Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Acl - 2014

Wound up a few Wanderers fans on twitter though pointing out that even we knocked off Ulsan.

You do need to factor in salary cap when comparing the quality of the two comps. That has a big influence on the quality of the squad, particularly with the imports.

how good were victory 1st half...2 nil up...lets see if they choke
    I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by seldom View Post
    how good were victory 1st half...2 nil up...lets see if they choke
    Absolutely baffling. They are probably the least likely side to succeed in this event as they are generally poor defensively

I find it astounding that the media continually craps on about Adelaides ACL exploits, yet conveniently forgets that Newy also got out of our group in our first ACL campaign.
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

2-1, game on. End score will be 3-2, not sure who to.

Quote Originally Posted by furns View Post
    I find it astounding that the media continually craps on about Adelaides ACL exploits, yet conveniently forgets that Newy also got out of our group in our first ACL campaign.
    Id rather forget about what happened when we did get out though. With GVE set to do a runner, I bet there was some ugly stuff going on behind the scenes at the club when we got belted.
    Last edited by sammydog; 27-02-2014 at 01:27 AM.

Banned
    I don't. Everyone forgets about Newy at the best of times.

There is the 3-2. Victory being outplayed all over the park. This could blow out in a big way.

Agree with your points on the technical gulf MKFS and Militiamon - I guess I didn't want to fall back on that "same old argument", but there really is no escaping it.

Hopefully the recent overhaul of the Grassroots coaching system will start to bear fruit over the next decade at the Professional level. The success of our National Team and our National league are dependent on it...

Banned
    Wouldn't hold your breath on us improving dramatically as a nation any time soon. Unfortunately there are far too many idiots out there still trying to buck the system and do things their way reluctant to change.

Add in the fact we are far too narrow in our coaching selections ie the same idiots on the HAL roundabout going between clubs constantly. Then add in the blokes like GVE who keep getting gigs somewhere in the coaching setup for being part of the scene despite ****ing most things up at previous gigs

Leads to a complete lack of diversity and new ideas in the system

This is gonna take a long long long time

Got to remember that Adelaide’s run was during the time when only one team got through from the group stage, victory also finished second in their first ACL campaign.

When you look at our campaign you really wonder what could have been had we not had all those issues, we probably still would have lost but I think we could have given a better account of ourselves. Covic’s sudden leaving, Gary’s Bolt to the AIS, issues about our travel plans before and after games.

Oh well we won’t need to worry about the ACL any time soon, we can’t even meet our basic goal of making the heights of the lowest 40% of the league let alone making the top 20% or winning a grand final.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Harper just described our play as constipated. Perfect description of our slow movement that goes nowhere and of our coach who is full of shit.

Just saw the Wanderers highlights. i love how their flares caused them to concede

I'd love to see the current Adelaide team in the ACL. Gombau has them playing a really technical game, and mix that in with their assassins at the back I think would make for an exciting ACL campaign.

IMO a lot of the problems with Australian teams in the ACL, which I can particularly highlight from Melbourne's game last night, is all of most of our teams are very Plan-A type teams. Arnold's CCM, which Moss in continuing, has that one suffocate-the-game type gameplan. WSW have the one gameplan. Ange's Roar&Victory, now Muscat's Victory, have/had one gameplan. Muscat's team was doing fine (or even great) last night - until Lippi managed to outsmart him in the second half. Our coaches, for the large part, are not smart enough to adapt their gameplans as the games play out.

Also remember that 2/3 Australian teams played away from home over the last few days. Playing away in the ACL, particularly whilst needing to fit in 2 games either side of the travel, is very demanding on the limited squad sizes of HAL teams.
    OK

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I'd love to see the current Adelaide team in the ACL. Gombau has them playing a really technical game, and mix that in with their assassins at the back I think would make for an exciting ACL campaign.

IMO a lot of the problems with Australian teams in the ACL, which I can particularly highlight from Melbourne's game last night, is all of most of our teams are very Plan-A type teams. Arnold's CCM, which Moss in continuing, has that one suffocate-the-game type gameplan. WSW have the one gameplan. Ange's Roar&Victory, now Muscat's Victory, have/had one gameplan. Muscat's team was doing fine (or even great) last night - until Lippi managed to outsmart him in the second half. Our coaches, for the large part, are not smart enough to adapt their gameplans as the games play out.

Also remember that 2/3 Australian teams played away from home over the last few days. Playing away in the ACL, particularly whilst needing to fit in 2 games either side of the travel, is very demanding on the limited squad sizes of HAL teams.

I find this part of it ridiculous.

Clubs have a squad of 23 players plus a Yoof team to call on. I don't buy this shit that the blokes can't cut it and it is a demand on squad sizes. More so an issue with their inability mentally to deal with games.

I also find the travel argument useless also. They have a 8-9 hour flight more or less in the same time zone. What is that hard about this to deal with?? They fly to games regularly in the HAL all the time so flying isn't a new concept

The Socceroos regularly fly back to Australia from Europe and have a 20 odd hour flight and cross multiple timezones and have no real issues performing in this Country

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    I find this part of it ridiculous.

Clubs have a squad of 23 players plus a Yoof team to call on. I don't buy this shit that the blokes can't cut it and it is a demand on squad sizes. More so an issue with their inability mentally to deal with games.

I also find the travel argument useless also. They have a 8-9 hour flight more or less in the same time zone. What is that hard about this to deal with?? They fly to games regularly in the HAL all the time so flying isn't a new concept

The Socceroos regularly fly back to Australia from Europe and have a 20 odd hour flight and cross multiple timezones and have no real issues performing in this Country
    TBH I find your views ridiculous.

There's slim-to-none chance any of the Australian teams each year will qualify out of group stage, and make it worthwhile to compete in the ACL.

It's directly in the middle-to-back-end of the season, which should be the priority. So when clubs are thinking of resting players etc, do they rest their best players or their worse players? It's the best competition in Asia, yet especially Australian clubs can't just without-thought afford to sacrifice a league game or two for it. And inb4 "EPL teams play 3 times a week" - yes they do, but I'd like to see you show me a team that plays 3 times a week and has the same players for all 3 games.

The squads are 23 or so strong, but the strongest starting 11 is the most competitive, with especially the last 5-7 guys in the squad being fringe players at best usually - particularly for HAL clubs which is restricted by salary caps, there's no depth and not everyone has Kale Bradbery waiting in the wings ffs.

And I haven't mentioned yet that the teams that qualify for the tournament are usually vastly different to the ones who compete in it, thanks to the massive gap between qualification & competition.

What's hard to deal with travel? It's another continent, another culture. HAL teams usually finish playing their games by 7:30pm, then get a bus directly to the airport to fly out. HAL clubs DO travel, but let me ask you how the Jerks go in Wellington?

The Socceroos (usually) have a minimum of 1 week training camps before playing. Much more time to acclimatize.
    OK

All Clubs in the ACL have to submit a 20 man squad.
    So the argument that limited squad size comes into it is invalid all clubs are going to submit there best 20 and that 20 players are more then likely to play in the respected league games too.
    Quote Originally Posted by #fixsmithpark View Post
    I'M GULLIBLE!

Thought it was 30 premy. Hence why Sydney signed Durante and Williams in their ACL campaign.
    Middleby Gone

Lawrie Out

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas477 View Post
    Thought it was 30
    you would be correct

With the continuing economic disaster in Europe there will be no shortage of quality coaches willing to ply their trade in the A-league. Until that happens though progress will be slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Premy View Post
    All Clubs in the ACL have to submit a 20 man squad.
    So the argument that limited squad size comes into it is invalid all clubs are going to submit there best 20 and that 20 players are more then likely to play in the respected league games too.
    Whether it's 30 or 20 for the ACL itself, that's not the point. It's the squad limit in their seasons. Asian teams have more squad numbers, with more spending power for players other than their strngest 11-14, then HAL clubs do. So our 17-23 players would arguably all be on min wages. the asian clubs, their 40-45 players wouldbe.
    OK

I'm with you pv4. It be like arguing there's only 11 on the field.

There top 11 are better than our top 11 because their top 30 are better than our op 30 because they can pay more...... And are far more professionally run. Etc etc. our clubs are still very very young and are not yet able to fully invest in proper facilities and back room staff etc.