Page 11 of 35 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Put a seat on it - Cycling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    i'll extend a metaphor: "no honour amongst dopers". quite happy to have cheats turning on each other. but i also see you're point. then again, the police do this kind of thing all the time. greatest good and all that.

interesting down here in canberra at the moment. stephen hodge has admitted to doping during his cycling career, he's on the ACT hall of fame and has written a letter to the ACT government saying he should be removed from the list. he's also got a track at mount stromlo (big cycling area down here) named after him, and he's said he is happy to let the ACT government decide if his name should be removed from the track. now, the cynic in me says this is a great PR move from him to garner sympathy/support. another part of me thinks, why only come out now if you're so wracked with guilt? the rest of me thinks "what a guy".

i wonder what response armstrong would have got had he gone down this path?

the whole sport (elite level) stinks, and it's going to take a long time to clean it up.

there are no winners here.
    that is very true. i know what you mean though cheats dobbing cheats in. It will eventually bring the whole sport into disrepute.
    yeah i know about stromlo, i have a mate who i hung out with since i was 14 competing at world level for 4X and downhill, stromlo is such an awesome setup

i agree completely at the end of day cycling is going to come out worse off

well there was a few winners belch, but they were all drug cheats

also as I said before, this wont affect cycling in Europe in the slightest, they are deadset mental for it

your Anglos with some kind of misguided sense of fair play might have a cry until another yank/brit/strayan wins it and then they'll be back on the peloton sooner than you can say clenbuterol
    Last edited by q-money; 24-10-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    clenbuterol
    good ole horse thermogenics

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by belchardo View Post
    the whole sport (elite level) stinks, and it's going to take a long time to clean it up.
    there are no winners here.
    Honestly I don't see how this is relevant. Cycling has had a bad image for years with doping. The issue with Lance relates to the recent past in an era where every man and his dog knows drugs were rife. How is this really gonna effect cyclings short term future when everyone also knows that the governing bodies are all over trying to stamp drugs out and this generation of cyclists are definitely much cleaner than previous generations

Cycling authorities have acknowledged they have a problem in their sport are at the forefront in the fight against drugs. It is not like they ain't fighting the matter head on. It is unfortunate that the users are also still trying harder to outwit them but how is that the governing bodies fault.

Despite the drug issues in the last 20 years in cycling and most of them were really about 8-10 years ago from now people still tune in to watch the TDF and other big races. Matter of fact I have been watching the Presser on Eurosport tonight for next years TDF. Hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for it one little bit and the images of the TDF that have been shown make me look forward to next year when the guys go up Alp D'Huez, Mont Vonteux etc and I will be watching and not giving two ****s if they are on the gear.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    let them take what ever they want, I say.

One of the Sky riders have now admitted to doping. There has been a few rumours about that team, will be interesting to see if anymore come out.

I hope he likes prison food.......and penis

went for a ride into newy and back through dumaresq and round honeysuckle and back to new lambton this morning, deadset newy has a great setup for cycling

people aren't trying to kill you on sight either, which is a pleasant change

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    yep, it might not have a Centennial Park to ride around but it's pretty sweet

you should add the foreshore, Nobbys and King Edward Park to your loop, then down Memorial Drive and Parkway Ave

and you don't really get the dicks until peak hour or unless you go near Maitland

ah yeah forgot to add that bit in, did the foreshore and back up hunter street, through darby and the back of the athletics track, then the westbound sprint section on dumaresq, lol

20mph look out i'm a badass

космонавт-исследователь boz-monaut's Avatar
    mph it'd be good, kph you'd be at about my level

also, how good is the grass on the Athletics Field these days?

A bus side swiped a cyclist at Belmont a few weeks ago.
    Bus merges left into cycling lane and cyclists shoulder gets slammed by the side of the bus.
    It scared the crap out of me seeing it - can only imagine what went through the cyclists mind as he went down.

Fortunately the only fatality was the bike.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    what bike are you running, q?

Newcastle is pretty good to cycle around, but I do avoid areas like the main section of Belmont, Sandgate to Maitland (at peak hour). Some really good riding around the Lake as well.

There are tools in cars, but if you take a bit of care riding you minimise your chances of having an encounter. I actually find I have most of my run ins with cars when riding between Charlestown and Dudley. Strange because it is a super wide road, but I have been run off the road quiet a number of times on that section.

I've been stuck behind a car driving slow only to have the car behind me within a metre of my back wheel honking his horn.

So when we stopped at the next intersection I went to the passenger side window and asked "what the **** are you doing" ?

Drivers reply - "I wasn't beeping you mate I was beeping the driver in front of you" ?

Hence, bloke thought he was doing us both a favour.

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    what bike are you running, q?
    cannondale caad9-7 with a mix of shimano bits on it

it's a great frame, have a few things to change out, though

and chapeau sir wiggo, richly deserved award for a brilliant track career and his stellar year on the road

i guess looking back at this year's TDF now, it really was an amazingly well planned race by sky, there was a great article in ride mag (i think, which is brilliant btw, australia should be proud of it) about rogers and porte and the way they smashed down all of the attacks this year by watching the wattages of everyone on breaks and who could sustain peak outputs for what amount of time and the like. great planning, may have looked boring at the time but it really was one of the more interesting things from the sport science side of things this year.

compare that to la vuelta, (which i was lucky enough to see the last day of) which was won off the back of an absolutely insane solo attack from contador on stage 17, some things you just can't plan for. i know he polarises people, but he is ****ing amazing when he goes off one, absolutely blew purito out of the water. again in the latest ride mag there is a breakdown of how the move was planned out by straya's own brad mcgee - great read

my favourite moment of this year - marc madiot going mental at thibaut pinot in stage 8 of the tdf when he knows he's got it in the bag

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    i guess looking back at this year's TDF now, it really was an amazingly well planned race by sky, there was a great article in ride mag (i think, which is brilliant btw, australia should be proud of it) about rogers and porte and the way they smashed down all of the attacks this year by watching the wattages of everyone on breaks and who could sustain peak outputs for what amount of time and the like. great planning, may have looked boring at the time but it really was one of the more interesting things from the sport science side of things this year.
    The best thing about Sky's effort in the TDF was the way they built the team. They built a team that would win by destroying others in the hills.

Contrast that to BMC who built a team to protect Cadel in the early flat stages, but was of next to no use once they hit the hills. Unfortunately, you don't gain time protecting people in the flats.

Given the manner in which Sky went in the time trials I can see this fairytale ending in tears just like Armstrongs did.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 30-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.