Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Player Motivation/Dedication

Player Motivation/Dedication

I was going to post this in the Birraz thread but decided it could be its own discussion, and PLEASE try and keep it somewhat serious.

I don't mean to heap shit on Hoole, but he's the only one I follow on Instagram. Every photo he's either at the beach, having a beer, jumping into an inflatable pool of suds, at the beach, playing ping pong, eating pizza… etc etc

Now, before anyone jumps on my back, I realise professional footballers are allowed to live a normal life and have fun. BUT, does anyone else get the impression that our team just don't take any of this shit seriously? What do you reckon Messi was doing when he hit his first professional contract? Living it up around Barcelona, sipping coffees and just chillin with the boiz? I highly ****ing doubt it.

Is this an Aussie thing? As a nation, we're generally blessed with pretty good athletic ability and it doesn't take a miracle to harness it. I wonder if they just take this shit for granted. As long as they blend in with the team and do "good enough", then that'll do? No real motivation or dedication to become better and better?

Again, I don't know how often Hoole spends at training, but as soon as the training session is finished, do they just pack up and go head into the beach or cafe or whatever? Can anyone who attends training actually report on whether anyone stays back and keeps trying to improve things?

I get a chance to check out trainings every now and then.

Last year Goodwin stayed back to practice freekicks. Coaching staff were furious with him.

They seemingly take nothing seriously whilst at training. Even shooting drills they just have a laugh (note: Goodwin and Oxborrow are guns).
    OK

Quote Originally Posted by pv4 View Post
    I get a chance to check out trainings every now and then.

Last year Goodwin stayed back to practice freekicks. Coaching staff were furious with him.

They seemingly take nothing seriously whilst at training. Even shooting drills they just have a laugh (note: Goodwin and Oxborrow are guns).
    Could you tell what they were furious about? Did they want to lock up and go home but he was holding everyone up?

Banned
    In Europe they come in and are at the clubs training HQ first thing in the morning to the evening. They train for most of the day.

Our blokes come in and do a 2 hour session 4 days a week and people wonder why they are shit and Aussie football is behind the rest of the world.

Basically these blokes are training a session more than a NBN side.

Thats where the problem lies.

Work our blokes hard so it is ingrained in them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Could you tell what they were furious about? Did they want to lock up and go home but he was holding everyone up?
    Most likely concerned with some bullshit sports science crap about burnout/injury

It is something I identified as well Hunter. How "together" are they? I see them as a team of individuals. Did any player run up and give Birraz an encouraging word or did they all stand there and point the finger?

They just don't come across as being one whole team unit, I just can't put my finger on why or what is giving me that perception...
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    In Europe they come in and are at the clubs training HQ first thing in the morning to the evening. They train for most of the day.

Our blokes come in and do a 2 hour session 4 days a week and people wonder why they are shit and Aussie football is behind the rest of the world.

I wonder what the workloads are for the other a-league clubs. I remember Topor mentioning how much better training was at WSW. Can't remember what it was based on though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    It is something I identified as well Hunter. How "together" are they? I see them as a team of individuals. Did any player run up and give Birraz an encouraging word or did they all stand there and point the finger?

They just don't come across as being one whole team unit, I just can't put my finger on why or what is giving me that perception...
    the player that every newcastle jets newcastle herald expert loves to hate, the griff - was the only one to gee up birraz that i saw after his honk-fest

scores the goal and tells birraz to keep his head up and we're back in this

GVE needs to return and get these blokes smashing out the laps

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post

Josh mitchell was the only bloke who went back to offer support.

Not that it should matter but in both Gypo away games our blokes stood lined out across the park away from one another whilst the Gypos got in a huddle. Considering how we played and how they jumped out of the blocks may be we are missing something here?? To me we just look disinterested if we can't do this.

Even the ****ing NYL teams do it when playing before 100 people

Most likely concerned with some bullshit sports science crap about burnout/injury
    It was this, halo
    OK

Just take AC Milan for example:
    From their website:
    The Milanello structure has always been at the forefront in terms of training facilities and has been used on a number occasions by the Italian Football Federation ahead of important international tournaments including the European Championships in 1988, 1996 and 2000. Milanello has six regulation-size natural grass pitches, a synthetic pitch (35m. x 30), and another covered synthetic pitch (42m. x 24), there is also an outdoor grass pitch known as “the cage” due to the fact that the playing field is surrounded by a 2.30 m. wall where there is a 2,50 m. high fence. Inside “the cage” play continues without stopping, the ball is always moving in order to increase the speed of the game. In the wood there is a 1,200 m. long path set out at different gradients and during the season it is used for physical training (jogging and cycling) and for the rehabilitation of injured players. The main structure of the centre is made up of a building with two floors (and the basement) where there are offices, the players’ rooms, the main hall, the TV room, the billiard room; the bar, the kitchen, two dining rooms, the press room, the meeting room, the laundry room and the medical centre. Next to the main building there is a "guest house", where some of the youth players who have arrived from other parts of Italy or from abroad live. They attend school in the morning and train in the afternoon.

I'm not saying we can match it.....BUT 2 hours, 4 days a week is an absolute joke

It was this, halo
    That's a sad state of affairs :/

I'm even pretty confident the PFA restricts clubs from training too much, and if a player kicks up a stink then the PFA throw the book at the clubs.

That is why there are no Craig Johnstons coming through nowadays
    OK

I'm even pretty confident the PFA restricts clubs from training too much, and if a player kicks up a stink then the PFA throw the book at the clubs.

Clearly the PFA have never read the book Bounce!, because if they had then maybe they wouldn be more encouraging
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

WSW do an afternoon session at the gym around the corner from my place at least 3 time a week. But rotate what they actually do, ie: yoga, wieghts, cardio. Etc.

This is on top of morning sessions at blacktown.
    Go jetties

FFS that's even worse. How is this escaping the FFA? This is mind-boggling.

DON BRADMAN - GOLF BALL & A STUMP. What more needs to be said!!

There's not even a Barry Johnstone coming through. Our young kids have gone soft because of the a league. In my opinion they see a pathway to a professional contract and think they'll automatically move to Europe on the big money for the big clubs. Remember when Hoffman scored that double a few years ago and came out the next day and said he was thinking of heading to Germany...now a right back for a spoon battling team.

We have 1 player playing for a relegation battle club in the premiership and 1 guy in the bundesliga (I think). The young kids have failed to make the Olympics or got past the group stage of any of the world cups they've recently been in.

I played a youth tournament years ago with the likes of Schwarzer, poppa, Christian vieri and chi chi Mendez playing. 7 of them went to Europe the next year and made up some of the " golden generation", they were household names 5 years later...how many 21/22 year olds now are household names from playing in Europe?

If they only train 2 hours, 4 days a week why don't any of them get out to the schools now hen club regos are going on? Why don't the jets run a schools comp like the knights knockout....to much surfing and lattes...**** them...I bet most on here work their ass off for 40 hrs a week for a lot less then these pretenders and pretty boys and we fork out our hard earned to watch the dross they dish up each week.

They say the fans help them and give them a lift....how about they return the favour and work harder and make us believe they'd give everything every time...pro sports people...get paid to do something they love, get paid to wear stuff from some company that buys their loyalty and then treat us like fools by not earning our loyalty.

I went to training a couple of times last year in November when I did work experience at the Jets. On the Friday (for a sunday game) The players arrived around 8.30 for a 9 start. They had a video session in which I did not see. They then did a light warm up. They spent most of the session playing a slow tempo full field game. They did a few crossing and shooting drills as well. It seemed pretty low intensity as far as training sessions went. They finished at 11. Most players had showers and went home, a few younger ones like James Brown stayed back to work on their passing and shooting for a little while but were discouraged from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post
    There's not even a Barry Johnstone coming through. Our young kids have gone soft because of the a league. In my opinion they see a pathway to a professional contract and think they'll automatically move to Europe on the big money for the big clubs. Remember when Hoffman scored that double a few years ago and came out the next day and said he was thinking of heading to Germany...now a right back for a spoon battling team.

We have 1 player playing for a relegation battle club in the premiership and 1 guy in the bundesliga (I think). The young kids have failed to make the Olympics or got past the group stage of any of the world cups they've recently been in.

I played a youth tournament years ago with the likes of Schwarzer, poppa, Christian vieri and chi chi Mendez playing. 7 of them went to Europe the next year and made up some of the " golden generation", they were household names 5 years later...how many 21/22 year olds now are household names from playing in Europe?

If they only train 2 hours, 4 days a week why don't any of them get out to the schools now hen club regos are going on? Why don't the jets run a schools comp like the knights knockout....to much surfing and lattes...**** them...I bet most on here work their ass off for 40 hrs a week for a lot less then these pretenders and pretty boys and we fork out our hard earned to watch the dross they dish up each week.

They say the fans help them and give them a lift....how about they return the favour and work harder and make us believe they'd give everything every time...pro sports people...get paid to do something they love, get paid to wear stuff from some company that buys their loyalty and then treat us like fools by not earning our loyalty.
    And that's what frustrates me. Not just that our young kids don't have that mentality or drive to be as good as they can possibly be, but also that none of them seem that serious about what they're doing. They play for shits and giggles.

Quote Originally Posted by redwah View Post

Players do fortnightly go into schools for sessions, etc