Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tablets/Laptops etc for University.

He was talking off the shelf laptops Q, and if you line up the specs, because they both use Intel now, the Apple will cost more, probably $500 on a cheap laptop, but if you need Apple like some musicians tend to use, go for it

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Thread approaching sfcu levels of nerdism.

Someone just needs to make a Dr. Who joke or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by snake View Post
    bridges made the world in 6-8 wks

he then rested by the corner flag and all was gud
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Stubbins
    Hopefully it’s the four players, but, if not, the three, and if not, the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maito Mitch View Post
    Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

says the bloke hanging out on an a-league forum at midnight

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    what's good for the computer dork out there isn't always good for the high-end user who is not au fait with the building of systems from scratch (i.e. biologists, clinicians, anyone who is not an engineer (or economist, obviously) )

the mac pro is popular because it works out of the box, and you don't have to put it together yourself

given the choice between ****ing around building a system, or knowing i can get one that does the job with a minimal amount of fuss, most people with a bit of wedge to spend will opt for the mac.

but horses for courses - dunster's machine is probably useless for what i'd want to do and vice versa, and mine would probably send him into apoplectic rage
    So in summary:

PCs - nerds
    Macs - geeks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperDyl
    You're funnier on the internet than you are in person.
    the NF law...the longer the thread stays open, the probablity that the thread becomes about joel griffiths approaches 1

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    How long ago did you get it??

I bought mine about January last year and at the shop had the option of getting it with either Windows 7 or Windows 8

I took the Windows 7 option as I thought it would be more stable.

Just wondering what it would have been like if I went the other option and went Windows 8???
    I got mine in May last year at Officeworks - tbh I would have preferred Windows 7, just more comfortable with it.

Who would have thought that a question about computers would turn into a Mac vs PC debate.

Stunning.

I typed this on my Amstrad.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    Thread approaching sfcu levels of nerdism.

Someone just needs to make a Dr. Who joke or something similar.
    says the bloke hanging out on an a-league forum at midnight
    to both

The way I (very basically) see it..

Macs are popular for people who want to use iTunes as they're scared of other softwares. I've been told they're decent for DJs. And photoshop wizards/graphic designers/etc would die without mac.

Windows actually runs programs that are useful. Only way to get some programs on a mac is that parallel trick. I know a bunch of programs I've needed for uni/work have been unable to be used from a Mac OS.

Yo militia - my brother in law does astrophys @ Sydney Uni & apparently it's Mac or die in his labs/etc. Must be that Sydney hipster kulcha
    OK

It's ridiculous how hard it is to find laptops under 15" in store.

Typical Apple Mac User.

dat pic

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    It's ridiculous how hard it is to find laptops under 15" in store.
    your going to the wrong shops then.
    I went browsing in JB HiFi on the weekend and 85% of the laptops were under 15".
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    your going to the wrong shops then.
    I went browsing in JB HiFi on the weekend and 85% of the laptops were under 15".
    Which JB? I'd have to go for a drive to head to a JB store but dont want to waste my time if they don't have anything.

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    Who would have thought that a question about computers would turn into a Mac vs PC debate.

Stunning.

I typed this on my Amstrad.
    Chair right, Plague McCloy would have a laptop to rival the total computing power of NASA

Quote Originally Posted by Imyourhero View Post
    Which JB? I'd have to go for a drive to head to a JB store but dont want to waste my time if they don't have anything.
    I live in sydney, so you might be up for a fair drive if you want to check out the one I went to

seriously though, have a look at http://www.logicalblueone.com.au/store/ and check out the relevant threads on whirlpool.net.au
    its another option, but you would need to be a moderately computer literate to know what you were looking for.
    If you are an "out of the box" type user (read: apple fanboi) its probably not for you
    Last edited by furns; 05-02-2014 at 04:42 PM.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetmaster View Post
    I got mine in May last year at Officeworks - tbh I would have preferred Windows 7, just more comfortable with it.
    I take it you didn't get the windows 7 or Windows 8 option I did and were stuck with Windows 8???

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=221370787964

Is this a good buy or not? Please respond ASAP, preferably do not buy this before me.

Do you ever get bored of sprouting the same old crap? You're about as predictable as the punishment on the field we sit through once a week

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=221370787964

Is this a good buy or not? Please respond ASAP, preferably do not buy this before me.
    how much you prepared to pay Parksey??

We can all then take turns to place bids and jack the price up so you pay top dollar

Well I'm prepared to pay the buy now price if it's worth it.

what's good for the computer dork out there isn't always good for the high-end user who is not au fait with the building of systems from scratch (i.e. biologists, clinicians, anyone who is not an engineer (or economist, obviously) )

the mac pro is popular because it works out of the box, and you don't have to put it together yourself

given the choice between ****ing around building a system, or knowing i can get one that does the job with a minimal amount of fuss, most people with a bit of wedge to spend will opt for the mac.

but horses for courses - dunster's machine is probably useless for what i'd want to do and vice versa, and mine would probably send him into apoplectic rage
    My windows 7 Samsung runs photo shop better then the Universities Macs in the photography building. Plus firing up the old DOS when doing large file transfers is the shit.

The Bauhaus University has Windows machines for everything and for a school that only does architecture/design/art you would think Mac's would be the standard.............nope.

Also this thing is going to change everything we know about computers.

http://au.ign.com/wikis/steam/Steam_Machine

The money you fork out on a Apple is purely because of the design elements. And lets be honest. Due to pop culture everybody wants to be a trendy hipster and how much more trendy hipster can you get then by using the same tools as what most designers/artists use? So thanks to the first two versions of photoshop being Macintosh exclusive the rest is history.