Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    RE Jesmond: Is it open to visitors the typical 9-5, during the week? e.g can i get a couple of friends who've never played and rock up and hire some discs + play a few rounds?
    It's always open, tis a public park so you can go there at 3am and throw LED discs if you want (they look pretty cool). Unfortunately, there isn't regularly someone there with discs to borrow (not hire, tis free from what I know) unless it is a league day or advance notice is given. My mate and I both work in the CBD (though he tends to work from his home office a lot out in Toronto) and try to get out there 2-3 times a week for a throw in the afternoons, another guy works out at Wallsend and tries to get in a lunch round 2-3 times a week as well.

Neil is the guy that does most of the organising of stuff up here and has said if you shoot him an email (PM me if you are interested) beforehand, he is happy to meet at the course and take people for a round or two.

BTW... Styles Point is ****ing awesome. If the proposal gets up, will likely be the best disc golf course in NSW.

I rolled up around 230 & couldn't see anyone with discs. was busy beforehand. keen for another time though!
    OK

We left probably 15 minutes before that. The guy that came up from Sydney had to get back civilisation at a reasonable hour so we left just after 2.

ha bummer. next time for sure! the mrs sounded keen also, as did my little nephew.

did you get much of a rollup?

why was styles so good? is it because of all the trees creating obstacles and such?
    OK

There was only 3 of us. One of the Newcastle regulars had a big party the night before, another is in his 2 weeks on roster out in the mines... and Sydney folk were either working or lazy.

There are only 2 open to the public courses in NSW (I think...) so being the best out of 3 wouldn't be hugely difficult. Its competition is Newington Armoury which is basically just a massive open area requiring lots of huge throws for you to be any good. There is a little bit of tree cover but nothing like at Jesmond or Styles Point. Jesmond is good but there are no real long holes to test peoples arms, so it's more about technique than anything. Styles Point has a bit of everything... lots of awesome tree corridors for technique, one monster long hole and a few other long holes... and the backdrop of Kilaben Bay is just perfect.

There is also course out at Mudgee (of all places) that was built for corporate team building stuff at some conference centre/accommodation... I think it might be open to the public but is a $10 entrance fee and it is apparently not set up as a disc golf course, just as a team building thing so your regular pleb who can throw a frisbee isn't overawed by it.

If any of you Newcastle sorts want to go for a throw today, Neil will be there from around 2:30-3pm today. If I can get out, I will be there as well but probably not.

First hole is right near the carpark on Robinson Rd (or st?) just off Newcastle Road.

Also...

pv4... Styles Point is on again this Saturday. Few more of the Newcastle locals heading out, will have 9 temp baskets set up. Running from 1030 or so for 3-4 hours.

Styles Point tomorrow. Stuff will be set up from around 930 apparently, we have some folk up from Sydney who have to be back by 3pm so they are trekking up early. Will definitely be ready to go by 10am.

Thanks for coming out pv4, was good to meet you. Hope you had as much fun as your nephew, he looked so disappointed that you had to leave!

I will let you know when we are out there again though it won't be for a few weeks as we have Brisbane Open then Jesmond league day over the next few weeks.

cheers for having us. was a good little hour of fun. the nephew wants to play it every day he told me in the car - and the niece actually wants to have a go next time (she's just shy). was good fun! keen for next time already!
    OK

We are looking at heading out there again one day this weekend if you are keen. Probably only myself and Neil and maybe one other guy who wasn't there last weekend.

Is any day in particular better for you?

DG @ Jesmond from around 2:30 today.

Heading up to Brisvegas this week for the Brisbane Championships. Expecting to finish dead last again on a course I have never played before. Reckon they have around 30 people signed up already so tis pretty impressive considering we only got 12 to Sydney Open a month and a bit back

Right gents (and ladies?).

The Jesmond Jam is the local tournament, taking place 2nd weekend of September. There will be a doubles tournament on the Friday and the tournament proper on Sunday however the super awesome beginner friendly stuff takes place on the Saturday.

There will be an Ace Race as part of the world wide Discraft Ace Race (http://discgolfacerace.com/) that takes place from August - October. Entry fee gets you TWO brand new prototype discs from Discraft, a mini and a bag.

https://www.facebook.com/events/162461150556610/

pv4, looking at you!

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Heading up to Brisvegas this week for the Brisbane Championships. Expecting to finish dead last again on a course I have never played before. Reckon they have around 30 people signed up already so tis pretty impressive considering we only got 12 to Sydney Open a month and a bit back
    They ended up having 27 with 2 on the day cancellations due to a) car accident and b) over straining while doing a massive post hamburger shit (no joke...) and herniating a disc.

I finished dead last but only by 2 and only because of a really shit last hole where I shot 7. Shit. Also, first hole of day 2, I had a great drive and was 3m from the basket... and missed the birdie putt

pv4 (and anyone else interested), tis the Newcastle league day this Sunday at Jesmond. https://www.facebook.com/events/503893652960585/

Grim

can you recommend a supplier for the baskets?
    or do you have plans that i could grab so we could make some?

lookin at seeting up a course at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fish View Post
    Grim

can you recommend a supplier for the baskets?
    or do you have plans that i could grab so we could make some?

lookin at seeting up a course at work.
    All the suppliers are overseas, not sure who we use. Neil is organising the baskets for the new proposal at Rathmines so I will have a word with him about recommendations. Be warned though, they are pretty pricey at around $300-500 for door to door shipping.

You might also want to look at getting temp baskets that you can fold up and pack away instead. Something like a Mach Lite http://www.discgolf.com/dga-disc-gol...c-golf-basket/

We have a metals fabrication workshop.
    I can make it for the cost of the steel!

Very nice. Student labour ftw!