Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The need of Boutique Stadiums.

I think we need to always stay at hunter stadium. Its a very central area. It shares alot of good memories. Magic park should always be our second home ground which I'm glad it's being used again for the FFA cup.

With the new ownership you never know what could happen.

Next to no chance of getting funding for a boutique ground. The state government has alot more priorities with stadium then helping Newcastle out again although it would be nice to get more seats on the southern end.

What we need to be doing as a club is playing a yearly regional game and I'm glad we are doing it next season away at coffs harbour.

If people are concerned about transport and parking and the whole "door to door" nature of Newcastle, an option is to provide the shuttle buses as we did for the Asian Cup. That worked pretty well.

And if transport is a concern, I'd actually explore options for a boutique stadium towards Glendale. When the interchange is finished, with the expanding population out that way, the proximity to the end of the freeway it's ideal for allowing multiple options for parking, public transport and travelling fans (by that I mean Cessnock, Singleton, Toronto and the North Coast). This could also support a football academy being incorporated in the surrounding area.

We are a long way off justifying this sort of expenditure in my opinion
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 06-07-2016 at 08:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

For now this is a pointless argument - the obvious question is where does the money come from?

The CBD is 10 years from being finished, the light rail is a totally stuffed up concept that will change a number of times before it comes to fruition.

Hunter Stadium is still - not finished! Any funding from the government (after the refurbishing of Sydney stadia) will surely go there. The grass hills have to go to truly make it international class. HS should probably be downgraded to 25,000 capacity anyway, chop the tops of both stands, put them behind the goals and put a roof right round it! Government funding of any type will be scarce with the area being safe ALP now with two incumbent Coalition governments.

And finally, think of around the country - there is only one boutique football ground in the A-League and that is at Hindmarsh. And that is only of that standard because of Olympics funding - have a look at it before then. Perth and AAMI are close but both have rugby code tenants. Gosford was built for NRL. Again - where does the money come from?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    If people are concerned about transport and parking and the whole "door to door" nature of Newcastle, an option is to provide the shuttle buses as we did for the Asian Cup. That worked pretty well.

And if transport is a concern, I'd actually explore options for a boutique stadium towards Glendale. When the interchange is finished, with the expanding population out that way, the proximity to the end of the freeway it's ideal for allowing multiple options for parking, public transport and travelling fans (by that I mean Cessnock, Singleton, Toronto and the North Coast). This could also support a football academy being incorporated in the surrounding area.

We are a long way off justifying this sort of expenditure in my opinion
    And again we come back to NNSWFF not fully capitalising on the building of their centre and having the vision to work with the Jets to make that the second ground away from Hunter Stadium.

Govt would never fund it as they own the only other major stadium in the area. Why build a facility that would decrease usage at another facility they already own.

Which means the only real funding would come from an owner. Given the franchise nature of the A-League and the ability for licences (and clubs) to be pulled, who would invest the sort of capital required to build a stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by GazFish35 View Post
    If 30 minutes is too much we're in trouble.

Parramatta works for WSW because it's so close to church street.
    Something in Newy, closer to where there is already food and drink would be great.

Long term building something "boutique" that the club/code actually owns means we'd be eventually out from under the control of paying rent.... And a smaller stadium we control might in the long term help generate money.
    Actually now that it's been raised, it would be interesting to see the demographics of the Jets' membership; how many we get from "outer-lying" areas such as Maitland, Cessnock, Nelson Bay and the West Lakes area etc. and even further. Think I read somewhere a little while back of a supporter who travels from Port Macquarie(?) to attend home games.
    Curious if anyone on travels a decent distance to attend home games?

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    anyone really interested in this sort of thing should read the report A BLUEPRINT FOR SUCCESSFUL STADIUM DEVELOPMENT by KPMG

you can find it various places by Googling but you often have to register to download

alternatively I could email if you ask nicely

Quote Originally Posted by stopper2 View Post
    Actually now that it's been raised, it would be interesting to see the demographics of the Jets' membership; how many we get from "outer-lying" areas such as Maitland, Cessnock, Nelson Bay and the West Lakes area etc. and even further. Think I read somewhere a little while back of a supporter who travels from Port Macquarie(?) to attend home games.
    Curious if anyone on travels a decent distance to attend home games?
    Alot out west - amazing how busy the New England Highway gets after games and the Maccas at Hexham and Thornton are always full of Jets fans.

Quote Originally Posted by boz-monaut View Post
    anyone really interested in this sort of thing should read the report A BLUEPRINT FOR SUCCESSFUL STADIUM DEVELOPMENT by KPMG

you can find it various places by Googling but you often have to register to download

alternatively I could email if you ask nicely
    Or google pdf: a blueprint for successful stadium development, works quite well for a lot of articles and studies people try and make you pay for.

Has a boutique stadium opportunity opened up?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...870b93ebd0a961
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Banned
    It should be cheap

Parking is a cluster**** though
    Public transport non existent

Awesome food choices around there though. The 7/11 down the road does a wicked pluto pup. Imagine the game day atmosphere!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilso8948 View Post
    Awesome food choices around there though. The 7/11 down the road does a wicked pluto pup. Imagine the game day atmosphere!
    7-11 in this country is just shit.

Other places on the planet 7-11 is awesome

Where else can you buy donuts hamburgers condoms beer ice noodles and dishwashing liquid in the same shop for dirt cheap prices??

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    Has a boutique stadium opportunity opened up?

http://www.news.com.au/sport/more-sp...870b93ebd0a961
    It would be awesome, but even in the Breakers years the place was a nightmare to get to if you didn't have a car, and if you did parking was shite.

Didn't Con have the chance to take that place over and decided against it.

There is a truckload of land on the western side but its all swamp....

Jesmond shops for a feed then walk!

Going back to breakers ground would be going back in time. The public transport out there would be an utter disaster.
    Quote Originally Posted by benfathers45 View Post
    Mangoes? You should try eating it first before you hate it. I'm sure after you have tasted it, you will love it.

cans on the hill.
    eaten alive by mozzies the size of sparrows.

proper football.

get it done Middleby.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

between a grave yard and a junk yard.
    Quite symbolic really.

small stadium = AIDS IMHO
    I wanna see us push to get attendances up to c.20K mark for at least half our home games - how's that gonna work at a tiny stadium like Birmingham Gardens? And if you truly want that tiny a stadium why not just push Magic out of their ground and take it over, would be as small as BG and a lot easier to get to, you could decrease our gates to less than 3K easy if that is what you are really asking for by trying to move from a reasonable one to a sardine can sized one...
    Life isn't the same without Con... but it can only improve without Tinks...