Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Disc Golf

Anyone here play? Or even heard of it?

A mate of mine from work got me in to it a few months back and it's really quite addictive.

There is a course set up at Jesmond Park and another two in the planning stages for out at Rathmines and up in Maitland (and possibly a third at Wallsend), so it is starting to get a bigger profile here.

Any ultimate guys here that have had a round?

Play it at work.
    Good lead in to ultimate..... Makes you work out how to control the disc.

Never played the course at Jesmond park, it's been there for some time, it was on our list of things to do for uni, but ended upon the list of "things we said we did to pass assessments, but didn't ever do"

Where the hell do you work that you can play it AT work?

I had been practicing my putting in my office building when my floor was mostly empty but recently had the empty desks fill up with both people and PC's so there is a risk of hitting someone in the head or breaking something now

I got into it mostly because I am disgustingly unfit and needed something to make walking more interesting, basically. I played the full 36 at Jesmond today and am totally stuffed. Played down in Sydney last weekend as well and reckon I feel worse today than after 99 holes over 3 days last weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Where the hell do you work that you can play it AT work?
    Haha. PE Teaching has it perks!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Haha. PE Teaching has it perks!
    Ahhh, of course. What discs do schools use?

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    so keen to check it out. the mrs used to play for the australian youth ultimate team, so it shouldn't be hard to get her on board either.
    The league day is held at Jesmond Park on the first sunday of every month. I think the club usually has discs for loan for visitors, so more than welcome to pop down.

The one at Rathmines should hopefully be in in the next few months so much closer for you Wangi Wangi sorts.

Ahhh, of course. What discs do schools
    We use paper plates. Budget is tight.

so keen to check it out. the mrs used to play for the australian youth ultimate team, so it shouldn't be hard to get her on board either.

sounds like heaps of fun. is it a full-day kind of thing, or just rock up when you want, spend an hour or two playing, then bail when you want?

the mrs has a few of her old nationals-competition discs lying around at home that are a dream to throw, might drag them along.

you better watch out if you're going to come down to rathys for a throw - homeground advantage is key!

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    sounds like heaps of fun. is it a full-day kind of thing, or just rock up when you want, spend an hour or two playing, then bail when you want?

the mrs has a few of her old nationals-competition discs lying around at home that are a dream to throw, might drag them along.

you better watch out if you're going to come down to rathys for a throw - homeground advantage is key!
    If you want prizes, league day is generally a full day thing Otherwise nothing to stop people from coming down and throwing the morning round (usually the easier of the two) or just trailling behind the league players and playing holes as they go through. We had 3 groups of randoms yesterday playing, not involved in the league day and just out for some fun. A few of them bought discs from one of our Sydney players who runs a shop and a few others got his business card so they can order stuff in the future.

I've not been out to Styles Point (I think..) yet to see the proposed course layout but apparently a rep from Lake Mac council is being contacted this week to go through the proposal as they are keen to get some other activity in that park as it is presently only used for some school fun run /shrug

While I haven't played the actual disc golf course in Jezzo before, I've spent a large amount of time (drunken/sober, day or night) hoiking frisbees/Aerobie rings around on Newy beach..
    I'm sure PV4 can clear it up, having a Mrs that was national and all, but in playing the game, they only use the disc type of Frisbee yeah?
    I love the Aerobie rings, they go a ridiculous distance but can be a prick of a thing to control. Plus they don't glow in the dark AND they don't float.. So I've lost about 4 of the $45 rings to the ocean or just to the night..
    Where around Rathys are they making the course?

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    While I haven't played the actual disc golf course in Jezzo before, I've spent a large amount of time (drunken/sober, day or night) hoiking frisbees/Aerobie rings around on Newy beach..
    I'm sure PV4 can clear it up, having a Mrs that was national and all, but in playing the game, they only use the disc type of Frisbee yeah?
    I love the Aerobie rings, they go a ridiculous distance but can be a prick of a thing to control. Plus they don't glow in the dark AND they don't float.. So I've lost about 4 of the $45 rings to the ocean or just to the night..
    Where around Rathys are they making the course?
    I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark? I think they throw an ultrastar or something... one of the guys from the Newcastle team (Chilli, I think he goes by?) drops in for a round at Jesmond every so often.

I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark?
    Yeah I knew Wham-O or someone like that would have trademarked it.. I've seen Back To The Future 3, we all know Marty McFly invented the real Frisbee..

I didn't think they were allowed to call them frisbees because Wham-O owns that trademark? I think they throw an ultrastar or something... one of the guys from the Newcastle team (Chilli, I think he goes by?) drops in for a round at Jesmond every so often.
    heh, small world.

The best/official (by UPA) discs for ultimate are those made by Discraft (175g ultra-stars or whatever). You can get them from lots of places these days, my last ones I got from Amazon but it has the worst ever shipping policy, I think they ended up being $12-15 each at the end of it. Smooth as **** to throw though, I'm guessing this is what you have pv4.

Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    heh, small world.

Yeah, turns out the glow-in-the-dark one that I bought was a Wham-O 160g Maxflight..

To be honest, haven't even tried throwing it yet so I've got no idea how it goes..

Sick bloke, I believe he's representing Australia at the World Games (or whatever they call it) in Japan right now.

I haven't played disc golf yet, but have played ultimate for a bit now. I would be keen to play though since my throwing skills are hot fire.

local team has the greatest strip of all time

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    the **** is this

It's rocket science, parksey.

disc_golf_image.jpg

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    It's rocket science, parksey.

disc_golf_image.jpg
    safe to say I would be absolutely terrible at this game.