to pull it out for Screening at airports which is not really that much of a pain in the arse

Going overseas to Sth America have thought about Ipad/ Tablet option for internet access but just can't see the point. Will be taking the laptop as it achieves all I want and the benefits of something lighter/smaller to me are not there

Don't buy an Acer laptop, try Asus.

Have had an Acer laptop since 2009. Don't have a desktop so it's my primary computer. The thing is still a beast.

Cheers boys for the responses, ill start looking into all your suggestions and see which ones appeal to me.

I was looking at laptops and tablets earlier as I am upgrading soon.
    I would advise trawling whirlpool.net.au and checking out the model numbers on there once you have an idea of what you want.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Build your own with dell?

My missus loved being able to tailor the machine she got.
    Happy with the service etc

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    Build your own with dell?

My missus loved being able to tailor the machine she got.
    Happy with the service etc
    dell batteries are crap

I like my Acer i7 windows 7 good graphics that I got on some bargain site last year for $700 but its probs not the best for uni

Went to Harvey Norman yesterday to gey a tablet. Told the guy what I really wan it for is to run foxtel go and a few games. He checked it out on one of the asus tablets and it was compatible. Though I wanted the asus a step down from the one he checked (he checked it on that one because he had an account etc on there and he didn't on the one I was looking at and we both assumed that it would work on both as there were not really much different in specs). $200 later and the kne I got does not support foxtel go. FFS. So now I will miss the jets game though I downloaded an app that has highlights etc so it's not all bad. But Tuesday when I get paid I will be going back and saying it doesn't do what I want and try and swap it for the other one and pay the extra $90 or so.
    Last edited by weston; 01-02-2014 at 12:36 PM.

foxtel go only runs on samsung native and iphone/pad

should have asked the foz first m8

I've had a HP Probook 6550b for a few years and it's been a gem.

Mrs bought me a Kobo for reading, works just like a tablet also and I'm loving it
    OK

I have an iPhone 3GS and I'm ****ed if I can get it working on that. The dearer asus said it would work on that? Or maybe it just found the app. The tablet I actually got didn't even find it. I had to go looking for it, I assumed I had to search for it because it wasn't compatible and it came straight up on the other as it was compatible? Or maybe the cock nose at Harvey Norman has nfi what he is on about and it only found the app and not actually checked if it was compatible or not (considering he had never heard of foxtel go).

I must say its not a bad tablet. Just doesn't do what I primarily wanted it for.

it won't work on android on a non-samsung device

was the dearer tablet running windows 8?

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    it won't work on android on a non-samsung device

was the dearer tablet running windows 8?
    Don't think so. I won't have it if it does. Windows 8 on pc is an absolute nightmare. Have nearly thrown my mrs laptop out the window 15000 times.

Does foxtel go work on pc?

Quote Originally Posted by weston View Post
    Don't think so. I won't have it if it does. Windows 8 on pc is an absolute nightmare. Have nearly thrown my mrs laptop out the window 15000 times.

Does foxtel go work on pc?
    it does work on PC but if u can't find something just go on hahasport.com or another streaming site and watch it (albeit with lower quality)

My Samsung laptop has replaced my custom built desktop for everything.