Page 2 of 96 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: The Music Thread

You don't endorse illegal downloads but you recommend someone borrows it and rips it themselves? How are the two different? :insertwtfsmiley:

offspring are terrible

Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    You don't endorse illegal downloads but you recommend someone borrows it and rips it themselves? How are the two different? :insertwtfsmiley:
    At least someone paid for it that you know rather than some random person you and 50,000 other people got it from.

Ripped off a mate, 1 copy

illegal download 50,000

Pretty big difference if you ask me.

@ q- said the dub-step fan.

can't we just dubstep an offspring song & we'll all get along?
    OK

Yeah, but what if I have 10 mates who borrow the CD and rip it? What if I bring it in to work and 200 people on my floor rip it? Is it ok because it's not downloaded online?

That's like saying murdering one person is ok but murdering 50,000 is bad.

home taping is killing music

dub step is killing music, qman.

Also, need some smiley faces in here, can't portray humour without good variety

Yeah, but what if I have 10 mates who borrow the CD and rip it? What if I bring it in to work and 200 people on my floor rip it? Is it ok because it's not downloaded online?

If killing that one person saves 50,000 I'd say it's okay.

but all in all I said i don't endorse it, I never said don't do it. do what you have to do, just don't ask me to agree with it. Also just so we're clear, I don't lend albums to people either because they rarely treat them with respect or return them in due time. But I have ripped over 100 of my albums and given them to friends to do as they will. many of them most likely added them to file sharing networks, but what I don't know wont hurt me.

Being someone who plays an instrument, I have never understood the whole DJ'ing thing.. (Although, according to bandmates, it is debatable over wether or not the bass is an instrument or actually "the equivalent of the electronic triangle", haha..)

Deadmau5 had this to say:
    http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/2569...e-all-hit-play

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post
    Being someone who plays an instrument, I have never understood the whole DJ'ing thing.. (Although, according to bandmates, it is debatable over wether or not the bass is an instrument or actually "the equivalent of the electronic triangle", haha..)

being the first to take the piss out of bass players i'll defend you here, Bass when played correctly is as integral, if not the most essential instrument within a band. Just look at the alt rock scene of the 90's and any modern alt rock and you'll see plenty of examples that show the bass to be as rockin' as any other instrument. Particularly in funk and ska

only real bass riff that pops up in my head that makes me think "man, that bass was awesome".
    OK

Bass riffs ? Seriously have you not heard of The Ox (John Entwhistle).

He essentially wrote the book on how bass was played in rock bands.

My Generation, THe Real Me, I can see for Miles..... too many riffs to list to list.

brutally rapes small, cute dogs parksey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    @ q- said the dub-step fan.
    do you even know what dubstep is?

also, musicians make most of their money through touring so, as long as they put on a good show, they don't really have to worry about illegal downloads.

awesome bass riffs:

at the drive-in - quarantined
    interpol - evil
    tool - schism
    soundgarden - slaves & bulldozers

dubious that someone can only think of one song that has a memorable bass line.

someone needs to fix it so we can post more than one video at a time ffs.

ratm had one of the best rhythm sections of all time by the way. people always talk about morello's guitar, but they groove is what makes their songs so great.

Forget downloads killing music. The Harvard MBA's have been killing music and movies since 1975.

Quote Originally Posted by Bon View Post

deadmau5 is a weird one, easily trolled, yet excellent at trolling blokes. he is right about his show though, it's all visuals and not much substance. i don't think his crowds give a shit though, it's not like they've come to see bach or brahmsy or something.

as a bloke who plays records to other blokes in nightclubs, i'd agree with him that DJing is not the world's greatest skill. being able to do it in front of a crowd is another thing though.

i'd assume playing a real life musical instrument (something i can't do, except in my bedroom lololol) in front of a bunch of carnts would be pants shittingly scary. i've probably played a hundred gigs and i still shit myself when i get onto a big system, it's great when everything works - but you look like a bell-end if things **** up, especially at a billion decibels.

onto the next point, kind of makes me laugh when people get all uppity about "the art of DJ'ing"...unless you've got game it's probably best to shut your mouth. it's not like dj's cure cancer or anything, they're just some **** that can count to 4 and wasted a shitload of money on some records.

i mean there's a lot of kids out there that probably wouldn't know the first thing about playing actual real life vinyl, but could kill me on a pair of CDJs or on ableton or using traktor or whatever. but how many times is this ever going to happen? i'm comfortable that i have far superior taste to your average dubstep dave or drum and bass dean, but they probably don't give a ****.

on that note, i played a really good gig on saturday night that was purely mid-2000's drum and bass, the shit i used to go out and party to back in the day etc, was killer. crowd knew what they were on about, going mental for tunes that they hadn't heard in years, place going orf. i clanged a bit but people were enjoying it, and in the end isn't that what it's all about?

also...offspring

i do like like "gone away" by offspring

Anyone saying The Offspring is bad can go eat the biggest bag of dicks on the planet. Apart from two songs (which are the two worst songs they have ever recorded) the new album is ace, probably the best since Ixnay on the Hombre.

Also, new album from The Darkness next month... fap fap fap!

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknerd View Post
    Bass when played correctly is as integral, if not the most essential instrument within a band. Just look at the alt rock scene of the 90's and any modern alt rock and you'll see plenty of examples that show the bass to be as rockin' as any other instrument.
    Les Claypool is probably the most amazing musician I've ever seen live.

but what if that one person was Dexter Holland?