Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: 15/16 HAL Round 23 | Newcastle Jets v Western Syd Wanderers | Sunday 13/3/16 @ 500pm

Quote Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
    No it isn't, he gets paid to score goals. They win you as many points if they are from the spot or from your own half.
    Right, so here we disagree. Penalties are converted at a 76% rate on average, and there's a handful of players on the team that could do this.

You attacked Leonardo for not producing earlier. So if we had let him take our penalties - let's assume he converted at an average rate. He has 3 goals and Trif has 5. Would you then be satisfied by Leo's production from midfield but disenfranchised by Trif's output?

It's also fair to consider that he hasn't earned any of these penalties himself. These factors to me are more important than a black-and-white "goal" total.
    Last edited by steve136; 13-03-2016 at 09:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by StannyCFCJET View Post
    well then you tell me how he's soo good without the pens he'd only have 4 goals im pretty sure and he can score pens but id rather he score from open play
    nah man, see you can't bag the guy out for being lazy then go and want someone else to help your argument for you.

you know, cause that kind of makes you look....lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    And I don't argue with FR. The bloke is a legend and deserves great praise for his contributions to football in the Hunter.
    He is also the second best poster on the entire Foz behind you
    Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    sometimes there's more to life than just winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverRed View Post
    What a deadset ****ing coward **** you are
    Quote Originally Posted by MFKS View Post
    Seems like I am WRONG

Quote Originally Posted by plague View Post
    nah man, see you can't bag the guy out for being lazy then go and want someone else to help your argument for you.

you know, cause that kind of makes you look....lazy.
    Lets just agree to disagree but if Triffo is still there next season mark my words we wont make finals and it will down to his lack of goals
    Quote Originally Posted by lquiquer View Post
    Welcome to the circus ... And I can't argue any of your points... In contention for best first post of the year... ��

Quote Originally Posted by parksey View Post
    love at first sight

Lets just agree to disagree but if Triffo is still there next season mark my words we wont make finals and it will down to his lack of goals
    No worries, you just made it into my diary right next to the entry when i describe how much my parents cramp my style when i see people in shopping centres... lol.

You're the one doing the attacking, we are just poking holes in your so called "facts''.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeterpool View Post
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Everyone does realize that we conceded a goal, and that was the reason we lost today??

If we had a 0-0 draw then maybe you can blame the striker for missing chances. Just thought i'd throw that out there.
    I do it just for you. My goal in life is to have a quote in someone's signature.

Everyone does realize that we conceded a goal, and that was the reason we lost today??

If we had a 0-0 draw then maybe you can blame the striker for missing chances. Just thought i'd throw that out there.
    Yes, but the vitriol directed towards the guys up top is like a snowball that been building all season.

We're equal fifth best in terms of goals conceded this season. Not the best, but not bad by our standards.

We're last in terms of goals scored, 5 behind even CCM.

So while you're absolutely correct that if we hadn't conceded today we wouldn't have lost, it's hard to argue against the idea that our real weakness this season has been our ability to score goals, rather than prevent them.

As I said, your point is definitely right. But given the framework of our season, it's understandable that a lot of frustration is vented towards our strikers.

Well, I'll agree that your argument is threadbare but in fairness next season I'll sit on the halfway line with my hand over one eye so I don't see the defending half of the field.

By the end of the season I'll have no choice but to blame those darn strikers.

Good day.

Quote Originally Posted by steve136 View Post
    We're equal fifth best in terms of goals conceded this season. Not the best, but not bad by our standards.

We're last in terms of goals scored, 5 behind even CCM.
    We are also 1st (so....last?) in clearances which prob means we are spending way more time in our defensive third, and prob lucky we haven't conceded more goals (your earlier point about Biraz was legit spot on though).

But

Watching the games we just look so disjointed compared to other teams. We don't 'seem' to score a lot of well worked team goals where everything goes to plan. We scramble at both ends of the park. For that you can blame a variety of things, but certainly not one bloke in particular.

Banned
    You ****s defending Milos ain't fooling me

If I was here saying he is great you would be telling us why he is shit

You might be fooling the plebs but you ain't fooling me

Today's game has me shifting camp away from re-signing Trifunovic. I just don't think he does enough off the ball and he isn't scoring regularly enough for that to be forgotten. For mine I have seen enough for Leo and Nobby to be re-signed but Trifunivic and Alividoc to go.

Now we can't make the semis, would like to see Nobby given the opportunity to lead the line.

Personally, after weighing up recent performances Triff Leo and Enver can go. I would be keeping Morten only
    Subscribe to The Jetstream Podcast http://www.newcastlefootball.net/podcast

Banned
    Quite frankly not that upset we lost.

Take great comfort that we beat the Gypos they are finishing last and we ain't

Season is a raging success

More pissed at the lack of action from the Management to change the fate of the game.

Losing is one thing and we have had plenty of experience but go down swinging FFS

Go down swinging? The last 15 minutes our mob showed more life than the first 75 minutes.

No coincidence that Milos was off in that period. He has to go. I was supportive of him a month or two ago when he started to find some momentum, but my initial point remains. He doesn't look hungry enough and doesn't work hard enough. Watch the chances he butchered just yesterday and it's a combination of laziness, lack of killer instinct, lack of any footballing intelligence. So what are we getting from him?

And who was stupid enough to bring up Nichols & Novillo when comparing goals scored? Those guys aren't strikers, nor are they the outright top scorers in their teams. Novillo's not even City's second best. We definitely struggle for goals all over the park & those positions should also be addressed, but that doesn't take away from Milos. As an import he's held to a higher standard, and he's simply not good enough. We might as well have signed Blake Powell, who's Australian, playing in a worse team, and who doesn't need dot shots to help his tally.

Sadness

The way football is played in this league, you need quick, mobile front 3 - at the very least a striker. Look at the successful teams in the league and the attributes of the striker they have - Berisha, Maclaren, Bridge, Fornaroli, Keogh. They are all pretty similar. Teams without a mobile front 3 are struggling - Sydney, Wellington, Us and the Gypos. The team that don't conform to this are Adelaide. They're probably a good example how a team who break away from the type of striker mentioned can be successful. There's no reason with Milos leading the line we can't be successful - we just can't expect him to do what the rest of the league do.

Our problem is simply scoring goals and I think it's more to do with the front 4 unit than 1 individual player. Not including yesterday, we've had 193 shots on goal this season. We've have 51 on target - just under 2.5 per match. We've scored 20 goals so the conversion is pretty good. Behind Milos, our leading scorer is on 3 and he's now playing for a team two hours down the road. Behind him is Kanta and Norstrand who have scored 2 each. We've only had 8 different scorers which is even less than the shambles of a season last year when we had 10.

Plague makes a good point - the chance Milos fluffed in the first half was only a chance because of his excellent ball out to Enver. He then busted a gut to get in the box but ran out of steam. He wlaos pressed a number of times to close down.

Instead of lambasting Milos, I think we need to look at the front 4 unit as a whole. Their tracking back yesterday was poor. Leomardo, while positive when he has the ball in so much as he's always looking to run forward, he sooks everytime he's dispossessed or the play breaks down. Nordstrand was less effective this week and the same can be said for the last. Enver seems able to break the play down well - it's a shame it's more often than not our attacking move.

The Wanderers pressed very well as a unit yesterday and it forced our play and created countless turnovers. Bridge pressed from the front and really impressed me. Overall our players looked lost, looked on a different wavelength. Almost like they were strangers and hadn't played together.

My theory - they played their grand final two weeks ago and it's taking some time to recover from that. But our front unit needs to be refreshed. I would start by dropping Enver and Milos. I'd move Nordstrand central and retain Leo. I'd introduce Kitto or Cooper left, Lundy or Brennan right.
    Last edited by Jeterpool; 14-03-2016 at 08:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimario View Post
    Great. He's gone from Liaoning Whowin to Newcastle Wholose.
    The Championship Chronicles - The Jetstream's review of the 2007/08 season. www.newcastlefootball.net/chronicles

well we went how many games in a row without scoring during the season
    you cant go into a game purely relying on not conceding, this isn't the serie a
    we will more often than note concede

Quote Originally Posted by Nou Camp View Post
    well we went how many games in a row without scoring during the season
    you cant go into a game purely relying on not conceding, this isn't the serie a
    we will more often than note concede
    The serie A don't play that way anymore.

The way football is played in this league, you need quick, mobile front 3 - at the very least a striker. Look at the successful teams in the league and the attributes of the striker they have - Berisha, Maclaren, Bridge, Fornaroli, Keogh. They are all pretty similar. Teams without a mobile front 3 are struggling - Sydney, Wellington, Us and the Gypos. The team that don't conform to this are Adelaide. They're probably a good example how a team who break away from the type of striker mentioned can be successful. There's no reason with Milos leading the line we can't be successful - we just can't expect him to do what the rest of the league do.

Our problem is simply scoring goals and I think it's more to do with the front 4 unit than 1 individual player. Not including yesterday, we've had 193 shots on goal this season. We've have 51 on target - just under 2.5 per match. We've scored 20 goals so the conversion is pretty good. Behind Milos, our leading scorer is on 3 and he's now playing for a team two hours down the road. Behind him is Kanta and Norstrand who have scored 2 each. We've only had 8 different scorers which is even less than the shambles of a season last year when we had 10.

Plague makes a good point - the chance Milos fluffed in the first half was only a chance because of his excellent ball out to Enver. He then busted a gut to get in the box but ran out of steam. He wlaos pressed a number of times to close down.

Instead of lambasting Milos, I think we need to look at the front 4 unit as a whole. Their tracking back yesterday was poor. Leomardo, while positive when he has the ball in so much as he's always looking to run forward, he sooks everytime he's dispossessed or the play breaks down. Nordstrand was less effective this week and the same can be said for the last. Enver seems able to break the play down well - it's a shame it's more often than not our attacking move.

The Wanderers pressed very well as a unit yesterday and it forced our play and created countless turnovers. Bridge pressed from the front and really impressed me. Overall our players looked lost, looked on a different wavelength. Almost like they were strangers and hadn't played together.

My theory - they played their grand final two weeks ago and it's taking some time to recover from that. But our front unit needs to be refreshed. I would start by dropping Enver and Milos. I'd move Nordstrand central and retain Leo. I'd introduce Kitto or Cooper left, Lundy or Brennan right.
    The CCM have a very mobile front three. Austin and Ferrera (spelling) are two of the quickest going around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by halo se7en View Post
    Go down swinging? The last 15 minutes our mob showed more life than the first 75 minutes.

No coincidence that Milos was off in that period. He has to go. I was supportive of him a month or two ago when he started to find some momentum, but my initial point remains. He doesn't look hungry enough and doesn't work hard enough. Watch the chances he butchered just yesterday and it's a combination of laziness, lack of killer instinct, lack of any footballing intelligence. So what are we getting from him?

And who was stupid enough to bring up Nichols & Novillo when comparing goals scored? Those guys aren't strikers, nor are they the outright top scorers in their teams. Novillo's not even City's second best. We definitely struggle for goals all over the park & those positions should also be addressed, but that doesn't take away from Milos. As an import he's held to a higher standard, and he's simply not good enough. We might as well have signed Blake Powell, who's Australian, playing in a worse team, and who doesn't need dot shots to help his tally.
    I would say the reason why we looked better in the last 15 was down to

Wankers shutting up shop. They stopped playing and looked to see it out
    Also their legs went a little and the fatigue set in. They were not pressing but holding position

To give us credit for getting something to happen at this time is stretching the truth.

The initiative was given to us

We never took it

after yesterday I'm on the keep Leo bus

he was ****ing immense, I just wish he had some better players around him. His first touch has to be one of the best in the league

Enver I feel so sorry for, if he played in an empty stadium and took a breath before every decision he made I reckon he would nail it, unfortunately that isn't happening. He gets himself in great positions but his decision making is probably the worst in the team.

Thought Cowburn was excellent again, steve u was immense as well.

I actually think we played well just didn't take our chances but wanderers didn't as well, thank god castellan can't shoot to save his life.

Legitimately I think we are 3-4 players short to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by militiamon View Post
    Body gets Stretch drunk, miracle occurs.

Hail Body!