Page 33 of 35 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 LastLast

Thread: Put a seat on it - Cycling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I wish I still had the magazine, but one of the Australian mags raced a Toys R Us bike and a Kmart bike at the Mont 24 about 10 years ago.

The bikes had to be assembled at the start line and could only be repaired during the race with things found in he average garage.

From memory, they were still putting out decent lap times on them and putting people on expensive bikes to shame.
    Group sets have really come a long way in the last ten years or so as well. I get a good laugh out of these clowns who upgrade to a new version of the same group or put top of the line or near enough to Campy or Shimano gear on bikes with shit frames/forks/bars/wheels. It just doesn't make any sense. I've snapped an XTR crank in half and I have split the pedal boss on an XT crank as well - so you certainly don't get added durability for your money.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dunster View Post
    Group sets have really come a long way in the last ten years or so as well. I get a good laugh out of these clowns who upgrade to a new version of the same group or put top of the line or near enough to Campy or Shimano gear on bikes with shit frames/forks/bars/wheels. It just doesn't make any sense. I've snapped an XTR crank in half and I have split the pedal boss on an XT crank as well - so you certainly don't get added durability for your money.
    I won’t put XTR on my bikes anymore. It’s not that much better than XT but the price is astronomical for something that breaks so easily.

My last set of XTR hubs were terrible. Had he rear hub replaced three times under warranty. I’ll just stick with Hope from now on.

Good set of wheels is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by sammydog View Post
    I won’t put XTR on my bikes anymore. It’s not that much better than XT but the price is astronomical for something that breaks so easily.

My last set of XTR hubs were terrible. Had he rear hub replaced three times under warranty. I’ll just stick with Hope from now on.

Good set of wheels is all you need.
    Agreed. A mate had Chris King Hubs on his Ibis they were brilliant.

Ayeee lads haven't had a bike for about 15 years, any suggestions on something cheapish? Under $500 happy to buy 2nd hand, think I would rather a mountain bike than a road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy View Post
    Ayeee lads haven't had a bike for about 15 years, any suggestions on something cheapish? Under $500 happy to buy 2nd hand, think I would rather a mountain bike than a road bike.
    You can get a great Roadie for $500.
    With a MTB in that price range you need to stick with hardtails because dual suspension bikes at that price are aids.
    I take it you just want it to do pub runs ? If so get a flat bar roadie.

You can get a great Roadie for $500.
    With a MTB in that price range you need to stick with hardtails because dual suspension bikes at that price are aids.
    I take it you just want it to do pub runs ? If so get a flat bar roadie.
    Haha yeah pretty much, any brands to avoid?

Haha yeah pretty much, any brands to avoid?
    Not really - I'd be shopping in the $200 and under used market to be honest for that purpose.

Merida, Giant, Cannondale, Trek, and Scott make pretty good affordable bikes.

This one on gumtree looks pretty good for a pub cruiser

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/eler...ike/1165401316

Agreed. A mate had Chris King Hubs on his Ibis they were brilliant.
    Got a set of Hadley’s on my old DH bike I don’t ride anymore. Best hubs I’ve ever had, but now useless as the rear is 150mm spacing.

The Aldi mtb is surprisingly good value for the price when they come up.

But check out the second hand market if you want something better on that budget.

Does anyone still ride 26" MTB's anymore ? I was thinking of selling my Trance as it never gets used - but don't want to deal with low ball offers from dickheads on Gumtree. The newer versions are all 27.5" but I don't think they are full t-800 carbon anymore in the front and rear triangle [They have aluminium rear triangle now which is pretty piss poor. Mine is running full XT group with Pro Titanium reinforced T-800 Carbon seat post, stem and bars [which they only make in aluminium these days as bike companies cut corners everywhere and justify it through marketing bullshit. I've had people offer me $1000 which wouldn't buy the Bars, seat post and Stem at cost. If I could get $2k I'd probably sell it. If not, will pull it down and put it in the roof.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 19-11-2017 at 01:06 AM.

Does anyone still ride 26" MTB's anymore ? I was thinking of selling my Trance as it never gets used - but don't want to deal with low ball offers from dickheads on Gumtree. The newer versions are all 27.5" but I don't think they are full t-800 carbon anymore in the front and rear triangle [They have aluminium rear triangle now which is pretty piss poor. Mine is running full XT group with Pro Titanium reinforced T-800 Carbon seat post, stem and bars [which they only make in aluminium these days as bike companies cut corners everywhere and justify it through marketing bullshit. I've had people offer me $1000 which wouldn't buy the Bars, seat post and Stem at cost. If I could get $2k I'd probably sell it. If not, will pull it down and put it in the roof.
    I do, but I’m in the minority.

The wheel size thing was all marketing and I never subscribed to it. Unfortunately most people have run with it so I wouldn’t hold your breath on a good price.

My old DH bike is in the same place. I waited too long to sell it. I would get more if I just sold the hubs than I would for the whole bike. So now it sits in storage.

Injuries and age have caught up with my riding and I'm no longer fearless which you need to be on Mtb. Hence the bike just sits there doing nothing. Not many places for riding at Maitland either.

out of the price range but i just bought a polygon bend CT5, is a killer bike for the price point. SRAM 1x is mad, i love it, you MTB blokes probably more familiar with it but i can't get enough.

some of the graphics are gash on them but they nailed this one. great kit and the bikes are bombproof. i think they sponsor a few world MTB riders as well these days

http://road.cc/content/review/229479-polygon-bend-ct5

Quote Originally Posted by q-money View Post
    out of the price range but i just bought a polygon bend CT5, is a killer bike for the price point. SRAM 1x is mad, i love it, you MTB blokes probably more familiar with it but i can't get enough.

some of the graphics are gash on them but they nailed this one. great kit and the bikes are bombproof. i think they sponsor a few world MTB riders as well these days

http://road.cc/content/review/229479-polygon-bend-ct5
    Love it. If I could only have one bike I'd grab one of these for sure. It gets the mix of urban usability and road capable pretty much spot on.

Love it. If I could only have one bike I'd grab one of these for sure. It gets the mix of urban usability and road capable pretty much spot on.
    yeah i commute on it and get it out on the weekends (not enough though)

the gearing runs out on the downhills but i rarely go that fast anyway. i was looking at a Focus Paralane, but it was a grand more and came with a lower end Apex 1X.

it is a very good bike - the components are top notch and the build is rock solid

looks like Froome been eating at that contaminated meat restaurant like Contador.

uncanny.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    looks like Froome been eating at that contaminated meat restaurant like Contador.

uncanny.
    Froome has been done for basically overusing Ventolin to treat his asthma. It's not a banned substance but cyclists are apparently restricted to standard / acceptable dosages.
    Froome claims his asthma was acting up and as a result he had to use his inhaler more often than usual,

I'm surprised he's not taking budesonide and eformoterol as a preventative - unless of course it's either on the banned list or reacts violently with the EPO.

Note: I seem to recall Wiggins using budesonide and eformoterol in the past when he was at Sky Racing to treat "allergies". So they either have a policy of hiring people with asthma or they have some really dodgy shit going down there.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 13-12-2017 at 10:43 PM.

Froome has been done for basically overusing Ventolin to treat his asthma. It's not a banned substance but cyclists are apparently restricted to standard / acceptable dosages.
    Froome claims his asthma was acting up and as a result he had to use his inhaler more often than usual,

I'm surprised he's not taking budesonide and eformoterol as a preventative - unless of course it's either on the banned list or reacts violently with the EPO.

Note: I seem to recall Wiggins using budesonide and eformoterol in the past when he was at Sky Racing to treat "allergies". So they either have a policy of hiring people with asthma or they have some really dodgy shit going down there.
    There has always been smoke around Sky and their Team Doctors.

We are just witnessing the modern day Lance Armstrong.

what gets me is that froome would be a fantastic rider regardless of how much ventolin the bloke uses - looks horrific on a bike yes, but the bloke has an engine and that's undoubtable.

the sky-train on the skids can only be good for cycling though, will open up the racing a bit more than seeing them ruthlessly shut down attacks from smaller teams with talented riders.

The testing is next to useless and will never be capable of being effective simply because the costs of an effective detection program would kill the sport.
    I personally don't think they should test for PEDs. Everyone that is competitive is on them and anyone that is not doesn't value winning highly enough.

The easy way to stop cheating is to simply change the rules to accommodate the use of peds. Problem solved.
    Last edited by The Dunster; 14-12-2017 at 04:13 PM.