Page 8 of 26 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 FFA Cup (local NNSW thread)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFish View Post
    Belswans 4 Adamstown 1
    Great result for the swans not surprised that they won though

No surprise with this result.

One can only hope one day Northern stop protecting Buds and Valo, who clearly are not as good as the top half dozen teams in New FM!

Olympic 3 -2 in extra time Over Maitland,2-2 after 90m

Quote Originally Posted by 1987 View Post
    Hearing Adamstown went down 4-1, did they rotate? Poor result
    Therein is the issue. Most people in local football are ignorant to reality. The perception that a weak NPL side must have rotated if they lost to a good NL1. This was on the cards and the gap was highlighted when Edgey were pushed to the brink by New Lambton. Northern are all tucked up in bed or watching Master Chef. The quality of the NPL is as poor as it has been and across Youth to Seniors local football needs a shake up soon or its relevance will continue to erode. Well done Belswans. Youth football in 14s and 15s is about to roll out a mid week comp where the Top 6 NPL teams play in a Cup and the bottom 4 play the Top 6 NL1. They should do the same in Senior football. It might remove the stigma around NPL being superior across the board. Open the gates Mr Eland, let good Clubs join the party and the weak ones will eventually disappear. Survival of the fittest.

A lot of negative comments about Adamstown but they rested all their senior players last night. Oldest player on the pitch for the Buds was 21. Its easy to criticise the Buds but there are some good kids coming through.

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    A lot of negative comments about Adamstown but they rested all their senior players last night. Oldest player on the pitch for the Buds was 21. Its easy to criticise the Buds but there are some good kids coming through.
    So who in the buds squad is over 22 and is classed as a senior player??
    From the games I’ve seen this year, all players would be under 22

Quick question. Not meaning to insult any clubs.
    But why would you not prioritise this cup?
    No relegation in NPL. Nobody cares, no consequences if you field an understrength team either side of the midweek game.
    FFA cup has potential to bring national coverage and exposure, potential paid trip away, sponsorship avenues, get to chuck “FFA Cup round of xx” on your Insta page. Edgeworth and Broadmeadow magic are developing their national brand by competing in this comp, Jaffas and Olympic have made it Historically too right? South Cardiff in the inaugural year, arguably the peak of their Top tier time (and GF loss). I just think there’s a lot to gain.

I can understand if you are in a relegation battle, and need comp points, but that’s not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post
    No relegation in NPL. Nobody cares, no consequences if you field an understrength team either side of the midweek game.
    FFA cup has potential to bring national coverage and exposure, potential paid trip away, sponsorship avenues, get to chuck “FFA Cup round of xx” on your Insta page. Edgeworth and Broadmeadow magic are developing their national brand by competing in this comp, Jaffas and Olympic have made it Historically too right? South Cardiff in the inaugural year, arguably the peak of their Top tier time (and GF loss). I just think there’s a lot to gain.

I can understand if you are in a relegation battle, and need comp points, but that’s not the case.
    Brem is spot on. For a team that can’t make the semis and can’t be relegated. This should be the main priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Bremsstrahlung View Post

Olympic have never made it on the national stage. From memory the clubs that have made the final 32 have been Edgeworth, Magic , Jaffas ,Maitland, Azzurri and South Cardiff. Agree with everything else that you have said and the resting players line is a cop out . Adamstown have nothing to play for bar the wooden spoon , so you would be playing your best side last night. Plus bar Denis Faj they have no senior players at all

Quote Originally Posted by Milland View Post
    as a club i would be embarrassed!
    not sure how a club can rest there older 22 year old players, and only play 21 year olds against a tier below, to be smashed 4-1

maybe playing Northern League 1 in 2022, will be an excellent opportunity for the good young kids coming through to develop.
    Northern seriously needs to remove Buds, Valo and Lakes- they have had enough chances over the years and consistently finish bottom, maybe a change of colours and committees is needed

Quote Originally Posted by 2285 View Post
    Olympic 3 -2 in extra time Over Maitland,2-2 after 90m
    Got a chance to watch this, was a fantastic game to watch especially the fact it went the full distance, good crowd up there aswell. Maitland.controlled the first half but seemed to hit a wall late in the game with Olympic running over them.

Adamstown last night played a team of mostly 17-19 year olds . You’d kind of expect belswans with the experience they have to overcome an inexperienced Adamstown side , probably not the 4-1 result which it was but belswans have a team of guys who have played for 15 years+ at a top level. Adamstown with a new coach are going through a rebuild and are a couple of experienced players off being competitive again. Credit to the swans however where it is due.

Quote Originally Posted by W8 WATCHER View Post
    not sure how a club can rest there older 22 year old players, and only play 21 year olds against a tier below, to be smashed 4-1

maybe playing Northern League 1 in 2022, will be an excellent opportunity for the good young kids coming through to develop.
    Northern seriously needs to remove Buds, Valo and Lakes- they have had enough chances over the years and consistently finish bottom, maybe a change of colours and committees is needed
    NNSW should be fining them for disrespecting the cup

Quote Originally Posted by W8 WATCHER View Post

Many of the NL teams can't field youth teams in all age groups so before you go about complaining who can do what - might need to get those houses in order.

The good young kids can play in NPL teams if they want to trial. nothing stopping them.

BTW - someone has to be at the bottom. rotate the teams and it might just be NL1 teams anyway...

Having watched adamstown a lot this year and a bit of valo despite results they arnt that far off the rest of the comp. results always sound worse than the performances suggest. Eg losing 4-0 in any game in football sounds like the team have been dominated from start to finish but this isn’t the case.
    I agree there should be relegation and maybe these two teams would be more beneficial going down and rebuilding then coming up.
    But after the result last night and new Lambton pushing edgey a couple weeks ago surely it’s now the time NNSW expand the NPL. 12 team with 4 extra games only helps the younger players of our region to develop and I think there’s enough quality to fill two more teams.
    New Lambton and Belswans should be promoted then relegation should start next season. This gives buds and valo time to get their “young teams” ready and if they arnt good enough they should go down.
    Maybe nnsw could also look to add the Taree team that play in the NpL youth into Newfm senior football too, as these kids have no where to go once they turn 17. coffs has enough quality too but that’s probably too far travel in semi pro and amateur comps.

Quote Originally Posted by ABCDEF View Post
    Having watched adamstown a lot this year and a bit of valo despite results they arnt that far off the rest of the comp. results always sound worse than the performances suggest. Eg losing 4-0 in any game in football sounds like the team have been dominated from start to finish but this isn’t the case.
    I agree there should be relegation and maybe these two teams would be more beneficial going down and rebuilding then coming up.
    But after the result last night and new Lambton pushing edgey a couple weeks ago surely it’s now the time NNSW expand the NPL. 12 team with 4 extra games only helps the younger players of our region to develop and I think there’s enough quality to fill two more teams.
    New Lambton and Belswans should be promoted then relegation should start next season. This gives buds and valo time to get their “young teams” ready and if they arnt good enough they should go down.
    Maybe nnsw could also look to add the Taree team that play in the NpL youth into Newfm senior football too, as these kids have no where to go once they turn 17. coffs has enough quality too but that’s probably too far travel in semi pro and amateur comps.
    We had a 12 team comp... it was a disaster... everyweek teams were getting beat by 8+... even in First Grade Magic beat Westy 13-0 both legs... Adamstown, Westy, Cessnock whipping boys... so we changed it to an 8 team comp, 3 rounds... probably the strongest the comp has ever been.

Relegation before expansion.

Yeah 15/20 years ago we did. The NPL system has come in with “elite” development if u like for juniors over the last 10 years. Most of the people in this forum are apart of football years ago and they think they’re all good footballers. The quality now is far better than it used to be (relatively as still only local league I know).

I’ve heard “NNSW should stop protecting buds and valentine”. The top teams don’t want more games because they can’t afford to pay their players the stupid fees they do now for only 18 games. How bout NNSW stop protecting these teams then. The most disgraceful part of all of this is the fees come out of kid’s parents pockets. I wonder what Magic and Jaffas think of this idea... oh wait NNSW is favouring everyone else...

100%, Adamstown this year have not been that and especially for a young side full of inexperience. Results may show otherwise but for example against magic, they put on a really good display for 50-60 mins and unfortunately after that ended up losing 3-0. Definitely not a 3-0 game could’ve had a few goals themselves. Scoreline doesn’t represent how teams are actually playing. Results will come

Quote Originally Posted by ABCDEF View Post
    Having watched adamstown a lot this year and a bit of valo despite results they arnt that far off the rest of the comp. results always sound worse than the performances suggest. Eg losing 4-0 in any game in football sounds like the team have been dominated from start to finish but this isnÂ’t the case.
    But after the result last night and new Lambton pushing edgey a couple weeks ago surely itÂ’s now the time NNSW expand the NPL. 12 team with 4 extra games only helps the younger players of our region to develop and I think thereÂ’s enough quality to fill two more teams.
    Maybe nnsw could also look to add the Taree team that play in the NpL youth into Newfm senior football too, as these kids have no where to go once they turn 17. coffs has enough quality too but thatÂ’s probably too far travel in semi pro and amateur comps.
    Considering Taree is 0 points from 6 games in the local Mid North Coast comp I don't think adding them to the premier competitions down here would be good for anyone. While the youth teams from the rest of NNSW (outside of Newcastle/Hunter Valley) can be strong it doesn't equate to senior football as most move away from those areas (usually to Newcastle haha) once completing school. You'll find there is already a decent number of players floating around NPL/NL1 that played their youth football in the regional areas.

The bare fact of it IMO is there is just not enough talent in Newcastle to have 10-12 competitive NPL first grade sides. You put Lakes/Valo/Buds down and they will dominate NL1 and their replacements will struggle in NPL, as it was before they did away with promotion and relegation. I think people get carried away with a close results/upsets between teams in each league. A couple of results doesn't mean the lower team would thrive (survive) in the division up unless they basically changed up their whole roster. Same as the world over where there is upsets in cup matches.

From my understanding, the whole point of suspending promotion and relegation was to give the struggling teams a chance to get their ducks in a row, maybe sign and grow some talent and make a competitive competition. Surely it's been long enough now to see that it is not working/going to work. Time to re-introduce promotion and relegation. We will still likely have the same contenders each season but at least the there will be more excitement and the door will be open for the occasional changing of the guard when a club gets things together off the park.

[QUOTE=ABCDEF;248081]Yeah 15/20 years ago we did. The NPL system has come in with “elite” development if u like for juniors over the last 10 years. Most of the people in this forum are apart of football years ago and they think they’re all good footballers. The quality now is far better than it used to be (relatively as still only local league I know).

I dont know about that, they might be quicker, the games is quicker but quality is very debatable.
    the elite development is a joke and quite obviously is not working...